Chapter Five

Dreaming In Nightmares
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Kiss me.” 

 

Yongsun gazed down at Byulyi blankly, unsure of whether she heard her correctly. Byulyi, sensing that Yongsun was hesitating, tugged on her shirt impatiently, a sign that said yes, she said what she had said and wanted Yongsun to go on with it. Preferably now. Yongsun wet her suddenly dry lips, swallowing hard before granting Byulyi’s wish with a wildly thumping heart.

 

Their lips met together, starting out innocent and cautiously as each carefully tasted the other. Byulyi shot her hands up to cling onto Yongsun’s shoulders when thunder rumbled outside loudly, whimpering into the kiss. Yongsun broke the kiss and pulled back, gently caressing Byulyi’s face. 

 

“Just focus on me Byul, you’re safe, you’re alright. I’m here, nothing will hurt you.” Yongsun promised as she gazed into frightened yet thankful eyes. Yongsun lowered her head and connected their lips again, moving gently as she savoured Byulyi’s sweet strawberry taste. She wondered hazily if it was natural, or just something she ate. Byulyi’s eyes fluttered shut as they moved their lips against each other gently. Her lips parted slowly when she felt Yongsun’s tongue gently slide against , silently asking for entrance. A soft moan slipped out of both girl’s mouth when their tongues intertwined and danced with each other. Hushed sighs and small moans were heard as they continued to kiss, getting more daring and adventurous as seconds passed. 

 

Jihyo was right about a kiss washing your worries away. Byulyi felt the fear slowly leaving her tense body, allowing her to gradually relax against Yongsun. Byulyi wrapped her arms around the elder’s neck, pulling her closer to her body, craving more of her comforting warmth. Yongsun covered Byulyi’s ears with her hands, her hair as another way to distract the girl from the roaring thunder outside, loud enough to make even the gods above quiver in fear.

 

They parted when the need to breathe was great and both were panting as they stared at one another. Yongsun lightly traced her finger across Byulyi’s swollen lips, admiring them. Byulyi managed a small embarrassed smile up at Yongsun, the latter giggling softly before resuming her work. 

 

Byulyi gasped softly when Yongsun nipped at her lips teasingly, the dragonkin grinning before shifting down to pepper kisses along her jaw against the tender skin there. Yongsun nuzzled the girl’s neck tenderly, placing soft kisses. 

 

“You smell so heavenly Byul.” Yongsun murmured against her skin, a red tint dusting its way across Byulyi’s cheeks at the compliment. 

 

“You’re also very beautiful, haven't I said it before? My beautiful goddess.” Yongsun sighed contentedly as she went back up to face Byulyi’s steadily reddening face. She kissed her deeply again, their foreheads touching gently. Yongsun moved away to gaze at Byulyi, brushing away the tear streaks marking her face, Byulyi leaning into the touch.  She pecked her on the nose, still caressing her hair. 

 

“Feeling better?” Yongsun questioned as she rolled onto her side, a hand resting on Byulyi’s waist. Byulyi nodded quietly and sniffled, moving closer to Yongsun in an attempt to snuggle up to her, not caring about the dampness of Yongsun’s clothes. Yongsun smiled and wrapped her arms around her, helping to pull her in towards her body. Byulyi immediately tucked her head into the crook of Yongsun’s neck again, curling up into her body. Yongsun began to sing softly and continued running her fingers through Byulyi’s silky locks of hair slowly, gradually lulling the girl to sleep.

 

Thunder rumbled in the distance again but Byulyi made no reaction to the sound, not even a single flinch or whimper. She breathed against Yongsun’s neck, focused on the elder’s smell of nature and rain. The nightmares wouldn’t visit her anymore. The fear wouldn’t have her frozen in terror and clawing at herself again. She wouldn’t be afraid anymore. She was safe. Yongsun was here. 

 

 

Yongsun would always be here. 


 

Sunlight shone into the room, resting its warm rays directly on Byulyi’s sleeping face. Byulyi, disturbed from her sleep, whined and scrunched her face, turning away from the offending source of light to cool darkness. She brushed past bare skin as she turned, causing her to pull back after falling asleep again for a while, her mind taking its time to register the touch. She blinked her eyes rapidly, clearing away the sleep to be greeted by Yongsun’s peaceful sleeping face. 

 

The dragonkin had slightly agape, hair strewn messily over her face. Her arm was still draped over Byulyi and it seemed like she hasn't moved it since last night. Byulyi gingerly brushed some hair back over Yongsun’s ear, allowing her to see and admire her face clearly. The girl looked so at peace while fast asleep, a great contrast from the energetic and lively personality that shone whenever Yongsun snuck into Byulyi’s room to keep her company. As Byulyi stared at Yongsun, her mind drifted back to the memories of the previous night and her heart sped up as her face started at get red again. The kiss that they both shared felt surreal to her and she really wanted to experience it again, just to make sure that everything that happened last night was not just some wishful dream. 

 

“How long are you gonna stare at me without saying good morning princess?” A husky voice rasped and snapped Byulyi out of her thoughts. Yongsun was awake, yawning tiredly as she stretched her body. 

 

“Ah s-sorry I was just thinking of something. Good morning Yong.” Byulyi stuttered, greeting the dragonkin. Her eyes darted down to Yongsun’s lips, unsure if she could kiss her now or if she was even allowed to kiss her. Yongsun noticed where her eyes were looking at and her lips lifted up in an amused smirk. She leaned forward and pecked Byulyi’s lips lightly, laughing when she pulled back to see Byulyi’s wide eyes opened in shock.  

 

“If you wanted a kiss you could have just said so.” Yongsun stated casually, wiggling her eyebrows playfully which had Byulyi swatting at her shoulder with her hand in embarrassment. They stayed like that as a comfortable silence fell over them, laying in each other’s arms as the sun rose higher and the birds chirped their morning greeting. Byulyi had closed her eyes, dozing in and out of sleep again as Yongsun her hair, a little habit that she has quickly come to love.

 

“Was last night… okay for you? Did I overstep any boundaries? I’m sorry if I did anything that made you uncomfortable.” Yongsun’s quiet voice broke the silence and had Byulyi opening her eyes again to look into uncertain and nervous emerald ones. She brought her arm up and caressed Yongsun’s cheek, a small smile on her face. 

 

“It was fine Yongsun, you did nothing wrong. I was the one who asked for…... for you to kiss me anyway.” Byulyi trailed off towards the end, coughing shyly as Yongsun too blushed red before continuing. 

 

“Thank you for coming to comfort me, even though it was storming outside. It means a lot to me, and I appreciate it, appreciate you.”

 

“Even if I’m just some threatening, violent dragonkin?” 

 

“You’re not just some threatening, violent dragonkin. You’re my threatening, violent dragonkin. Mine and mine only.” A small smile graced Yongsun’s face upon Byulyi’s words and she peppered light kisses all over her face, much to Byulyi’s surprise and delight. Byulyi squealed as the ticklish kisses made their way down onto her neck, giggling lightly and pushing at Yongsun. 

 

“Yong!! It tickles!!” Yongsun stopped after a while, grinning at Byulyi happily. She nuzzled her again, savoring her scent. 

 

“You don't know how long I’ve actually wanted to kiss you.” Yongsun murmured with a smile. Byulyi her hair, mirroring a shy smile. Just then did she happen to glance down and spot a familiar set of clothes peeking out from under the blanket. Intrigued, she lifted up the covers and saw that the clothes Yongsun was wearing was indeed hers. Yongsun smiled sheepishly and coughed, bringing a hand up to twirl a strand of her hair. 

 

“Yeah, um, I got drenched by the rain last night and it was quite uncomfortable, so once you fell asleep I went to look for clothes. These were the only ones I could find that fit me without me damaging it with my wings.” Yongsun explained as Byulyi took her time to take in the rather wonderful sight. It was a dressing gown that her mother had gotten her long before, one with a very low cut behind that exposed the back more than Byulyi was comfortable with. She’d never worn it and had left the poor thing gathering dust all alone in her closet. It seemed rather scandalous to wear for Byulyi, but seeing how it seemingly hugged and outlined all of Yongsun’s curves, Byulyi thought that it was simply a marvellous creation and whoever had made it should earn great riches and a long healthy life. 

 

“-yi? Byulyi? Hello, anyone home in that brain?” Byulyi faintly heard Yongsun calling out to her and she tore her eyes away from staring at Yongsun’s chest to meet her eyes. 

 

“Y-yes?” 

 

“I asked if it was okay for me to be wearing your clothes, miss airhead.”

 

“I- hey! I am not an airhead! I just happened to zone out that’s all!” 

 

Zone out while staring at my chest huh. Yongsun thought to herself as she tried to stop a smirk from appearing on her lips. 

 

“Anyway it’s fine if you wear that. You can have it even, I’ve actually never worn it. It’s too ...exposing for me.” Byulyi answered as Yongsun nodded in understanding with a sly glint in her eyes. Yongsun was just about to open to tease Byulyi when a knock at the door had both girls freezing before Yongsun ducked under the covers just as the door opened. 

 

“Princess?” Jihyo’s light voice floated into the room as she popped her head round the door to peek inside. Byulyi let go of the breath she was holding and sighed in relief. Yongsun gingerly lifted up and peered past the covers before slumping in relief upon confirming that it really was Jihyo. 

 

“Yongsun? What are you doing here? Isn’t it dangerous?” Jihyo hissed in surprise when she noticed the dragonkin. She immediately slipped into the room and closed the door, locking it. Byulyi was quick in jumping out of bed to meet Jihyo whereas Yongsun decided to take a rather slow and reluctant approach to leaving the delightfully soft and tender bed. Jihyo ushered Byulyi into the bathroom to freshen up before tending to Yongsun who was busy flaring her wings as she stretched her arms over her head. Jihyo noticed the gown that Yongsun was wearing and raised an eyebrow but said nothing. 

 

Jihyo turned away to give some privacy as Yongsun began to strip away the gown, laying it gently on the chair as she reached for her own now dry clothes. Byulyi bustled out of the bathroom, teeth brushed and hair neatly done, just in time to see Yongsun’s . A glimpse of a flat and toned stomach was seen as Yongsun turned around while draping her shirt over her head. Sinful thoughts crept into Byulyi’s head at the image of Yongsun’s stomach and she shook her head to clear them, fighting back a rising blush. Jihyo smiled in amusement as she saw Byulyi’s internal struggle. 

 

Jihyo passed Yongsun her cloak before attempting to shoo the dragonkin out. Byulyi dashed to her, wishing her a good day and making sure to remind her to stay safe and away from trouble. Yongsun smiled, ruffling her hair playfully before turning to leave. She hesitated before swiveling back to land a quick kiss on Byulyi’s lips. 

 

“See you later princess.” Yongsun bid as she leapt out into the air and flew away. Byulyi stood there, a shy smile forming on her face. She turned around, smile dropping when she met Jihyo’s stern expression. She gulped, lowering her eyes to stare at the floor, taking sudden interest at the pattern on her carpet. 


 

“You were lucky it was just me who entered. What happens if it was someone else? What if it was the Queen? Or what if it was King Gualtiero? You should know better than this.” Jihyo lectured as they walked along the hallways. Byulyi bit her tongue, holding back a retort that they both knew what they were doing. She knew Jihyo was right. Even Byulyi had these fears running through her mind constantly when Yongsun first came into her room. Sooner or later someone would find out about them and they probably won't be as accepting towards it as Jihyo was.

 

“I’m sorry, it won't happen again. It’s just that, there was a thunderstorm and you know how I am with them. Yongsun promised me that whenever there was a storm she’d come and comfort me, and she kept her promise.” Byulyi mumbled softly, not looking at Jihyo. Jihyo’s eyes soften as she heard Byulyi's reason and she sighed as she lifted a hand to pat Byulyi's head. 

 

“Then I suppose I should be thankful towards Yongsun then. Speaking of which, you two seem to be very close now hmm?” Byulyi’s head jerked up at the last statement and she seemed to have trouble trying to come up with an explanation, mouth opening and closing like a fish. Jihyo laughed at her, a tender expression in her eyes. 

 

“Don’t you worry, I think that both of you make for a very cute couple.” Jihyo whispered teasingly as they approached the Great Hall, giving Byulyi a wink before departing and leaving her alone. Byulyi stared after her, a deep blush adorning her cheeks. She shook herself, calming herself down before entering the hall with a greeting towards her mother and King Gualtiero. 


 

 

The afternoon sun blazed down onto the quiet forest, animals thankful for the cooling shadows of the trees and the sweet water of ponds and rivers to quench their thirst. A small fox prowled around a small pond, sniffing the air before darting forwards to take a much needed drink

Please log in to read the full chapter