Chapter 14

What Happens in Vegas Doesn't Stay There

Another crazy week at work my little kittens. First I ended up taking two of my ladies for their doctor's appt, then I ended up working back to back doubles from Saturday til Monday with only a seven hour break inbetween. Not exactly my idea of a good time. My original plan had been to get this ready to post Monday, but I was so tired by the time I got home that morning I could barely operate cereal. Then yesterday was D&D, so that left today. Thank you for your patience. I'm hoping it's less crazy now since I still want to try to post more regularly, but don't hold your breath. I've also got a few one shots that need to be typed up and edited so I can post, and I'm also working on my first BTS fic that I'll start posting once I figure out what to call it.

 

                Jongin could barely admit it to himself and would never say anything to Kyungsoo or anyone else, but he’d been scared to death he was going to lose his husband. It wasn’t that he wasn’t aware scalp wounds bled a lot, and although the doctors hadn’t been expecting it this wasn’t the first time head trauma had led to a short-term coma if that’s what they wanted to call it. He knew a couple of other riders on the same rodeo circuit he was on who had had similar experiences after being thrown. Enough force in just the right spot, and it’s “lights out” for a while.

                But, Jongin wasn’t going to be thinking of those types of things. Kyungsoo was fine, just grumpy after all the tests, uncomfortable bed even with a blanket cocoon, and lousy hospital food, and getting rather impatient to be cleared so he could go home. They were just waiting on a couple of test results. The cowboy was getting impatient as well. He was running out of ways to keep his grouchy, bored husband entertained and sometimes almost envied Yeol and Baekhyun, who turned out to be getting along quite well. They came in for a few hours in the afternoon and the four played card games then. Otherwise, they now traveled back and forth from the tiny town everyone but Baekhyun had adopted as their own, to the bigger town nearly two hours away that unfortunately had the closest hospital. They would bring requested items, news from the ranch, Cook and Missus Holland’s treats that had been cleared by Kyungsoo’s doctor, and Tansy’s drawings and handmade cards for “Kunthu,” having pestered her grandfather into showing her how to spell a few words. So there was now a half-dozen construction paper and magic marker creations with “Get Well Soon” and “I Miss You” in crooked, uneven letters propped up on the short man’s nightstand.

                Kyungsoo was dozing after lunch, having had a very restless night, and Jongin was sitting in a chair next to the bed, finishing his fries he’d gotten from the cafeteria, waiting on Yeol and Baekhyun’s daily visit, and texting Boss that they were still waiting on test results, when there was a knock on the door and Kyungsoo’s doctor appeared, a big smile on his face. The short man woke up, obviously cranky, and the cowboy immediately took his hands.

                “Good afternoon Mister Do, Mister Kim. Are you ready to go home?”

                Kyungsoo’s eyes went wide, and Jongin wasn’t sure he’d heard right.

                “I’m sorry Doctor, what did you say?”

                “I asked if you and your husband were ready to go home. The last of the test results are finally back. He’s fine. He doesn’t need to be stuck here any longer, just a couple of follow up appointments to make sure his head has completely healed, and there will be a few mild to moderate restrictions for a few weeks, but nothing that should impact your lives too much. It’s more of a precaution than anything else.”

                “Did you hear that Baby? We can finally go home!”

                Jongin had never seen Kyungsoo so excited. He was practically bouncing out of bed, much to the doctor’s apparent amusement.

                “Well, that answers that. I’ll tell the nurse to come pull your IV and start the discharge paperwork, and I’ll be sending you home with some pain pills for your headaches.”

                “Thank you Doctor!”

                After a celebratory hug and kiss with Kyungsoo, who soon had his IV out and was having his first real shower in three weeks, aide standing by in case he slipped after being in bed so long while the nurse showed him how to wash his hair with his healing wounds and what aftercare would be needed, Jongin first called Baekhyun, and through the crackles and patchiness that was cell reception in rural Nevada managed to relay that Kyungsoo was being discharged, and ask how long did they think it would take them to come get them.

                “We’re *pop crackle buzz* about … *crackle* away now. *crackle pop crackle buzz crackle* ‘ing phone … *pop buzz* you then … *click*”

                Jongin winced as he hung up, texting Boss and Cook the good news. Both men gave their standard short replies, but managed to convey their emotions in the few words. He then started to gather up Kyungsoo’s things so they could be packed up, only to be interrupted by a video call. It was an excited Tansy, asking if “Kai and Kunthu” were really going to be coming home, only to squeal and clap her hands when the cowboy confirmed it.

