Comeback/Come Back

Its You All Along

Everyone was excited about Mamamoo's comeback as a four act after a year-long hiatus.

All of the girls' solo careers soared high as they showcased their individual charms on producing music and releasing their solo albums; hit after hit.

Hwasa have been in demand for commercial deals, and have worked with a lot of artists throughout the year due to her song collaborations, and tv guestings.

Yongsun, on the other hand, has been busy with her concert tour all over South Korea, and managing to bag a supporting role in a television series.

And as for Wheein, well, her solo album is filled with melancholic songs, that, as some of the fans say, 'would strum your emotional heartstrings', and it made her voice in demand for official soundtracks on television dramas.

Not having Moonbyul around didn't hinder Mamamoo from attending school festivals as a group.

The three of them would still perform at local festivals, with both their solos and Mamamoo's old songs, and they would always laugh at how the fans turn wild whenever Byul's voice would play through the speaker for her rap part.

Sure, Wheein, Hwasa, and Solar continued to produce new music after Moonbyul's departure, but it just wasn't the same for most of the fans.

So when the people heard the news of Byul returning to South Korea, everyone was excited.

But Moonbyul doesn't think there is anyone that could be more excited than her.

On her flight back to South Korea, she played Yongsun and Wheein's sub-unit song on repeat.

It actually charted well; part of it was probably because of the whole fiasco revolving around the song that made it even more appealing for the general public.


It was the first legitimate dating controversy from Mamamoo, but unlike what majority of the fandom expected, it wasn't actually between Moonbyul and Yongsun...

Affectionate photos of Wheein and Moonbyul hinting at what seems definitely more than a regular friendship, started circulating on the internet, just a month after Byul flied to Japan.

One was a low quality photo of Byul and Wheein hugging inside Byul's car.

And the other one was a photo of the two in a secluded restaurant somewhere in Busan; Byul was seen holding up Wheein's chin, as if she's about to kiss Wheein, while her other hand was interlaced with Wheein's.

Some fans believe there was something between the two, and some say that they are just really close friends.

There have been conspiracy theories that Wheein's sad songs were actually inspired by Byul's departure, speculating that the two dated for a while and had broken up. Some claim that Wheein is still in a relationship with Byul, while others think otherwise; convinced that Yongsun and Byul definitely had more proofs that they dated or are still dating.

Mamamoo's management immediately released an official statement denying the issue, with Wheein and Byul's permission.

But it didn't stop the general public from talking about it. So when Yongsun and Wheein released a sub-unit song entitled "Angel", everyone had their fair share of opinions about the underlying meaning of the song.



It was right after their meeting with their CEO about the issue regarding Byul and Wheein's pictures that Yongsun had the courage to confront Wheein. It's not like Wheein had made her feel like they weren't on speaking terms; in fact, Wheein acts as if the whole thing with Byul didn't even happen. And for a while Yongsun played along and pretended as if nothing happened, because she thought that it was Wheein's way to cope with the situation. But ignoring the problem doesn't make it go away, and so when the news broke, Yongsun didn't hesitate to address the issue.

Everyone in the meeting room left except for Yongsun, Wheein and Hyejin.

Hyejin noticed how Yongsun kept on stealing glances at Wheein during the meeting. She knew that their leader was probably anticipating to talk to Wheein regarding the issue at hand. And like the good maknae that she is, she excuses herself; giving Yongsun and Wheein an opportunity to talk privately.

"Wheein-ah." Yongsun calls out just before Wheein could leave the room to follow Hyejin.

Wheein was a bit startled at the abruptness of Yongsun's call. "Yes, unnie?" Yongsun looked nervous, making Wheein feel nervous as well.

Yongsun stood up from her chair and took a step closer to Wheein. "I just..." she hesitates whether it was a good time to bring up the issue. "Are you okay?" Yongsun cringed at her own question; Wheein was obviously not okay despite the brave smile that's plastered across her face.

"I could be better." Wheein replied, and Yongsun was taken aback at the honesty that Wheein gave her. "But it's nothing I can't handle." she reassures their leader.

Yongsun didn't expect Wheein to be so honest about it, so she didn't know what to tell Wheein now. "Is it really okay for the management to release a statement denying your relationship with Byul?" she asks carefully.

Wheein chuckles. "I don't see why it should be a big deal. We broke up." Wheein states. "It doesn't matter to me if people found out the truth or not. What matters is that it is real to me; I know that there was a time that she loved me." she states matter-of-factly.

Yongsun could hear the pain in Wheein's voice, but there was also peace. And Wheein did look at peace, regardless of how she really felt. "But if ever...i'll support your decision if you wanted to adm-" 

Wheein shakes her head before Yongsun could finish. "Unnie, if Byul and I were still together and the pictures surfaced, I would've gladly admitted it. Even if the management would like me to deny it- I would've fought them and tell the public the truth. But we're not. And she's not even here." Wheein states. "Admitting it now would just cause more damage than the fulfilment it would bring to tell the whole world that the girl I loved for so long, loved me back, even just for a while." she reasons.

Wheein understands why Yongsun might feel like denying her past relationship with Byul might affect their leader this much. Mamamoo might receive an overwhelming backlash if ever she decided to confirm it. But Yongsun didn't look like she was concerned about that despite herself. In fact, she looks like she was genuinely concerned with how Wheein was feeling at the moment, as if she could care less about what other people would say.

"Wheein-ah. I'm sorry." It was an apology that was long overdue; it wasn't because Yongsun didn't feel the need to apologize, it was simply because Yongsun didn't have enough courage to acknowledge everything that happened.

"Are you the one who leaked the pictures, unnie?" Wheein shot her a puzzled look, but her tone was playful, obviously trying to shrug their conversation to a different direction.

