Storm

A.C.E of the Seas

No one expected this kind of storm.

 

Above deck was absolute chaos. Some men were screaming orders;

“Pull in the mainsail!”

“Batten down the hatches!”

And everyone else was run around to complete them.

Chan watched as his friends strained against the storm, covered from head to toe in sweat and rain alike, desperate looks on their faces as they fought the natural disaster.

“Quickly! Throw the barrels overboard!” Chan heard the Quartermaster yell.

Chan scampered over to formed a human chain with other members of the crew. The bucket brigade started underdeck - where the cargo was held - and finished above deck, where Chan was standing. The barrels were rapidly fed up the line until Chan could pull them over the deck.

Chan could feel his muscles strain against him as he pushed the barrels overboard. The cargo barrels were heavy and rough against his hands. Chan was sore and hurting, wet and drained, but he could not complain. After all, this was a fight for his and his friends' lives.  

As the cold and wet rain whipped across his face, Chan looked around. He squinted against the fog and tried to make out the shadowy figures bolting around on deck.

Where was Byeongkwan?

Just then, the ship started the tilt, throwing Chan off balance. As he tried to catch his balance, he heard a snap. The safety line that was attached to his waist was broken. Before he could even scream for help, a wave of water surged into his body, pushing him off the deck.

He flailed against the strong surge of water, but was tossed against around against his will. He felt dizzy as the sea spun him in all directions and whipped him over and over again.

Somehow, he was thrown above water for a second and he gasped for air. Chan felt something bump into him and he grabbed it without thinking. It was a sharp piece of wood that sliced a cut across his arm as he held onto it, but that was the least of Chan’s worries.

Chan was all turned around, and he couldn’t see anything but waves crashing around him and rain pelting him. At least the wood kept him above water, but he couldn’t count on it for long. Chan tried tread against the water but he was too weak. He was too weak and too tired, and his body ached all over.

Desperate, Chan tried to call out for help. He could barely hear his own voice over the sound of crashing waves and lightning. There was nothing but raging sea around him.

Above him, one particularly large wave was forming. Chan felt the water around his body start to pull him in towards the forming wave and he let out a final gasp of air. There was no way he could survive this on his own.

Chan whimpered as the large wave’s shadow blanketed him in darkness. It was about to come down on him, and Chan almost thought he heard Byeongkwan call out his name.

I must be imagining things now that I’m about to die.

That was Chan’s last thought as the water crashed into him.