Saranghae

Its You All Along

CHAPTER 4



After their group practice they stayed at the RBW music room to discuss the concept and of their song. Their CEO specified that the concept should be a dance song and that it should be cheerful; then they have the freedom to decide the rest of the details.It was already 4 in the morning when Moonbyul and Solar packed up after working on their duet song.

"You'll catch a ride with Byul?" their CEO asked Solar innocently, knowing that Solar didn't have her own car and Byul brought hers.

"Oh-no no no. It's okay." Solar quickly shrugged the idea off. She didn't want to burden Byul, and its not like she was offered a ride home anyways.

"You're not going to take her home?" he asked Byul this time, he knew that the two singers had a falling out but didn't want to pry so he's trying to do the best he can to fix the situation without overstepping his boundaries.


"Good thing we took this route. The traffic in the highway is horrible." Byul started, breaking the silence that floats in their atmosphere. Yongsun ended up riding with her, after the concept planning of their duet, since their CEO subtly insisted that she do so; and its not like Byul would let Yongsun ride home alone when she can easily drop her off to her house.

"Yeah." Yongsun answered simply. She wanted to have a conversation with Moonbyul but she didn't know how. All they have is their past and everything about it makes Yongsun want to cry, and she really didn't want to cry, so she keeps quiet.

And so the silence visited them again.

But then Yongsun sneezes.

"Sorry, are you cold?" Moonbyul asks, but she didn't wait for Yongsun's answer to increase the temperature of her car's air-condition.

"Your new car is cool." Yongsun took the opportunity to make a pun which earned a laugh from Moonbyul. "You must've saved a lot of money." Yongsun points out.

"Nah." Moonbyul denies casually. "I just had a lot of leftover savings from-" and she stops abruptly, realizing what she's going to say. She used to save her money so her and Solar can live luxuriously when they get married someday, but obviously there's no use for that now.

Moonbyul really didn't need to finish her sentence for Solar to know what she's about to say.

Their light conversation quickly turned into a combination of tension-and-awkwardness-filled silence.


Solar's in the middle of her self loathing when a pair of sunglasses fell on her lap.

"Oh, sorry." Moonbyul quickly apologizes, taking the glasses from Solar's hands. "That's Wheein's"

Solar, for the first time, strangely felt grim hearing Wheein's name. She feels guilty for feeling this way but her heart was never cooperative with her.

"Is she okay with us..." Solar asks carefully, hoping that Moonbyul would answer her honestly.

"Yeah. She's actually excited to hear what song we'll make." Moonbyul smiles, and Solar smiles at how Byul's eyes instantly lit up when she started talking about Wheein,even though it also makes her want to cry because of the whirlwind that seemed to be happening inside her stomach.

"Wow..."she didn't want to call it jealousy, but its the closest thing to what she's feeling.

"How long have you been together?" Solar asks, this time she was genuinely curious.

"Almost a month." Moonbyul replies, being reminded that she wasn't really sure what day they actually made it official. Everything just kind of fell into place. Byul takes a mental note to work on that and that she should prepare a gift for Wheein soon.

"And how is she like as...?" Solar asks before she could stop herself.

She was curious what Wheein is like in a relationship since she's never seen her in one before. But she shouldn't have asked. She knows it wouldn't be good for her heart but Moonbyul was already answering her.

"She's still..." Byul trailed off, finding the right words to perfectly describe Wheein. "Wheein." she settled. They both know it was enough compliment. Wheein just being herself is one of the most beautiful things in the world. And that makes Yongsun even more down, in a way. "But she's a lot more expressive about how she feels." Moonbyul states.

"She still likes having her time alone, painting or writing songs." Moonbyul gladly tells Solar.

"You probably push her buttons and disturb her still." Solar jests.Solar remembers how she used to be annoyed when Moonbyul bothers her when she wants to be left alone, thinking about it now, sometimes Byul gets into her nerves but most of the time she secretly likes it and just pretends to be annoyed.

