Chapter Ten

Dreaming In Nightmares
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

By now word had quickly spread throughout the whole palace that a dragonkin was residing together with the princess. Yongsun never made to leave the room, only peeping out every once in a while to see when Jihyo would return if she left to fetch something. Sometimes she would see a soldier or servant passing by, always tense with an expression of fear on their face as they hurriedly walked by. Byulyi was still asleep, barely moving at all with only faint murmurs calling out for Yongsun. Yongsun was always by her side watching over her quietly, either her hair or just holding onto her hand. 

 

Jimin would step in at times together with the Queen, the general casting Yongsun a distrustful glare every time he entered and saw her by Byulyi. Yongsun paid him no mind, knowing that he was only like this because of how he was always taught to protect the princess and the royal family from danger coming in the form of a dragonkin. The Queen would often send Yongsun a smile, making small talk and questioning her on the recovery of her wounds. Yongsun was quick to warm up to the Queen like she did with Jihyo, learning more and more about the kingdom every time she dropped by. The Queen was everything Byulyi had told her, and Yongsun could even see the resemblance the Queen held with the princess.





 

It was a mundane afternoon, three days have passed and Byulyi showed no signs of waking up. Yongsun was staring at her as the door opened, Jihyo stepping in softly with a tray of food in hand. 

 

“The shock of the battle must have really worn her out.” Jihyo remarked softly as she walked towards Yongsun, placing the tray on the bedside table. Yongsun stared at the food hungrily but made no move to consume it, something that made Jihyo frown in disapproval. 

 

“Yongsun, you need to eat if you want to recover faster. What would Byulyi say if she saw you not eating properly?” Jihyo chided gently, staring pointedly at the meek dragonkin. Yongsun could only nod slowly at that, knowing what Jihyo was trying to do, and began to eat the dishes of food on the tray, inhaling them at quick speeds as if just discovering how hungry she actually was. 




 

It was on the fifth day that Byulyi stirred awake. Byulyi had felt fingers threading through her hair and thought that it was her mother. It was only until she heard a sweet familiar voice singing softly that she had an inkling of who it was sitting next to her. She pried her eyes open weakly, trying to adjust to the lighting in her room. She turned her head to the side slightly, tears rising up in her eyes when she saw Yongsun at the side singing the lullaby she always sang to Byulyi to lull her to sleep. 

 

“Yongsun….” She called out quietly, the dragonkin glancing back at Byulyi, assuming at first that it was just the younger calling out her name in her sleep again. When she saw Byulyi's open eyes however, she seemed to freeze in place, staring unblinkingly at Byulyi. Byulyi, unable to handle it anymore, pushed her body up towards Yongsun and engulfed her in a tight embrace, not caring about her shoulder crying out in pain at the sudden movement. Yongsun wrapped her arms around Byulyi tightly, her back tenderly as Byulyi whimpered into her neck, tears of her own pricking the edge of her eyes and rolling down her cheeks. 

 

“You’re awake…” Byulyi hugged Yongsun tighter at that, desperately holding onto the elder as if afraid this was all a dream and that when she woke up again, Yongsun would be gone. Yongsun caressed her tenderly, rocking them back and forth. She was the first to break away from the hug, wiping away the tears falling from Byulyi’s eyes with a soft coo. She patted her head, smoothing down her hair before running her hands down to cup her cheeks. Both leaned towards the other, connecting their lips for a gentle and loving kiss. They kissed each other deeply, wanting to convey all their emotions to the other the best that they could. Tears rolled down Byulyi’s face again when they broke apart, panting slightly from the deep kiss. 

 

“I was so scared...I wanted to protect you, but I ended up getting injured. I….I thought he was going to kill you…” Byulyi mumbled shakily, gripping onto Yongsun. Yongsun could only smile sadly as she rested her forehead on Byulyi’s own gently. 

 

“He almost killed you. I was frightened for you when I heard your scream and when I saw him holding you up with a dagger to your throat, I lost all control and went on a rampage. I...I killed people, innocent ones like your father’s soldiers.” 

 

“You did what you had to do to protect her, it is not your fault.” 

 

Byulyi and Yongsun jumped apart at the new voice, startled. The Queen had entered, flanked by Jihyo and Jimin. A smile was forming on Byulyi’s face when she saw her mother, only to remember that Yongsun was seated right next to her, a fully visible dragonkin. Panic could be seen in her features as she fumbled around for a decent explanation when the Queen laughed, amused by her daughter’s reaction.

 

“It-It’s not what you think mother I can explain!!” Byulyi stuttered out and was only confused when her mother started to laugh at her, eyebrows furrowed as her gaze jumped from Yongsun to the Queen to Jihyo. Yongsun smiled back at Byulyi, intertwining their hands together tightly as the Queen walked to the bedside. The Queen placed a gentle hand on Byulyi’s cheek, it lovingly. 

