003

(BxB) A night and the future
Please log in to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]Six years later[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]“It’s an honour to work with you, Mr. Thun.” Seungcheol gave a smile as they shook hands. The representative from a Thailand company they work with nodded firmly and replied in the same language; English.

“It’s our pleasure too. I hope you will enjoy the rest of your stay here. You can have Miss Anuya to assist you if you needed anything.” Mr. Thun said and gestured to the lady behind him. Seungcheol gave a polite smile as the lady gave her name card.

“Thank you for your offer and help, sir.” Mr. Thun nodded. “I hope this collaboration will give amazing benefits to both side.” Seungcheol added.

“Indeed.”

“Excuse me then, sir.” Mr. Thun nodded and they parted ways at the elevator. Seungcheol walked with his driver who he exclusively employed to be his standby translator guide for this business trip. After years working in the same company, he was promoted as the manager after being a team leader and currently they got collaboration with a Thailand company thus this business trip was for them to seal the deal.

“Going back straight to the hotel or you wish to go somewhere, Mr. Choi?” The driver asked in Hangul once they’re in the basement. Seungcheol was thinking.

“My sister asked me to buy her something. Where should I go for clothing shop, is there nearest mall here? The branded one, yeah.” Seungcheol added the last one after a thought.

“I guess Siam Paragon should be okay.” The driver said and Seungcheol just followed the suggestion. The guy drove the car leaving the company smoothly to the direction of the said destination. Seungcheol was going through his e-mail on his I-pad while they’re on the way. “Sir, we have arrived.” Seungcheol blinked and looked up just to notice they’re already in another basement. He just smiled and thanked the driver. Both of them stepped out from the car and went to the lift.

“You’re free to do another thing, not necessarily follow me while I’m shopping. You could get some food too.” Seungcheol said and about to give money. The guy politely refused.

“It’s okay, sir.” Seungcheol pushed the money to the driver’s hand. The guy couldn’t refuse and silently thanked Seungcheol.

“We will meet again, I will call you later when I’m done.”

“Sure, sir.” The driver said. The two guys separated once they arrived at the main floor. Seungcheol got a copy of the mall directory so he was following that. The driver decided to have some food and waited for his temporary boss somewhere.

Seungcheol walked out from the big name boutique with a bag. “That stupid sister forgot to tell me size and not picking up call. Hope this fit.” Seungcheol mumbled to himself in Hangul. He was fishing out his phone again to call his driver when he heard sniffles from a corner. He turned and saw a boy crouching down rubbing his eyes. It seemed like the little boy was crying and Seungcheol felt bad. He moved closer. “Little boy, are you okay?” Seungcheol didn’t know if the small boy could understand English but he tried anyway. The boy looked up and blinked his red-from-crying eyes at Seungcheol as if assessing the older guy is good person or not. Seungcheol melted at the cuteness the boy possessed but yet he felt slight pain to see the swollen eyes. He crouched down when the boy didn’t show any fear at him.

“Help. Lost. Papi.” The boy said in between his sobs. Seungcheol blinked.

“You can understand uncle, boy?” The small boy nodded. Seungcheol concluded that the boy understood but not good enough to reply him properly in the same language. He smiled and reached to pat the small head. “Smart boy. Don’t cry, uncle will help. Where you come from? You remember where you lost your… papi?” Seungcheol said unsure.

“Father.” The boy pointed to his right, the same path where Seungcheol came from. Seungcheol nodded. He opened his palm in front of the boy, telling the boy to take his hand and stand up.

“Let’s go together and if your father isn’t there anymore, we could go to the guard and made announcement. It’s easier.” The boy looked confuse. Seungcheol just smiled and shook his hand a bit. The boy sniffled.

“Bad guy. No?” The boy asked in small voice. Seungcheol smiled.

“Uncle is not a bad guy. Don’t worry.” Seungcheol thought for a while. “How about this? Uncle let you sit on uncle’s shoulder. So if uncle try to do something bad, you can hit me here.” Seungcheol pointed to his throat. “It’s painful if hit here. Uncle can die if you hit strongly.” Seungcheol made painful face. The boy was pondering before nodding. He looked convince with Seungcheol’s offer plus the boy looked excited to sit on the shoulder. Luckily the boy wasn’t very heavy and Seungcheol used to have his nephew sitting on his shoulder so it wasn’t a problem. The boy rode perfectly and legs circled around Seungcheol’s neck. The small hand also loosely held on the hair. “Okay there, boy?”

“Yes.” The voice was a bit lifting, Seungcheol was sure the boy felt good a little.

“What’s your name?” Seungcheol asked while starting to walk towards the earlier direction.

“Krist krub.” The boy said. Seungcheol felt slight movement that he took it as the boy looked around for his father. “Papi. Papi?” Seungcheol glanced up.

“You see him?” The boy, Krist shook his head with a protest of no. Seungcheol figured Krist was just calling out for his father randomly in hope that the father heard him. Seungcheol walked along the shop lot. Some people gave them a look, giggling at the cuteness. Seungcheol didn’t mind the stare because it was harmless. He felt the distress of the boy when Krist began to cry after walking a while.

“Papi...” Krist sniffled and buried his face into Seungcheol’s hair. Seungcheol blinked and slowly tried to get Krist down.

