Chapter 11

What Happens in Vegas Doesn't Stay There

I must apologize my little kittens. I meant to have this chapter done and posted Monday, but I broke a tooth eating Sugar Babies (for those not familiar, they're small, semi-hard caramels.) Caramels are definitely my favorite candy, but I know better than to eat them because of how sticky they are. Anyway, I had to have emergency surgery Tuesday to have the tooth pulled and I'm on the good painkillers so I've been moving kind of slow the last few days. So to make up for my lack of postings, here's an extra long chapter of a day in the life of Kyungsoo.

 

                Kyungsoo felt extremely heavy, yet quite warm and safe snuggled up with Jongin under his usual pile of blankets. He still wasn’t really thrilled with having a rifle in the house, but his husband had made a pretty good point about predators and at least the thing was up out of the way and was unlikely to go off. He’d only meant to tell the cowboy goodnight and once again how happy he was they were back together, but apparently his subconscious had other ideas. He wasn’t even aware of what he said until Jongin pulled away and sat up and started speaking.

                “What did you just say Soo?”

                Fighting the lead weight his body had become with exhaustion and relief, the confused Kyungsoo slowly sat up himself.

                “What do you mean? I only said goodnight, didn’t I?”

                “No you didn’t Soo. You said a man should be with the man he loves. I’m assuming that’s your way of admitting you think you love me, or am I misinterpreting?”

                Now slightly more awake, Kyungsoo d around in the dark for Jongin’s hand and held it tightly. “Well, I wasn’t intending on admitting anything yet since I doubt you feel the same way at least for now, but I don’t think anything. I do love you, idiot. Had I just intended to move west; I could’ve gone anywhere. However, on a ranch just outside a tiny Nevada town that the residents seem to affectionately refer to as Nowhere, I just happen to be married to an adorable y cowboy with a giant appetite and even bigger heart. Before you argue, I heard a lot of stories about you from the Hollands and Chanyeol, and when I first met Tansy, she wouldn’t quit talking about how you always played with her, and were there when she needed you most. Your bunkmates had their own stories, and of course I had my own experience. Gay or not, not too many people as gorgeous as you would’ve even given someone like me a first glance, let alone a second or agree to share a room no matter how confident I tried to pretend to be when I made the offer. I just wouldn’t have forgiven myself for not trying, but I had a lot of time to think after you left. I never expected you to say yes, and when we woke up married with no idea how we got that way, I kept expecting you to suggest an annulment as soon as possible. When you didn’t, I assumed you wanted to play along to amuse yourself, but then…”

                “Then you agreed even when I gave you an out, and we had our first wonderful night together. I wasn’t playing along; I didn’t want to leave or be the one to suggest such a thing. I kept expecting you to, once you realized I’m just a dunce of a human garbage disposal who rides horses and dreams about teaching dance. The hardest thing I’ve ever done was leave, but Tansy needed me while her grandparents dealt with everything. Meanwhile, you’re intelligent, educated, have definite goals you now have the opportunity to achieve, and I don’t think you have any idea of how drop-dead y you really are.”

                “Right, with my chubby cheeks and coke bottle glasses.”

                “I happen to like your cheeks, and I’m glad not everyone gets to see your eyes, especially when they go all soft or fill with lust. I’m selfish enough I want to be the only one to see them like that, as well as your special smile, the one I saw earlier that made me look forward to being a little uncomfortable on a horse tomorrow. I don’t know where all these doubts are coming from now. Where’s my confident Soo who fought with his best friend and packed up and moved out here because that’s where I am? And I’ll tell you something else Do Kyungsoo, if you don’t think I love you after getting to see what I suspect is more of the real you than you ever show people, maybe you need new glasses. I’m just not good at saying that kind of stuff, mostly because Taemin said it all the time and it always made my skin crawl because he was such a creep. That, and I never had anyone I wanted to say it to since I don’t say things I don’t mean. So Mister Kim, will you accept I love you and should we go to sleep now since I have to be up before the crack of dawn?”

                Kyungsoo couldn’t help it. As soon as Jongin reached for him and pulled him close so they could both lie down again, he started sobbing. All the fears he had shoved to the back of his mind and refused to acknowledge, whether actual concerns, doubts due to being a disappointment or mere means to an end for so long, or the imaginary worries that came with being an introvert threatened to overwhelm him, only to be chased off by his husband’s arms around him.

