Chapter 9

What Happens in Vegas Doesn't Stay There

I apologize for not posting yesterday my little kittens, but my husband had physical therapy and we met three new players for the weekly D&D game he runs. This is kind of a filler chapter, transitioning from "holy hell, they want to stay married and be cuddly and adorable" to "this is what reality will be like for them." Sure, everyone at the ranch is happy for them. With so few people in town it doesn't matter what kind of new resident moves in, but it won't always be sunshine and fluffy bunnies.

 

                Kyungsoo was relieved. It wasn’t that he hadn’t trusted Jongin’s note when he said he had to rush off due to tragedy at the ranch, but his own self-doubts kept trying to rush in and say his husband was done playing and just wanted to be away from him. There was no denying the look on the cowboy’s face was genuine though, and the fact he was currently being kissed like they had been apart for two years instead of two weeks just cemented it for him.

                The couple didn’t come up for air until childish giggles and a little girl singing “Kai and Kunthu thitting in a twee” broke through and Kyungsoo and Jongin finally pulled apart, but didn’t let each other go. Kyungsoo had met Tansy the day before, when he with Chanyeol and the Hollands’ help snuck around to set up what he was hoping would be his and Jongin’s first home. If his husband really didn’t want to live together well then he could also stay by himself, but he was hoping for the best.

                “How are you here?” Jongin asked, once Chanyeol had shooed them into a booth and brought Jongin and Tansy’s milk and the bourbon Kyungsoo had asked for. The bar owner and the little girl settled across from the married couple and seemed content to find a picture to work on in Tansy’s coloring book while the two caught up.

                Kyungsoo snuggled into Jongin’s arms. He’d been so lonely the last two weeks, having gotten used to the cowboy’s constant presence. Most people exhausted or irritated him, but Jongin was different and the short man was relieved to be where he felt he belonged.

                “After I saw you were gone and read your note, I couldn’t stay in Vegas any longer so I packed up and left. Warren and Cathy both said they hoped we’d come back someday and even though she wasn’t supposed to, Cathy refunded the days remaining since it was a “family emergency.” I wasn’t lying. From what you said, the Hollands and everyone at the ranch are part of your family.”

                “True, but don’t forget you’re my family now too Soo.”

                Kyungsoo’s heart skipped to hear Jongin refer to him as family. It had been so long since he’d had one of those. Baek tried, but they were friends. It wasn’t the same. In order to hide his feelings, he continued talking.

                “I caught a plane back to New York and ignored Baek when he pestered me for details and tried to rope me back into life there. I wanted to think and he wanted to gossip. All I remember was him saying something about our work friend Sehun resigning because of something or other. I didn’t really care. I was trying to figure out the best way to get myself out here.

                Originally, I’d actually thought about just coming here straight from Vegas, but as impatient as I was to be back with you and make sure you were okay it simply wasn’t practical. We’d have no place to live and I would only have the stuff in my suitcases. Kind of hard to make a home that way. I knew I couldn’t move in with you at your dorm either so I started making phone calls. You’d left me the Hollands’ contact information, and Missus Holland once she heard the story was more than happy to recruit Boss and Chanyeol to help since I couldn’t very well make arrangements myself. Then I asked for recommendations for a vehicle and ended up with that black beast outside. You have some lovely roads (sarcasm, they’re all potholes and/or dirt and gravel), so I’m sure it’ll blend in with everyone else soon enough.

                Baekhyun thinks I’m insane of course. At first, he just thought I was resurrecting my old dream of moving out this way since I broke my engagement, but once I told him I was married to a cowboy I’d met on the plane and showed him the proof he threw a royal fit. We argued the entire rest of the time I was there. He’ll get over it, once he gets used to the idea and sees I’m actually happy. He’s just a bit of a drama queen and didn’t want me to leave, so I pulled a Jongin. I packed up my stuff and left while he was at work. It’s not like I had a ton except my books, blankets, and cooking supplies. I left him the bedroom furniture, figuring it would be easier to just buy or order anything like that once I got here and see what was needed. I climbed into my truck and I drove and drove and drove and drove. I did stop somewhere overnight, but I wanted to get here as soon as possible.

                It was hard not to rush to find you as soon as I arrived, but I did want to unpack and see what we needed first. Missus Holland and Tansy took me shopping for the day and Chanyeol and some of the ranch hands helped unpack and arrange. It’s all set to move in.”

                “But where are you living? I didn’t hear of any property being sold.”

                “I’m hoping it’ll be where we’ll be living Baby, and the Hollands offered the old cabin on the property so you can still be close to work. They had it fixed up before I got here. It’s small and cozy I think. Of course, if you really don’t want to live together I can stay by myself.”

                “Nuh uh. As you said, a man’s place is at his husband’s side. I just didn’t want to assume.”

                “I’m afraid you’re stuck with me now.”

                “I never thought you’d actually move out here to our little piece of nowhere. The best I hoped for was somewhere in the same state so we can try to figure out some sort of relationship. I know you hate being cold. Actually, how are you running around in just that?”

                “Thermal underwear. Chanyeol recommended a website I could order from. Plus I have a heavy coat for outside, and I’m sure I’ll toughen up soon enough. Besides, I have my own personal heater for nights. Maybe you’ve heard of it. Tall, jaw-droppingly gorgeous, washboard abs, usually dresses for comfort but looks hot as sin in a suit.”

                Jongin chuckled. “Careful Sweetheart, you’ll give me a big head.”

