Chapter Nine

Dreaming In Nightmares
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Fire scorched the air and earth as it spewed out past Yongsun’s jaws. The men dove out of her line of fire, as did the King who smirked as he swung his sword. Yongsun stopped breathing out fire in favour of scrutinising the area for her target, clawing the ground as she prowled forwards with low growls. Upon seeing him she snarled, baring her fangs in warning and challenge. King Gualtiero merely raised an eyebrow, as though amused at the thought of her daring to challenge him. 

 

The hunters abandoned fighting with the soldiers and instead took to rushing for their chains and ropes. Several soldiers scurried to help as well, having been quickly united with one common enemy. Jimin hobbled around, ordering his soldiers to bring down Yongsun alongside the hunters as quickly as possible. Yongsun snapped her jaws at incoming hunters and soldiers, the more experienced hunters evading the attack smoothly. A few unfortunate soldiers were not able to dodge out of the way fast enough and suffered fangs ripping into flesh and tearing off limbs. Jimin heard his men’s screams and charged angrily toward her, grabbing a spear from a fallen hunter to hurl at Yongsun. The weapon zipped harmlessly past Yongsun, doing nothing but gaining the raging dragonkin’s attention. 

 

Yongsun huffed and swiveled her head towards Jimin, eyes narrowed as she parted her jaws to release hellish fire upon him. Jimin was pushed out of the way by a hunter, the latter scowling at him as he got up. 

 

“If you can’t fight a dragonkin properly then stay out.” 

 

“I can fight them!” Jimin retorted back as he got up, dusting himself off before joining his men. Yongsun whipped her tail around, knocking down men as her claws slashed the air to fling them around. She attempted to slash her claws at the King, constantly missing him every few swipes which only increased her irritation and anger. She roared in pain and frustration when he bolted around her to land a deep slash on her arm, blood dripping around the gaping wound. 

 

The King smirked, seeing how she was gradually growing irritated with every miss. His eyes shifted to his men creeping up behind Yongsun, subtly giving them a signal to throw the chains and ropes. They nodded and flung them over her head and wings, effectively tightening the nooses around her limbs. Yongsun narrowed her eyes, thrashing about to dislodge the ropes and chains. She turned her head, snapping her jaws at the chains and breaking them. She parted her jaws again to breath out fire at the hunters, forcing them to dodge and roll out of the way if they wanted to avoid being charred pieces of meat. She shook her head and huffed when she felt tiny pin pricks pelting against her scales, swiveling her head to glare at Jimin’s soldiers. They stood at the far end, firing arrows upon arrows at Yongsun. They made a poor job of actually hurting Yongsun but it served well as a distraction for King Gualtiero and his men. 

 

Yongsun snarled at them but did nothing, knowing that they were of no actual threat to her like annoying flies to a horse. She directed her attention back to the King, only to discover that he had disappeared. Growling, she swerved her head about, trying to catch sight of the infamous dragonkin hunter. A shout had her perking up before a weight on her neck caused her to crash down to the ground. The King had snuck up on her from behind, carrying a long stretch of chain to jump and cling onto the spikes on her neck. He attempted to loop the chain around her muzzle, flailing around when she shook her head to displace the king. He fell off, rolling on the ground in front of Yongsun, who seemed to smirk at him with her bared fangs. She raised a clawed hand up, the talons glinting in the fire flickering around the courtyard. 

 

She slashed down and was inches away from impaling King Gualtiero if not for several ropes looped around her arm, stopping her kill. The hunters pulled on the rope, causing her to slam her claws down away from the King in order to stabilize herself and not fall. Yongsun snarled as the King rolled away from under her, getting up to a safe distance. Hunters and soldiers ran around Yongsun, tossing and entangling her in more and more ropes and chains. She snapped her jaws around, aiming at the agile figures as the ropes tightened around her body. 

 

“Watch the jaws!! The jaws!” The hunters warned as several darted around her snapping fangs. Some hunters were soon able to get Yongsun’s jaw shut, multiple ropes tied unyieldingly around her muzzle. They pulled hard at their chains and ropes, Yongsun staggering to maintain her stance and balance before collapsing in a pile with her limbs tied together. The hunters kept a secure grip, making sure Yongsun wouldn’t be able to move, let alone escape her binds. She tried to thrash her way free but ultimately gave up in the end, exhausted and injured. A growl rumbled in as King Gualtiero strode towards her, kneeling down to observe her. She jerked in her bonds as one last chance to escape before settling back down again, glowering helplessly at the King who laughed at her. 

 

“Oh how the mighty have fallen. You, a supposedly great dragonkin, feared by all, tied down by humans. Not only did you fail to be a fearsome beast, you also failed to protect your lover.” The King gestured to Byulyi, the wounded princess lying unconscious a few feet away. Yongsun feared the worse for her when she saw that her chest barely seemed to be moving at all. A faint red glimmer caught her eye, and she looked on in sadness when she realised that it was Byulyi’s broken sword. The hilt had been kicked around during the scuffle and had ended up landing near where the King and Yongsun currently were. 

 

Byul…

 

I’m so sorry… I failed you, failed us…




 

Yongsun closed her eyes, emitting a defeated whine as she awaited her fate. King Gualtiero smirked at her surrender, straightening up to rest his sword on her head. Memories of their time together seemed to play in her mind as Yongsun waited for the final blow. Memories of Byulyi and Yongsun talking together, of them cuddling with each other, laughing, kissing, smiling….. 



 

An image of Byulyi’s bright smile, a pure smile so full of innocence and love, flashed by and lingered in her mind, followed by a distance memory. 




 

“If I die, promise that you’ll live on for me?” Yongsun had whispered as she played with Byulyi’s fingers in the dark comforts of her room. Byulyi caressed her cheeks gently at that, a soft smile gracing her face. 

 

“When someone dies, they’re never really gone. They may be absent physically but they are there spiritually. They’ll be able to watch over their loved ones, smiling and laughing along with them. So yes, I promise that I’ll live on for you because I know you’ll be here with me, as long as you do the same too.” 

 

“I’ll do it for you.”






 

For you. 






 

Yongsun’s eyes flared open again, searching for Byulyi. 






 

For Byulyi.





 

Her eyes flickered back to King Gualtiero, sword raised high above his head, before falling to gaze at the broken sword laying close by. Her eyes hardened with strong resolve as the ruby shimmered under the light of the fires. 

 

“Tonight! Another monster shall fall!” 



 

The sword plunged, and the sickening sound of a blade sinking deep into flesh could be heard. 








 

A/N gasp :0 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



















































































 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N JUST KIDDING~ I’m not that mean as to leave another cliffhanger, though i wanted to ;) 





















































 

 

 

 

 

 

















 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

King Gualtiero gasped and spluttered as his sword clattered to the ground, face to face with emerald eyes filled with pain and anger. Yongsun twisted the hilt of the broken sword, digging it deeper into his chest. Blood bubbled up past his mouth, dribbling down his chin. 

 

“I may be a monster, I may be a cold-blooded murderer, but I’m still human. Maybe even more human than you. I know kindness, compassion, loyalty……. I know love.” 

 

Yongsun whispered harshly, her voice choking up as she thought about Byulyi’s current condition. The King gave a lifeless laugh, slowly slumping down as the fire in his eyes grew dimmer. He gripped her wounded arm tight

Please log in to read the full chapter