Moonbyul laughs, remembering how she always does that to Solar. Then she thinks about how rarely she does it to Wheein and how the short girl just laughs when she actually does bother her. "I give her her space, actually." she states.

"But you never do that." Yongsun says mindlessly.

"I just don't want to suffocate her with my greasiness." Moonbyul responds, that answer struck a chord to Solar.

Judging the way Moonbyul said it, she knew the impact it will have on Yongsun.

Moonbyul didn't intend to hurt Yongsun in any way, she simply wants Yongsun to know that she acknowledged her past mistakes; she knows she was over the top clingy and a little bit controlling; she's still not perfect but she's trying to be a better girlfriend and a better person.

"I see." Yongsun manages to say.

"Besides, you know how she is when she's mad; even though she still looks cute when she's mad, it's still hard to make peace with her, so she's basically the boss." Moonbyul narrates.

Yongsun don't know how Moonbyul can talk about Wheein nonstop. Sure Yongsun asked first, but she has to know that its a little bit uncomfortable for her to talk about Byul's current girlfriend. That's actually an understatement since she feels Moonbyul's every word as a stab on her chest and Moonbyul's smile as a bullet to her heart.

Surely she must have an idea since Yongsun is barely holding it together.

And as if on cue Moonbyul notices the smile Solar had on her face that almost resembles a frown.

"Anyway, how about you?" she contemplated if she was ready to hear Solar's answer but she still tries to change the subject, she never liked seeing Solar unhappy; she realized she must've overshared.

Moonbyul hesitates to ask; she's curious but she really didn't want to know since she's still upset at how quickly Solar replaced her.

Just thinking about Eric Nam gets Byul worked up, but she asks just to be fair."How are you and Eric? How long have you been together?"

Yongsun smiled, she couldn't believe Byul still really thinks that she replaced her with Eric.

"He was never my boyfriend." she answered, her tone was cold and distant, far from the friendly tone she was using earlier, as if to emphasize that Byul would've known that earlier if she listened in the first place, and Moonbyul clearly got the message.

Byul lets out a brief chuckle. She must've looked really silly for being so furious over nothing.

She was saved by the bell when she realized that they were already seconds away from Yongsun's apartment.


Moonbyul watched Yongsun as the girl enters her apartment, she really should be driving away now, but for the first time since their break up, Solar looks back and waves her hand at her with a smile.

She remembers all the times she would desperately look at Yongsun's back just to see her a little longer, praying to God that Yongsun would look back, and how she never did.

How Wheein has always been there beside her, holding her hand, trying to give her strength.

Wheein. Her current girlfriend.

She suddenly feels guilty for staying a little longer, and for being happy and relieved knowing that Yongsun was never in a relationship with Eric. But most of all she was guilty for feeling regretful, of thinking that maybe if she didn't blindly reacted so roughly, maybe they'd have a better chance of getting back together.

She shakes her head along with the thoughts that she shouldn't be thinking of. She takes one final look at Yongsun's apartment door before she drives off.


It seemed like a normal day for Wheein and Byul, except for the fact that Hyejin was on a date with Loco; so their apartment was a bit quieter than usual.

Wheein and Byul sat on the sofa watching Goblin -because as Hyejin told them; it was a must-watch series. They were in the middle of the series when Byul noticed that she hasn't been really watching the show, because most of the time, her eyes fall on Wheein instead.

Somehow Byul found it compelling to watch Wheein watch the show; how she looked really cute when her dimples protrude as she laughs when she find something funny, and then in under a matter of seconds she'd have a serious expression; too focused on the show, and Byul would find her too beautiful.

"Unnie, are you even watching? Do you want to watch something else?" Wheein asked, when Byul didn't seem to be invested on the show.

Byul would've shrugged Wheein's question and tell her that its nothing, but since it was just the two of them, Byul found it a great opportunity to talk to Wheein about something she's been meaning to ask.

