Chapter 16

What Happens in Vegas Doesn't Stay There

Hello my little kittens! Thank you for waiting patiently. I've been trying to finish this chapter for a week now, but it's finally done!

                “Finally, we’re home! Wait here Soo while I get a chair so you don’t tip over taking your boots off” Jongin yanked off his boots, put on his slippers, pecked his husband’s nose and went to grab one of the kitchen chairs so the short man could sit down. Kyungsoo hadn’t said anything, but the cowboy could tell his husband was beyond exhausted. It had been one helluva day, getting discharged so suddenly, then dealing with Taemin’s bull, helping him pack up and check out of his hotel room, giving a statement at the police station, then the two hour drive home dealing with a whiny, tired, hungry Tansy, who still wasn’t happy even getting a fast food kids’ meal when Yeol pulled into a drive-thru for what passed for dinner, cheeseburgers and fries for Yeol and Baekhyun, two of the largest boxes of nuggets they had for the cowboy, and a grilled-chicken salad for Kyungsoo since he said he didn’t think his stomach could handle anything fried yet after the hospital. Anyway, Tansy had missed her nap due to everything, and couldn’t sleep in her booster seat in the van. The cowboy had never been more relieved than when Yeol finally pulled into Holland Ranch and they were able to turn the little girl over to her grandmother. He loved Tansy dearly, but was grateful she didn’t get that crabby or whiny often. He also secretly hoped his crazy stalker was wrong about his visa. It would make him so happy to hear Taemin had been deported. Unfortunately, they’d applied at the same time so he knew too well when the date was. He’d actually been thinking it was high time to reapply, fairly certain it wouldn’t be a problem since he already had steady work and established residency, only to have Baekhyun point out during his, well whatever it was at Taemin that he was married to a US citizen and would qualify in a few months to apply for citizenship himself. He’d never thought about it before, always assuming he’d go back to Korea at some point, for his army duty if nothing else. Now he wouldn’t have to. He felt a little guilty for ditching what he’d always felt was his duty as a good Korean man, but it wasn’t like he’d abandon Kyungsoo for two years, nor would the short man enlist with him, since he obviously wouldn’t go back with the way his family had treated him.

                “It’s nice being home. I’d have thought it would’ve smelled all musty in here after being gone for so long, but it’s like someone just cleaned after they lit the woodstove. I was so afraid we were going to freeze until you got that thing going.” It was very unlike Kyungsoo to just slump in a chair like a puddle, but that’s exactly what he was doing, rather than batting Jongin away from kneeling down and pulling his boots off like he usually would.

                “Missus Holland is responsible for that. She sent me a long explanation while we were at the police station, but Tansy was fussing by then so I didn’t say anything since she would’ve started whining about wanting her grandmother. Thank goodness she doesn’t get like that often. Anyway, Missus Holland kept the woodstove going all the time we were gone so nothing would freeze, and made sure everything was clean and aired out. She and Cook also cleaned the perishables out of the fridge, and restocked when they heard we were finally going to be coming home. No doubt they also left us goodies, or a few heat and eat meals so you won’t have to strain yourself so much til you feel stronger. She also told me to tell you that Cook refuses to let you into his kitchen until you’re completely fine. He doesn’t want his apprentice overdoing it and falling face-first into the chili. If you feel up to it, in a couple days you may start coming for meals and he’ll have your welcome home dinner then. If you need him to, just text and he’ll send somebody up here with food.”

                “I hope that won’t be necessary, but the way I feel right now I may take him up on that. I miss cooking, but right now I feel like a day-old kitten. I never thought that hill would be such a challenge. I’ll have to start with little walks, just around the house or yard and build up from there. I was hoping that since it’s starting to warm up I could think about digging out that garden, but it’s just going to have to wait.”

                “It’s a bit early anyway, so waiting two or three weeks is probably for the best before you start digging and fertilizing and stuff. Maybe while you’re off your feet you can start working on what you want to look for in a building. There are a lot of failed businesses in and around town if you were thinking of setting up shop there, or land if you wanted to build something to your specifications. I’d also check out all the other towns if you wanted to be closer to some type of civilization. I have no idea what kind of operation you’re wanting to do or where you want to do it in. You were also talking about goats. There’s a couple breeders that aren’t too far from here, or you can always import. Then you know you need permits and licenses, and all that other fun stuff.”