                “I’m sorry, I’m not usually a crier” Kyungsoo finally managed to say as he calmed himself and furiously scrubbed his eyes with the back of his hand. “I do love you, and Mister Do I think sleep is an excellent idea.”

 

                Kyungsoo hadn’t actually expected to sleep after his mini-meltdown, but he knew Jongin needed rest since he had to work. He must have dozed off despite himself because the next thing he knew he was practically blasted out of bed by an obnoxiously loud country song about the singer wanting some guy to stay and be his lover, despite his father.

                “Huh wha?” he managed to say oh so intelligently, squinting as Jongin clicked on the lamp and finally silenced his phone.

                “Sorry Soo, I forgot you didn’t know how loud my alarm was. Go back to sleep. I’ll get dressed and head up to the house for breakfast.”

                “Oh no you don’t Mister Do” Kyungsoo was awake now that his soul was back in his body, and he slipped out of bed and grabbed his bathrobe and slippers. “If you think you’re leaving to go eat bacon and donuts, you’re sadly mistaken.”

                “Cook spilled the beans, huh?”

                “How did you survive on your own before? Go get ready and I’ll make you a real breakfast. Will you come here for lunch, and I’m making stew for dinner.”

                “My good looks and charming personality, yes Dear, and I’m not sure. It depends on what I’m doing today as to whether I’ll be able to take a proper lunch, or someone will be running sandwiches and hot coffee out.”

                Kyungsoo shook his head and padded over to the kitchen area. He knew he needed to think over fully the conversation he’d had with Jongin and possibly have another one or more with the man in the bathroom currently singing the same song they’d woken up to, but completely off-key, but for now he was just going to enjoy his first day as a house husband as he learned Jongin’s work hours and worked out a schedule for himself with all the stuff he wanted to do, keep their cabin, help Cook, dig out the old garden and figure out what would be good to plant, make plans for moving in goats, play with Tansy, learn what he’ll need when the time came to get his own business started. He was hoping evenings would be spent with Jongin, either by themselves or he knew his husband liked to spend time at Chanyeol’s bar or with his former bunkmates or other work friends. He also knew there would be times he’d be by himself at night when Jongin had some type of night duty like foal watch or critter patrol, but he’d be safe enough in the cabin, curled up in bed with a book or texting Baek, if his best friend decided he was no longer mad at him for leaving.

                Kyungsoo had gotten the “dissolve a spoon strength” coffee Jongin preferred started and was frying veggies and rice to stuff in omelets when his husband came out in his work clothes and he nearly turned the stove off and dragged the cowboy back to bed. He had no idea how anyone could look so damn amazing in faded jeans and plaid flannel, but the man he married certainly managed.

                “There’s that look in your eyes again Soo. Damn, I wish I could just let you have your way with me, but I suppose we should act like grown ups and not just teenagers. What are you making?”

                “Omelets, Kyungsoo style. Go have your coffee while I finish up. It should be strong enough to melt your insides.”

                “Just how I like it.”

                Jongin kissed the top of Kyungsoo’s head and went to pour his coffee and sit down at their little table, while the short man whipped the eggs and cheese together and poured in another pan. Expertly flipping the eggs over, he poured the veggies and rice in the middle and neatly folded it before pulling out one of the plates he’d set in the oven to warm, and setting the omelet on one of them, adding the buttered toast he’d already made and was also in the oven. He carried his creation over to his husband, who looked delighted.

                “This smells amazing Soo! Where’s yours?”

                “I still have to make it, but I wanted to get yours done first in case you had to leave.”

                “Go make your breakfast so we can eat together. You actually saved me a lot of time since I didn’t have to run to the house or wait in line. I’m also much nearer where I’ll be working today, I just don’t know exactly how much there is to do yet.”

                Kyungsoo nodded and went to make his own, much smaller omelet, flipping it on his own warmed plate and adding his toast. He carried his plate, along with his herbal tea he’d made over to the table and sat down in the other chair, tangling his feet with Jongin’s as they had their first meal together in their first home together.

                “Ah Soo, that was even better than I expected. I thought you’d be a good cook working in a restaurant and wanting to make your own meals to sell, but I had no idea I’d married a food genius.”

