Trapped

A.C.E of the Seas

When Chan awoke, he was hurting all over. His head was pounding so hard, that it was dizzying. He remembered being hit on the head, so he reached up to feel the bump. 

As he moved he heard the jangling of chains. He looked down to see his wrists and ankles cuffed, with large metal links connecting them to a granite wall. It was dim and dark, and moist. Chan figured he was in an underground dungeon somewhere. It wasn’t hard to guess where.

“Well, look who’s awake!” the voice of the privateer rung in Chan’s ears. Chan looked in front of him, and standing just beyond the prison bars were two men and a young lady.

The privateer was grinning at him. Behind the privateer was Chan’s uncle, with a solemn look on his face. Next to them was Chan’s cousin, Mina. 

 

“Kang Yuchan, you’ve shamed me.” His uncle stated. Chan flinched at the sound of his uncle’s voice. “You deserve punishment.”

“Yeah,” Mina added, “How could you just leave without telling your fiancee?” She said sweetly. “I was soooo sad.”

Chan gritted his teeth. He didn’t want to be married to his cousin. He knew it was all a ploy for his uncle to be the official Earl anyways. Ever since his parents had died, his uncle had aimed for the title of nobility.

“I will deliver his punishment personally.” Chan’s uncle declared. “Mina, please go upstairs and play with your toys.”

“You mean the slaves, father?” Mina clarified. “...with pleasure.”

Chan felt sick listening to his relatives. He had no idea where things had gone so wrong. They had been such kind people in the past.

“Open his cell.” his uncle ordered. The metal door swung open and his uncle pulled out a whip.

“I will teach you what it’s like to go against my orders.”

 

[a couple hours later]

 

It was only several hours after Chan had awoken in his family’s mansion’s basement, but he already felt like death. His head was still hurting, but even more so, the bright red lashings smeared all over his skin stung. Every time he breathed he felt more and more pain. 

He knew his uncle wouldn’t kill him though. He was still needed as a pawn.

Chan wanted to cry, not only because he was physically hurting, but also because he had never felt so alone. He missed ACE and he had no idea where Byeongkwan was. His hope was dwindling and so was his will to live. 

So caught up in his thoughts, Chan almost didn’t hear the sound of swords clashing against each other in the distance. It sounded like someone was fighting their way into the prison. 

Chan heard footsteps running towards him and he braced himself for whomever was coming. 

“Chan!” 

Chan let out a huge sigh of relief when he saw Byeongkwan.

“Kwannie!” He yelled weakly. 

Byeongkwan saw Chan’s state and panicked. He quickly got out the prison keys he stole from the guard and unlocked Chan’s cell. He went to quickly unlock Chan’s bindings as well.

“You’re hurt.” Byeongkwan commented.

Chan nodded. 

Byeongkwan took one look at Chan wounds and he knew what had happened. “Your uncle.” Byeongkwan commented.

“Yes.” Chan admitted. “But let’s save the talk for later. I want to get out of here.”

“Understood.” Byeongkwan answered. He pulled out another sword from his belt and gave it to Chan. Byeongkwan also tossed him some clean clothes. “I found these near the entrance. Put them on.”

Chan quickly pulled the shirt over his head and put on the shorts. He hissed as the linen made contact with his wounds, but otherwise ignored the pain. “Let’s go.” Chan stated.

The two of them ran up the stairs. 

“The back entrance is too far from here. We are going to have to break out from the front.” Chan commented and Byeongkwan nodded his head.

They ran towards the front of the mansion, only to find themselves facing oncoming guards.

“Quick! This way.” Chan saw the men in front and detoured to a side hallway. They took a right and were back on track to reach the front door. 

“Behind us!” Byeongkwan shouted. 

Chan glanced back to see a crowd of oncoming soldiers. Luckily, Chan and Byeongkwan were quiet light on their feet and were able to keep a safe distance from the soldiers as they ran.

“I can see it!” Chan exclaimed as they approached the front door. He swung it open in anticipation, only to be stopped dead in his tracks.

Outside, there were more soldiers lined up, blocking the area between the front door and the main entrance gate. Behind them, the soldiers that were chasing them had also caught up and started to surround the escapees.

“We’re doomed.” Byeongkwan commented. He pressed his back against Chan’s, and the circle of soldiers was closing in on them.

“What do we do now?” Byeongkwan asked.

Chan grit his teeth as he pulled out his sword. “We can’t surrender. Not after coming this far.” Chan replied.

Byeongkwan nodded. It was surely impossible to escape as this point, but at least they wouldn’t go down without a fight.