                “True. That might not actually be that bad of an idea. When are you going back to work?”

                Jongin sighed and stood up, giving his hand to Kyungsoo to help him up as well. “I’ll have to go tomorrow, but not until after the nurse gets here. I’m glad I haven’t done anything with my savings yet. My paychecks have taken a hit even with using my saved-up vacation and sick days, and I’ll be on short hours until you’re cleared to go back to normal.”

                Kyungsoo’s face looked troubled, and Jongin hastily pulled him into his arms, wishing he’d been able to say things more gently. He hadn’t wanted to upset his husband in the hospital, but he wasn’t going to hide things from him either. They were partners, and as transparent as the short man had been shortly after moving to Nevada about exactly how wealthy he was but his initial plans for most of his money, the cowboy was only going to do the same. He was so grateful everyone at Holland Ranch had excellent health insurance (necessary due to the inherent dangers of working with horses, especially breaking them or bronco busting) and extended the coverage to include spouses and families as well. Outside the deductible and a couple of tests it didn’t cover fully, they wouldn’t owe anything for Kyungsoo’s stay, and they were going to sue the woman who had caused the short man’s injuries, but only for the cost of the hospital bills since they didn’t want to completely bankrupt her family, especially since there were children. One of Holland Ranch’s lawyers was already working on it, but it would no doubt take a while.

                “It’s not like we, or Peaches and Cream are going to starve. Even if we do have to dip into my savings for some reason, it only means I delay setting up my studio for a while, if I even do it at all. Seeing Taemin twisted my gut enough I’m not sure I still want to teach dance, even though that’s what I went to school for. I love working with the horses and performing at rodeos just as much. I can’t wait to show off for you this summer, and also show you how we have fun out here in the middle of nowhere.”

                Kyungsoo pulled away, just enough to look up into Jongin’s face while still clutching his shirt. “I’m looking forward to it. But for now, I want a snack and bed.”

                Jongin grinned. “Sure thing Mister Kim.”

                Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and weakly swatted the cowboy’s chest. “Food and sleep. I knew that would get your attention Mister Do. Are you really sure you’re okay with maybe dipping into your savings? We can always use some of mine. I can hold off just as well as you can.”

                “I know you can Sweetheart, and it may not even be an issue. How about we worry and/or argue about it if it ever comes to that. What sort of snack did you want?”

                “I’m going to hold you to that, and let’s look in the fridge.”

 

                After mugs of warmed milk and thick slices of buttered zucchini bread, the couple washed up, Jongin set his obnoxiously loud alarm so he could run to the house to pick up breakfast and they’d both have the time they needed to get ready for the nurse, and the pair went to bed. Kyungsoo pouted that his head hurt when he tried to use the cowboy for a pillow, only to not be able to breathe well when Jongin tried lying on his chest instead. They finally managed to work out still being able to touch each other like they always did when they slept, with the cowboy curling protectively around his husband, one arm under the pillows and the other gently lying across his stomach. Kyungsoo was soon asleep thanks to his pain med and being worn out after just getting released, while Jongin lay awake for a little while, grateful to have his beautiful husband back in their home and in his arms.

 

 

                The next morning, Jongin actually woke before his alarm and turned it off so it wouldn’t wake Kyungsoo, then carefully slid out of bed to get dressed. He left a note under his husband’s glasses where he’d be sure to find it, letting him know he was going up to the house to bring breakfast back. He pulled on his jacket and slipped into his boots, and hat in hand he tiptoed out of the cabin.

                Jongin had only taken a few steps when a Korean in shiny shoes and expensive suit slunk out of the mid-morning mist that happened that time of year.

                “What the hell are you doing here?” Jongin asked Suho in irritation. “If you’ve come to pester Kyungsoo, he’s still asleep and doesn’t want to see you. Why didn’t you go back to New York with your intern where you belong?”

