Chapter Eight

Dreaming In Nightmares
Please log in to read the full chapter

Byulyi skidded to a stop once she reached the courtyard, looking around frantically for Yongsun. She spotted the dragonkin tangled up in the net, apparently unconscious from the fall that she took when the nets caused her wings to be entangled with the ropes. She was about to run towards her when she was held back by a hand on her wrist. She turned back and almost let out a cry when she saw Jimin.

 

“Princess! What are you doing! It’s dangerous!”

 

“Jimin please! Let me go, I need to be here, please!” Byulyi begged, trying to wrench her wrist free from his grip as more and more hunters and soldiers appeared. They took up defensive positions with their swords, spears and arrows facing Yongsun’s still form. A few hunters ventured forwards, tentatively prodding Yongsun with their swords to see if she was awake. Byulyi glowered as King Gualtiero appeared, a satisfied grin on his face as he spared a quick glance at Byulyi. Jimin pulled Byulyi back against his chest, holding her against him to prevent her from darting off. Byulyi’s pleas fell on deaf ears as Jimin kept a secure hold on her. 

 

“I promised your parents that I would keep you safe Princess.” 

 

Was the only thing he said when Byulyi questioned why he was doing this. She stopped begging after that, watching helplessly as the hunters dragged Yongsun across the rough ground towards King Gualtiero. He bent and knelt on one knee, examining Yongsun. When he rose back up, there was an ominous gleam in his eyes as he turned to face his hunters. 

 

“Wake her up. I want to see her dragon form.” 

 

Two hunters went forwards, each carrying a spear. Byulyi started when she realised that the tactic they were going to use to wake Yongsun up was by stabbing her. Jimin tightened his hold on her when he felt her fidgeting, giving her a quick look before focusing his attention back on the King and the dragonkin. 

 

“Why does he even want to see her dragon form? He can kill her right then and there, why wait??” 

 

“He wants the teeth. The fangs of a dragonkin marks every kill he has made, it’s his pride and trophy. Plus don’t you want a little action with a dragonkin in its dragon form?” 

 

Byulyi scowled as she overheard the conversation of two nearby soldiers. The King wasn’t going to get his trophy out of this dragonkin if Byulyi had anything to say about it. She apologized to Jimin in her mind before stomping hard on his foot, causing him to loosen his hold from the pain which allowed her aim a sharp jab towards his chest, pushing him backwards as she darted forwards freely. She glanced back to see his men catching and steadying him, Jimin placing a hand on his chest as he looked for her. 

 

“Princess!” 

 

Just before the first spear could make contact with Yongsun, Byulyi had swiftly disarmed both hunters with her sword, forcing them to back away slightly as she stood protectively in front of Yongsun. King Gualtiero leered at Byulyi, slowly stalking up to her while shaking his head. He brandished his hands, gesturing to the surrounding soldiers. 

 

“Do you see this?? Your princess is protecting a dragonkin!” 

 

Byulyi merely narrowed her eyes at him, sword held out in front of her. She could hear murmurs going around, most full of confusion and surprise. She kept her gaze on the King, refusing to look anywhere else where she could see the disappointed or fearful expressions of the soldiers and of Jimin himself. He had dedicated his whole life to keeping the royal family safe from danger, especially from dragonkins, and yet now here Byulyi was, risking her own life and status for one. Byulyi, feeling her sword trembling, forced herself to hold it still and calm down. Showing fear or hesitation in any battle was a mistake that could easily cost you your life. The King drew his own sword, brandishing it as he advanced casually towards Byulyi. 

 

“Do you want to know another secret? This very dragonkin right here, is the princess’s lover!! The two of them have been getting together secretly all this time, right under our noses!” The King chortled while Byulyi felt a threatening blush rising up across her face. She really, really wanted to just punch him right in the face right now. The whispers started again until one voice cut right through the many others. 

 

“You lie! Our princess does not do that! She...She is loyal, to the kingdom!” Jimin had shouted, though albeit hesitantly, coming to stand forth. King Gualtiero, after seeing who had spoken up, snorted and stuck his sword into the ground to rest on it. 

 

“Tell them princess. Tell them who that dragonkin really is to you.” 

 

Byulyi stared at him before letting her gaze wander over all the familiar faces of the soldiers she had made friends and trained with. Her heart clenched painfully when she made eye contact with Jimin, who still had hope that everything the King had said was fake, that Byulyi was loyal like he said she was, that Byulyi wouldn't betray him and the kingdom. Byulyi tore her gaze away, taking in a shaky breath as she opened to answer. 

 

“....Yes. She’s...she’s my lover, and I do love her.” 

 

“..Byul…..” 

 

Byulyi stopped, turning around to glance down at Yongsun. Yongsun had stirred awake as they were conversing, groaning softly as her head pounded painfully. Her vision was blurred, only able to tell that the person standing in front of her was Byulyi by her scent. She rasped out her name weakly, wanting to tell her to move away somewhere safe while she dealt with this herself, not wanting Byulyi to get caught in the middle and get injured. 

 

The moment Byulyi lowered her sword to face Yongsun however, King Gualtiero immediately launched himself forwards at her, sword slicing down in an arc on her. Byulyi, alerted and aware, managed to block the incoming attack by turning around to parry it. 

 

“Fight me princess. We’ll see who gets to have their way with the beast.” 

 

“She has a name!” Byulyi snapped, lunging forward to strike. The King blocked it effortlessly, moving backwards to coax Byulyi into moving towards him more. Yongsun faintly heard their banter, struggling to fully gain her consciousness and strength back to help Byulyi but failing to do so. Everything felt slow and painful, Yongsun unable to even move an inch. She faded in and out of the darkness, cursing herself for not being able to properly defend Byulyi. 





 

Upon seeing the King attacking Byulyi, Jimin attempted to dash towards her to help. He was stopped when two hunters held him back, unfazed by his indignant glare. 

 

“Anyone who stands in the way of King Gualtiero and his prey, will become his prey as well.” 

 

“Nonsense! He cannot kill her! It would mean war between our kingdoms! I will not let him h

Please log in to read the full chapter