                Kyungsoo blushed and busied himself with the last of his toast, okay to have Jongin get up and hug him.

                “You’re so cute when you’re embarrassed, but what I said was still the truth. I even have time to wash the dishes before I leave.”

                Kyungsoo tried to protest that he’d do it, but Jongin just told him to finish his tea as the cowboy ran hot, soapy water into the sink and began to scrub, setting the washed ones in the other side until it was full, then rinsing and setting them carefully in the rack like he knew what he was doing. He even poured the rest of his coffee into a thermos he’d must have had from before, before washing the pot and setting it to dry.

                “I’ll do what I can to help around the house, and if there’s something in particular you want done, just let me know. I need to go now, but I’ll see you later. I love you Soo.”

                Kyungsoo got up and went to hug and kiss Jongin goodbye. “I love you too Baby.”

                It was very quiet in the cabin after Jongin had taken his thermos of coffee, put on his boots, jacket, and hat, and left. Kyungsoo, despite the early hour had no real desire to go back to bed without his husband to cuddle, so tossed in a load of laundry, finished cleaning the kitchen area, dried and put away the dishes, got dressed, made the bed, and swept the floor before throwing the clothes in the dryer and bundling up and taking his lantern to head to the house to see if Cook needed help.

                When Kyungsoo arrived at the main house, he had barely stepped inside when he was greeted by a small blonde whirlwind, still dressed in yellow fleece pajamas covered in teddy bears.

                “Kunthu!” Tansy shouted happily, giving the short man a hug. “Where Kai?”

                Kyungsoo smiled and hugged the little girl back. “He went to work already. I just came to see if Cook needed help.”

                “Without bweakfatht?”

                “Don’t worry, I made sure to feed him first.”

                “You can cook Kunthu?”

                “Yes I can. Have you had your breakfast yet?”

                “No. Gwamma and Gwampa not up yet, and I not allowed to eat donuts and Cook’s oatmeal ith weird.”

                “Well, do you think your grandparents would be okay if I made you breakfast, or should you wait for them?”

                “I think they be okay, ath long as ith healthy.”

                Tansy took Kyungsoo’s hand and pulled him along behind her, leading him to the Hollands’ living quarters. He nodded in approval at the well-stocked and organized kitchen, then set the little girl up on a chair in a little pink apron he’d found, so she could help him stir up blueberry pancakes and at her request, scrambled eggs with cheese. He wasn’t sure how well that qualified as healthy, but he couldn’t exactly object after the omelets he’d made earlier.

                Kyungsoo had just settled Tansy in her booster seat at the table with her eggs and cut up pancake and a small cup of orange juice when the Hollands came stumbling into the kitchen and stopped short in surprise.

                “Well Kyungsoo! What a surprise. What brings you here so early? I figured you’d still be asleep” Missus Holland said, while Boss limped over to sit at the table and no doubt see what Tansy was eating.

                “Jongin’s alarm is loud enough to wake the dead, so I made him breakfast. I was restless after he left, so once I’d straightened up, I decided to see if Cook needed help. I met Tansy first though and she said she didn’t think you’d mind if I used your kitchen since she hadn’t eaten yet and wasn’t allowed donuts and she doesn’t like Cook’s oatmeal for some reason?”

                “The men like it plain, and just put milk and sugar in it, and for some butter. Tansy likes cinnamon and apples, or berries and almonds. Her favorite is scrambled eggs with cheese though.”

                “She asked me for those, even after I started the pancakes. Which reminds me, there’s enough left for you and Boss if you’d like some. Or, have I overstepped my bounds and I should just clean up and leave?”

                “We’d be delighted to try your pancakes, and you’re part of the Holland extended family now you’ve married our Jongin. You’re welcome anytime.”

                Kyungsoo blushed so hard he could probably have fried pancakes on his face, but just managed to stumble over a thank you and went back to the stove. He was done fairly quickly and quietly served the Hollands before cleaning up after himself, washing the pans and bowls and utensils he used and drying and putting them back. He ran fresh dishwater for the plates, only to get shooed off by Missus Holland.

                “You’ve done more than enough. Those were the best pancakes I think I’ve ever had, and you fed our little bottomless pit. There’s a reason Tansy and Jongin get along so well. They both eat more than the horses.

