9

Deer Godess

 

 

Much like everyone expected, Bambam’s funeral service was just another big business event, Dahyun and Nayeon weren’t short on choices of fiancès for Mina, they chose none of them, and Jackson even left with a handful of young ladies being thrown at him by eager old men, whose greed knew no limits. They were all very tired after it finished, and Nayeon opted to just head home with their son first, getting started with dinner, while Dahyun went to get Mina, everyone knew she would take a while playing around with Chaeyoung anyways.

 

As always, the Hirais’ home was welcoming as soon as the pale woman laid her eyes on it, the little house, at that humble neighborhood, offered a homey feeling that settled on the Im family any time they would visit it, today Nayeon had understood that, and this was likely the reason why Mina had been so enthusiastic to stay this morning. Getting to the door, Dahyun could hear loud conversation inside, and a male voice was present, could it be?!

 

Surprisingly, the owner of the male voice was the one answering the door, and Dahyun was almost frozen in place when her eyes landed on the man before her. Jaebum was there, ushering her inside, he was, indeed, a very handsome man, she could see a lot of similarities he shared with her wife, but they didn’t look much alike for untrained eyes. She went on automatic until she was about to enter the living room and the man bumped her by mistake, bringing her out of her stupor.

 

“Oh, Hyun! Come and sit down, Momo and Jihyo are finishing dinner, and Mina really wants to eat with Sana.” Chaeyoung calls from the couch, seeing her friend had arrived.

 

“Sure.” She moves a little into the room, before turning to Jaebum. “I forgot to introduce myself, I’m Kim Dahyun.”

 

“Park Jaebum, it’s a pleasure to, finally, meet you. The dwarf talks about you a lot, her ‘hotshot friend who is a big business woman and got boring’, if I remember right.” He mocks while catching the pillow thrown at him.

 

“I got boring? How dare you!” 

 

“It’s not like that, you see-” Chaeyoung tries to defend herself.

 

“It’s exactly like that, don’t try to get out of it.” Jihyo stops her. “Park Jihyo, nice meeting you.”

 

“Kim Dahyun, nice meeting you too.” Using her maiden name was a safety measure, as she knows Im is not very common in the big business side of this town.

 

“I came to say dinner is ready, are you eating with us?” Jihyo asks.

 

“I would love to, but my wife is already making dinner at home, so I can’t really not eat there.” Dahyun offers an apologetic look. “Well, not if I want to keep sleeping on my bed for the rest of the month, that is.”

 

They all chuckle at that, Jihyo, then, excuses herself to go and help Momo feed the girls, while the other three remain in the living room, making small talk. Dahyun finds that Jaebum is charming, even more than she was led to believe by what Nayeon had told her. She also learns that Jihyo is also a great woman, and the man she was to marry loved his wife with all his heart, honey fell every time he talked about her, and she learned Chaeyoung (along with Momo) also loved the couple and their daughter very much.

 

Not much longer after, Mina comes running, holding hands with another girl, she figured it should be Sana. Dahyun greets the girl, squeals a little at how adorable and well mannered she is, receiving the hug and sloppy kiss on her cheek happily, before telling Mina they should go home because mommy and JackJack were waiting for her. They negotiate a little and Mina is convinced to leave after assuring another visit where she could spend the night. Dahyun makes sure to hug everyone and that Mina says her goodbyes before leaving, noticing the slight bump on Jihyo’s belly, smiling to herself at her new niece or nephew that were coming.

 

On the way home, Dahyun listens with a warm smile while Mina tells her about the very fun day she had, and how Sana was so great and fun and she was going to marry her when they grow up. She thinks it wouldn’t be a bad idea, Sana was her cousin, sure, but she really didn’t see any problems, but that was something for later, right now, she just wanted to get home, put her daughter to bed, have dinner with her family and talk to Nayeon about the surprise encounter she just had, but loved anyways. Sure Mina had eaten her dinner, but desert was something else, so they just eat while she has some fruit salad and tells everyone about her day.

