Chapter 17

What Happens in Vegas Doesn't Stay There

   Hello my little kittens! I'm trying to be better about updates, I promise. Suho's at least out of the picture, for now. I don't trust Taemin though. He has a way of sneaking into my stories when I don't expect or even want him to, so no doubt he'll be back causing mischief.            

 

       Kyungsoo was aggravated and bored. A month after he was released from the hospital, his doctor and Robert the nurse agreed he was fully healed, but he was still on restrictions, no heavy lifting or driving for another six weeks. He never seemed to see his husband anymore, Jongin seemingly always working starting from the week after he was released, the warmer weather bringing on more and more responsibilities, and all his friends were just as busy, with Cook doing all he could to keep the hands fed. The short man still helped as much as he could, but light duty kept him from a lot of things and he hated it. Baek had had to go home a few days after his release, deputized along with Chanyeol to Suho back to New York. Apparently that was a thing, though he didn’t really know how much legal weight it carried, and the pair had gotten quite the kick out of being “lawmen in charge of a criminal.” He’d ended up baby-sitting Double D, Chanyeol’s idiot hound that had to be constantly chained so he wouldn’t try to chase the horses, and he’d “fallen in love” with Alice and just howled after the bar owner came back to claim him and annoyed everyone in town so much the sheriff threatened to fine him if he couldn’t make the dog shut up. Everything Doc tried had no effect, so he suggested keeping the two together. Separating Alice and Ollie wasn’t an option, so now he had three dogs tied to the cabin porch, two Aussies who were getting as bored as he was with the weather change and no work, and a damn hound who dug holes and howled every time he couldn’t see his girlfriend. The fact the dogs were fixed didn’t seem to matter. It’s not that Kyungsoo hated Double D, but three dogs were a bit much for a small cabin even if they were outside and he was afraid someone was going to break an ankle in one of the holes. Plus, they looked awful. If he’d been completely cleared, he’d have been able to take the dogs to obedience training and maybe some doggie day care to run off their energy. Even Tansy was busy. With her upcoming placement tests to see if she could be in a regular kindergarten classroom or if her language problems would necessitate some type of special education program, she was now spending five days a week with her speech therapist, which made the usually sweet little girl just as crabby as he felt. Personally he thought it was stupid. Sure, she had trouble pronouncing certain things but what kid didn’t at some point? She was smart as a whip otherwise, bilingual at four, and he was afraid she’d just end up hating school after being pushed so hard. But it was the Hollands’ choice, and they felt this was what was best for their granddaughter.

                “Hey Soo, what’s wrong? You look like you’re about to club the devil himself with his own legs” Kyungsoo was startled out of his thoughts by the sudden voice and looked up to see Jongin, covered in dirt and bits of dead grass and looking both concerned and somehow hot as sin as filthy as he was. Damn, they really needed some alone time where his husband wasn’t eating or asleep. Even their love life was currently non-existent, the cowboy simply being too worn out for more than a quick peck and cuddle after dinner and before passing out.

                “Thinking too much out of boredom and frustration. There’s so much I need and want to do, but I can’t because of this” Kyungsoo knew he was nearly whining even as he pointed to where his injuries had healed. His hair was slowly starting to come back from when the doctor had had to shave it, but he was afraid he’d have weird patching because of scarring. He stuck his lip out unconsciously as he continued. “And I miss you so much, and don’t even have any work that can help keep me occupied so it doesn’t bother me quite so much that you’re busy all the time. It’s not like I didn’t know there would be times like this. I just thought I’d have my garden and other stuff instead of sitting here on the porch, basking in the sun like an old man. Not that I’m not happy to see you, but why are you here? It’s barely the middle of the afternoon.”

                “Oh Soo, I miss being with you too. Just cuddling at night when I can hardly move . That’s why I’m here. We all busted our asses to complete everything, and the others shooed me off a little bit ago and told me to go be a good husband, they’d finish up. I had to clear it with Boss to make sure it was okay, and he said I’d more than made up for the time I had to miss while you were in the hospital, in labor if not hours. So, for the rest of today as well as tomorrow I’m all yours. Or, I will be once I shower since I don’t smell like no rose right now. I had an idea to help keep you busy without violating doctor’s orders. I’m sure you can think of better things to do with me today, but what do you think about learning how to drive a pony trap? There’s a couple kicking around that only get used a few times in the summer, and one is extremely lightweight so with help you shouldn’t have any trouble hitching it up. Apple never moves more than a semi-fast waddle and could use the exercise since Tans is always at that damn school right now, and doesn’t spook at cars, tractors, or anything else including obnoxious dogs so if you wanted to you could even tie the herd to the back and wear them out without breaking your arms. There’s a riding helmet you could wear to protect your head just in case. You could at least go to town, maybe start checking out some of the properties. I know you didn’t have much luck with an internet search. Like an idiot I forgot that the local realtor is approximately nine hundred years old and doesn’t trust these new-fangled gadgets like computers and smartphones. She’s a sweetheart though, more together than people half her age, and also bakes terrific sugar cookies and pot pies. She’s in that little blue house near the feedlot if you decide you want to meet her. She’ll talk your ears off about the history of each place, and if you can get her started on cooking you’ll probably find enough in common. Now, I’m going to go take that shower so you can do with me what you like. Hopefully, I won’t mess up the floor too bad.”