                “Actually, I came to talk to you Mister Kim. They were so helpful at the main house when I asked where you were. You and I both know you’re only persisting with this ridiculous sham in order to get to the fatty’s money. I’m far richer than he is, and need him in order to get my foot into Do Textiles. I’ve actually managed to negotiate with the Dos, and in a way I no longer have to marry the little fatty. I get him back to Korea, and his parents have found someone who needs to marry off his dyke of a daughter since he has no other children. He’s half owner of a company they really want, and he agreed to sign over two-thirds of his shares once they two marry and produce children. There’s enough money that they can just do IVF. That way, they can choose which fertilize the eggs so they’re guaranteed grandsons as heirs for both families. They’ll then be shipped off somewhere they can’t be an embarrassment. The fatty speaks French, so possibly somewhere in Africa. So, here’s my proposition: I’ll give you twice the money you stand to get from the fatty, and you annul whatever you have to, quietly so it doesn’t reflect on his family. I’ll take him off your hands, and you’ll be free to work here or open your dance studio back in California. Oh, don’t look so shocked. Of course I did my research on you after I was so rudely escorted out. You’ll be able to be with your long-term lover as well, Taemin isn’t it? Handsome man. You have excellent taste, which is why I know you don’t really want the fatty.”

                Jongin felt sick. Give up Kyungsoo just for money? Be partially responsible for ruining not only his husband’s life, but an unknown young lady’s as well? Be anywhere near Taemin? The cowboy had to fight with his own stomach before he could even think of answering, though vomiting all over the in front of him was rather tempting. He continued to fight with his nausea while Suho stood there smirking as though he’d already been told exactly what he wanted to hear, only to startle when he heard the click of his twenty-two rifle being taken off of safety.

                “I thought I smelled a skunk” Kyungsoo stood a few feet away, his black silk pajama pants and untied lined work boots sticking out from under his puffy coat, his head still in its neat swath of bandages, calmly holding the rifle against his shoulder. It was pointed directly at Suho’s crotch, and the short man’s finger was already on the trigger.

                “That’s quite a plan you and my so-called parents have cooked up. There are just a few things wrong with it. One, Jongin and I are legally married, in every sense of the word. It wouldn’t be an annulment but a divorce, and since we quite like being married to each other I don’t think that’s going to happen. Two, I renounced my Korean citizenship when I applied for my American, since Korea doesn’t do dual citizenship. I can visit there, but I get none of the benefits. Any children I might have would be American citizens as well. Three- I wouldn’t be able to participate in this crazy idea in the first place. I had a fertility count when I had a complete health screening a couple of years ago, and I’m totally sterile. No viable swimmers at all.”

                “And four, I love Kyungsoo more than life itself. I don’t care he has money. I want him for himself, my cute, squishy, y, beautiful husband.”

                “And finally five, I love my handsome y cowboy with the enormous appetite and bigger heart just as much. So why don’t you run off back to New York and tell those “parents” of mine where to go and how to get there, or I’ll see if I can shoot off Stubby. I have a head injury and I just work up, so not sure I can hit that small a target, not to mention everything I know about guns I learned from YouTube when I was in the hospital the last few days after my coma, so not positive, but I need the practice since I’m a country boy now.”

                Jongin bit his lip to keep from laughing as he walked over to stand next to his husband so he wouldn’t catch Suho’s cooties. He was positive he was having some kind of dream or hallucination. There was no way Kyungsoo was really standing there in his coat and pajamas, holding the cowboy’s gun as though he’d been doing it for years, while managing to insult his ex’s “pride and joy.” Then again, his husband did manage to get a good solid kick to Taemin’s groin yesterday, so it might be possible.

                They were still in a stand-off, Kyungsoo and Suho still trading “tiny and tub of lard” type insults at each other, when Jongin picked up the sound of two sets of hoofbeats. There was nothing unusual about the Hollands or the ranch hands riding rather than walking, especially when there were horses that needed to burn off energy after being in a stall too long or before a beginners’ class, or still had energy after a set of riding lessons. One didn’t really sound like a Holland horse though, being far heavier. There weren’t many of those around, since most people the ranch catered to preferred a lighter gait. His suspicions were confirmed, when one of his former dorm mates appeared on Stevie, a placid blonde mare well-known for being a good choice for nervous first-time riders, and the local sheriff on his own mare, a heavy-hoofed, solid black mass of horse named P.C., short for Patrol Car since it was usually easier to ride, rather than risk tearing up his battered old cruiser on the back roads.