                “Thath not twue Gwamma!” Tansy protested indignantly, even as she brought her dishes to the sink and carefully set them in the water.

                “It’s true enough Sweet. Why don’t you go brush your teeth and get dressed, then we’ll try and do something with your hair.”

                “Okay Gwamma. Bye Bye Kunthu. I thee you later.”

                Kyungsoo was given another hug before Tansy ran off to obey her grandmother, and he gathered up his things to head for his original destination, only to be swept up in yet another hug, this time by Missus Holland.

                “I meant what I said Kyungsoo. You’re part of the family, and you’re always welcome”

                “Thank you Missus Holland” Kyungsoo managed to say, before awkwardly returning the hug and bowing to her and Boss, who was finishing his breakfast but still nodding in agreement at his wife’s words. He left with even more think about than he had before. He’d only meant to make a home with Jongin and hoped he would be at least tolerated by the people his husband worked for and with. Instead, he had apparently be instantly adopted into the fold and he wasn’t sure how he felt. Not bad, just kind of confused and not sure what to do in return.

                When Kyungsoo finally made it to the dining hall, Cook was just as enthusiastic to see him, even as the old man continued to clean tables. Setting his coat aside, the Korean grabbed a busboy tub and pitched in, asking if it was always that messy after breakfast when it had seemed so organized at dinner the night before.

                “The boys aren’t in a hurry after supper the way they are at breakfast since they’re already done with their work, at least most of them most of the time. It’s the quiet season now, but it’ll be messier as the weather warms and the foals and predators come out. I’d rather they help out at night since by then I’m pretty tired too. I didn’t see your husband this morning, and I’m surprised you’re up this early.”

                “Jongin’s alarm is obnoxiously loud, so I made him breakfast. I didn’t want to stay by myself so I was going to come see if you needed help earlier, but I ran into Tansy first and ended up making her and the Hollands pancakes before I came here. I’m sorry for getting distracted, but I didn’t like the idea of a little girl having to wait to eat.”

                “Don’t apologize. Your heart was definitely in the right place, and I appreciate the help cleaning up. By all means, it’s more important to make sure everyone is fed. What’d you make for your husband, just out of curiosity?”

                “Veggie Omurice, Kyungsoo style. It’s basically a veggie and rice stuffed omelet, but I like to blend cheese in with the eggs and milk before I fry them. I made Jongin’s big enough for three people, and he was still done before me and was washing dishes.”

                Cook chuckled. “Sounds about right. I have yet to see anything that boy won’t eat, except my oatmeal. Guess he’s like Tans and don’t like it plain.”

                “Well I love oatmeal so I’ll just have to come up with some kind he’ll eat when I’m in the mood to make it.”

                Tables finally cleared, the two fell into a companionable discussion of breakfast foods as they scraped dishes into the pig bucket, tossed napkins in the burn garbage, and rinsed dishes and coffee cups and silverware before loading the industrial sized dishwasher and going to wipe down the tables and counters and settled with coffee for a little while before it was time to start lunch.

                “Most of them are out in the fields, so there will be runners picking up hampers and delivering them to the different groups. I guess a lot of fences are in desperate need of repair before the herds get released, especially where they’re still using barbed wire. It’s being phased out, mostly because of your husband’s dumb as a brick mare, but it poses a danger to the younger horses too who haven’t learned their limits yet. Actually, from what I heard the barbed wire will be an outer layer to help deter predators, while the new inside layer fences are in theory going to be sturdier and safer for the horses themselves.”

                “Sounds like everyone will be busy for a while. So, what’s on the lunch menu?”

                “I’m afraid so. I’m not sure if anyone thought to tell you, but you probably won’t be seeing your husband much during the day for a while, at least til fencing is done. On top of that, he’s still breaking the two-year-olds. Hopefully you’ll have plenty of time to work on your own things, like your business you were tell me about, and you should still have evenings and his day off to be together. As for lunch, stacked sandwiches and cut up fruit, and heaven forbid I forget the damn coffee. I swear, they’re all caffeine addicts.”

