27

Deer Godess

 

“Go and answer the damned door.” Dahyun hisses to her wife when the bell rings for the second time.

 

Nayeon gulps, knowing she shouldn’t leave Jihyo waiting, after a few conversations with Chaeyoung and, especially, Momo, she learned to fear the small woman properly. Not that it was a bad thing, not at all, herself and Dahyun just got a whole new level of respect and will to obey the woman. Particularly after an episode Chaeyoung narrated on how Jihyo got her to stop trying to be hipster during college, but that’s a story for another time.

 

When the older woman reaches the front door, the bell is rung for the third time and she just accepts fate and opens it, only to be met with her brother looking a little irritated, but it seems she has nothing to do with it. Sana, Tzuyu and Gucci were running around her front yard, being loud and he just wanted them to greet their hosts properly before letting them out of their leashes. But, they were just too hyper about the sleepover, and Jaebum was just about giving up on life as a whole when his sister opened the door.

 

“Nayeon.” He greets, honestly trying not to sound too rude.

 

“O-o-ooppa.” Nayeon stutters, wincing when her brother’s expression hardens. “Come on in, Mina has been restless.”

 

Jaebum simply nods and proceeds to call his kids before entering the house himself. That was certainly NOT something Nayeon had ever expected to happen, have her brother in her house, sitting on her couch and drinking the coffee she made for him was an event she could only experience in her wildest dreams. Dahyun was surprised out of her seat when her brother in law entered the living room, expecting Jihyo to be the one there and simply receive a greeting from the door before the woman leaves, she was just trying to read through an emergency form she got handed earlier that day.

 

“Dahyun.” He states, proceeding to sit on the couch beside the woman.

 

“Jae-jae-ja.” The pale woman gulps, trying to buy some time to compose herself. “Jaebum, it’s great to see you. I thought Jihyo was the one coming?” 

 

He understands Dahyun is trying her best to get through her surprise while doing all she can to not be rude, it’s amusing, but he manages himself very well. Merely pointing at the TV, where the news of a pile-up are being shown, many victims, no deaths confirmed, Jaebum proceeds to explain.

 

 “Jihyo got called in. Momo picked her up, they are both on duty.” He, then, turns to address both women properly. “Also, is it alright if Sana sleeps over? I have a shift tonight and Jihyo isn’t available anymore.”

 

“It’s more than alright!” Nayeon answers too quick and too loud. 

 

“That’s great, then. Chae has a gig tonight and Yugyeom is with me.” He chuckles at his sister, it’s been a while since he last saw her childish side. “Sana-Sana!”

 

“Yes, dada?” The girl pokes her head into the room, bringing herself to her father with Mina in tow.

 

Jaebum picks both girls up, and Nayeon has a hard time not breaking down in hysterics from everything. Nobody, not even her brother would have judged her for it, though. It was the first time in years she wasn’t shunned by her brother, he was sitting in her living room, talking normally to her and her wife, asking if his daughter could stay at her house, picking his niece up on his lap and smiling at her the same way he smiles at his own child. Needless to say, Dahyun was in for a long night.

 

“Sacchan, do you mind having a sleepover with Minnie today?”

 

“Can I?” Both girls light right up and the man laughs. “Can I really sleep here with Minnie tonight?”

 

“Of course you can, baby. I’ll come back tomorrow night to pick you up, it that okay?” Both kids nod their heads with the brightest smiles. “If you need mommy or daddy for anything, just ask aunties and they will call us, okay?”

 

“Okay papa!” Sana screams in excitement and jumps her father’s neck in a sloppy hug.

 

“Thanks uncle!” Mina says, and proceeds to hug his neck as well.

 

“No problem, now go play with Tzutzu, I bet she is lonely waiting for you two.” He puts the girls back down and they scurry away.

 

“Well, I have to get going. There is some house cleaning to be done before I leave for work. If anything happens, call me and I’ll be right over.” He says while heading out. “Oh, and feel free to dismember Tzuyu if she pisses you off. That one can be a handful most times.”

 

Nayeon and Dahyun follow behind and just manage to blurt out some quick goodbye before Jaebum chuckles and leaves, closing the door behind him. Both women are more than stunned from everything that just happened, they just stand there, too stunned to really function. Jackson had been watching everything from his place in a corner of the living room from the beginning, Jaebum did greet him and bid him goodbye, but none other than the two men seem to have registered that.