Chapter 9

The Fate of The Four
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The general and royal guards’ commander began questioning every soldier upon their way, asking them whether they had seen or recognized members of the G Company near them. Fifteen minutes of searching had passed when the royal guards’ commander finally came across PFC Kim Umji and Corporal Jung Eunha cleaning up their armors and weaponries inside the weapon's tent.

“Do you know anyone around here that is a part of the G Company, soldier?” Lieutenant General Park Jihyo asked at the two soldiers cleaning their weaponries, not knowing who they truly were and from which company they came from.

The two young soldiers straightened their body when they recognized the soldier who asked them and saluted at the said soldier before the corporal answered, “We are from the G Company, ma’am. What do you need from us?”

“What are your names soldiers?” Lieutenant General Park Jihyo questioned again, in which the corporal simply replied, “My name is Corporal Jung Eunha and she is PFC Kim Umji. We’re both from G Company under Sergeant Kim Sowon’s command.”

Lieutenant General Park Jihyo, who initially wanted to further question the two soldiers to verify their identities, instantly became convinced after hearing their introduction and stated, “Can the both of you come with me for a second? But please don’t tell anyone, including Sergeant Kim, that I requested you both to do this. You understand, soldiers?”

The two young soldiers nodded reluctantly with a hint of suspicious thoughts roaming around their minds. Lieutenant General Park Jihyo, then, requested the two soldiers to follow her back towards the crown princess’ tent. Along the way, the lieutenant general, alongside the two young soldiers, came across General Son, who was later notified by the lieutenant general that the two soldiers were from the G Company. The four, then, walked back towards the crown princess’ tent and entered immediately.

The lieutenant general introduced the two young soldiers, who were extremely nervous due to the individuals sitting right in front of them, before beginning to question them, “Are you aware that Private Kang Seulgi is in your company right now?”

The two young soldiers nodded timidly at the question, prompting the lieutenant general to continue, “You both don’t need to be scared of me or anyone else in this tent, soldiers. Take deep breaths first and relax, alright?”

Corporal Jung and PFC Kim tried to ease the tension in their bodies by doing several stretching and breathing exercises. After managing to convince themselves that they were calmed down, the two soldiers gave a signal to the generals and royalties inside the room to proceed with their line of questioning.

“We found Private Kang’s clothes tattered with blood splatters and blood drop stains this morning. Furthermore, the private was still not awaken when Lieutenant General Park got there, which was highly unusual considering the usual time the private woke up. Can any one of you explain to us what happened last night?” Crown Princess Bae asked in a patient and soft tone.

However, the two young soldiers were still extremely terrified with the royalties’ presence, causing them to not give an answer immediately.

Longing gazes from everyone inside the tent finally prompted the youngest soldier in that tent to speak up, “If I may ask Your Highnesses and generals, why did not you directly ask Sergeant Kim upon this matter? We do not feel that it is the right thing to tell you all the events that occurred last night without the permission of Sergeant Kim and Private Kang.”

The three generals and royal siblings looked at each other, giving signals to each other on how they should approach the situation at hand.

Lieutenant General Park Jihyo let out a deep sigh before uttering in a desperate tone, “Look, corporal, PFC, we tried approaching Sergeant Kim this morning to ask for an explanation to this, but she refused to divulge anything to us because Private Kang made her promise not to tell us anything. Now, all of us here inside this tent is just extremely worried about the private’s wellbeing, so if you can just tell us here a simple and not detailed explanation of what happened, we will be extremely grateful and relieved.”

This time, the two young soldiers exchanged glances with each other as they were extremely hesitant and reluctant to tell the events taking place last night to any of the individuals sitting inside that tent.

However, after seeing the worried looks from all of the individuals present in that tent, especially those of Crown Princess Bae, Corporal Jung and PFC Kim finally came to an agreement to just tell a tidbit of what happened last night.

PFC Kim Umji nudged the corporal lightly, in which the latter took it as a cue to begin explaining, “It happened last night after Sergeant Kim had exited the tent to do some guarding rounds. The sergeant’s second-in-command, Sergeant Hwang, and two other soldiers from our company began attacking Private Kang and cussing at her. The three only stopped hurting her when Sergeant Kim came about half an hour later and kicked them out. The private immediately passed out when the Sergeant Hwang and the other two ceased from their punches.”

The royal siblings and three generals looked at each other with an expression of horror and awfulness. They didn’t expect that the private would be instantly treated in a terrorizing manner by her fellow soldiers.

“Do any of you know the reason why Sergeant Hwang and the other two did that to Private Kang?” Royal Princess Bae asked whilst holding back tears that were ready to rapidly flow out of her teary eyes.

“They said they wanted to punish Private Kang for overworking them and not caring about them when the private was still the supreme general,” PFC Kim answered, immediately tugging the heart of the older of the royal siblings, who hand-in-hand with her mother and the former supreme general, made the decision on when the battalion should move out to the battlefields.

“Alright, you’re both dismissed then, soldiers. Please keep this conversation confidential from anyone, including Private Kang and Sergeant Kim. Thank you so much for your help,” Crown Princess Bae uttered politely, which was followed by the two young soldiers’ action to bow before the royalties and exit the tent swiftly.

The crown princess waited until the two young soldiers were out of sight before breaking her walls down and began pouring tears endlessly, like there’s no tomorrow.

“Gosh, what have I just done? Why am I such a bad friend to Seulgi? I hate myself now!” the crown princess kept on chanting with sobs stopping her words every once in a while.

The royal princess approached her older sister and the two siblings embraced each other in painful tears as they, unconsciously, had put the former supreme general in harm’s way. It took the two a painstaking 15 minutes for them to finally calm down and start to think more rationally.

The royal princess cleared once before looking at the other three generals, who were also crying after hearing the story, and asking, “What is our next move now? This thing can’t prolong anymore. Seulgi unnie has had enough suffering and I can’t let this to go on. I want those three soldiers punished now, or when we return.”

“Should we just order Seulgi unnie to just be Seungwan unnie’s or Jihyo’s assistant? That way, she won’t be hurt by anyone. Oh, and also, that way, she can just stay in our tent or near our tent and we can make sure that nothing happens to her,” Lieutenant General Park Sooyoung proposed an idea, which was quickly responded with nods from the other four sitting inside the tent.

“What if Seulgi decided to not accept our orders?” General Son asked hesitantly, in which the lieutenant general simply answ

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter