CHAPTER 1

The Purple Haired Manager

It's a Sunday and only the sound of the utensils meeting the plate can be heard around the Kim's house. An occasional chit chat here and there but mostly them humming with how great the food is. 

"Jisoo, my dear are you okay? Don't you like our food?" Her mother worriedly glanced at her. Finding it weird that her bubbly daughter is too silent on their weekly family dinner.

Jisoo glanced at her sister who only answered her with a raised brow and a of her chin towards her parents. 

"I'm okay Mom." 

Her answer earned her a foot on her shin which she just brushed off with a flippant smile to her sister. 

"Jisoo, I have already arranged a schedule for your graduate studies tutorial for the entrance....." 

Her father's words seems to go on deaf ears as he went on to talk about how much he paid and what he had to go through to find a private tutor for her precious maknae. But It also doesn't take much of an effort to see her tight jaw as her father went on to talk about her graduate studies.

She hates this. She hates that she can't decide for herself. Hell she doesn't even know what she wants. All she knows is that this isn't the life she wants. 

"Jisoo, do you understand?" The annoyance on her father's tone was obvious. Jisoo knows about this because he was scolded numerous times for not paying attention. "Pay attention..."

All it takes is another kick on her shin and she spoke.All eyes on her because for the first time she had interrupted her father. For the first time someone from the family interrupted the head of the family.

"Actually..." 

Her mother glanced at her worriedly.

She could feel her sisters hand holding hers under the table. Jisoo swallowed her nervousness when she felt her father's piercing stare.

It's now or never, she thinks.

"Actually, I don't want to go abroad and study." 

Silence fell around the table. Her mother was the first one to speak.

"That's fine honey. I'm sure th...."

They all flinched when his father's fork was laid down with a rather loud noise.

"Kim Jisoo, are you listening to yourself?" He wiped his mouth with the table napkin.

She took a deep breath, so as not to stutter.

"Yes, dad. I have thought this over a billion times." She too wiped with the table napkin. "Infact, the only reason I joined you all today is because I wanted to tell you that I would like to move out of the house and live independently." 

Jisoo frowned when she heard her father scoff. 

"It seems like California really had blown your ego, huh?" His father's sharp look was enough to ignite the fear on her chest but she's not one to back down, they all know that. Her father knows that because he keeps on gloating that she took after him.

"Well it sure did, dad. I guess I have to thank you for sending me off abroad in middle school." Her words dripping with sarcasm. 

"What?" They all flinched when her father's hand met the table. "Is this how you show gratitude Jisoo?" 

Mrs. Kim reached for her husband's hand. Trying her best to pacify his anger, all the while looking with pleading eyes to her daughter.

Jisoo took a tired breath, not wanting to drag the conversation longer. "Dad, I'm thankful for all that you gave me but I don't think I want to receive more from you and Mom." Her voice was laced with pleading. "But I'm tired of having to say yes about everything you want, I'm tired of people saying I have all this things because you're my parents." Tears were b in her eyes. "Dad I just want to find who I am." She whispered. 

Her sister went on to hug her as she spilled the words from her chest. She wanted to say more but seeing that her mother seems to be on the brim of crying too, she held back her words.

Silence engulfed them all. Jisoo glanced at the far side of the kitchen and saw some helpers whispering. They we're probably talking about her ungratefulness or her braveness, if what she did can be called as that.

"Okay." They we're surprised at her father's quick settlement of the issue. His voice sounded bright but his dark expression betrayed him.

"That's it?" Her sister whispered beside her.

Even her mother seems to be surprised of her husband's passive reaction.

"If you feel confined with how your mother and I handle things at this household then you may go." Her father stood from their table. "Pack your things tomorrow but don't forget to leave your credit cards here, I don't want you wasting my hard earned money for you rebellious stunt." 

They all watched as his father went on to his office inside their house. 

"Did he just stay rebellious stunt?" Jisoo was ready to retaliate but her mother gave her a pointed look.

"Jisoo-yah, is that how you feel about us?" Her mother looked hurt and she can't help but feel sorry for what she did but did is for her own sanity, she thinks this is for the best.

"Mom, you know that's not what I meant, right?" Jisoo went to her mother's side and hugged her. "I'm very much grateful that you and Dad gave me more than what I asked for but you see, I'm not getting any younger and I just want to do something for myself right now." 

"If you don't want to study abroad I can talk to your dad about it. Just don't move out of the house. You don't even know how to cook." Her mother worriedly rumbled. 

Ji-yoon the oldest of the two sisters giggled at her mother's worried state. 

"Mom, it's not like Jisoo's leaving the country. She just wanted to leave out of her comfort zone."

Jisoo nodded in agreement. That was what she wanted to say, really. 

"Did you felt that too Ji-yoon?" Their mother asked. Her voice was like a thin ice covering the river, one wrong move and water would slip out.

