Chapter Sixteen

Dreaming In Nightmares
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Seulgi’s arm trembled as she gazed down at Yongsun, her claws still wrapped around her neck. She gritted her teeth as she tightened her hold, tears rebelliously welling up in her eyes. 

 

“You killed her. You deserve to die. But why….” 

 

Seulgi snarled in anger before she hung her head, her tense body going slack with weariness and defeat. She removed her claws from Yongsun’s neck, a heavy sigh leaving her lips. 

 

“Why can’t I kill you…?” 



 

“Because you’re not that type of person.” 

 

Seulgi snapped her head up, horror showing in her eyes as the Queen stood by the door, a gentle yet sad smile on her face. She immediately morphed her scales and claws back, standing up to face her while sputtering out an excuse. 

 

“Y-Your Majesty! It’s not what you think I-” 

 

“Calm yourself Seulgi. I am not angry or accusing you of anything. In fact, I understand why you feel compelled to do this. I’m sure most people in your situation would feel the same too, to do anything to avenge their lover.” The Queen spoke, walking towards Seulgi with soft steps. She reached a hand out and caressed her cheeks gently all while Seulgi averted her eyes away from the Queen in shame and guilt. 

 

“This is not the only way to avenge Irene. Do not force yourself to do something you cannot bear to do, there are other ways to settle the anger and pain you feel. I only hope that you will find the peace that you need soon.” 

 

“I’m sorry…” Seulgi mumbled, sighing as she fiddled with her fingers. The Queen patted her head gently before gesturing towards Yongsun. 

 

“Take care of her. Maybe interacting with her may bring peace to you.” 

 

Seulgi glanced at Yongsun and nodded, this time bringing herself to meet the Queen’s gaze with a determined look. 

 

“I shall do so, Your Majesty. Actually, I think I can provide help in making the antidote.” 







 

Yonghee watched as Sunmi scuttled around the room, grabbing vials here and there as she mixed random liquids and herbs together. 

 

“Did you figure out what poison is affecting her?”

 

“Nope. I don't think it’s something we’ve ever encountered before.” Sunmi replied as she tossed in a few bundles of some grassy substance. Yonghee grimaced at the answer. If it was something that they’ve never come across before how certain can they be that the antidote will work?? Yonghee just knows that they’ll only have one shot at testing out the antidote. If it fails then Yongsun-

 

“Hey, we will get the right antidote on time and we will save your sister. Have a little more faith in me will ya?” Sunmi chided with a playful tone, her warm yet sympathetic eyes gazing at Yonghee as she looked over her shoulder. The dragonkin snapped out of her thoughts, embarrassed for being caught. In addition to being a wonderful healer Sunmi really had a knack for reading other people's expressions and emotions. She could take only one look and guess, often correctly, the thoughts others were having. 

 

Yonghee sighed and gave a sheepish smile. 

 

“Really can’t hide anything from you huh?” 

 

“Yeap! Now instead of worrying yourself to death come help me with my herbs!” Sunmi grinned, Yonghee approaching the table warily. She was never good with medicine. Sunmi guided her, directing her to which herbs and vials to take and add into the mixture. 



 

As they were mixing and scrutinising the liquids and their reactions, the door opened and in came Seulgi. Yonghee widened her eyes upon seeing her, mouth open and ready to question the dragonkin. Seulgi was ready and quickly answered her before she could say anything else. 

 

“The Queen is watching over your sister and the reason why I'm down here is because I can help with the antidote.” 

 

Sunmi raised an eyebrow, curiosity piqued. 

 

“How exactly?” Yonghee questioned. 

 

“My own venom. There’s a high chance that the poison the King created was made with drops of other dragonkin’s venom. There are of course different types. Maybe my own venom can counteract and neutralise the venom in the poison as the cure.” Seulgi explained, the other two listening intently. Sunmi seemed to be deep in thought as she processed her words, Yonghee and Seulgi both staring at her for her opinion. 

 

“That could possibly work yes…” 

 

“Will there be a risk??” Yonghee asked, worry and distrust present slightly in her voice. Yongsun was already suffering enough with the poison, Yonghee didn't want to take any chances by giving her a cure that could potentially worsen her state. 

 

“There will always be a risk when dealing with something we don't know about. The only way to find out is to try. And the most important thing to have, is faith.” Sunmi answered with a knowing look, a comforting hand placed over on Yonghee’s hand in reassurance. Yonghee sighed, biting her lip before nodding. 

 

“Alright, what must we do?” Sunmi smiled, beckoning Seulgi over to the table. She grabbed a glass jar, handing it over to the dragonkin. 

 

“Let your venom drip out from your fangs into the jar. Once we get a decent amount I’ll add it to the other mixtures.” Seulgi nodded and proceeded with her part, placing her fangs over the rim of the jar to slowly let her venom drip out. Out of all dragonkin species, the venom of Seulgi’s species was ranked as the third most lethal. One bite or scratch of her fangs will leave a human with only one hour left to live as the venom attacks their body.  

 

Yonghee watched curiously for a while before turning back to Sunmi, handing her another empty vial that she requested for. This better work… 







 

Byulyi groaned softly, turning over on her bed as she rested her face on the soft cooling pillow. Staying motionless, she stared at the walls quietly before pushing herself up. 

 

She had only wanted to take a quick warm shower before going back to stay with Yongsun, but the bed had been inviting and tempting to lay on. At first she had only planned to sit on it while she dried her hair, but soon she found herself laying down on it and the next thing she knew she was all cuddled up in the blankets against the pillows fast asleep. 

 

“I wonder how long I slept.” Byulyi yawned, looking out the window blearily. It seemed like the sun was setting already, making the girl widen her eyes in shock. She scrambled out of bed and dashed towards the door, flinging it open just to be greeted by Wheein and Hyejin. 

 

“Oh! You’re awake!!” Wheein exclaimed with a smile, instantly latching onto Byulyi with a tight hug. Byulyi reciprocated, having missed the little puppy like girl. Hyejin too engulfed Byulyi in a hug when Wheein had let go, pulling back with a worried look. 

 

“Did you rest alright?? You’re not hurt anywhere are you? Are you hungry?? Do you want something to eat? Do you need anything?” Byulyi laughed lightly at the barrage of questions, shaking her head as answers to all of them. 

 

“I’m f

Please log in to read the full chapter