8

Deer Godess

 

 

“Auntie Chaengie!” 

 

“Minnie! You grew up so much!” 

 

Mina seems to have forgotten about not wanting to be there as soon as the front door opens and a small, slightly drowning in her clothes woman opens it, smiling wide at the sight of her oldest friend and her family. Chaeyoung loved wearing Momo’s clothes when she was lazing around at home, and that day had been scheduled just for that ever since Dahyun had called and asked them to take care of their little girl. They had an old friendship, and, despite not having talked for a while, their bond with each other never wavered, and if Dahyun needed help, Chaeyoung would never deny her that.

 

“I’m surprised she remembers you.” Dahyun remarks as she gets closer. “It’s been, what? Seven months?”

 

“Around that, and she remembers me because I’m an awesome auntie and she loves me.” Chaeyoung huffs and tickles Mina. “Right Minnie?”

 

“Auntie Chaengie, let’s play!” 

 

“In a minute, I have to talk to your mommies first, okay? Why don’t you go inside and say hi to auntie Momo?”

 

The girl nods and runs off into the house once she is put down. The friends laugh, and Nayeon shakes her head, smiling fondly. Mina was incredible, despite having met Momo only once or twice before, she sure liked her auntie a lot. The eldest woman approaches, after her wife and friend are done with their weird greeting, waiting a little to see if she will be introduced or should introduce herself.

 

“Hey, Nayeon, right? I’m Hirai Chaeyoung, it’s great to finally meet you.”

 

“Im Nayeon. It’s good to be able to put a face to the name.”

 

“Alright, now let’s get in so I can eat those cookies I know Momo baked.” Dahyun stops their imminent conversation.

 

Momo is a great baker, and, indeed, there were about four platters filled to the brim with cookies waiting for them, with warm coffee that flooded the house with the delicious smell. Dahyun, very much like her daughter must have done, by the looks of the entrance, just threw her shoes wherever, running towards the kitchen (well, what she calls running, anyhow), where a comforting voice seemed to be scolding Mina for choking on her cookies.

 

“Don’t think too much.” Chaeyoung offers, seeing the look of disbelief on the older woman’s face.

 

“It’s just-.” The older woman chokes out in surprise.

 

“You’ve never seen Hyun like that.” The small one laughs, putting the discarded shoes in place. “It’s alright, I’ve never seen business woman Im Dahyun as well. There are always new sides of her for us to discover.”

 

Nayeon almost slips into a contemplative daze when Mina comes back running, calling her and auntie Chaengie over to eat cookies. They just chuckle when the girl bites her tongue in her animated rambling about the treats, but refuses to stop eating the four cookies she is holding at the same time. The photographer just laughs aloud and urges the little girl back to the kitchen, leaving Nayeon to gather herself a little before joining them.

 

“Oh, great, you came!” Dahyun greets when she sees her wife appear by the door.

 

“She couldn’t just stand at the entrance the entire time, could she?” Momo chastices.

 

“Hello, Im Nayeon. It’s nice to finally meet you.” The eldest smiles warmly and offers a handshake that gets immediately ignored when she is crushed in one of the warmest hugs she ever got.

 

“Just remember to let the woman breathe, Mo.” Chaeyoung calls, not really worried, but she thought she had to say something.

 

“It’s alright, and she is a big girl, she can take a big hug.” Momo tries to scold. “Although, there could be some more meat on those bones, you sit down and eat, I’m making you some hot chocolate.”

 

“Just do as she says, nobody can win against Momo.” Dahyun tells her wife, patting the chair right beside her.

 

“How?” Is all the eldest asks, still sitting down.

 

“She gives you the puppy eyes. You don’t want the puppy eyes.” The pale one offers with a nonchalant shrug and goes back to eating.

 

“You are still not eating?” Said woman is back. “You don’t like cookies?” And there Nayeon regretted every single wrongdoing in her life. She understood, then, why she shouldn’t want the puppy eyes.

 

Momo didn’t relent, though, the puppy eyes intensified and Im Nayeon could tear her own heart out and hand it to that woman right then and there if she was asked to. The nurse was beautiful, anyone could see that, her features were soft and implied a bit of childishness,  but her eyes conveyed a wise and confident person, although she wasn’t the tallest, Momo had a toned and clearly well trained body the years in the profession got her to the best of her optimal shape and she moved with a care, gentleness and precision only years of practice could imprint on someone.

 

They end up spending longer than they should eating and being surveyed by Momo, who wasn’t about to allow anyone to get up from her dining table before all the platters were cleared out, not that anyone was complaining, she was a heavenly baker. Nayeon did need the time out, and that breakfast was something her soul craved for and she never knew. The eldest could understand her wife’s fondness for the couple, and how she was best friends with Chaeyoung, while Momo was nurturing and stern, the youngest was playful and accommodating, indeed a perfect match.

 

By the time the Im couple headed out, little Mina was already begging to sleep over so she could play with her aunties, and Nayeon was surprised that Dahyun was right about leaving their girl with the Hirais, despite the very loud and persistent tantrum the kid had thrown earlier that morning. At least, they could head out to be done with those stupid formalities that their positions demanded and just leave when Nayeon’s tantrum happened, because it certainly would, given old lady Im was there and most of their company’s directors would be attending the first day as well.