                “Jongin told me a bit, and I know he’s working. I wasn’t expecting it to be like it was in Vegas. I just couldn’t stand not being near my husband, especially after I figured out I was in love with him. Yes, it’s really soon, but it’s also real, and he said he loves me too. I spent two years with a man I knew I didn’t love and definitely didn’t love me. I know the difference.”

                Cook smiled and patted Kyungsoo’s hand. “I don’t doubt that boy loves you with everything he has. I saw how he was watching you when he first came in last night, and how he looked at you when he finally reached you. I always hoped he’d find a nice young man, especially after he told me about that Taemin character. It was a surprise when we heard he was married, and even more so that he snuck off without telling you even though it was kind of understandable why. I’m just grateful you feel the same way about him and didn’t mind moving out here when it’s got to be a completely different environment for you.”

                “The biggest surprise is how accepting everyone seems to be. My own family rejected me when I said I was gay and shipped me off to New York City, when they knew I hated cities. They hoped the environment would be enough to scare me straight or something, I guess. Instead I met my best friend Baekhyun, and dated a few guys at our boarding school. University was a bit different. I was far too busy multi-majoring to date. I have a business degree to shut my parents up, but I really wanted to study cooking and agriculture. I guess they’re still hoping I’ll be straight and go back to Korea and marry a nice girl from a good family and take over the textile business once my father retires, and father babies and be an pillar of society with my pretty, well-educated wife on my arm to make up for my own looks. Even when I was with Suho, they treated the whole thing like some type of rebellion or phase, and they knew he was only using me to get into Do Textiles. Now I have a handsome husband who even if he wasn’t a man would be the exact opposite of everything they wanted in an in-law. Maybe they’ll finally disown me properly and I can live happily with Jongin as we make our own life together.”

                “Who is Suho?”

                “Junmyeon Kim, my ex-fiancé. He works at the same company my best friend does, and where I did part-time for extra money when things were slow at the restaurant. Good-looking in a plastic sort of way I suppose, but personality of a wet mop and very particular about everything. By then I figured I couldn’t do better, or maybe just didn’t care, but I still broke off the wedding after Baek told me he overheard Suho talking about sleeping with one of the interns. He always laid there and had me do all the work. I don’t know how the kid stood that, unless he was only that way with me.”

                “His loss. Well come on, those sandwiches aren’t going to make themselves.”

                Kyungsoo and Cook spent the next couple of hours making huge sandwiches, cutting up oranges and separating bunches of bananas, and companionably chattering about food rather than Kyungsoo’s history, for which he was grateful. He managed not to blush when he thought of how much and what he’d said, but he was surprised at himself. Usually it was only Jongin he talked that much to or about such things. Even Baek didn’t know some of it. Cook had genuinely seemed interested though, and he already knew he liked and respected the bent-over old man who managed to feed up to seventy-eight people by himself. There was a lot he hoped to learn from him.

                Eventually all the food was ready and packed in hampers ready to be picked up and they’d eaten their own sandwiches and bananas. Cook shooed Kyungsoo off then, thanking him for his help.

                “I’m making stew for supper tonight, and all the meat and veggies are pre-prepared from last time and are thawed from being frozen so I don’t have much to do really. I’m sure you have plenty of your own things you can be doing, but I appreciate all your help as well as your company. It’s not every day I get a chance to talk to someone who knows more about food than how to eat it.”

                “I feel the same way. I’m willing to help anytime you’d like, but speaking of stews that was what I was planning on making. The chest freezer in the cabin is full of rabbits and deer meat thanks to everyone’s generosity, so I pulled out a large rabbit and he should be thawed by now. I found a wild-game cookbook when I was out thrift-shopping one time and now I’ll finally get to try some of the recipes.”

                Cook smiled. “Have fun experimenting, and let me know how it turned out. I usually bake the buggers myself, stuffed like chickens, but they’re good stewed as well.”

                Kyungsoo smiled and waved before collecting his coat and lantern and bundling up before heading back to the cabin to fold the clothes and start the other load and dig out everything for his first try at rabbit stew and dumplings.