                “What seems to be the trouble here boys?” The sheriff asked mildly, sliding off of P.C. and dusting off his uniform. It was easy to tell he’d once been a tall, solid tree of a man, built rather like his horse, but now he looked as though he should be sprawled in his recliner with a beer in his hand, watching football and munching potato chips. He was still the representative of the law for their patch of nowhere however, even if he usually only had to deal with the occasional drunk or speeder, once in a while minor vandalism or someone not watching it or not putting out their bonfire or burn barrel properly and risking a bigger blaze, or once or twice drugs. No one much cared about a bit of recreational weed if it was kept to the person’s home and they weren’t trying to grow a forest of it or something, but anything beyond that was absolutely not tolerated.

                “I’m sorry Sheriff, but this man” Jongin gestured to Suho, who didn’t even have the brains to wipe the smirk off his face, probably thinking the older country sheriff on his horsy didn’t need to be taken seriously, “tried to bribe me to give up my husband, and has some stupid but pretty gross plans for him. Or rather, Kyungsoo’s parents do. He just plans on helping them along.”

                “That why your man pointing your peashooter at the city slicker’s family jewels Jongin? Okay Kyungsoo, you can put the gun down. I don’t think he’s going to get a chance to try kidnapping you. Why don’t we go up to your cabin out of the wind and you two tell me all about it?”

                Jongin held his breath as Kyungsoo made sure the twenty-two wasn’t pointed at anyone before putting the safety on. Relieved that YouTube seemed to at least have taught him that much, he then wondered what the sheriff planned on doing with Suho while they talked, since he doubted his husband wanted the ex inside their home.

                “Okay City Slicker, turn around. I’ve got a nice set of bracelets just for you” the sheriff said, pulling out his handcuffs.

                “I will not! I’ve done nothing wrong!” Suho shouted indignantly, stomping his foot like the one time Tansy got asked if she’d been stealing cookies. She hadn’t, it had been her father, who Missus Holland hadn’t realized had come back from town early and couldn’t wait for supper.

                “You threatened our newest resident, who is already recovering from an injury judging by his head. Jongin don’t lie, so if he says you threatened his man, it happened. Now turn around, or my deputy here” the sheriff jerked a thumb at the cowboy’s old dorm mate, who’d been waiting quietly by Stevie but now grinned and cracked his knuckles, “will make you. We may be country, but we ain’t stupid, nor are we weak.”

                Reluctantly, Suho turned around and put his hands behind his back while the sheriff snapped on the cuffs and tied a length of rope around his wrists as well and handed it to his “deputy.”

                “I’m gonna talk to these folks, get their statements and everything, so if you need to get back to work you can leave him in a stall or Cook’s freezer or something.

                “Nah, I’ll tether him to the porch so whoever’s around can keep an eye on him” Jongin’s old dorm mate said in Spanish, which made Suho look confused.

                “He only understands Korean and English” Kyungsoo said slowly and carefully in Spanish. “So have fun screwing with him.”

                The others chuckled, while the “deputy” remounted Stevie and gave a tug on the rope, which made Suho stumble, but he seemed to get the point and started trudging alongside the horse and rider back down the hill.

                “See you later Sheriff, Kyungsoo, Roadblock!” The “deputy” waved before turning his full attention back to his prisoner, tugging the rope to get him to slightly pick up the pace.

                Jongin gently took his rifle out of Kyungsoo’s hands and slung it over his own shoulder before tucking his husband under his arm. “Shall we?”

                Once the three men were inside the cabin and unbundled, Kyungsoo wrapped himself in his thick bathrobe then asked if the others wanted coffee.

                “I’m sorry I can’t offer you breakfast Sheriff, but I’m not really supposed to be on my feet. Junmyeon’s a chicken so I thought Jongin’s rifle would scare him off. He’s been a thorn in my side for years.”

                “Sit down Soo before you keel over. I’ll get the coffee” Jongin fussed, gently pushing his husband toward the living room area. Kyungsoo obeyed, grabbing the throw blanket to wrap up in before curling up in one of the chairs.