 

After dinner, Jackson offers to be the one to put his little sister to sleep, and the girl launches herself on him as soon as he says it. They laugh, and Dahyun deals with the dishes, telling her wife to just go and take her shower and get ready to sleep, she will handle things at the kitchen and join her in bed soon, and they would talk then. And so they do, soon enough, Dahyun is entering their room, showered and wearing those yellow checkered pants Nayeon has been trying to get her to stop wearing ever since they were bought.

 

“No jammer?” Nayeon asks, seeing her wife just getting cosy and not worrying much.

 

“No need, I had the house cleaned out while we were out today. And I had better jammers installed, they will be constantly on and impossible to find, nothing to worry about anymore.” Dahyun answers and pulls the other towards her so she can begins cuddling.

 

“So, how was it at Chaeyoung’s?”

 

“You have to promise you won’t freak out.”

 

“Okay…. I know there was another kid, Sana? And that Mina had a lot of fun, from what I could understand earlier.”

 

“So, Sana is her cousin.” Dahyun tightens the grip on Nayeon’s waist a little more, waiting for the information to sink in.

 

“What?”

 

“Jihyo and Jaebum were there when I arrived. Seems like he went by with Sana while Jihyo was at work and they just stayed for the rest of the day, since Mina was there and Sana took an immediate liking to her.”

 

“You saw him?” Nayeon gasps, trying to hold the tears back.

 

“We talked a little, while Jihyo and Momo fed the girls. I must say, the more I talked to him, the more I thought it could have worked, had our marriage gone through. Not that I don’t love you and Mina, you know I do with all my heart, but he is such a good man.”

 

“I know what you mean, trust me, nothing to apologise for.” The older woman is sobbing now, and small hiccups are starting. “He is great, always has been. I’m glad he is alright, though.”

 

“I would say more than alright, they are having another kid.”

 

Nayeon laughs, a wet and lighthearted laugh that conveys happiness and sorrow all at the same time. Dahyun understands, and just lets her break down a little before they continue talking. The relationship between the Im siblings was something extremely fragile, something that was barely there at all, and, despite being her wife’s fault, it was something Dahyun had set to repair, maybe not immediately, maybe she wouldn’t even manage to accomplish, but she would damn well try her hardest.

 

“So, how are they?” Nayeon manages to ask, after managing to calm herself down.

 

“They look great, happy. Jihyo looked tired, but she is a nurse and was coming home from work, so I’m guessing it’s normal. Jaebum looked great, you too are very alike, you know?”

 

“He raised me, and we were made at the same place, there should be something alike.” The taller one chuckles.

 

“Yeah, but they are things that someone who doesn’t know both of you would miss.” The younger laughs a little. “They are both great people, you know, and the way he talks about Jihyo, you can feel the love he has for that woman. Little Sana is adorable as well, she is very polite and very affectionate, I got a hug and a kiss when I said I was Mina’s mommy.”

 

“She sounds adorable.” There is a tinge of longing on Nayeon’s voice.

 

“She looks so much like them both, she has Jihyo’s big, honest and loving eyes, and Jaebum’s eye smile. And Mina likes her a lot, I had to promise her a sleep over at auntie Changie and aunt Momo’s house with Sana for her to agree to come with me.”

 

“That sounds like a tough deal. Did they seem to link you to me?”

 

“I don’t think so, Momo and Chae gave me some questioning looks when I introduced myself as Kim, but said nothing, Jaebum and Jihyo didn’t seem to have caught on to anything, though.”

 

“As much as I felt a little sting on my heart hearing that, it was probably for the best that you used Kim.”

 

“I will receive a call from a very inquisitive Chaeyoung tomorrow, but it went alright. I’m sorry you got sad, though.”

 

Nayeon just shakes her head and snuggles closer to her wife. They could only settle for what they got and hope the day Nayeon could reach out to her brother and show him how much she regrets everything she did, and beg for a chance to make it up to him and his wife, for a chance to have them back in her life again, this time, the right way.