                “Geth what Kai! Elfie and Bacon like each other like you and Kunthu do. I thaw them kithing when me and Gwamma went thopping for the kittens.”

                “Oh, really now? I’ll have to let Kyungsoo know so he and I can tease them for always saying they didn’t like boys. He’s in the shower learning how to take care of the cuts on his head. The doctor said he’ll heal up in a couple more weeks, don’t worry.”

                “I not worried Kai. Kunthu hath you and me and Bacon and Cook and Gwamma and Gwanpa and Elfie and everyone elthe.”

                “You’re right Tans, he does. I’m going to hang up now so I can get his stuff together and we can listen to what he needs to do at home. We’ll see you in a few hours, okay?”

                “Okay Kai. Bye bye!” Tansy hung up, and Jongin chuckled as he went back to his task. He loved watching his husband and the little girl interacting, and wondered if it was really too soon to bring up children. There were plenty of houses and properties for sale nearby. It wasn’t that he didn’t like the cabin, or wasn’t satisfied with just having Kyungsoo. He just thought the older man would make a fantastic father, even if he wasn’t sure about himself. He’d try his hardest though since he wasn’t going to be one of those people to push the responsibility of the kids all on their spouse.

                Eventually Kyungsoo came out of the bathroom, dressed in only a towel and held up by the nurse and aide and Jongin hopped up from his chair, worried.

                “Relax Baby, I’m just tired from being so lazy. You’ll have to help me shower for a few days. I can’t feel where all the wounds are and they can’t be rubbed while they finish healing.”

                “It’ll be in the discharge instructions too; in case you forget anything. I’ll go get your bushel of paperwork if you want to help your husband get dressed Mister Kim” the nurse added, having already waved the aide off.

                “Sure. Is there anything special I need to know or do?”

                “Just try not to rub anything against the wounds. Once his head is dry, I’ll show you how to wrap the gauze to keep them clean. If you lived in town it wouldn’t be quite such an issue, but Mister Do said you live on a horse ranch?”

                “Yes Ma’am. It’s where I work, and my boss offered us a cabin on the property when Soo came to live with me after we married.” Jongin waited for curious questions about how they met, but all the nurse did was nod her head.

                “That was nice of him. I’ll go get that paperwork.”

                The nurse left, and Kyungsoo sat on the side of his bed while Jongin got the clothes he’d bought his husband when he went shopping for himself since he’d refused to leave town after Boss told him to stay by Kyungsoo’s side. He’d thought about giving the cabin key to Yeol and Baekhyun and having them pick up stuff, but he hadn’t really like the idea of their best friends rummaging through their underwear, and his husband had told more than one story about how Baekhyun had tried to get rid of his clothes he didn’t like. So, he bought his standard things, and new thermals and the heaviest sweater and insulated jeans and thickest wool socks he could find for the short man who was now shivering.

                “Come on Sweetheart, let’s get you dressed quickly” Jongin said, bending down to help Kyungsoo with his boxers, then thermal bottoms, then socks, then jeans.

                “These aren’t mine. They’re nice and warm though” Kyungsoo commented as he stood up with Jongin’s help and pulled everything into place. The cowboy then very carefully stretched the thermal top and sweater over Kyungsoo’s head, watching that he didn’t brush the still stitched up wounds. He’d been surprised they were still sewn up after three weeks, but it had been explained the sutures would gradually dissolve now that his husband was awake and able to shower. They didn’t want to try picking any of them out or forcing them to melt more quickly, in case anything was to open again. Nobody wanted them to bleed or an infection to get in.

                “I didn’t want anyone else but me to see your underwear, so I just bought you new stuff when I bought mine. I wasn’t about to leave if I didn’t have to since no one knew when you were going to wake up.”

                “I wondered why your clothes looked less battered than usual. A few weeks with Silverdust and I’m sure they’ll match your others” Kyungsoo teased, a sparkle in his eye as he sat back down so Jongin could help him with his boots.

                “Maybe I’ll keep them nice for when we go out on dates. Beluga whales aside, I still want to be able to show you off as mine when you’re willing to go somewhere. I know peopling isn’t always your thing.”

                “True, but it’s been easier since I’ve been with you, minus the psycho. I hope those kids don’t grow up to be like their mother. From what I remember, their dad looked about as spineless as your average jellyfish. At least they can sting.”

                “We can only hope.”