The eldest nodded with a sigh. They both know that there is no point on hiding it now.

Her mother cried. "Now I feel like a bad mother." 

The Kim sister laugh at their mother's sudden outburst.

"Awww, mom. You're the best mom anyone could ever have. It's not your fault that you wanted the best for us and we understand that." Ji-yoon spoke as they both hug Mrs. Kim.

"But still I feel bad about not knowing how you both feel." 

"Mom its fine really. This." Jisoo pointed around them. "This is just us growing up."

"Awww, my babies." Mrs. Kim wailed even louder. "Why do you guys have to grow up so fast." 

The Kim sisters giggled at their mother. They stayed hugging for quite a while nd before it becomes awkward her mother spoke.

"Honey do you really want to move out of the house?" 

Jisoo chuckled. "For the nth time mom, yes, I want to move out of the house." 

Her mother searched her face and when she seems to be appeased of her feelings she smiled. A forced one because she really didn't like the idea of Jisoo moving out of their house especially now that Ji-yoon had been living independently two years ago. Which she did because their father deemed it as age appropriate.

"Okay, just let me talk to your dad. He's probably bawling his eyes out in his office." Mrs. Kim walked towards the office area but not before hearing what the youngest Kim said.

"Tell him I'm sorry and that I love him mom." 

                                  /////////

"Oppa, why do you have to get married so soon?" Jennie is whining but she couldn't care less. Her manager for 4 years is leaving and she can't help but feel sad about the news. She had treated him no less than her own family.

"Yah, Jennie, marrying at 30 isn't 'soon'." Yunho, her manager chuckled as he ruffled the younger girls' hair.

Jennie was pouting as she fixes her hair. 

"Who would drive me at 3 a.m. when I need to eat some ramen? Or get me a milk ice cream when I'm upset? Why can't you just rest for a while then comeback." 

Yunho chuckled a bit more at the sulking Jennie.

"You'll have your new manager Jennie-yah. I bet whoever that person is would do great." 

"Would my new manager be as annoying as you?" She was teasing him and he knows it.

"I'm probably the worst so no worries." 

"Damn right you are." They laughed as the mood lighten.

Yunho was like a brother to Jennie and so was she to him. Among her group mates, Jennie has the best friendship with her manager and that's because Yunho is an amazing guy.

He was not pushy at all and tries his best to protect Jennie at all cost. Even if it was disobeying some of the companies law. Yunho was the brother Jennie wishes she have and now that he's resigning on his job makes her feel melancholic.

Yunho noticed the younger girls sudden silence so he spoke.

"You know what? I've heard that they we're looking for a female manager." He has this tone, as if what his saying is a top secret by the government.

"Is that supposed to make me feel good?" Jennie rolled her eyes 

"Well I guess so?" He chuckled. "You always complained about me lacking empathy about your boy problems so a female manager would help." 

"I'm sorry what?"

"Your boy problem. I heard you talking to Seulgi. You were complaining about me, being insensitive of your love life." He was laughing now.

Jennie was embarrassed of how she acted back then. She just debuted and she was not happy about the no dating policy. She was even more frustrated when she knew about the inkigayo sandwich and why Yunho was so against her eating them. She chuckled at the thought.

"Another female manager huh?" 

Yunho scoffed at her obvious attempt to change their topic.

"Well, apparently the company is being more lenient with the rules. You know new administration and all." 

Jennie squinted her eyes. "This company is starting to be more lenient with females. Is the new CEO a lady?" She leaned closer to him only to be pushed away on her face with his calloused hands.

"Aigoo you're too nosy sometimes. Just wait it out." He chuckled. "They would announce it anyway so just shut up." 

"Well you opened the topic." She crossed her arms on her chest.

He shrugged. As if to say 'oh well'

"Anyway, here's your invitation." He was smiling from ear to ear as he handed her the live coral hued parchment.

"Woah, that's a mean invitation. I bet this costs a fortune." Jennie teased.

"Of course it does, I did not marry on my 30's just to have a mideocre wedding celebration." He smiled smugly.

"Your metrouality is showing." Jennie chuckled. "I bet you'd wear a pink champagne colored suit."

The older guys mouth was agape.

"I knew it." Jennie lets  out a boisterous laugh. "You're too vain oppa, your bride is supposed to be the pretty one on your wedding day." 

"Aish, you brat. That's my wedding too, I'm in charge of charming people." He posed while wiggling his eyebrows for emphasis. 

"Yah, stop that you're disgusting."

"Just make sure that you'll be there or else, I'd cry at my own wedding day." It was his turn to pout.

"Well I guess you wouldn't cry then." She sounded disappointed but they both know better.

He grinned before engulfing  her in a tight hug. Surely she would miss her Yunho oppa.