Byul cleared , taking a deep breath as if she was about to say something very personal.

"What is it, unnie?" Wheein asked prompting Byul to tell her if something's bothering her, noticing the sudden change in Byul's demeanor.

"I think you need to tell me the truth about how you feel towards me." Byul blurted out, and Wheein felt like her heart just jumped out of her chest because of Byul's question.

Wheein's heart was beating so fast that her mind couldn't process any answer. Was she being too obvious? Wheein could swear whe was being extra careful not to spill out her feelings for Byul. She even tries to distance herself from Byul just to somehow take control of her feelings.

Is this the part where Byul starts to avoid her because she finds out the truth? 

"Are you avoiding me?" Byul asked, her tone unassuming, making Wheein both sigh in relief and furrowed her brows in confusion. "What do you mean, unnie? I'm right here watching the television with you." she replied, if it isn't about her romantic feelings for Byul, then Wheein isn't sure why Byul would think that she's avoiding her.

"You know what I mean." Byul replied, she noticed how Wheein would actively make sure that they weren't left alone, just this morning Byul even heard Wheein beg Hyejin to not leave her alone, and Hyejin telling Wheein that they have to talk about it sooner or later.

Byul wasn't sure if Wheein was feigning innocence or she doesn't really know what Byul meant because Wheein was genuinely confused.

"I heard you with Hyejin this morning." Byul stated.

Wheein flashing recognition on her features. "Oh...that."

"Look, I know I've been such a mess," Byul started, afraid that Wheein is finally fed up with her. "But I'm trying to be better, you know I'm not drinking as much now, and I don't go to bars without you or Hyejin, anymore." Byul explained, as if trying to convince Wheein not to hate her. The thought of Wheein getting tired of her was just too scary for Moonbyul.

Wheein's eyes turned soft, "Unnie..." she trailed off  to get Byul's attention. "I don't hate you." she replied with a gentle smile, Byul thinking that Wheein is even capable of hating her is beyond Wheein.

"Then why is it so bad that you'd be left alone with me that you'd have to beg Hyejin?" Byul asked, a little hesitant to believe Wheein's words, and rightfully so; it probably wasn't the nicest thing to hear without context.

"I can't tell you." Wheein replied, as much as she doesn't want to Byul to think she hates her, she's not ready to confess to Byul how she really felt about her.

"Why not?" Byul asked, like a kicked puppy. At this point Wheein's a little frustrated at how oblivious Byul is about her feeling for her.

"Because..." Wheein trailed off, finding the right words to ease Byul's worry without spilling her heart out...but failing to do so. "I just- you just have to trust me that I don't hate you, okay?" Wheein replied.

But Byul is clearly not satisfied with her answer. She's done with people not telling her how they feel about her. Yongsun broke up with her, without her having an idea about it. It left her off guard, without having the chance to fix things; she didn't want to lose a friend because of the same reason; she's done being left in the dark.

"Wheein, that's not enough. You have to tell me things, especially what you feel about me because otherwise I'd think of the worst thing possible." Byul's voice cracked even though she tried to be as calm as possible.

Wheein found it impossible not to put Byul's mind at ease, but she was still having reservations whether Byul could handle the truth. She wonders if its better for Byul to think that Wheein hates her. "If you knew how I feel about you…” she doesn't think she could do it. Her voice trembled with fear as she stumbled back a step, flustered.

And as if a light switched on, recognition registered on Byul's eyes. Memories of Wheein looking at her and smiling at her ever so softly, flashed her mind. She took a step forward, grabbing Wheeins hands in hers, holding Wheein's gaze. "Tell me." she said gently, encouragingly.

There was no doubt in Wheein's mind that Byul finally knows now. Byul's gentle touch silently telling her that its okay. Byul just wanted to hear it from her. Wheein just have to find the right words to say it. “The only way I can make my feelings any clearer is by kissing you.”

