Flashback pt.1

A.C.E of the Seas

Byeongkwan didn’t remember much from when he first got taken aboard the A.C.E. It was probably due to the really bad concussion he got from the storm, but he doesn’t really remember meeting everyone. The parts he remembers most clearly are with Chan, and everything else is a blur. 

The next thing he remembers clearly, however, is waking up in a bed alone with Seyoon by his side.

 

His head felt congested and dizzying. And his throat hurt immensely, probably from the acidic aftermath of vomiting. 

“Se….yoon?” Byeongkwan tried to piece together the stranger’s name. 

“That’s me.” The other replied. He reached over and grabbed a mug. “It’s water. Drink.”

Byeongkwan weakly reached for the cup, but Seyoon noticed and put the drink down. He reached over to help Byeongkwan sit up before putting the drink in Byeongkwan’s hands.

“Drink it slowly.” He said.

“Thanks.” Byeongkwan replied. His throat was still raspy and the water tasted so good. 

“Where’s Chan?”

Seyoon thought for a moment. “...He’s finishing up the chores.” he lied. 

“I’ll go help.” Byeongkwan proclaimed and moved to stand up.

“No!” Seyoon stopped him. “It’s fine. He’s almost done and will be here soon. Please, rest. That is what Chan would want you to do anyways.”

Byeongkwan seemed to acknowledge that and resettled in bed. Seyoon noticed that Byeongkwan seems to care for Chan a lot.

“Is he your brother?” Seyoon asked.

“No,” Byeongkwan replied, “But he is like a brother to me. We have been together for as long as either of us can remember.”

“That makes sense. You don’t look very much alike.” Seyoon nodded, “Chan is very cutesy and you are….” he trailed off.

Byeongkwan looked confused. ‘I am..?”

Seyoon coughed. “Very handsome.” He finished.

“Wha-!” Byeongkwan blushed in surprise. “...Thanks.”

“You’re welcome.”

“Thanks for the water too.” Byeongkwan gripped the mug tightly in his hand.

“You’re welcome again.” Seyoon answered.

Byeongkwan let out a weak laugh. Seyoon was surprisingly comfortable to be around.

Just then, Chan walked back in with the others. Chan explained to him that he got a concussion and Byeongkwan felt so stupid. He’s seen plenty of knights he’s trained with get concussions, but he couldn’t even tell himself that he was unwell. 

He felt terrible for making Chan worry.

Byeongkwan promised Chan that he would take extra care to rest up. 

And thus began his week of boredom aboard the ACE...

 

The first two days he had stayed mostly in bed. Chan had dropped by to see him as often as he can, but the rest of the crew made sure to keep the newbie busy. Donghun and Jun had popped their heads in every once in a while, but Seyoon was the only one who stayed and talked to Byeongkwan for long periods of time. 

Byeongkwan learned that Seyoon was from a small village on the coastline of the same country, Choice. Seyoon always talked about how beautiful and peaceful life was there. How he lived their with his younger sister, Eunsuh, and his mom and dad. His dad was a fisherman, and often crewed up together with Donghun’s and Jun’s fathers. That’s how the three of them met.

“We’d always hang out by the dock until our fathers got back, then we’d help drag in the fish.” Seyoon explained. “Once we were old enough to learn to sail, our fathers took us out on fishing trips.” Seyoon laughed. “But the three of us wanted to be knights. How foolish we were.”

“That’s not foolish.” Byeongkwan replied. “I wanted to be a knight too.”

Seyoon gave a weak smile. “And now? Do you still want to be a knight?”

Byeongkwan looked sad. He eventually shook his head. “No. Not anymore.”

“Us too.” Seyoon replied. “But back then, it was the job of dreams. We found a swordmaster and trained everyday to improve our fighting skills.”

“I guess you’re pretty good then.” Byeongkwan challenged.

Seyoon smile. “I am. Would you like to find out how good I am?”

“I accept your challenge.” Byeongkwan retorted. “Although, it will have to be when I’m feeling better.”

“Of course.”