                “So, who is that guy anyway?” the sheriff asked, settling into the other chair. “Oh thank you Jongin” he said, accepting one of their plain blue mugs and taking a long sip. “Still drinking paint stripper disguised as coffee. Good man.” He turned back to Kyungsoo, who looked confused. “Most of the men around here drink their coffee thick enough to chew. Sometimes we get into contests to see who can be the most creative in describing it. I’m a bit out of practice though. Doctor says I don’t have to stop completely, but I need to start slowing down. It’s cold out there though, so I’ll slow down when it warms up. Now, please tell me exactly what’s going on.” He set his mug aside and pulled out his notepad and stubby pencil he always sharpened with his pocketknife, saying tablets didn’t make much sense when he was usually on P.C. He didn’t want the thing to break. He did have a laptop in his cruiser, and at his home which doubled as the sheriff’s office so he could still send in his reports when necessary.

                Not really thinking, Jongin made Kyungsoo’s tea in his usual “Kiss the Cook” mug, and he’d been using his own, now with the word cowboy crossed out and Chef scrawled underneath in black Sharpie so it really did say, “Save a Horse, Ride a Chef.” He brought his husband his tea, then grabbed one of the kitchen chairs and straddled it in case he needed to add anything, but content just to sip his coffee and listen to the love of his life explain who and what Suho was, that his real name was Junmyeon Kim, slowly spelling the romanization for the sheriff who nearly stuck his tongue out as he wrote. He then went on with a summary of their relationship, their broken engagement and why he’d called it off, only to have his ex track him down, first at the hospital, then at their home. The cowboy did have something to add then, what was said while Kyungsoo was still in his coma, and his best recollection of every filthy word of the conversation outside before his husband showed up like someone chasing off rustlers.

                “Well boys, I unfortunately can’t really do that much since it never got physical. I will however keep him as a guest, then stuff him in the back of my car and give him an back to Carson City and make sure he gets on a plane to New York. You think that Bacon friend of yours would be willing to him once he decides to go home?”

                “He wouldn’t want to, but Baek probably would if asked” Kyungsoo answered.

                “We’ll send Yeol with them to keep peace, while Sara Jo and Abuela mind the bar and we can babysit Double D. He’s always wanted to see the Big Apple, and since he and Baekhyun have been getting along so well according to Tans…” Jongin trailed off with a snicker.

                “That sounds like a plan. Let me know when you can get it set up, but there’s no rush. Doubt I’ll need the drunk cell for anyone for a while yet, so he’ll be nice and comfy.” The sheriff and the couple stood up and shook hands.

                “I’ll walk with you Sheriff. I was on my way to get breakfast when I was ambushed. I know P.C. doesn’t like walking down hills.”

                “Okay by me Jongin. See you around Kyungsoo”

                “Goodbye Sheriff, and thank you.”

 

 

                Jongin had just seen the sheriff off, Suho trudging along still tied, but now ing about inhumane treatment, to which the sheriff just asked if he’d rather be slung over P.C.’s rump like a sack of feed corn. He shut up quickly then. It wasn’t like it was that long a walk, then he’d be driven over to wherever he was staying to pick up his things and arrange for his rental car to be retrieved from the ranch. The “drunk cell” was really a spare bedroom. Sure, there were bars on the window and the door locked from outside to prevent escapes, but it had a comfortable bed and its own bathroom, complete with shower. It wasn’t like he was a real prisoner, more like in protective custody so someone could keep an eye on him. Since the sheriff’s wife passed away, the other housewives in town took it in turns to bring him meals, and had no problem making up an extra plate if he had a guest, whether a friend, one of his children/grandchildren, or he was babysitting a troublemaker. The cowboy doubted Suho would appreciate the home-cooked food however, and just shook his head as he headed for the dining hall.

                “Kai! KaiKaiKaiKaiKai!” Tansy pounced on the cowboy’s legs excitedly, back to her normal cheerful self after a good night’s sleep. “Didja thee the bad man Mither Theriff had? He wath tied to the porch like Elfie’th doggie when heth bad! Where’th Kunthu? Ith he okay?”

                “Kyungsoo is fine, but he’s supposed to rest so his head can finish healing so I came to get some breakfast for us. I saw the bad man. He wanted to take Kyungsoo away, but we won’t let that happen, will we?”