Silence.

"Then do it." Byul says just above a whisper.

Its now or never. Wheein thinks before placing a hand on the back of Byul's neck, pulling her down to make up for her lack of height.

Byul lets the kiss linger for several blissful moments before she breaks away to whisper in Wheein's ear. "Is this your way of saying you love me?" Byul asks without waiting for Wheein to answer. She then gently placed her hand at Wheein's nape and the other at Wheein's waist, drawing her closer. "Because I love you too." she continued.

Wheein couldn't believe her ears. Her eyes were so wide as she searched for any trace of insincerity on Byul's eyes, and when she didn't find any, her expression calms. She smiled widely at Byul, biting her lips as she finally allows herself to be excited to what Byul had just confessed to her. 

"I love you." Byul repeats, and Wheein have to admit to herself that she still took Byul's words with a grain of salt. Wheein knows how much Byul still loves Yongsun, so she wonders just how much Byul meant when she told Wheein she loves her...still, Byul meant it enough; she shouldn't deny herself of celebrating the fact that Byul loves her.

"I love you more." Wheein replies confidently, repeating the words 'I love you' a hundred times after as if to make up for the times she held herself back.

And when it seemed like Wheein was done telling Byul she loved her, Byul lifted her hand to Wheein's chin, tilting it upward to renew the kiss.


Wheein just finished preparing their lunch meal when she walked over to Moonbyul who was rested at the sofa; her eyes are directed at the television but her mind seemed to be somewhere else.

"You seem quiet." Wheein points out, noticing how uncharacteristically quiet her girlfriend is, considering that she's supposed to be watching a comedic show. 

"What?" Byul asks as she sat straight, snapping out of her reverie.

Wheein shakes her head as she sits on Moonbyul's lap, and Moonbyul, out of habit, buries her face on the side of Wheein's neck.

"How are the two of you?" Wheein asks softly. She assume that is what's on Moonbyul's mind. But she didn't mind. She's really just curious how the two acted towards each other.

Moonbyul had told her about driving Solar home, something about that information made her a bit worried but the fact that Byul told her about it, at least reassured her that she has nothing to worry about.

"Huh?" Moonbyul asks almost defensively, wondering what Wheein meant with her question.

"You and Yongsun-unnie." Wheein specified. "Were you able to finish the song?" she asks without a trace of judgement, trying hard not to sound too curious.

"Not yet." Moonbyul answers. "But, the rest of the process will be easy since CEO Kim already gave us a concept and we already have guidelines to follow." Byul elaborated.

"That's good." Wheein smiled.

Of course she's happy with the song. She's sure a lot of people will like it, and for that, Wheein's happy for her girlfriend. But thinking about the time the two will have to spend together to make the song, Wheein would be lying if she says she's not even a bit insecure about it.

When they got together, Moonbyul asked her to be open about how they feel about each other so they can easily identify the problem and work it out.

That's why she didn't have any problem sounding relieved hearing her girlfriend's answer. "That's good. That means you'll finish sooner." Wheein says honestly.

Wheein then felt Moonbyul nod against her neck, the older girl knows the concerns that her girlfriend have. And she can't blame Wheein for that, considering her history with Yongsun. Moonbyul then, envelopes her arms around Wheein's waist, as if to reassure her that she has nothing to worry about.

Wheein smiles at the gesture and turns her head to face Moonbyul, she looks at Moonbyul for a while taking in her beauty, "I love you."

It wasn't the first time she said it, but something about it felt like its a pivotal part in their relationship and whatever will be Moonbyul's response is a big deal.

Moonbyul meets her eyes and smiles at her in return and then the older girl proceeded to kissing one side of her shoulder before saying "I love you." back.

On normal days, it would've caused Wheein's heart to melt, but even though Moonbyul did it ever so subtly, she knew Moonbyul kissed her shoulder to intentionally avert her gaze, as if she's guilty about saying it back.

