Chapter Y

Marrying Sehun
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

***

May

Soojung,

I'm fine. Doped up. Tell Red cool ranch is better. Kit Kats are boss.

Syd

"OHHHHH MYYYYYY GOOOODDDDDD!" Sehun had to pull his cell phone away from his ear while his mom screamed happily on the other end. "Eli! Eli get your over here, the boy's finally done somethin' right and procreated!"

"Jesus, Mom." Sehun mumbled, shaking his head in his hand while I laughed at his misery. We'd gotten the all clear from my OBGYN and we decided to start spreading the joyous news, starting with his parents. A decision that Sehun instantly regretted. "Will y'all calm down? This isn't that big of a deal.

"Boy, don't you go lyin' to your mama," my father-in-law bellowed on the other end. "How you feelin' Miss Soojung?"

I grinned even though they couldn't see me, Sehun squeezing my hand from across the table. "Better. Not really sick anymore."

Eli chuckled. "You were only sick because you got his ugly mug growin' in your belly."

"Goddamnit!" Sehun rolled his eyes while I fell into another giggle fit. "Why? Why do I tell them anything?"

"Shut up boy. Y'all got names picked out?"

My sweet husband tickled my palm absentmindedly while I tried to catch his fingers in my hand. "Not yet for a girl, but if it's a boy we decided on Haeun Jung Oh."

They fell silent. Just as he looked at the screen to make sure we didn't get disconnected Mary Anne whisper, "Oh Soojung, that's beautiful. Y'all done made your daddy start cryin'."

"I'm not cryin', damnit! I got some damn dust in my eye. Sehun... I'm proud of you, boy. Y'all gonna raise a beautiful family." It was my love's turn to start tearing up...until Eli followed up with "You know the kid's initials are gonna be EAT, right? He's gonna be a little porker."

Sehun growled and I started laughing again.

***

Dear Syd,

Sorry I haven't written the past couple weeks, finals have been nuts...but I'm done! Your mom said your professors allowed you to take your exams via webcam and I know you kicked . I relayed the memo about snacks to Sehun so enjoy your nine bags of Cool Ranch Doritos. 

I started working for my dad this week. It's not as nerve-wracking as I thought it would be, right now it's a lot of dull paperwork to file. I did get to sit in on a meeting for a merger which was...super boring, but it's all a stepping stone, have to pay my dues, blah blah blah.

Sehun made a decision to flip houses again. He bought a duplex in New Haven to renovate, they started demo last week. He's so jazzed to be to be working; I think he was bored staying home all day. He's still toying with the idea of teaching but he's happy where he is now. I'll just be glad when he stops tracking mud in the house. He says the right side will be livable by the time you get back. It's by Windsor Lake and it's so pretty and peaceful at night. He's sending you a catalog of drawer pulls and light fixtures, he said pick what you want and he'll make it happen.

Sam said you were looking much better when he saw you last weekend and you even cracked a smile or two. I'm glad he got to see you; he has been a permanent fixture in our kitchen because he misses you so much. I'm sad you're going to miss graduation, but maybe when you come back we can take a celebratory girl's trip since we're pushing back the vow renewal. Anywhere you want to go, or we can kick Sehun out of the house and veg for a week. Or something. Anything. I'm rambling, sorry. I hope you're feeling a little better. I can't wait to hug you.

Love, Soojung

P.S. Sehun wants me to ask you "Why doesn't a Rabbi charge for circumcision?" He's in a dad jokes phase, sorry.

"Damnit Soojung, you're bein' completely unreasonable!"

I snatched a few tissues from Dr. Owens's glass coffee table and wiped my eyes angrily. "It's not unreasonable for me to want my job and school! You can't just demand I defer for a year because I'm -- "

"Pregnant, Soojung!" Sehun interrupted rudely. "I am all for the "woman having it all" mantra but you can't work full time, take a full course load, take care of our baby and take care of yourself! Something has to drop, whether it's school or working for Byron and believe me, I don't care which."

"Okay guys, hold on," Dr. Owen halted our screaming match. "Let's set the emotion aside for a moment. Soojung, can you tell Sehun why completing graduate school and your internship at the same time is so important to you? I'll be honest, that is an exorbitant amount of work for anyone, and pregnancy will be added stress on both of you."

"It's not just important to me, it's important to us." I turned to a completely confused look on Sehun's face. "Before the fire happened, before Mexico...I had already decided to push school back a couple of years because I knew starting a family was important to you...us. Important to us, and had I done so at that time I would have ended up resenting you. I can't give up something in my life because you don't think I can handle it. I need you to stop preemptively looking for the next depression spell or panic attack. I know it comes from a good place, and I love that you love me so much but you need to trust that, occasionally, I know what's best for our family too. If I didn't think I could do it, I wouldn't be; and if it gets to be too much I'll pull back and we can reassess. Okay?"

My husband blinked a few times and I braced myself for the incoming storm...but all he did was lean over and kiss me sweetly on the lips. "Okay," he whispered.

It was Dr. Owens's turn to be confused. "You're in acceptance of this plan, Sehun?"

"Yeah Doc." His eyes were still on mine while he explained. "Besides getting married this is the only thing you've really put your foot down on. You were understanding when I quit the firehouse and slacked off the past couple months. If it's important to you it's important to me. If you decide you want to take any time off in whatever way I'll respect that, but I won't push it anymore."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter