Chapter Six

Dreaming In Nightmares
Please log in to read the full chapter

Ever since the little outburst from Byulyi that night, Yongsun has been considerably more careful in the way she moved around and when she was hunting. After giving it a few thoughts, she decided to hunt further away from the palace, a place where the hunters hopefully wouldn't visit to set traps. She chased after smaller and easier prey, mainly consuming fish, birds or rodents. Byulyi would provide food for her when she visited too, stating that it would better help in the process of healing her wound. 

Yongsun was touched by how much Byulyi seemed to fuss and care over her, going above and beyond to make sure Yongsun was comfortable and safe. She managed to persuade Yongsun to shower at the palace, exclaiming that washing in the river would most likely cause an infection in the wound. She had harped on about it until Yongsun finally agreed, shyly entering the bathroom to wash up. Byulyi would stay with Yongsun, helping to soap and rinse her up after which she would tend to the healing arrow wound, putting a fresh piece of gauze around it. Jihyo, upon discovering her injury, brought along some simple medication to help slather on the wound. 




 

Yongsun and Byulyi were cuddled in each other’s arms again, this time with Byulyi running her fingers through Yongsun’s drying lavender scented hair. While it was fun to talk and play around with each other, having some quiet time like this with only the sound of their breathing was something that they both savoured. It allowed them to relax in the presence of the other, to take in each other’s warmth and scent, to memorise each other’s face. 

 

“You smell nice.” Byulyi breathed out, eyes closed. 

 

“Thanks to you.” Yongsun murmured back, keeping her face nuzzled against Byulyi's neck. She pressed feather-light kisses on the smooth skin, feeling a smile forming on Byulyi's face. She kissed her way up her jaw, pulling back slightly to stare at the princess. Byulyi had opened her eyes, showcasing a twinkle of adoration and love. Yongsun leaned forward and connected their lips, blissfully exchanging soft and gentle kisses. Yongsun could never get enough of the way Byulyi’s lips tasted. They were so sweet, she was so sweet. She absolutely loved kissing Byulyi, every chance she had she would sneak a peck onto her lips, often catching Byulyi by surprise. 

 

Yongsun rolled onto her back, pulling Byulyi along with her until she rested on top of her. They continued kissing, Yongsun threading her fingers through Byulyi's hair before running down her back to rest on her hips. Byulyi held herself up with her hands planted on both sides next to Yongsun’s head, not wanting to squish the dragonkin below her. Yongsun, noticing what Byulyi was doing, simply smiled and laughed lightly. 

 

“You can rest yourself on me love, don’t worry. You’re as light as a feather anyway.” Byulyi blushed, listening to her words and allowing herself to flop fully on Yongsun. She shifted around until she was comfortable and laid her head on Yongsun’s chest, listening to her soft breathing and steady heartbeat. She closed her eyes again, feeling ever so contented and at peace. 

 

Time passed by and Byulyi was soon trying to stifle her ninth yawn in the past span of 15 minutes. 

 

“Getting sleepy princess?” Yongsun asked when she noticed Byulyi's failed attempt at keeping the yawn at bay. Byulyi nodded sleepily, clinging and whining when Yongsun slowly sat up. Yongsun tried to pry the younger off of her to which Byulyi stubbornly refused. She held on tight, unwilling to let Yongsun go. 

 

“You need to sleep dear.” Yongsun chuckled in amusement at her stubborn lover. Byulyi shook her head furiously and Yongsun rolled her eyes. She shifted herself and managed to get out of bed, Byulyi still hanging onto her front with her arms and legs wrapped around Yongsun’s body. Yongsun turned around to face the bed, once again trying to pry Byulyi away. She managed to get the girl to release her hold by tickling her sides, Byulyi immediately shoving Yongsun away in favour of burying herself under the covers to escape her hands. Yongsun laughed, causing Byulyi to reappear and pout at her. 

 

“Meanie.” 

 

“Aww come on now Byul-ah, don’t be like that.” Yongsun smiled as she leaned down to kiss her forehead. She tucked Byulyi properly under the blanket, ensuring she was comfortable. Sometimes she felt like she was taking care of a child.

 

“Can’t you stay and sleep with me?” Byulyi whined softly as she stared up at Yongsun, puppy eyes on full display. Resist Yongsun, do not fall for that. Yongsun chided herself, averting her eyes away from the tempting sight that would most likely cause her to cave in. 

 

“Jihyo will have my head if she saw me sleeping with you again. Besides, it’s dangerous, I don't want you risking anything. Now sleep love, I’ll visit you soon.” Yongsun whispered as Byulyi snuggled into her blanket and closed her eyes. She then departed from the room, heart light and happy. 



 

A few days later, Byulyi announced to her mother that she would be visiting the village for a while in the afternoon. She didn't have any lessons with her Governess that day, which left her free to do whatever she pleased and thus she decided to make it productive by checking up on the kingdom’s village and their people. 

 

“Be careful when you’re out there. Come back before dark alright? Are you sure you don’t need a guard?” The Queen asked in slight concern as Byulyi shook her head. 

 

“I’ll be fine mother. Besides, I know how to fight remember?” Byulyi tapped the sword strapped to her waist, a reminder that she was perfectly capable of lopping off a person’s hand if need be. 

 

“Take Jihyo with you at least. Gives her a chance to see her wife. Take care now.” The Queen bid her daughter, smiling lightly before turning back to face the piles of letters on her desk. Byulyi slipped out quietly and closed the door, heading down the hallway to locate her handmaiden. 

 

Once both women were ready, they headed out from the palace and delved into the bustling life of the village. The people who noticed Byulyi bowed and greeted her happily, some taking the chance to offer up their wares, jewellery and food among countless other products to the princess. Byulyi decided to opt for a few snacks, the owners thanking her and puffing up their chests, proud at being able to have interacted closely with the princess of the kingdom. Byulyi shared some with Jihyo as they wandered around and explored. It had been a while since Byulyi took the chance to look around the village. It seemed livelier, filled with contented and eager people living peacefully with one another.  Sure, fights did break out sometimes but even those were easily solved by either the villagers themselves or from the intervention of the Queen. 

 

At one point of time, a familiar cloak seemed to flash before Byulyi’s eyes before disappearing back into the sea of people, preventing her from getting a second look. Byulyi tilted her head, frowning. Yongsun…? She wondered, looking around herself for a glimpse of the dragonkin. Jihyo, noticing her searching look, questioned her curiously. 

 

“Oh nothing, just thought I saw Yongsun. Probably just the heat playing tricks on me or something.” Byulyi mumbled as she lowered her craned head, a huff leaving . 

 

“Wouldn't it be dangerous for her to be around?” Jihyo commented as she smiled, finding the sight of a sulking Byulyi adorable. She patted her back in consolation, reminding the younger woman that Yongsun would probably be popping in for a visit again later that night. 

 

“Jihyo? Jihyo!!” A voice chirped excitedly and a figure flew out from nowhere to latch itself onto Jihyo as the latter turned around. Jihyo stumbled back, confusion and surprise turning into joy as she embraced the woman in her arms tightly. The woman pulled back, landing multiple kisses over Jihyo’s face as Byulyi watched in amusement. Jihyo laughed, cupping her wife’s face in her hands as she leaned forwards for a deep kiss. The pair would have been lost in the kiss had it not been for Byulyi coughing loudly to remind them of where they were standing. 

 

“Oh, right, yes.” Jihyo stuttered embarrassingly when they pulled apart, eyes darting around to see if anyone was staring. A gasp escaped the woman’s mouth when she finally noticed Byulyi, immediately bowing respectfully.

 

“P-princess Byulyi! It is an honor to see you here!!” She said as she straightened back up, jittering around slightly as she fiddled with her fingers, evidently nervous at being in the presence of the princess. 

 

“An honor to meet you too, Sana. Jihyo has talked a lot about you.” Sana gaped in shock as Byulyi smiled kindly at her, hand grasping onto Jihyo’s dress with wide eyes. 

 

“You know my name, she knows my name…!!! What? How???” 

 

“I told her, silly. You think I would never tell the name of my beloved wife after always talking about her?” Jihyo laughed at Sana’s expression, pressing a chaste kiss to her cheek. 

 

“Why not the two of you catch up?” Byulyi suggested,  causing Jihyo to frown as she considered it. 

 

“Are you sure princess? I mean, I’m supposed to be watching over you.” Byulyi rolled her eyes, once again tapping her sword pointedly as Jihyo took notice and sighed, giving in. 

 

“Alright then. I’ll meet you at the village fountain after a while. I’ll try not to take too long.” 

 

“Take as much time as you need, Jihyo. Go have fun with each other, I’m sure it’s been a while.” Jihyo sent a grateful smile to Byulyi, linking arms with Sana as they walked away. Sana chatted animatedly to Jihyo, eyes bright with love and excitement at finally being able to see her wife again. Servants and soldiers were only allowed at least one day to visit their family every two months to which Sana had complained wasn’t enough. Jihyo promised the moping Sana that whenever she came to visit, she would do whatever Sana wanted to do. 

 

Byulyi watched as the two lovebirds were swallowed by the crowd before deciding to wander around again. Villagers darted about, giving way for the servants and soldiers setting up decorations in the area. Byulyi sported a small grin as she gazed up to admire the bright silken ribbons and banners flowing in the gentle breeze. Stall owners selling food and wares were beginning to spice up their stall by placing bright ribbons and flowers to attract attention. Byulyi appreciated the effort they were putting in, happy that they seem excited to be doing so. After a while of walking Byulyi decided to rest at the fountain, having made her way there to just sit and wait for Jihyo. She dipped her hands into the cooling water and absentmindedly swished it back and forth, forming small ripples. A stray cat jumped up onto the fountain, stalking forwards to sit itself next to Byulyi. It pawed her hand with a small mewl, gaining Byulyi’s attention. She cooed softly, patting its head and scratching it behind its ears. The cat purred, slowly laying itself down on its side. And so Byulyi passed the time by entertaining herself with the cat, glancing around frequently to see if she could spot her handmaiden. 

 

Suddenly the cat perked up, ears laid back as it stood up and arched its back. Byulyi, surprised, retracted her hand and watched as the cat hissed before leaping off and zooming away. 

 

“My scent must have been terrifying to that little thing.” Byulyi snapped her head up at the voice to see a hooded figure standing in front of her. The figure tilted its head up slightly, exposing mirthful emerald eyes and a cheeky smile. 

 

“Hello princess.” 

 

Yongsun held out her hand and when Byulyi took it, started to pull her gently along through the crowd. Unsure of where they were going yet trusting Yongsun, Byulyi followed after her quietly, keeping her head down to avoid attracting attention. As the crowds dimmed and the noise receded, Byulyi finally lifted her head to see that they were once again in the forest. They walked a while longer before stopping by a fairy ring. Yongsun pushed back the hood to reveal her face, running her hand through her hair as she plopped herself down on the soft grass. Byulyi followed suit, sitting close to Yongsun and resting her head on her shoulder.

 

“What were you doing in the village?” Yongsun asked Byulyi as she held a piece of freshly baked bread to the latter’s mouth. Byulyi chomped on it, narrowly missing Yongsun’s fingers to which had the dragonkin yanking her hand away with a small glare on her face. Byulyi simply smiled innocently before answering her question. 

 

“I just wanted some time out of the castle. I was sitting by the fountain because I was waiting for Jihyo to finish catching up with her wife after they met each other when we were walking around. What about you?” Byulyi stared at Yongsun curiously as she asked. 

 

“Ahh well, I like to mingle around with humans and see what they do. It’s interesting. I also help them when they need it, either carrying bundles of wood or sorting out their goods.” Byulyi raised her eyebrow at Yongsun’s reply, surprised. Yongsun noticed her reaction and laughed lightly. 

 

“What? Can’t I help people too?” 

 

“Of course you can! I never said anything about not helping jeez. It’s just that, aren't you worried someone might find out?” 

 

“My cloak and hood covers me up quite well. The people don’t question me either, they just take me as I am.” Yongsun grinned, patting her cloak proudly. Byulyi rolled her eyes, deciding not to comment. She instead opted to steal the rest of Yongsun’s bread, much to the dismay of the latter. They fell silent, quietly enjoying each other’s company in the forest. It reminded Byulyi of the time she would frequent Yongsun at their meeting place by the lake where they’d talk for hours until the sun was beginning to dip below the horizon. In a way Byulyi preferred like that, it was definitely less riskier than having Yongsun sneaking into her room with the danger of a guard spotting her. But with King Gualtiero’s hunters swarming the forest and setting traps it would be even more dangerous for the both of them if a hunter so happened to come upon them together. 

 

“What are you thinking about love?” Yongsun hummed as she interlaced their hands together. Byulyi shook her head, indicating that it was nothing worrisome. 

 

“Just thinking about the decorations that the servants were putting up.” 

 

“Oh yea. What are those for? I haven't been here for very long and for the time I’ve actually been here I’ve never come across that before.”

 

“It’s for my mother’s birthday. It’s a masquerade ball since she absolutely loves those. A few allied kingdoms will be coming to celebrate too.” Byulyi explained, shifting herself to face Yongsun, already finding a small pout on her face. 

 

“That means I can’t visit you at night?” 

 

“Unfortunately, yes. It’d be way too dangerous. It’ll only be for one night though, you can come again after it’s over.” Byulyi attempted to reassure her lover, leaning to press a chaste kiss to her lips. Yongsun grinned slightly at that, chasing after Byulyi when she pulled back to land another kiss on her lips. At the back of her mind however, a plan was coming into shape, one that would spark surprise, slight displeasure and possibly danger. Glancing up at the sky, Byulyi remembered that she w

Please log in to read the full chapter