21

Deer Godess

“Look, Dahyun, right?! We don’t really know you, and we don’t really know who you are.” Jaebum begins, motioning to Jackson at the last part. “But Nayeon here isn’t that welcome in this house.”

 

“Jae, don’t be like that. No matter who she is, she is your sister in the end.” Jihyo reminds him.

 

While the Ims were sitting in the car, Jihyo had seen them and told Jaebum she was going to invite them inside to talk. Her husband tried to avoid it at all costs, but she had asked Tzuyu to not let Sana listen to what she was about to say, and proceeded to tell him it had been years already, and question what was the worst that could happen by letting the woman in. Jihyo knew how it broke Jaebum’s heart when he cut ties with his little sister all those years back, and, as much as Nayeon had hurt both of them, she was the one family member he could reconnect with. And Jihyo went out to fetch them, telling the man she wanted to talk to them.

 

Turns out, Sana had already grown fond of her cousin, and neither parent really had the heart to keep their little girl away from the friend who helped her not get to the dark place the rest of the Parks were after Jinyoung. Sure, it was Nayeon’s kid, but they had met Dahyun before and honestly had nothing against the woman despite the fact that she was married to Im Nayeon. So, here they were, willing to give the one person who hurt them the most a chance to come through and, finally, make the first move to stand up to her mistakes.

 

“I’m sorry, love.” Jaebum relents, pulling his wife to cuddle. “Have a seat, let’s talk.”

 

“Oh. Right.” Nayeon, the only one who was still standing, sits between her wife and their son.

 

“I believe I should introduce myself. I’m Jackson, their son.” The young man introduces, and the Park couple offers a handshake.

 

“Nice to meet you. I feel you are a good man, but I have to ask, aren’t you a little old to be theirs?” Jaebum asks, no malice at all in his words, just pure curiosity.

 

“Oh, I can answer that.” Dahyun perks up. “You know that money gives you a lot of free passes throughout life.” They nod and she continues. “So, I found Jackson on the streets when I was eighteen, he was a scrawny six-year-old trying to pickpocket me, I found his courage endearing, and then I broke his arm.”

 

Jackson giggles, Nayeon just manages a chuckle, and Dahyun is smiling widely at the memory. The Ims were very familiar with the tale of Dahyun adopting a little boy who tried to rob her, but it did surprise everyone else who would listen to it for the first time, especially when the pale woman was the one telling it. Jihyo and Jaebum had chuckled a little and were staring at them in disbelief, and so, the young man continued.

 

“Ma, you tell it horribly every time.” 

 

“I tell it perfectly, excuse you.” She feigned annoyance. 

 

“No, you don’t.” He says and turns back to his aunt and uncle. “I was starving on the streets, and so week my body was starting to fall under itself. So, when ma grabbed my arm to stop me from robbing her, it simply broke. No real force was needed, really. So, ma freaked out and brought me to the hospital, I was put under as soon as I got there, and woke up a few days later with her telling me ‘You are my son now.’ with that blinding smile of hers.” 

 

“There is some information missing there.” Jihyo eggs them on to tell them more.

 

“That’s because this brat can’t let me tell it.” The smaller one protests. “So, I brought him to the E.R. and told the doctor to take care of the sick child that was just trying to rob me. When asked, I just said I found him on the streets, so they tried to find anyone that could come and claim him. When I found out he wasn’t even korean I just called my lawyer and told him I’m adopting a kid I found.”

 

“Her lawyer is used to her whims, he has been dealing with her since childhood.” Nayeon explains, looking at her wife, her eyes dripping honey. 

 

“Right. So, the paperwork was sent in the next day, and two weeks later I had a son. It was hard on the first few months, JackJack spent most of them in the hospital, but it gave me the chance to hammer into his head that he was about to start studying to be a good man when he grows up.” Dahyun finishes with a smile and a wet kiss to her son.

 

“Honestly, I was so tired of her speeches that I did anything and everything so she wouldn’t start another one.” Jackson mock-complains, giving his mother back a kiss even more wet. “But, as it turns out, ma was right and all those classes were very needed.”

 

“You two are something.” Jaebum chuckles. “But it’s good to know, I see a fine young man indeed.”

 

“Thanks uncle.” 

 

“Now, that we broke the ice, what about you, Nayeon?” Jihyo asks, simply sounding tired and the woman snaps her head towards her. “You want to talk, that’s why you came here a while back, and that’s why you are here today, no?!”