“Krist. Don’t cry, uncle will help find your father eoh?” It was a bit awkward to talk when Krist refused to move from his earlier position, to even hugging Seungcheol’s head. Seungcheol held the boy at the hip, making sure the boy didn’t fall while he figured his way to the information counter. He felt a tug in his heart as he heard Krist’s sobs got harder.

“Hello.” Seungcheol called the attention of the lady at the counter. The lady looked up, her eyes lit a bit to see such a handsome fine man before masking her smile when she noticed the boy.

“Yes, sir. May I help you?” The lady asked politely in English.

“This is a lost kid. He lost his father.” Seungcheol said. The lady blinked.

“Oh. One second.” The lady made a phone call. She was talking in Thai to the person on line. Seungcheol didn’t understand anything besides hello and thank you. The lady also glanced few times at the boy on Seungcheol’s shoulder. Seungcheol figured maybe the lady was describing the boy to the other person. “Sir, how old is he? Did he say his name?” The lady asked Seungcheol. Seungcheol was about to answer when Krist mumbled from behind his hiding.

“Krist krub, Krist is 5 years old.” Krist mumbled in Thai. Seungcheol didn’t understand except the name but luckily the lady heard.

“Krist, can you tell your father’s name?”

“Papi...” The lady blinked before frowning. She asked again but Krist refused to answer. Seungcheol just smiled mildly while the lady proceeded to talk to the phone. Later, she ended the call and turned to Seungcheol.

“They’re going to make an announcement soon, sir. You could wait here.” The lady gestured at the seat beside the counter. Seungcheol nodded and walked to sit.

“Krist.” Seungcheol called softly. Krist was still hiding his face. “Come down eoh? Sit beside uncle.” Krist reluctantly let go his arms and let Seungcheol get him down, sitting beside him. He looked down sniffling. Seungcheol melted at the sight. The boy looked so smol and cute. He reached to touch Krist’s head. “Don’t cry. Uncle is sure your father will be here.”

Krist only nodded, wiping his nonstop tears. There’s announcement in the background that Seungcheol guessed it’s about Krist as his name was mentioned. Krist reached to clutch at Seungcheol’s shirt. Seungcheol looked at the boy and smiled warmly. He let one arm hugging the boy as Krist scooted closer plastering himself at the kind uncle. He did no longer doubt the elder male. Somehow, the boy felt safe. This uncle had been his saviour, his hero.

Some moment later, Krist perked up as he heard his name was called by a familiar voice. He turned from the comfort of Seungcheol and cried in excitement when he saw his father. “Papi!” Krist jumped down the seat and ran towards the newcomer. He hugged his father tight. The father was crying, hugging tight before checking the boy for any injury. His mouth was busy reprimanding the boy for going off alone. The boy just sniffled and cried. The father wasn’t mad but he’s worried. The drama of the father and son watched by the lady with fond smile and Seungcheol who was stunned on his seat once he saw the face of the father.

“J.” Seungcheol called out once he found himself walking towards the pair. The father looked up and gasped.

“Cheol.” Jihoon quivered. He stunned, panicking inside. As if feeling his father’s fear, Krist clutched at Jihoon.

“Papi?” Jihoon looked at Krist. Krist frowned at him. “Papi knows uncle?” Krist said in Thai. Jihoon didn’t know what face he was showing but Krist didn’t like the look and he did what he always do. He kissed Jihoon’s cheek to make it better. It was the father and son things whenever they didn’t like the sad or weird expression on each other. “Better?” Jihoon just smiled and ruffled Krist’s hair. He looked up again, this time standing up holding Krist’s hand. He was nervous and gave a distorted smile to the older man.

“Hi. It’s... unexpected to see you here, Cheol ssi.” Jihoon said politely in Hangul. Seungcheol blinked. He was happy and everything inside to see this guy again before his eyes. If he followed his heart at the moment, he already pulled him into a tight hug but seeing Krist beside him Seungcheol hesitated. It was a long gap of time, anything could happen. Most probably..., Seungcheol glanced at Krist who looked up to him.

“Uncle is kind. Papi, uncle helps me find papi.” Krist said as he looked up to Jihoon. Jihoon looked at Krist before turning to Seungcheol.

“Kamsahamnida.”

“It’s fine.” Seungcheol gulped a lump. “Krist...”

“My son.” Jihoon didn’t know why but he wanted to clarify that. Seungcheol hid his clenched fist.

“Oh. He’s a smart kid. You teach him English at young age.” Seungcheol said smiling to Krist. Krist smiled back as if he understood Seungcheol. He actually understood thou.

“I like English. I ask papi, English class.” Krist answered with his limited English words. Seungcheol blinked.

“He understands Hangul but never managed to form an answer back, unlike English. Perhaps because he likes English more.” Jihoon said. Seungcheol formed an O, amazed with the boy ability. “Again, thank you for helping Krist, Cheol ssi. I have important things to do, we go first.” Jihoon tried to cut short this unexpected meeting. He needed to go away now before Seungcheol could ask him more. Jihoon pulled Krist away. Krist just followed. Seungcheol startled with the sudden outcome before he moved his legs to catch Jihoon’s wrist.

Please log in to read the full chapter