But Wheein shakes the thought off of her mind. Its a special day for them after all, she should only be thinking of happy thoughts. "By the way..." she says as she stands up.

"Wait here." Wheein said before vanishing to their now shared room, returning with a framed painting in hand.

She sits beside Moonbyul and gives the painting to her.

It was a an illustration of a star-filled night sky with the wind breezing...

When Moonbyul took a closer look she realized that there was a poem written in the right side.

"It's a part of the song lyrics that I wrote for you." Wheein said shyly. It was originally just a scribble she wrote on her pad during the times that her feelings were still left hidden.

On a tired and sleepy night

I want you even in my dreams

Even if it's just one second a day

Stay by my side

Stay with me

"Baaaabe." Moonbyul cooed. "It's beautiful." She says in awe, "Can i hear it?" Moonbyul asked, beaming at her girlfriend, excited at the thought that a song was written for her.

"I'm saving the music for our second monthsary." Wheein replied, laughing at herself for assuming that they'd even celebrate a second monthsary.

She suddenly remembered she haven't even greeted her girlfriend, "Happy Monthsary." Wheein says, kissing her girlfriend's cheek.

Moonbyul looked taken aback.

Wheein assumed that Moonbyul forgot. She wanted to believe that Byul just isn't one to celebrate monthsaries; its not really compulsary.  But then she remembers all the times her and Hyejin helps Moonbyul to arrange a surprise for Yongsun on their Monthsaries.

Wheein smiles understandingly as she held Moonbyul's hand. "You forgot, didn't you?"

Her heart sank a little, but she understands that Moonbyul might have a lot on her plate right now. Its just a monthsary. A lot of people don't even celebrate them.

Moonbyul smiled apologetically, wrapping her arms around her girlfriend for a few seconds before pulling away.

"Byul!" Wheein squealed when she saw that her girlfriend was already holding out a box.

Moonbyul beamed at her, proud of herself that she remembered their monthsary. She felt triumphant seeing how happy Wheein is. She opened the box revealing a bracelet with a moon and star pendant.

Wheein placed both her hands on , trying to contain the excitement and happiness that she's feeling. All her worries were suddenly pushed aside, seeing the gift that Byul prepared for her.

"So that you'd be reminded that I'm always here for you and so that you can keep me close to your heart." Moonbyul stated, explaining the meaning of her gift, which made Wheein tear up. "Happy Monthsary."

Byul reached out for her hand, helping Wheein wear the bracelet she gave to her girlfriend. "Do you like it?" She asks, worried that her gift wasn't special enough, considering that Wheein probably put a lot of effort and time for her gift.

Wheein playfully rolls her eyes. She thinks its silly that Moonbyul have to ask, as if she wouldn't like anything that's from Byul. "I love it. Thank you."

"No." Moonbyul argues. "Thank you." She beamed a smile at Wheein. "For guiding me when I felt so lost."

Wheein's tears finally escaped her eyes, they were flowing freely and continuously. Before a month ago she was just dreaming of having Moonbyul as her girlfriend, and now she's actually living it.

She reminisces the nights she cried herself to sleep, feeling helpless about her feelings for Byul, and now she got Byul to wipe away her tears.

"Wheein-ah. Don't cry please." Byul requests, seeing Wheein cry so hard makes her want to cry to, and right now she just really want to see Wheein's smile.

"Sorry." Wheein says as she tries to stop, "I'm really just happy to be with you." She states.

She hates how she feels like she owe the world something whenever she's this happy, but at the moment she couldn't care less. She felt as secure as Byul's hold on her.

Its unfair maybe, how obvious it was that Wheein loved Moonbyul more than Moonbyul loved her. But at that moment, seeing Wheein that happy, Moonbyul promised herself that she'll work hard to be worthy of Wheein's love.