 

“I already know my dear, Jihyo and Yongsun told me everything.” 

 

“You...You’re not angry?? Shocked? Disgusted?” 

 

“Why should I be? I have no reason to, even if Yongsun here is a dragonkin she has done so many things for you already. I’d be a horrible Queen to just dismiss all she’s done for you.” 

 

Byulyi relaxed her tense body sightly, slumping against Yongsun as she breathed out shakily in relief. Yongsun giggled, hugging Byulyi again and pressing a kiss to her temple which had Byulyi pulling away in embarrassment, a blush dusting her cheeks lightly with red. They all conversed for a while together, the Queen informing Byulyi of the absence of King Gualtiero’s men as well as the disposal of the former king’s body. It was at that moment that Byulyi remembered a very crucial detail. 

 

“My sword, where is it?” Byulyi asked, feeling her heart drop upon seeing the smile on her mother and Yongsun’s face being replaced with a somber look. The Queen gently took her hands into her own, gesturing at Jihyo to bring something over. 

 

“I’m afraid that there is no way to fix this. It’s broken beyond repair, not even our blacksmiths can repair such damage like this. I’m so sorry Byulyi.” Her mother apologised lowly while Yongsun watched Byulyi’s reaction. Byulyi felt her heart clench tightly when she saw what was lying on the pillow Jihyo had brought over. Her sword, broken into two halves, rested on the soft pillow, the jagged edges shimmering in the light. The rubies embedded into the hilt seemed to wink mockingly at her, reminding her of her loss and defeat. Byulyi hesitantly reached a hand forward to pick one piece up, turning it over in her hands before gazing up at the Queen and Yongsun with eyes that reflected her heart-break. 

 

Jihyo took back the sword and placed the pillow back to its original spot on the study table a little way from the bed, departing quietly with the Queen and leaving Byulyi to Yongsun, who was already comforting the crying princess. Once out they strode down the hallways, each contemplating silently in their minds. 

 

“When should we tell her?” 

 

“Not now. She’s already suffering so much knowing that the sword her father forged for her is forever destroyed. It would completely shatter her when she realises that the shoulder wound has incapcitated her ability to wield a sword again.”

 

The Queen murmured regretfully, a long sigh leaving as she thought about her daughter. Jihyo stayed silent, her concern for Byulyi only increasing by the minute, praying that it would not have to end this way for the young princess. 





 

Yongsun cradled Byulyi, singing softly. The younger had fallen asleep again after crying her eyes out to Yongsun, the dragonkin doing all she could to soothe the distressed princess. Yongsun gazed down at Byulyi, taking in her swollen eyes and tear streaks on her cheeks, taking great care to gently wipe them away. She gazed out of the window mindlessly, watching as little birds flitted past on quick wings. Her gaze fell onto the pillow where the sword lay, getting up from bed slowly as to not disturb the sleeping Byulyi and wandering over to it. She ran a finger down the blade, the edges seeming to flash with the blood that stained it when she killed the King. The crescent moon caught her eyes, Yongsun faintly remembering what Byulyi had said about it being the family’s insignia. She turned the hilt over in her hands, fumbling around with it as an idea started to form in her mind.





 

A few weeks have passed since Byulyi received the news about her sword, and she quickly figured out herself about her own ability to wield a sword again, inducing another breakdown which Yongsun helped her through by just being there to comfort and embrace her. Both were strong enough by that time to wander around by themselves, not needing the supervision of any servant or soldier. The duo bathed together, Yongsun helping Byulyi with her shoulder wound while Byulyi helped the dragonkin with the wound on her arm. They replaced each other’s gauzes with care, ensuring that the other was comfortable and that there were no signs of infections. Yongsun was helping Byulyi a lot more now due to the latter being unable to use her dominant arm because of the injury. Byulyi often questioned Yongsun of her worth, feeling utterly useless as she felt that she could barely do anything or help anyone. Yongsun had reassured her time and time again that it was not her fault, and that nothing was wrong with her. She was still worthy of everything the world gave to her and even if there was trouble stirring about, Yongsun would always be there to protect and help her through. 

 

Besides her right arm providing difficulty to do simple tasks, another challenge popped up in the form of the palace’s servants and soldiers. Friends she had made with the soldiers during training have refused to acknowledge her warmly, giving mere curt nods everytime they passed by her. Servants have only stuttered out stiff greetings and bows whenever she appeared and greeted them, scurrying away rapidly after that. It was worse when Yongsun was out walking with her, many just fleeing into the opposite direction upon seeing the two of them. Many seemed to question the Queen’s as well as Jihyo’s continued relationship with the pair, some going so far as to question the Queen’s and Byulyi’s loyalty to the kingdom. Yongsun had seen the look in Byulyi’s eyes every time the servants bustled away in fear when they appeared, wish

Please log in to read the full chapter