                Jongin dusted himself off as well as he could and went inside, while Kyungsoo sat in his chair and mulled over what his husband had told him. He’d been around horses since he could walk as it was a proper thing for an heir to a company to learn, and even once he’d been shipped off he’d made it a point to keep up at a couple of riding stables within an hour outside the city. He couldn’t remember if he’d ever mentioned it to Jongin and it had been some time since he’d driven since he preferred to ride, not that he’d gotten a chance since moving to Nevada, despite living on a horse ranch. It was ridiculous how many things had happened so far, but maybe it would settle down now so he could get a handle on his new life.

                Waiting until he knew Jongin was just about to get in the shower, Kyungsoo quietly slipped into the cabin to strip. Tiptoeing, he snuck into the bathroom to join his husband, who didn’t seem to mind at all that things quickly got steamier than the hot water as the short man pulled him into a kiss. They did manage to separate long enough to get out and dry off before moving to the bed, then take a break for a quick dinner of warmed over leftovers and to feed the dogs, but didn’t even bother with the dishes before diving right back into bed to try and make up for some of the time they’d spent being that close to each other. Kyungsoo slept better than he had in weeks that night, curled around his cowboy, pleasantly worn out and happy they’d reconnected before any major blow-ups happened, only to wake early with too much on his mind. Now that he had that reassurance Jongin had missed him just as much, he could relax tension he hadn’t even realized he’d had, finally recognizing that he’d been lowkey scared his husband had been avoiding him, not just working hard due to the time of the year, even though he’d been told that from the beginning. He knew logically he was a bit paranoid and at risk of being too clingy, but he wasn’t sure what he’d do if Jongin ever decided they were a mistake.

                “Soo Sweetheart, I can hear you thinking too loud again. Yes I missed you, and no you’re not a mistake. I love you, you’re adorable but a little paranoid, and it’s too damn early to be awake when we don’t have to be.” Jongin’s sleepy voice startled Kyungsoo out of his mixed-up thoughts that had woken him, and he pulled his cowboy closer to nuzzle into his neck.

                “Sorry Baby, I didn’t mean to wake you. I was fine last night, but my thoughts couldn’t just let me be. I know you love me as much as I love you, but sometimes I have a hard time believing it. Then I’m afraid you’re going to get sick of reassuring me and tell me to leave anyway.”

                Jongin shifted so he could roll onto his back, then his other side so they were facing each other. Kyungsoo closed his eyes as the cowboy lightly his face, before closing the gap to give him a light kiss on his eyelids and lips.

                “Don’t apologize Soo. If I’d had the life you did before we met, I’d need that reassurance too, being rejected by your family, a series of loser relationships the way Baekhyun told it, only to end up cheated on. Thank God for the puppy and those two other friends of yours, or there might not being a Do Kyungsoo for me to love or be married to. For better or worse remember? I don’t agree to things I don’t mean, even if it’s a surprise that I’ve agreed to them. Now, think you can go back to sleep for a while?”

                Kyungsoo nodded, grateful Jongin didn’t seem upset. He cuddled closer to his cowboy and the two dropped back off, only waking again when the sun streamed onto their faces since they had forgotten to close the curtains, and Double D started howling for his breakfast, which set Ollie and Alice barking.

                “Remind me to kill that dog later” Jongin grumbled, crawling out of bed and groping for his drawer for clean underwear and socks.

                “Don’t kill the dog Love. I can’t help bury the body, and the pigs wouldn’t eat him. They have standards.” Kyungsoo was all yawns as he attempted to find his glasses, only to blink in a way Jongin said reminded him of a cute baby owl.

                “Fine, he lives, for now. Once I remember how to operate pants I’ll go feed them and do dog poop detail, unless there’s something you want me to do inside first?”

                “No, go ahead. I wasn’t expecting you home today so no honey do list” Kyungsoo grinned as he slid off the bed to begin rummaging for his own clothes. “Of course, I have no objection if you decide against pants, or a shirt, or anything else.”

                Jongin chuckled and pulled Kyungsoo in for a hug. “I’m sure Sweetheart, but it’s still a bit chilly outside. After your trap lesson maybe we’ll explore the no pants idea again.”

