Chapter Fifteen

Dreaming In Nightmares
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Byulyi hugged Yongsun tighter to her body when the dragonkin at the door stepped in, curious golden eyes trained on her. The dragonkin had his claws out at his side, Byulyi’s eyes darting nervously between them and the dragonkin’s slow advancement towards her and Yongsun. 

 

As the dragonkin stepped closer, a low growl was heard. It came not from the dragonkin himself, but from Yongsun. The elder had her eyes open, fangs bared in a warning growl directed at the dragonkin. It was weak but still did the job of catching the attention of the intruder. He stopped in his tracks, gaze landing on Yongsun and hardening as he tensed up in alertness, tail lashing lightly behind him. 

 

“Stay...back….” Yongsun growled out, her scales slowing appearing on her arm as she struggled to sit up. Byulyi held onto her, worried and afraid. Even when she was ill Yongsun’s only thought still was to protect and keep Byulyi safe from any possible threat. Byulyi’s heart clenched at the thought but she refused to have Yongsun fighting for her, especially in her current state. It would be too easy for her to get injured and Byulyi would hate it if Yongsun got hurt just to protect her again. The dragonkin seemed to realise Yongsun’s weak state as well, as he sneered in defiance and continued walking forwards. 

 

“I don't think you can do anything right now with how you are, sweetheart.” 

 

“Yong, Yong no, it’s okay. Don’t fight him please..” Byulyi begged softly, tugging on her arm when the dragonkin managed to sit up shakily. Her pleas fell on deaf ears as Yongsun merely growled louder, tensing her body up as if ready to lunge at him. 

 

“Sandeul? Did you find the dragonkin we scented?” A new voice floated in as a head popped round the door. It was a female dragonkin, eyes a striking forest green slightly  similar to Yongsun’s own. Sandeul grunted, keeping his eyes on Yongsun as he replied to his companion. 

 

“I did alright, and she’s hostile.” The new dragonkin’s gaze slipped from Sandeul to Yongsun and she gasped under her breath. 

 

“Yongsun…?” She mumbled out, shocked and in disbelief. Never would she have ever thought that she would see her again. Yongsun however, didn't seem to share the same recognition. As soon as the new dragonkin attempted to walk towards them, Yongsun’s growls turned into snarls as she flexed her claws. 

 

“S-stay..away..!” She hissed threateningly, flaring her wings in order to hide Byulyi behind her. Byulyi grasped onto her shoulder, feeling her tensed muscles as she tried to calm Yongsun down. A questioning look appeared in the female dragonkin’s eyes when she took notice of Byulyi but it soon changed to one of accusations. Byulyi made contact with her piercing eyes and swallowed hard, already figuring out that the dragonkin was probably blaming her for how Yongsun was acting. Thankfully she refocused her attention back on Yongsun instead of the princess, and tried once more to approach. At Yongsun’s warning snarl Sanduel scoffed at the back where he was watching. 

 

“Just take her down already! Why are you being so hesitant for??” 

 

“I can't hurt her.” 

 

“Why?? She’s clearly a hostile dragonkin who needs to be contained until the King and Queen decide what to do with her.” 

 

When she didn't reply Sandeul huffed, moving up towards them. 

 

“If you’re not going to do it then I will.” 

 

“Don’t touch her!” The dragonkin finally snapped back, turning to face him. He sported a look of irritation on his face as he faced her. 

 

“Why?! It’s not like she means anything to you right?!”


 

“She’s my sister!!” 






 

Time seemed to freeze as the words left , Byulyi’s mouth dropping in shock and bewilderment. At the same moment Yongsun must have deemed them either too aggressive or too close to Byulyi for comfort as she, despite her extremely weakened state, lunged out towards the two dragonkins with a snarl. Sandeul immediately pushed his companion out of the way and tackled Yongsun head-on, dodging her claws and striking several blows onto her body. Unable to handle the strikes, Yongsun staggered back before her legs buckled and she collapsed onto the floor, unconscious once more. 

 

Byulyi bolted off the bed and scrambled next to Yongsun’s side just as the female dragonkin dropped down next to her. They stared at each other silently for a moment, one pair of eyes filled with guilt while the other was filled with distrust. In the end Byulyi let her take Yongsun into her arms, knowing that if they were indeed sisters, then she should be the one to hold onto her especially if they haven’t seen each other in ages. 

 

She gently caressed Yongsun’s face slowly, as if quietly trying to remember what she looked like and reprint the image into her mind. She looked up and eyed the human in front of her who was too was staring forlornly at Yongsun. 

 

“What is your relationship with my sister?” She growled out in question, Byulyi flinching at the tone. 

 

“I-I...I’m her..I’m her lover….” Byulyi nervously mumbled out, cautiously peering up into her eyes to see her reaction. A hint of surprise could be seen in her eyes but that was quickly smothered out. 

 

“If you’re her lover, then why is she like this? Aren’t lovers supposed to take care of each other??” 

 

“I-I don’t know what happened, it was a few days on the boat when she started falling sick and it’s been getting worse ever since.” Byulyi sighed in exasperation and frustration, tears b in her eyes as she clenched her hands into fists in her lap. The dragonkin’s eyes soften slightly at that and she sighed. 

 

If someone got all emotional over a dragonkin, then they probably do have a deep genuine attachment to them. 

 

“I’ll bring her- the both of you, to the palace. There is a physician who will treat her there.” 

 

Sandeul spluttered once he heard her words and he stormed over to them, gesturing wildly between them. 

 

“Are you crazy? Bringing complete strangers to the palace?? What would the King and Queen say?” 

 

“The King, Queen and the Princess say to help anyone who’s in need, dragonkin or human. Even if Yongsun isn't my sister you know we can’t kill them unless they’re a threat to the kingdom itself.” Sandeul growled under his breath at her rebuke, standing to the side as they stood up. 

 

“The name’s Yonghee by the way.” She finally introduced, Byulyi giving a shy small nod as she too introduced herself back. 




 

As soon as they exited the cabin onto the deck, a wild Jeongyeon came barreling out towards them while brandishing what looked to be a long wooden staff. She faltered in her steps when she saw the two dragonkins, eyes darting between Byulyi and them in confusion and wariness. 

 

“They’re taking me to the palace to get Yongsun treated.” Byulyi spoke up, answering Jeongyeon’s unasked question. The captain gave her a wild look and gestured with her staff to Yonghee and Sandeul standing by the side. 

 

“Are you sure they won’t lure you somewhere else??” Sandeul let out an offended growl, one that Yonghee responded to with a sharp glare and quiet hiss. Yongsun was still in her arms and she was taking great care to not move her around too much least she’d get uncomfortable. 

 

“I’m pretty sure they’re trustworthy. Besides, even if it is a trap at least I’ll be on land where I’ll be able to find help. Yongsun’s getting worse and I’ll risk anything to find something to help her at this point.” Yonghee gazed at Byulyi silently in wonder. Never had she ever encountered a human so willing and dedicated to helping someone else, m

Please log in to read the full chapter