Chapter Seven

Dreaming In Nightmares
Please log in to read the full chapter

Orders were yelled out by scrambling hunters as they wrangled down a dragonkin with chains and ropes, dodging sharp fangs and claw swipes. The dragonkin snarled, snapping its jaws at a hunter’s arm who fortunately was quick enough to pull away out of reach. 

 

“Take cover!!” 

 

Hunters yelled as they dove for cover, fire spewing out from the dragonkin’s muzzle in a wide arc. It let out a pained cry when a spear embedded itself deep into its side. King Gualtiero stalked towards the dragonkin, eyes set and hard while dragging his sword along the ground. With the momentary distraction the hunters took the chance to quickly finish up restraining the dragonkin, wrapping ropes around its legs and pulling hard to make it fall. The dragonkin’s roar was cut when chains coiled and clamped its jaws shut, effectively preventing it from breathing out more fire. The hunters did their best to hold the thrashing dragonkin down, keeping a steady grip on their ends of the ropes and chains. The dragonkin huffed and let out a small growl as King Gaultiero came to a stop in front of it. 

 

“My, you certainly have pretty teeth. You’ll definitely be a wonderful addition to my collection.” The King smirked, raising his sword high above his head before plunging it down. 




 

Back at the palace, servants scattered left and right as King Gaultiero strode through the hallways with specks of blood staining his armor. He didn't bother going to his room yet to wash up, opting instead to journey down below the palace grounds. He flung open the door of his destination, letting it swing shut behind him as he walked to observe the many chemicals bubbling around. 

 

“What’s the progress?” He gruffed, examining a bright blue liquid sloshing around in a glass. His apothecary bustled around a table, snagging liquids and glasses left and right before placing them neatly on the table. 

 

“It is almost done Your Majesty, just a few more days at most.” The apothecary responded, lowering himself down to eye level with a glass, dripping in several drops of orange liquid. King Gualtiero hummed, nodding as he made to leave. 

 

“The faster it is finished, the better it is for us.” 





 

It was already a few days after the ball and all the visiting kingdoms had left to set sail for their way back. Byulyi had seen Wheein, Hyejin and Seulgi off, nagging at the engaged couple to remind them to send a wedding invitation to her while promising to keep in touch more with Seulgi. She was now alone again, save for Yongsun and her nightly visits. So far Yongsun’s wound had fully healed, thus no longer requiring the need of a gauze. She still however, chose to bath together with Byulyi in the palace. 


 

Byulyi munched on a cookie while laying upside down on the bed, watching as Yongsun twirled around the room in what seemed to be a funky dance routine. 

 

“You’re so weird.” Byulyi commented when Yongsun struck a rather fascinating pose, an indignant glare on her face that was directed at the princess after hearing her remark. 

 

“Well you gotta live with my weirdness then.” Yongsun huffed as she walked over, bending down to kiss Byulyi and flick her on the forehead. Byulyi whined, throwing her hands up in the air in an attempt to attack Yongsun upside down. Yongsun cooed at the sight, finding Byulyi simply adorable. Byulyi sat up whilst swatting away Yongsun’s hands that kept squishing her cheeks. Yongsun sat next to her, draping herself dramatically over her lap while cuddling into the younger. Byulyi merely rolled her eyes at the action, hand going down to run through Yongsun’s hair. Her eyes strayed to the wings on Yongsun’s back and she curiously raised a hand to lightly touch them. Yongsun shivered on her lap, shifting her wings slightly. 

 

“It tickles when you touch my wings like that.” She stated as she rolled onto her back off Byulyi’s lap with an embarrassed grin. Byulyi quirked an eyebrow at the confession but made no move to touch them again. Yet. A thought popped into her head at the moment and she excitedly grasped onto Yongsun’s hand. 

 

“Can you take me for a flight??” 

 

“I, what??” 

 

“I want to see and feel what it’s like high up in the sky. And what better way to do that by you taking me in your dragon form?” Byulyi exclaimed, eyes shining brightly as Yongsun listened warily. She pushed herself up to properly face Byulyi while still holding her hands. 

 

“Byul, I’d love to take you but, my dragon form is horrible. It’s not worth it. I’m, I’m still ashamed of what I did while in that form.” Yongsun lowered her head, not meeting Byulyi’s concerned eyes as she gently rubbed her thumb over her knuckles. 

 

“Those things that you did back then, those are all in the past. It’s a new time now and you’ve already changed so much. You’ve improved from your past self, and you keep improving everyday. I see it.” Byulyi murmured softly as she reached a hand up to cup and rub her thumb over Yongsun’s cheek, making her look back up into her eyes. 


“Don’t be ashamed of who you are, don’t hide it. Human form, dragon form, it doesn't matter. To me you will always, always be beautiful.” Yongsun turned to look away for a second, sniffling softly for a few seconds before turning to look back at Byulyi’s gentle smile. Byulyi pulled her in for a hug, both staying comfortably like that before Yongsun pulled back to land a kiss on Byulyi’s lips. 