                Kyungsoo gave his most innocent face. “Who me? If that happens I can knock you down a peg.”

                Chanyeol chose to break in then. “As vomit-inducing adorable as you two are, Miss Tansy here has just informed me she’s starving to death and wishes to go home since Abuela isn’t working today. I’m assuming you’re on that hay burner of yours Nini and from the looks of it you two couldn’t be pried apart with a crowbar, so Kyungsoo can leave his truck here and I’ll take Tans on the bike since I’m invited for supper.”

                “You think I’m going to let you take a four-year-old on that deathtrap of yours? No, if Kyungsoo doesn’t mind driving slowly I can hold Peaches’ reins and she can trot alongside. It’s not that far. You can take yourself on that thing.”

                “You no fun Kai” Tansy pouted, but agreed to ride in the truck instead. Kyungsoo would’ve liked to ride double with Jongin on his horse, but they had the rest of their lives for that and he couldn’t imagine a motorcycle being a very safe way to transport the little girl. It was bad enough he didn’t have a booster seat for her or even a backseat so she’d have to sit between the adults. At least with leading Peaches there would be no way they’d get into any high-speed collisions.

                Kyungsoo went to get his coat and hat and gloves, which made the others laugh as soon as he put them on. It was colder here than even New York, and even more of a shock after the heat of Vegas only a couple weeks prior. He didn’t mind being laughed at if he was warm, though he was surprised even Tansy only had a thin coat on, and no hat. He hoped she didn’t get sick, and after seeing how she was bundled around her grandparents he suspected she managed to convince Jongin she didn’t have to dress appropriately. Then again, they were on a horse and the cowboy was always hot so maybe she really didn’t.

                After meeting and patting Peaches, Kyungsoo helped Tansy into the truck and made sure she was buckled before climbing in himself and backing up so he could just go straight once Jongin was in. His husband rolled the window all the way down and made sure he had a firm grip on the reins before giving the okay so the short man put on his hazard lights and moved out slowly so the horse could get used to the truck before he carefully nudged up to trotting speed and headed for Holland Ranch. It really didn’t take long to get there and park, and Jongin gave Kyungsoo a peck over Tansy’s head and told him to go with the little girl and get warm while he took care of the horse and washed up. Then he’d rejoin them. As much as he disliked being away from his husband for even a minute, Kyungsoo agreed and was dragged off by Tansy to go find her grandmother, who turned out to be in a cafeteria-style room. Missus Holland was helping a bent-over old man carry stacks of bowls to a long table that already had two giant pots, piles of cornbread, bowls of salad, trays, bowls, spoons, urns labeled regular and decaf, glasses and cups, while the tables held napkins, salt and pepper shakers, butter dishes, pitchers of water, and what Kyungsoo was guessing were sugar bowls and cream pitchers.

                “Gwamma! Kunthu found Kai! Where Gwampa?” Tansy’s loud voice made the two older people look up, and Kyungsoo suddenly wished he’d gone with Jongin to the barn, no matter how cold it was. How was he going to cope once all the ranch hands came in to eat?

                “Grandpa’s coming. His leg is just bothering him. Come on in you two. Kyungsoo, this is Cook who keeps the rabble all fed. Which, by the way isn’t easy since most of them eat like they’ve starved for a week. Cook, that shy young man is Jongin’s husband Kyungsoo Do. He’s very sweet. Jongin’s lucky to have him.”

                Hearing someone he’d just met the day before say such nice things about him made Kyungsoo want to find somewhere to bolt, but Tansy grabbed his hand in both of hers and with every ounce of her surprising strength for a four-year-old girl started to drag him over to the others.

                “It okay Kunthu. Nobody thary here. Cook ith real nith, and tho are the hanths.”

                “To me, most people are scary” Kyungsoo admitted.

                “Kai be here thoon.”

                The thought of Jongin being back with him soon was probably the only thing that kept Kyungsoo from running away, until they neared the food and he got a whiff of something that smelled amazing and his stomach growled, which made Tansy giggle.

                “Kunthu hungwy Gwamma.”

                “I didn’t think I was until I got a smell. What is that?” Kyungsoo was still nervous, but food was one of the few things that had the potential to distract him. Food, and Jongin of course.

                “Cook’s special seven alarm chili. About half the men here including Jongin snork it down like it was plain buttered noodles. The other pot has extremely mild chili, no spice or peppers at all. That’s what Tansy, Jay, and I eat. The rest mix the two to their own taste. It’s good on a cold night when the men have been outside.”

                “He does this all himself?”

                “Breakfast, lunch, and supper. Most of the time I’ll cook for the three of us, but after seeing how nervous new people made you, I thought you might prefer having those you kind of know around while you met everyone else. I know you’ll probably cook for the two of you at the cabin most of the time, but know you’re always welcome to eat here, especially on days like tonight where Cook also made his special chocolate cake.”

                “You cook too, Kyungsoo was it?” Cook shuffled up to join the others, seemingly interested and Kyungsoo suddenly felt very bold.

                “Yes Sir, I do. I was a sous chef at one of the fanciest restaurants in New York, but I’d like to learn how to make things real people eat. Would it be possible for me to come watch you sometime, maybe help out?”

                “Seventy-eight people on this ranch, and Missus Holland is the only one who has ever asked that question until now. If you can cook as well as your husband eats or are willing to listen and learn, you’re welcome in my kitchen anytime.”