                “No!” Tansy shouted. “Kunthu belongth here!”

                “That’s right Tans, he does. Well, I’d better get our food and head back, before his tummy starts growling like the first night he ate with us.”

                “Okay Kai!”

                Tansy ran off, and Jongin continued on his way, now wondering how the sheriff knew he was needed right then. He made a mental note to ask the next time he saw him, when Missus Holland waved him down.

                “What happened? I saw that friend of Kyungsoo’s tied to the porch, then he left with the sheriff.”

                “That was no friend Missus Holland. That was Kyungsoo’s ex, the one who cheated on him and indirectly the reason I met him in the first place. Sheriff’s going to watch him til he can be shipped back to New York.”

                Missus Holland’s hand flew to . “I am so sorry to you both. I had no idea! He was so polite when he asked where Kyungsoo was. Is he alright?”

                “He’s fine. He pointed my rifle at Suho’s goodies like he’d been handling one all his life, and we haven’t gotten a chance to have lessons yet. We’re just hungry now since we’re used to eating earlier.”

                “Oh, of course. Don’t let me keep you. I saw Cook packing a basket of things and tucking it in the warmer so they should still be hot.”

                “Oh good, thank you for letting me know. I’ll see you later Missus Holland” Jongin waved as he continued on, finally making it to the dining hall, where he was greeted with “about damn time! You taking good care of my apprentice? Letting him starve isn’t taking care of him.” Though, Cook rapidly cooled down and started fussing once he heard why the cowboy hadn’t come by earlier.

                “That boy can’t catch a break lately. Here. Make sure he eats plenty, and don’t worry about coming back for lunch or supper. I’ll send a runner, or bring them up myself early.” Cook handed Jongin one of his large picnic baskets they used during the End of Summer picnic in town to haul plates and napkins, or other things that didn’t need a cooler and weren’t one of his main dishes.

                “Thank you, so much. That would make it easier, and he could use the company for a little bit while I’m working, otherwise he just clams up. I’ve only got afternoons til he heals, but I’m still going to worry.”

                “Well don’t. You know everyone’ll help look after your man. He’s one of us, ain’t he?”

                Jongin smiled and nodded before heading back out. It had been said before, but he never got tired of everyone referring to Kyungsoo as “one of us.” He knew his husband liked it too, since he wasn’t used to such a thing, and still at times had a hard time believing it since it hadn’t been very long, and most of that he’d been in the hospital. He mulled on ways to make it more believable as he tromped back up the hill, only to be startled by not one, but two shaggy, mottle-colored half-grown puppies, one huge and the other a pocket-sized version now tied to their front porch, a doghouse next to it, and a well-bundled Kyungsoo sitting on the porch with another mug, and joined by Doc.

                “What on earth? Did I miss something?” Jongin asked, setting the basket on the porch and offering his bare hand for the dogs to sniff before gently tickling their floppy ears in turn, while wondering how he’d managed to miss Doc’s car in the visitor’s lot.

                “Remember? I had Doc looking for a coyote bait puppy for me, and I heard about these two. Meet Ollie, the big Australian Shepherd mix, and Alice, the mini version. Ollie is blue merle colored and Alice is red merle. He brought them by so I could meet them and pick, but they’re so attached to each other I said we’d take both. They need a lot of exercise and something to herd, or they’ll eat our socks and herd us. They’re working dogs, not just pet dogs, and they’re built study enough to sleep outside now, rather than us tripping over them all the time.”

                “What’s wrong with Ollie’s eye?” Now that he knew why they had dogs tied to their porch, Jongin was quite interested and had examined both tip to tail, only to note one of Ollie’s eyes was half blue and half brown.

                “Nothing. It’s a trait of the breed. A lot of Aussies have that half-and-half eye. It doesn’t affect their vision, just makes them more striking looking” Doc explained, standing up and stretching.

                “I’d love to chat with you boys all day, but I’ve got to head back out. Call if you have questions or need anything.”

                “We will! Thank you!”