                With dinner slowly cooking on the back of the stove and the other load of clothes in the dryer, Kyungsoo put his coat back on and went to investigate outside now that it was light. He could just barely see where the garden area Missus Holland told him about was, a large, slight depression completely overgrown with now dead grass and weeds. It was a mess, but a few days with a rake and shovel once the weather warmed up a bit and it should be cleaned up and ready to go with the addition of some fertilizer and a good stirring up to loosen it enough to plant. On his shopping trip with Tansy and Missus Holland, the older woman was quite happy to help him pick out gardening tools, which now resided in the formerly empty lean-to, along with his new pairs of work gloves, a multitude of seed packets, the fertilizer he’d just been thinking about, and his favorite find, a broad-brimmed gardening hat in the most ridiculously extraordinary shade of blue. He hated squinting in the sun, and his new hat seemed guaranteed to keep that from happening. There was also a pile of stakes and chicken wire, both to put around the tomato cages he’d also purchased, but also to make a fence in order to hopefully keep the rabbits and smaller creatures out. He’d been told the deer usually wouldn’t venture so close to a house, and he was hoping that was right since he wasn’t interested in feeding any of the wildlife. Well, maybe the birds if he found a bird feeder he liked and put it up. He was also looking forward to being able to put up a clothesline, since he actually hated using a dryer and had been stuck doing so in New York since he and Baek really hadn’t had the room to even have a clothes rack in either their dorm rooms or the apartment they shared.

                Kyungsoo made a few more mental notes about what he’d like to do on the outside of the cabin, to discuss with Jongin when the time came, then headed inside to warm up, check the stew which was smelling delicious and sending his stomach growling despite everything he’d already eaten that day. So, unlike usual, he dug out a bag of one of the snacks one of Jongin’s roommates donated when they found out he was moving to the cabin with Kyungsoo. He poured some into a bowl, put the bag back, and went to curl up on the couch to munch and check his phone which he’d neglected all day.

                Most of his e-mail was instantly deleted, ads for products or services he had no interest in. There was a couple from a mailing list for cooks he saved to read later, and went to his text messages instead. Minseok and Sehun had both texted him asking where he was and if he was okay. He sent quick replied, saying he’d made it to Nevada safely and was doing well in his new home so far. Suho had the balls to ask when he was going to stop being a brat and take his rightful place at his side. This was answered with a quick “ you” and blocking his ex which he’d actually thought he’d already done. Baek sent a long, rambling text saying he was sorry for not being more supportive, but he missed him like crazy and could he please just let him know he wasn’t murdered or worse by rednecks and if the cowboy was treating him well.

                Kyungsoo smiled as he replied, telling Baek he understood why he’d flipped out and there was nothing to forgive, that he and Jongin had a nice, snug cabin thanks to the generosity of the Hollands, and everything he’d done since he’d arrived, minus his and his husband’s “private reunion” the night before, but that they’d both admitted they loved each other.

                “I’m happy for you, really.” Baek quickly texted back. “It’s just going to take some time to get used to. You’ve just, I don’t know always been there, quiet or SatanSoo. Even when you were engaged to Suho, who I actually know, it didn’t seem real even though I knew it was. Now you’re across the country and married to a cowboy and won’t be there all the time.”

                Kyungsoo replied. “I’ll always be a text away. Even if I’m busy, you know I’ll always answer when I can. Besides, I’ll be back for visits since Jongin has Japanese businessmen to schmooze since the Hollands could really use more investors and they’ve been working on this bunch for over a year from what Jongin’s told me, and who knows? Maybe I’ll convince you to come visit me one day.”

               

                “Me, out in cow country? No thank you. I’ll stay in civilization.”

                “It’s a horse ranch, not cows. It’s also absolutely gorgeous even now when it’s all brown and dead and cold. I can’t wait to see this place when it’s all green and alive.”

                “I always knew you were crazy. Just don’t get eaten by anything, okay? I don’t want to have to get mud on my shoes tracking down your cowboy, only to end up in some Podunk jail cell.”

                Kyungsoo rolled his eyes before answering. He was used to Baek being a drama queen, but since when was he so prissy about everything let alone willing to threaten murder?

