Final

A.C.E of the Seas

Chan and Byeongkwan were totally surrounded. 

The soldiers surrounding Chan and Byeongkwan started to inch towards them, the tips of their weapons brandished towards their targets.

Just before Chan and Byeongkwan were about to begin fighting back, they heard loud yelling from beyond the gate. 

 

Suddenly, the wooden front entrance gates vibrated, as if something big and heavy was thrown against it. The soldiers all turned around to look at the sound, and just then, the gate started to crack. A large battering ram burst through, and villagers started pouring in through the opening. Everyone was yelling and there was immediate chaos.

“For the good of Choice!” Chan heard someone in the crowd yell.

“Justice for Choice!” Another voice had said. 

Byeongkwan pulled Chan closer to him. “Stay with me!” Byeongkwan ordered. 

Everywhere around them, people with fishing spears and farming tools were attacking the armed soldiers. The soldiers fought back, but were heavily outnumbered.

“Chan, Byeongkwan!” Chan heard someone in the crowd yell. Someone grabbed Chan by the arm and he almost swung his sword before he realised who it was. 

“Captain!” Chan replied gleefully. 

Jun smiled at Chan’s response. “I’m glad you’re okay.” 

Chan noticed Donghun and Seyoon right behind him. Both of them smiled at Chan.

“Come on, let’s escape while the villagers keep them busy.” Jun said.

Chan looked around. “How did you….?”

“I’ve told you before, Chan.” Donghun pointed out. “Everyone has been preparing for a revolt. It was a little early, but we talked them into taking action now.”

“All to save me?” Chan asked.

Seyoon laughed. “It was more of killing two birds with one stone.”

“Let’s get out of here and talk there.” Jun proposed over the sounds of battle, and everyone else nodded.

Jun grabbed Chan’s hand and led him outside the gates. Seyoon grabbed Byeongkwan’s hand, and Donghun guarded the rear as the five of them fled. 

They ran past the crowd of angry villagers trying to get into the manor and over to the side of the road. 

When they got out of the crowd, Jun had let go of Chan’s hand. But Seyoon was refusing to let go of Byeongkwan. 

“Seyoon… please... let go.” Byeongkwan panted between breaths.

“No.” Seyoon answered. “I don’t want to lose you again.”

He pulled Byeongkwan closer, straight into a hug. 

Byeongkwan yelped in surprise, but everyone else seemed remarkably unfazed. 

Perhaps the others had already noticed how obvious the two feelings were for each other.

 

“I can’t believe you guys came to save me.” Chan looked at Jun and Donghun.

Donghun looked at Chan. “Honestly, we can’t believe it either.”

“We saved a noble!” Jun grinned. “Would you believe that?!”

Chan smiled. “Thank you.”

Jun reached over to Chan and rolled up the younger’s sleeve. He looked down to see red gashes all over Chan’s upper arm.

“Chan, what is this?” Jun asked, worried.

Chan yanked his arm away, embarrassed. “It was my punishment. Punishment for running away.”

“You ran away?” Donghun questioned.

Chan nodded. “I did. When I realized the people of my land was suffering, I couldn’t bear to live in that house anymore.”

“Chan had tried to help the people before he left.” Byeongkwan cut in, “But his uncle wouldn’t let him.”

Chan sighed. “It’s because I wasn’t of age. I was still powerless.”

“It must have been hard.” Seyoon said. “To realize how bad things are, but not be able to help.”

Chan nodded. “Thankfully I had Byeongkwan by my side.”

Byeongkwan, who was still being hugged by Seyoon, forced his way out of the other’s grip. “You know I would do anything for you.”

Chan smiled. “I know, and thank you.”

 

“I hate to interrupt this nice moment.” Jun cut in, “But I think the fighting has stopped.”

The noise from the battle had simmered down.

“What should we do?” Donghun asked.

Everyone looked around for a moment, before everyone turned to Chan. Chan noticed everyone’s eyes on him and he sighed.

“What will happen to my relatives?” He asked.

Jun frowned. “The people aren’t happy, Chan. They will probably get killed.”

“What if I go back now?” Chan proposed.

“You might be able to save them.” Donghun replied, “But the people are going to hold you accountable. You might have to be the people’s prisoner of war.”

“Or you and Byeongkwan could come with us.” Seyoon suggested. “The people wouldn’t have to know who you are. You can just live with us as Chan.”

Chan looked at Byeongkwan, but Byeongkwan shook his head. “This decision is yours alone, Chan.” 

Byeongkwan turned at Seyoon. “I’m sorry Seyoon, but no matter what Chan chooses, I will follow him.”

Seyoon nodded. “I want you to stay with me, Byeongkwan. But I know this decision is bigger than you and me. This is an important decision for the people of Choice.”

He turned to Chan. “I love Byeongkwan and I want him by my side. But I don’t want that to affect your decision. Chan, it’s more important for you to decide based on what you think is right for you and for the villagers.”

Chan nodded. It was all up to him now. He had been postponing this choice up till now, but this moment was his time to choose.

He could save his family and live as a noble, under the people’s will. 

Or he could throw away his nobility, and live as a pirate for the people’s sake.

Chan looked around at everyone else. Their eyes were full of encouragement and compassion, and Chan felt immensely better knowing he had the backing of all the crew in front of him.

Never before had met so many people that were so supportive of him.

 

In the beginning, when Chan first arrived on their ship, he was lost and afraid. He had just lost his friends to a terrible storm, and his immediate future was unclear. Jun, Donghun, and Sehyoon had worked him hard, and Chan wasn’t sure if they even cared for him. 

But after spending a couple of days on the ship, Chan realized that the rest of the crew wasn’t as scary as they first seemed. Eventually, Chan’s feelings towards them grew to respect and gratitude. 

Even after finding out they were pirates, he couldn’t help but believe they were still good people. He fought alongside them, listened to their life stories, and watched them support each other. Chan knew that Jun, Donghun, and Sehyoon were just doing what they could to live and support others the best they could. 

He still felt bad and guilty for hurting people. But after being saved by Jun and the others, Chan realized the other three were doing all they could to protect the people they cared about. They weren’t hurting people for the sake of hurting people. They were doing it to help people. 

 

Chan nodded, full of determination. He had made his choice.

“From now on, the Earl of this area is dead. The land will be ruled by the people.” Chan announced. “I wish to go with you all, and live as a pirate.”

“We’ll work you hard.” Jun said. “I don’t play favorites with nobles.”

“I know.” Chan nodded.

“It’ll be a tough life.” Donghun added, “You never know when you’ll be facing danger.”

“I know.” Chan replied.

“You’ll be a criminal. You’ll have to hurt others.” Seyoon reminded.

“I know,” Chan agreed, “But still. I can’t imagine a better choice for me. I want to help and support the people of Choice in the best way I can. And this is it. I want to be part of your crew.”

“Me too.” Byeongkwan pledged. “We want to officially be part of ACE.”

Byeongkwan reached over to grab Seyoon’s hand. He interlaced his fingers with the other’s and smiled when he felt the Seyoon squeeze his hand back. 

“Very well then.” Jun declared. “We will accept you.”

“Thanks Captain.” Chan blurted out as he ran to hug the other. Chan grabbed Jun with one arm and Donghun with the other and hugged them both together.

Jun and Donghun seemed surprised at the sudden show of affection, but they both accepted it and patted Chan on the back.

Jun smiled.  “Both of you, welcome to the crew.”