 

                Wanting to get their dogs used to them as soon as possible, the couple finally had their breakfast, out on the porch. Cook had sent all sorts of goodies, from bacon and cheese omelets with sides of extra bacon, which for once Kyungsoo gobbled up rather than wrinkle his nose at the grease, to freshly made cheese Danish, and in a Thermos was a fresh fruit salad.

                “I was hungry enough to eat bacon, but bless Cook for sending something to cut the grease” Kyungsoo commented, once all the food was gone and the dogs were the plates clean of any hint of residue. The short man patted his stomach, then carefully stood up, eyes drooping. “Can you clean up? I was warm, but I’m starting to get chilly so I want to lie down til the nurse gets here.”

                “Go ahead Sweetheart. I’ll take care of all this, then come hang out with the dogs if you end up falling asleep. Should I feed them or something? Wait, we don’t have any dogfood, do we?”

                Kyungsoo chuckled tiredly. “Doc brought food, just like he brought the doghouse and bowls. He already fed them this morning, so we’ll feed them tonight. Their water will need to be checked throughout the day to make sure it hasn’t frozen. Once they’re trained more and given a job to do, we’ll be able to let them off their chains. They have to have a job though. It’s not an exaggeration. I’ve always liked the breed and read up on them a lot, but they’re certainly not city dogs.”

                “Well, they can always help with the foals til you get your goats. Go to bed though before you pass out and I have to explain to the nurse why you have more head injuries.”

                Kyungsoo was burrowed in his blanket cocoon and sound asleep by the time Jongin had picked up outside, so the cowboy washed the dishes as quietly as possible, then went back outside with his phone to read up on the newest members of his family and see exactly what they would require to be happy and healthy and not destructive little s judging by the stories he ran across of bored Aussies who made their own entertainment.

                “Mister Kim I presume?” Jongin picked up his head at the unfamiliar voice, now joined by Ollie and Alice’s barking, only to be greeted by the sight of a tall man in scrubs and an ed jacket, his thick blonde hair held back by a series of ponytail holders and nearly long enough to reach his knees and a heavy-looking bag over one shoulder. “My name is Robert John, I’m a home nurse here to see, I believe your husband, Kyungsoo Do?” He held out the badge on a lanyard around his neck for the cowboy to see. “I wasn’t told you had dogs. Are they friendly?”

                “They seem to be. We’ve only had them a couple hours. The vet in town brought them by now that we’re home to take care of them. Soo’s planning on raising goats later and wanted a working dog. Then he met Ollie and Alice here and couldn’t bear to split them up from what he said. I was getting breakfast at the time. His doctor at the hospital told him to take it easy, so the cook for the ranch will be supplying our meals for now since I can barely boil water. My husband was a chef when he lived in New York, and once he gets everything settled is going to start a food-based company here. Well, probably in town but you understand. I’ll warn you, he’s probably asleep right now. We had a bit of trouble earlier, and I’m pretty sure he overdid it and wouldn’t admit it or just go back to bed earlier.” Jongin went on to give a quick rundown of everything that had happened, while Robert pulled out his tablet and quickly started making notes.

                “Well, hopefully it doesn’t affect his recovery. I should see the patient now, if I may?”

                Jongin let the nurse into the cabin and kicked off his boots before tiptoeing over and gently shaking the blanket mound.

                “Soo? Soo Sweetheart, the nurse is here to see you.”

 

Fun facts: Ollie and Alice are based on real Aussies. Ollie was my dog when I was in middle school, til he bit the brat next door for throwing rocks at him. He didn't even break skin, but he still had to be put down. He really did have a blue and brown eye and liked to herd playground balls and my kittens around the yard. Alice was a mini version who belonged to a lady I used to take care of, and she was a holy terror because she was always bored, and once ate my socks when I look them off to dry after walking through a snowbank. The lady was non-verbal (used a word board to communicate) and in a wheelchair. She needed a lapdog, not a working dog. I heard her brother took Alice after the lady passed, and he's really active so hopefully she's burning off all her energy now.

Robert the nurse is based on a real person. I can't remember his last name, but he was my home nurse after the car accident where I broke my leg and pelvis. His hair really was that long. John came from the home nurse my husband had during his bout of at-home iv antibiotics. He was a tall, very good-looking black man that even my skittish cat Grady absolutely loved, and I needed a name so why not put the two home nurses' names together?