                “Jongin’s already warned me about predators, and has a rifle just in case. It’s hanging above the door so I don’t have to worry about the thing going off. I’ve also heard about this bear spray stuff, that’s like pepper spray but strong enough to temporarily stop a bear, I think I’ll look for next time I’m in the bigger town where everyone shops for anything in the local general store doesn’t carry. The town itself is tiny, not even a post office. There’s the general store, a vet’s office, several empty stores, and Happy Virus, the bar Jongin’s best friend Chanyeol owns. Population less than six hundred, seventy-five of which work at the ranch. The rest are either small farmers, work at the few businesses, or are retired. Not many young people, most are well over forty. Jongin, Chanyeol, and I are the only Asians. I guess there’s one black couple who doesn’t come into town much. Everyone else is pretty much split between white and Hispanic. I’m really going to have to work on my Spanish now.

                The only child I’ve met so far is the Hollands’ granddaughter Tansy. It was her parents that were killed and the reason Jongin left how he did. She’s four, has a rather distinct speech impediment, and is just about the cutest thing I’ve ever seen, next to my husband of course. She’s even more talkative than you are, and eats almost as much as Jongin does, but is so high energy she burns it all right back off from what I’ve seen.”

                “You seem quite taken with the little girl, which isn’t like you. You’ve always been anti-people. So, when are you and the cowboy going to have kids then? I’m aware you won’t be able to make them the traditional way, but there’s always adoption or even surrogacy.”

                “It’s been three weeks and we just moved into a small cabin with no extra room. It’s a bit early to think about children don’t you think? I don’t even know if Jongin wants kids, and I’m certainly not sold on the idea. I like Tansy a lot, but that doesn’t mean I want my own. We’re young and just married. There’s plenty of time to think about them. I am hoping to get a dog soon if the Hollands don’t mind. Jongin loves dogs, and I’m thinking about raising goats as one option for my meal business so I’d need a working dog to help herd.”

                “Goats? Why goats? You don’t know anything about them.”

                “Maybe not, but I can learn. Meat is probably the most popular food around here, mostly wild game and the pigs and chickens people raise, or beef from further south, but talking to Jongin’s old dormmates they ate a lot of goat back home. Knowing how it feels to miss the cooking you grew up with I’d like to try to give them at least a taste. There are a couple of old sheds that aren’t used the Hollands said I could if I did decide to raise them. I had thought about rabbits since they’re good and reproduce quickly, but there are so many jackrabbits and cottontails I was told not to bother. In season, I’ll have all the rabbit meat I could ever want. Even now the little chest freezer in the cabin is full, mostly with rabbit and deer thanks to everyone on the ranch being so generous. Jongin’s a favorite among everyone, and from what Cook has said, they were all so happy for him when they heard he’d gotten married and the Hollands told everyone I was coming to live here. Somehow even Tansy managed not to say anything to him.”

                Baek didn’t text back right away then, so Kyungsoo took the opportunity to check on the rabbit stew, which was bubbling slowly and smelling better and better, thick as it was with carrots, onions, mushrooms, and garlic. He glanced at the clock over by the bed and wondered when Jongin would be arriving so he could mix and add the dumplings. His phone dinged and he went back to his text conversation, which was now about Baek’s upcoming date with one of the new ladies at work. Kyungsoo had actually heard of her reputation at her last job through the work grapevine, though Baek obviously hadn’t. She was known as a real ballbuster, and he was surprised she agreed to dinner with the company flake and would be playboy. It wasn’t that Baek didn’t work, he just preferred to socialize yet seemed to never learn how exactly the ladies he chased after wanted to be and deserved to be treated. The only times he ever even got laid was when he was at the bar at last call and some drunk, desperate bimbo decided he was the best of a bad lot, only to leave as soon as she woke up and realized what she’d done. Maybe the new one would turn out to be exactly what he needed, someone with a firm hand who wouldn’t put up with shenanigans.

                Baekhyun had just said he had to go to bed early for another ridiculously early work meeting and Kyungsoo lay back on the couch to rest his eyes, when the door to the cabin opened and a cheerful “Honey, I’m home! Damn Soo, what smells so good in here?” caused him to pop back up and run into Jongin’s waiting arms.

                “Hey Soo, were you able to keep yourself entertained today? Tansy told me you made her “the betheth pancaketh thee’d ever had,” and the Hollands agreed when I saw them briefly to get tomorrow’s work assignments for everyone. More fencing, which I expected. It never hurts to doublecheck though.”