 

“I love you.” 





 

Yongsun, after a few days, came to a final decision and decided to give Byulyi what she wanted. She told her to meet her at her cave in the forest at dusk, giving specific instructions and directions to ensure Byulyi wouldn't be lost. When questioned why they couldn't just fly off from the palace Yongsun smacked her head. 

 

“You think no one will notice a huge dragon suddenly appearing from the princess’s window??” 

 

“Ah, fair point.” 

 

Byulyi was ecstatic, constantly glancing out of the window to check on the day and zoning out. Once dusk hit the kingdom, Byulyi devised a way to sneak out of the palace without raising any suspicions. She popped her head out of her room, scanning the dim hallways for any servants or guards. Her mother didn’t visit her in her room often, and even if she did come while Byulyi was absent in the room her mother would just assume that she was out roaming the gardens or village again. So that was one less thing to worry about. The one that she would need to look out for was definitely Jihyo and Jimin, those two being the most protective over her among everyone else in the palace. While Jihyo already knew about Yongsun, she surely would not allow Byulyi to fly around in the sky no matter how trustworthy Yongsun was. Plus the forest was off-limits to Byulyi due to King Gualtiero and his hunters setting traps to hunt dragonkins.

 

Byulyi crept along the hallways, checking every corner for the handmaiden and general. She gave friendly nods to the patrolling guards when she walked past them, navigating her way hurriedly through the palace and slipping out to enter the familiar cover of the forest. She racked her memory for the directions Yongsun gave her, trudging past trees and bushes. Byulyi shivered and grimaced when she saw a couple of traps laid out in the forests, many looking deadly. She shook her head and focused on finding the cave, not wanting the image of Yongsun getting caught in a trap to linger in her head. 



 

Yongsun peered out of her cave, having been pacing around countlessly while waiting for Byulyi. Maybe this was a bad idea….. Yongsun thought to herself as she chewed on her lip, staring into the trees. She honestly was extremely nervous of morphing into her dragon form. She hadn’t morphed or showed it to anyone for so long, and she was afraid of how Byulyi would react upon seeing the terrifying monster she was. She was cut off from her train of thought when a familiar scent invaded and mingled with the surrounding air, causing Yongsun to perk up just as Byulyi popped out from behind a tree. Leaves and twigs seemed to make their home in her hair, Byulyi grumbling as she swept the offending pieces of nature off her hair. 

 

“What happened to you?” Yongsun laughed as she met Byulyi, helping to remove the remaining leaves like the great lover she was. 

 

“I may or may not have rolled down a small slope.” Byulyi confessed, pouting when Yongsun seemed to keep on laughing. Yongsun appeased the princess by pecking her lips before linking their hands, guiding her to another location a short walk away from the cave. It was a small cliff that overlooked another section the forest far below. Yongsun turned to Byulyi and gently held her hands, looking into her eyes. 

 

“Are you sure you want this? We can stop right now and go back to cuddle if you don’t. Just say the word.” 

 

Byulyi shook her head, smiling reassuringly as she tightened her hold on Yongsun’s hands. 

 

“I’ll be fine, Yong. You’ll be fine. Don’t worry about me, I’m not scared at all. We can go back if you’re uncomfortable, though.” 

 

“No! No, I’m...I’m fine. You requested for this and I’m going to fulfill that request no matter what. All to see my precious princess happy.” Yongsun ended off with a cheesy wink that had Byulyi making a face and pushing her away. Yongsun laughed once more, pulling Byulyi back for a deep kiss before getting ready. She gave her cloak to Byulyi, placing it carefully around her shoulders despite Byulyi’s questioning look. 

 

“It can get really cold up there. For humans anyway, dragonkins don’t feel the cold when they fly.” 

 

Yongsun gestured for Byulyi to stand back, a nervous glint in her eyes as she gave one last smile. Yongsun knelt on the ground, leaning forwards to brace her hands in front of her. Byulyi gasped and watched in awe as Yongsun began to morph, her hands changing into claws as deep blue scales decorated her arms and body. Yongsun groaned internally as she morphed, not used to the painful shapeshifting that occured due to several years of staying human. Byulyi merely stared silently as Yongsun rose to her full height, towering over the younger. Yongsun flared and stretched out her wings, giving it a few flaps. She turned to face Byulyi, lowering her head be at eye level with her. Byulyi slowly reached out a hand, gently patting Yongsun’s muzzle before relaxing and laughing lightly. 

 

“You look amazing.” Byulyi uttered as she observed Yongsun’s full form. Yongsun snorted, obviously embarrassed at the praise before nudging Byulyi impatiently. 

 

“Okay okay. Look who’s excited to fly now huh?” Byulyi teased as Yongsun helped to hoist her onto her back behind her neck. Yongsun grumbled, a low growl rumbling in her chest as she waited for Byulyi to find a secure hold on her back. Once Byulyi patted her neck to tell h

Please log in to read the full chapter