                “Spoilsport” Kyungsoo teased and pecked Jongin’s lips before wiggling free so they could get dressed.

                While Jongin was outside dealing with the dogs and their mess, Kyungsoo made the bed, picked up their scattered laundry to put in the hamper, and neatly stacked the dirty dishes in the sink so they were out of the way while he started coffee and made breakfast, bacon and egg pancakes. It was ridiculously unhealthy, but he knew his husband would appreciate them. Which the cowboy did after he came back in and washed up, by devouring four while the older man nibbled away on one.

                “How did you come up with something like that Soo? I’ve heard of bacon pancakes, and I know some people put their eggs on top of their pancakes, but to cook them all mixed up? That was fantastic!”

                Kyungsoo shrugged. “I’m not sure honestly. It just seemed like a good idea.”

                While Kyungsoo finished his tea Jongin did the dishes, then the couple agreed to pack a picnic basket to take with them, before brushing their teeth and hair and heading out, stopping only to untie the dogs to see how well they’d take to running behind the trap.

                It went better than Kyungsoo expected. The pony trap was even simpler than he’d thought, and Apple Blossom seemed happy enough to be hitched up. The short man fastened his helmet and climbed aboard while Jongin secured the picnic basket to the back and tied the dogs in a way they couldn’t trip or have their lines caught in the wheels.

                Jongin had barely taken his seat and looked about to say something, only to gawp like a stranded fish as Kyungsoo released the brake, and clicked his tongue at Apple Blossom while lightly flicking the reins, which he’d learned through using the pony cart was her signal to go. He soon got her coaxed to something close to a trot and pointed toward town, while the dogs ran behind and barked happily for all they were worth, Double D baying every now and then just for a change.

                “Why you little stinker! Why didn’t you tell me you knew how to drive one of these things?” Jongin seemed amused rather than upset, one hand on his hat and the other on Kyungsoo’s knee, glancing back to check on the dogs, who showed no signs of wearing out.

                “And spoil my fun? Your face alone was worth it. I was going to suggest the Hollands put in a goldfish pond just for you. Did I ever tell you about my adventures with horses?”

                Whether Kyungsoo had or not, Jongin said he wanted to hear about them anyway. So, the short man amused his husband with stories the rest of the way to town, slowing when the cowboy said little Alice was panting hard, though still pushing herself to keep up with the bigger dogs. They stopped at Happy Virus first to catch up on all the town gossip, and let the dogs get a good drink and rest on Chanyeol’s porch, where they immediately all flopped as soon as they were tied.

                “I’ll be happy when they’re trained well enough not to need to be chained anymore. I worry they’re going to hang themselves one of these days.”

                “I don’t think even Double D is quite that stupid, I hope.”

                Chanyeol greeted the couple enthusiastically. Happy Virus wasn’t open for business yet, but the bar owner and Sara Jo were busy putting away stock. Kyungsoo went to the back to talk with Abuela, a sweet old Mexican lady who was like the town grandmother, hence her name. Her English wasn’t good and she understood next to no Korean, so the short man’s conversations with her had helped do wonders for his Spanish, as well as his knowledge of her native cuisine. She cooked for the bar the two nights a week it offered food, and she also cooked and cleaned for Chanyeol, who she often said needed to find a good wife to take care of him, like Kyungsoo cared for Jongin. She wasn’t mixed up that he was a woman or anything, but since the bar owner claimed to be straight, in her opinion he needed a wife. Since the only other Koreans she knew were her boss’s friends, she used the married ones as an example. They might have been gay, but she’d pointed out once the cowboy couldn’t deny his husband had to look after him, amusement twinkling in her faded eyes as she pushed a pair of embroidered couch pillows with horses on them and a handmade quilt in shades of blue with a Mexican pattern to the pieces they now used as a bedspread into their arms.

                Abuela seemed quite happy to see him, eagerly taking Kyungsoo’s hands and pulling him toward a seat near the small stove, only to push a cup of Mexican hot chocolate into his hands before going back to what she was cooking, chattering away eagerly, asking how he was doing and if he was back to normal yet.

                “Not yet. I’m healed, but the doctor doesn’t want me to drive or do a lot of work for a few more weeks so I can’t put in my garden or really help Cook. Jongin’s been working so much I’ve been kind of lonely. Then he came home early yesterday to surprise me, and suggested a pony trap. At least I’ll be able to come visit now, and he told me where to find the realtor so I can start looking at properties. The more I think about the business I want, the more I think I want to wait to start it until after I have a building.” Kyungsoo’s Spanish was slow and he knew his accent was even weirder than when he spoke English, but the old lady understood him well enough.

                “That’s good to keep busy, and see. Your husband thinks of you even when you’re apart. The Bacon told Chan you tend to get nervous, but don’t. That boy loves you.”

