Discrepancy

A.C.E of the Seas

*clang*

*clang*

*clang*

Byeongkwan dodged the next strike and went for Seyoon’s stomach. The elder pirate quickly recovered his stance and fended off Byeongkwan’s quick strike.

“You’re fast.” Seyoon commented. He wiped off some sweat that had gathered on his forehead.

“Thanks.” Byeongkwan replied. He pretended to lower his guard for a second, then he went in for a sudden strike.

*clang!*

Seyoon blocked it once again.

“How do you do that?!” Byeongkwan asked incredulously. He hadn’t been able to hit Seyoon once this whole time.

Seyoon laughed. “Practice.”

“I’ve probably practiced sword longer than you.” Byeongkwan stated.

Seyoon thought for a second. “Actually it’s probably more experience than practice.”

Byeongkwan sighed. Seyoon had definitely been in more real-life battles than him.

“I’ll take a loss this time.” Byeongkwan admitted.

“Then as we promised, the winner gets to order the other person around once.” Seyoon proclaimed happily.

Byeongkwan laughed. “Okay, what do you want me to do?”

Seyoon cleared his throat. He stared at Byeongkwan for a second and hesitated.

“What?” Byeongkwan asked curiously. “I’ll do whatever you want. A promise is a promise.”

“Okay then,” Seyoon took a deep breath, “I want you to….kiss me.”

Byeongkwan froze in place and his mouth fell open. 

“A-a promise is a promise.” Seyoon repeated Byeongkwan’s words nervously.

“I can’t believe you!” Byeongkwan looked really embarrassed, but he didn’t look too opposed.

He put down his sparring weapon and took one step closer to Seyoon. Byeongkwan cleared his throat before he took a few steps closer awkwardly. he could feel his face get warmer and warmer as the space between him and Seyoon shrunk. He stopped right in front of the other. They were so close that Byeongkwan could feel Seyoon’s nervous breath on his own lips.

Suddenly, Byeongkwan reached up and grabbed Seyoon by the face. Byeongkwan forced Seyoon’s head to the side and he quickly gave Seyoon a peck on the cheek. He backed off from the other. 

“T-there.” Byeongkwan stuttered, “Are you happy?” He asked defiantly, to hide his embarrassment.

Seyoon looked a little disappointed, but happy nevertheless. he nodded. 

“I will get my revenge later!” Byeongkwan promised. 

Seyoon smiled. “I look forward to it.”

 

Seyoon looked around until he spotted Chan. The younger was still in the crow’s nest. He had been there all morning, and even though Seyoon had tried to coax him to come down for breakfast, Chan had refused.

“Hey Byeongkwan,” Seyoon called to the other, “Is Chan okay?”

Byeongkwan looked up at the crow’s nest, where Chan was sitting by himself. 

Byeongkwan remembered the last conversation he had with Chan was about staying or leaving ACE. “He has a lot to think about.” Byeongkwan replied.

Byeongkwan knew that Chan has more of a burden on his shoulders than anyone else right now. Chan has never had it easy due to his family situation, and ever since he was thrown into the pirate life, Byeongkwan knew Chan had a lot to deal with mentally.

But Byeongkwan also knew that he couldn’t do anything about it. He hated himself for not being able to help Chan more.

Seyoon noticed how upset Byeongkwan was and patted him on the shoulder. “Chan’s a good kid. I think he will be okay.”

“I know.” Byeongkwan replied dispassionately. Unfortunately it didn’t look like Seyoon’s encouragement helped much.

“Byeongkwan,” Seyoon spoke, “What do you think of us?”

Byeongkwan shrugged.

“Do you hate us for making you join us as pirates?” Seyoon asked.

“No.” Byeongkwan replied, “It was necessary for both of our survival. Plus you guys have treated us nicer than anyone else would treat their prisoners.”

Seyoon nodded in agreement.

“But,” Byeongkwan continued, “I still don’t agree with your way of life. It’s wrong to be a pirate.”

“Why do you think that?” Seyoon asked.

Byeongkwan frowned. Part of it, was that he was always taught that pirates were bad people. But he’s learned that’s not always true. At least, he wanted to believe that Seyoon and the others weren’t bad people at heart. But Byeongkwan wasn’t too sure.

“You hurt innocent people.” Byeongkwan stated.

Seyoon sighed. “Byeongkwan, they might seem innocent to you, but that’s not true.”

“What do you mean?” Byeongkwan questioned.

“We only steal from noblemen.” Seyoon explained. 

“So what?” Byeongkwan exclaimed. “Noblemen are innocent people.”

“No they aren’t.” Seyoon retorted. “They’re liars that live off of the life out of others.”

“Not all nobles are like that.” Byeongkwan pointed out. 

“If not all nobles were bad, the country wouldn’t be suffering like this.” Seyoon argued.

Byeongkwan looked mad. “You can’t say that about people you don’t know! There are some of them out there trying their hardest!”

Seyoon scoffed. “You’re talking as if you know them. Don’t tell me you’re a noble too!”

“I’m not!” Byeongkwan yelled. “But that doesn’t mean I have to hate them. What you’re doing isn’t right. It’s not justice!”

“There’s no other way.” Seyoon countered. “The people “upholding” justice are all corrupt. We’re just doing what we have to to survive. We’re doing this for the people.”

“That’s dumb.” Byeongkwan stated, “You’re just convincing yourself that this is right. You’re just preying on innocent people and pretending they are wrong, so you feel better about yourself.”

“Shut up!” Seyoon yelled. “You don’t know anything. You don’t know anything about how we’ve survived. You have no right to decide if what we are doing is right.”

“I can’t listen to this.” Byeongkwan scoffed. “You can’t expect me to follow your fake cause. I’m taking Chan and leaving.” Byeongkwan turned around, only to come face-to-face with Jun.

“You’re not allowed to leave.” Jun had his sword out. “We will be docking soon. I can’t have you causing trouble. Seyoon, grab him.”

“Sorry.” Byeongkwan heard Seyoon apologize before the elder grabbed both of Byeongkwan’s arms. Seyoon quickly held Byeongkwan back and tied his hands behind his back with some rope. 

“Lock him in the forecastle. Don’t tell Chan.” Jun ordered.

Jun turned to Byeongkwan. “This is for your own good.”

“No! Stop! Let me go!” Byeongkwan struggled against Seyoon. “Chan! CHAN!” 

Byeongkwan yelled, trying to get Chan’s attention. Unfortunately, the younger was too distracted to notice. 

“Chan! Help!” Byeongkwan continued to yell in vain.

Seyoon looked really apologetic but stayed silent as he dragged Byeongkwan below deck.