"I love you." She says again, hoping that one day, when she says it again, Wheein's answer will be 'I know' and not a grateful smile as if she's doing Wheein a favor by saying it, because really, Moonbyul might not be sure of a lot of things right now but she's damn sure she loves Wheein.


 


"Why did you throw this away?" Hyejin asks Solar looking at the piece of paper she recently threw away.

Solar asked her to come to her place to have her inputs on her self written lyrics, which is really convenient for her knowing that Wheein and Moonbyul would love to have the apartment by themselves that day.

"There's something missing." Solar replied while she's busy scribbling down ideas and one line lyrics.

"This one too." Hyejin points out after reading one of the crumpled papers that's scattered on her unnie's table. "This is good."

"It doesn't suit the concept of the song." Solar replied continuing her work.

Hyejin raises her eyebrow as realization hit her.

"Aren't you trying too hard to impress Byul-unnie?" the maknae asks.

Solar finally stopped writing and turned her swiveling chair to face her friend. "Hey... I'm not trying hard to impress her." she denies sternly.

"If you say so." Hyejin shrugs dismissively, not convinced with Solar's statement.

Yongsun sighs, sounding defeated. "Am I that obvious?"

"Uhmmm." Hyejin scrunches her nose, both of them already knowing the answer.

They both laughed at how silly Yongsun is, Hyejin is a little bit relieved knowing that they can still take the situation lightly.

But they both know it meant trouble.

Yongsun admitting that she wants to impress Moonbyul meant that there's still feelings lingering there, and that was really expected. Everybody who's close to them never really expected the two of them to move on so quickly. Even Wheein knew that.

And if it were any other case, where in Moonbyul's new girlfriend is some random girl and not Wheein, Hyejin would've no doubt aggressively helped her Yongsun unnie deal with her problem, but its Wheein.

She's never seen Wheein as happy as when Moonbyul said she loved her back for the first time. She can't possibly take that away from her best friend.

And she definitely can't let anyone take that away from her best friend either; even if its her unnie.

But she's never seen her unnie as miserable as when she found out that Moonbyul unnie is dating their best friend Wheein. And she can't stand seeing her members sad.

Yongsun tried to get back to her writing but she was too distracted by her thoughts. Yongsun groans, slumping at her chair.

"Unnie." Hyejin started.

"What am I supposed to do?" She asks, but she wasn't really expecting an answer from Hyejin. How she wish things would've been different. 

"I still love her." She confessed with resignation. "I never stopped and I feel selfish for still feeling this way." Yongsun declares, trying her best to hold her tears.

Wheein supported their relationship all this time, so why can't Solar do the same now? She really wants to, and she really wished she could.

But whenever she tries she feel like she's pointing a gun at her own heart. She feels like she's hostaging her feelings.

Hyejin nodded, understanding why their leader made the decisions she did. She pities her for having to do such things.

Korea isn't really an open minded country.

Yongsun just did what she thinks was best for all of them. It must've been hard for her especially since her own family didn't approve of her and Byul's relationship.

And Hyejin would be lying if she says that she doesn't worry about Wheein and Byul's relationship. Sure, right now they're fine being in their own little world, but when the time comes, when their relationship reaches the point where Solar and Moonbyul's relationship reached; its either they break up or Mamamoo will have to take their final bow.

That's how it will most likely end for them, considering how the general public in Korea is.

But still...Yongsun made a decision.

And as much as Hyejin wants to help her, she herself didn't know how.

"Unnie. I wish I know what to say." Hyejin sighs.

"Can you just give me a hug?" Yongsun asks so softly yet so desperately.

Hyejin stands up to give their leader a hug, her heart ached when she felt her shirt  become wet by Yongsun's tears.

It finally sunk in to Hyejin just how messy the predicament she's in is. She concludes that in situation like this, all she can really do is let them fix their own problems and just be there for her friends whatever happens.



A/N:

One of you said that it would have been nice knowing how they got together and who made the first step? I hope I delivered well.

Thank you for reading!