                Kyungsoo wondered if his worries were written on his forehead or something. First Jongin, now Abuela. He sighed and took a sip of his drink before replying.

                “Jongin told me the same thing earlier. I try to remember, but sometimes…” Kyungsoo trailed off, but Abuela seemed to understand and patted his knee. They fell to companionable silence after that, beyond the Korean’s praises when he taste-tested the stew she’d been working on. Jongin came to collect him after fifteen or twenty minutes and he kissed her cheek as he said goodbye, somehow feeling better when he’d thought he already had from when he’d talked to his husband earlier.

                The rest of the day was spent happily just the two of them. They decided to leave the dogs with Chanyeol since they were quiet and just rambled around with the pony trap on their own after picking up a hand drawn map from the realtor. The lady, even older than Abuela but even more alert wasn’t feeling well but managed to croak through a sore throat to mark any properties he was interested in, and come back and see her in a couple of weeks. They stopped at the store for a pen and drinks and went to check a few out.

                One building in particular caught Kyungsoo’s attention right away and he was surprised at himself for not noticing it sooner. It was outside of town but conveniently close, a solidly built long, low barn, left after the house of the family who’d owned it caught fire. Only the wife managed to escape, the husband trapped when he’d tried to get their children, a two-year-old and a six-month-old asleep in the next room out. He’d tried to get the window open to lower them down with torn sheets or at least his wife was sure that’s what he’d yelled he was going to do as she ran for her life, but it had warped, and he was found with his fingers still clutching the windowsill. Jongin knew the story only because it had happened shortly after he and Chanyeol arrived and they had volunteered to help try and put the blaze out as he’d been visiting the bar owner at the time. Afterwards the house was completely destroyed per the widow’s request, and after the funerals of her family she’d left town to go back to stay with her parents. The cowboy didn’t know what happened to her after that since she hadn’t kept in touch with anyone as far as he knew.

                It was a sad story, but Kyungsoo couldn’t help but see the potential of the barn as the couple explored it inside and out. It also came with plenty of land, as the former owners had intended to farm before the tragedy. A new idea began to form as he scribbled notes on the back of the map, but wanted some time to let it brew before he said anything. He only tucked it away to think on later and asked which direction the next property was in.

                The couple visited a few more, even stopping to eat their lunch in the cute gazebo of one place, but Kyungsoo’s thoughts went back to the barn and what they could do to bring some happiness to a place that had seen such sadness.

                “You’re thinking again Soo, and have been all day” Jongin finally commented as they headed back to town to pick up a few things they needed for dinner and to collect the dogs who were probably raising holy hell by now.

                “Yes, but I’m not ready to share my thoughts just yet” Kyungsoo replied, coaxing Apple Blossom back to her near trot, just til they got back to town. Then, the fat little pony could plod all she liked.

                “It’s about that barn, isn’t it? You’ve had your thinking face since you saw it. Well, whatever you decide I’ll support you you know that.”

                Kyungsoo smiled, and leaned over to peck Jongin’s lips. “I know Love, and I appreciate it. Right now they’re just thoughts, and I’m not even sure if they can be worked out yet.”

                Surprisingly the dogs weren’t barking or howling their fool heads off, though the giant rawhides Ollie and Double D, and the much smaller one Alice were all chewing on might have had a lot to do with it. The smallest of the three dogs seemed reluctant to be tied to the trap again, so Jongin just held her while the other two trotted along merrily, Double D only howling if Alice’s face disappeared from over the cowboy’s shoulder. They made it back to Holland Ranch safely, someone offering to brush Apple Blossom and put everything away for them so they headed back to their cabin, Kyungsoo lugging the picnic basket with their leftovers and garbage in it, while Jongin carried the shopping bag and Alice, the other two dogs’ ropes looped around his hand. The short man was stunned to see the garden he’d wanted to plant all dug out and ready, only to have his husband explain one of his jobs was to keep him out long enough so his old bunkmates could surprise him as a thank you for being so patient.

                When the couple finally went to sleep later that night after “exploring the no pants option” as Jongin jokingly referred to their bed activities, Kyungsoo felt much more settled in his mind. His husband still loved him, he had new things to occupy himself with til their lives went back to normal, and if he could work it out without upsetting anyone, he might have found where “Kyungsoo’s Cuisines” could be based.

 

Fun facts, or maybe gross facts: My mom is the one who used to call it "dog poop detail" back when we had dogs and my dad went to go clean up after them. She's also the person I know who puts her over medium eggs on top of her syrupy pancakes. I can only eat eggs scrambled, over hard, or hard boiled, and they have no business being anywhere near pancake syrup. I used to have to look away so I wouldn't gag.