                Still snuggled in Jongin’s arms, Kyungsoo gave him a condensed version of everything he’d done throughout the day or wanted to talk about, save for Baek’s question about children. That could wait until they brought it up themselves naturally, or they found themselves in a better spot to consider them. He just wanted to enjoy being married for a while as they built their life together and he adjusted to the new environment, which in some ways already felt more like home than New York ever did.

                “And it’s rabbit stew you’re smelling. Why don’t you wash up and sit down while I add in the dumplings, then maybe we’ll shower together afterwards. I’ll even give you a massage if you want.”

                “You do know the way to at least this man’s heart” Jongin smiled and gave Kyungsoo a long, lingering kiss before pulling away to hang up his hat and jacket and set his boots underneath. He pulled his thermos out of his jacket pocket and handed it to the short man before padding off to the bathroom.

                Kyungsoo set the thermos in the sink to be washed, then quickly mixed up the herbed dumplings and added them to the stew before rinsing out the bowl and washing his hands to take the laundry he’d forgotten out of the dryer to quickly fold and put away.

                “You’re not an owl or a penguin after all Soo. You’re a busy bee, or maybe an industrious beaver. Now come here. I missed you and need husband cuddles,” Jongin stepped out of the bathroom and went to sit in one of the squashy chairs, patting his lap invitingly. Kyungsoo hastily shoved his armload into his drawer and eagerly went to snuggle against his husband.

                “I missed you too Baby” Kyungsoo admitted softly, head against Jongin’s chest. “I tried to keep busy, partly to stay awake, partly so I wouldn’t swell on it. And, there is a lot to do and think about. I’ll have to get directions or find a guide to town. Missus Holland drove when I went with her and Tansy since I didn’t have a place for a booster seat in the truck, and I don’t think I remember the way. I certainly don’t know where all the stores or places I’ll need to go are. You know, change my address, get a new driver’s license and get the truck registered, find out who I need to talk to and what to do if I want to start a business. I also want some seedlings once I get the garden dug out, not just seeds in case the birds or squirrels get to them. I’ll sprout some here, but there isn’t room enough for everything, even if I use the sheds the Hollands said I could have. That’s another thing, learning how and where to import goats from. Plus, I want to be of some use around here. I can’t break horses or fix fences, but I can at least help Cook while I’m learning from him.”

                “You do sound like you’ll manage to keep yourself busy. If you can wait until the beginning of the week, I’ll have a day off then and I can be your personal tour guide. We’ll probably have a list of things to do and get. I want to help around our house too, not let you do everything. I might not be much help, but I want to do what I can.”

                Kyungsoo debated arguing since Jongin already put in long hours working, but he recognized a stubborn streak hidden in his husband’s words, so just nodded and enjoyed the cowboy’s warmth until it was time to dish up their dinner. He was wearing a thick sweater and his thermal underwear and the woodstove kept the cabin surprisingly warm, but his “personal heater” was still his favorite way keep from freezing.

                Dinner was finished fairly quickly. The early start and long day coupled with his husband’s presence and Kyungsoo wondered if he’d even make it through a shower and massage when he could barely manage to eat his human portion of stew as he watched Jongin plow through the rest. At least leftovers probably won’t be a problem the short man thought sleepily as he watched the cowboy jump up and start dishes. He wasn’t crazy over the idea of a “pig bucket,” though he had started one while he was scraping carrots and chopping onions and deboning the rabbit. He’d left it covered in the lean to though, since he didn’t relish the smell of food waste in the cabin itself.

                “I think I’ll forego that massage tonight Soo. Now that you’ve quit moving and have eaten you look about dead on your feet. Come on, let’s go shower and go to bed. I’m getting pretty tired myself” Jongin said as he rinsed out the dishrag after washing everything and wiping the table, stove, and counter.

                Somehow Kyungsoo, with Jongin’s help managed to get through a shower without falling over and checking his head open. He did wake up a bit while they were scrubbing each other, even sharing a few kisses, but as soon as they were rinsed off and dried, he practically had to be carried to bed and tucked in. Jongin must have gone to get their dirty clothes off the floor and turn off lights and make sure the door was locked because to look him a couple minutes to climb in next to the short man, who immediately threw an arm across his husband’s chest as soon as he felt the cowboy next to him.

                “I love you my y cowboy Jongin” Kyungsoo managed to murmur sleepily, only to feel another peck on his head.

                “I love you too my sweet husband Soo.”