"Wheein-ah. You know what I'm apologizing for." Yongsun replied, adamant to address the issue at hand. She looks down in embarassment because she wasn't used to have such a serious conversation with Wheein. They used to have such a carefree dynamic; they used to fool around all the time every chance they get. Yongsun feels responsible for ruining that.

When Wheein sighed so heavily, Yongsun almost wanted to crawl back to her shell; thinking that it was a bad timing to address the issue, after all.

"Yongsun-ssi." Wheein starts, her voice is gentle, as if trying not to scare Yongsun away. "It was my choice too." she states. Wheein doesn't understand why Yongsun would feel responsible for how things ended up, but Wheein knows that she thinks that way; so she tries to assure her that it wasn't completely Yongsun's fault.

"I couldn't blame you for wanting Byul back. I know how much you love her." Wheein reasons, she lets out a breathy chuckle. "I should be the one apologizing." she continues, "It happened so fast, that I couldn't stop myself when I saw a chance to be with her. I didn't stop to think of what you'd feel-" Wheen stops mid-sentence, shaking her head. "No, I did stop and think about you; I know you still loved her then. But I was selfish, and I made a conscious decision to pursue my feelings for her; regardless of what you'd feel."

"Wheein, stop." Yongsun demands. She won't let Wheein take the blame for what happened. Yongsun made a choice to let Byul go; if it wasn't Wheein, it could've been some other girl; no one should be held responsible for whatever happened but herself. "I know that you loved her for so long." Yongsun states. She couldn't imagine how hard it must've been for Wheein to keep her feelings all to herself for so long. She couldn't blame Wheein for wanting to be with Byul.

Wheein looks up at her. "You do?" she asks. Yongsun never gave her the impression that she knew about it.

Yongsun smiles softly, "I wasn't sure before, but- I mean, your relationship with Byul pretty much confirmed that I have been right all along." she states.

Wheein sighs. "But that's all in the past now, right?" she hopefully asks, she doesn't see any use in reliving the past. She didn't regret the decisions that she made. Her heart has always been stubborn.

Yongsun frowns, "I can't just brush off the fact that I've hurt you, Wheein-ah."

Wheein shakes her head, "I know I've hurt you too. So I guess we can call it quitts now."

"Wheein-" Yongsun stops when she felt Wheein's fingers against her lips.

"Yongsun-ssi, I'm just tired right now." Wheein admits. "I know things aren't the same as before, but we can fix it right?" it was more of a statement rather than a question.

And Yongsun smiles, nodding her head in full confidence. "Of course, we will."

Yongsun was taken aback when she felt Wheein's arms wrapped around her waist, that it took her a second reciprocate the embrace. A smile crept on her face as Wheein tightens the hug.

"I missed you." they both said in unison, just in time for Yongsun to see Hyejin watching them with a content smile on her face.


Yongsun was blasting 'Selfish' on their practice room as she was waiting for Wheein and Hyejin to arrive. Her lips formed a faint smile as she reminisce how Byul and her worked together for the song. She wonders how long she would have to wait just to hear Byul's voice in person again.

"That's a beautiful song." Yongsun's heart beat faster as soon as she heard a familiar voice, one she could recognize at any given time.

Yongsun didn't waste time to look at where the voice was coming from, she beamed a smile even before she could see that it was indeed Moonbyul.

"Do you know who the singer is?" Byul asked teasingly.

Yongsun didn't answer right away, still overwhelmed by Byul's presence. "Yeah." she finally answers, deciding to play along.

"Really?" Moonbyul smiles, "Well, do you happen to know if she's free for coffee?"  Byul asks, her eyes never leaving Yongsun's face. "I want to tell her about my trip on Japan."

"When?" Yongsun inquires.

"Right now." Byul quickly replies. "Do you think she's free?" she asked with a hopeful yet playful smile.

Yongsun playfully checks the time before answering, "Yeah, I think so." she answers casually, even though it was obvious right from the start that she's going to make time for Byul at any given time.

Byul nods with a smile on her face, "How about dinner? Do you think she's free until dinner?"

Yongsun raises her eyebrow.

"I've been gone for a year." Byul states. "I have a lot of things to say, escpecially the fact that I missed her so much."

Yongsun has a different feeling when Byul said that she has a lot to say. She wanted to feel hopeful for what Byul has to say but the smile on Byul's face was telling her a different story. She can already sense the impending pain that Byul's words hide. She wish she could say that she didn't saw it coming, but it was so obvious in their prior conversations on the phone.

They've been together for too long that they didn't need words to know what's about to happen.

"I think she'd love that." Yongsun replies. "I bet she'd love to have dinner with you tonight..." she smiles. And the night after that, and the night after that. Yongsun thinks.

Byul smirks. But her eyes were full of sadness for the promises she couldn't keep.

It was so different from the last time they personally talked. This time everything was so definite.

Byul obviously made up her mind, and it wasn't in Yongsun's favor.

"You're not leaving anymore?" Yongsun asks. At least, she'd have Byul in her life, even as just a friend.

"Never again." Byul promises. "I'd always stay with you, forever and ever." she declares, repeating the promise she made to Yongsun on their third anniversary.

Yongsun tries to force a smile but she just couldn't  pretend anymore. They both know that some promises are meant to be broken. And it was so heartbreaking that that includes their promise of forever.

Byul takes both Yongsun's hands in hers, looking directly at Yongsun with an apology refelecting in her eyes. "I'm sorry."

Both their eyes were full of guilt and regret.

Byul's hold on Yongsun's hand was the only thing from keeping Yongsun from breaking down. She really hopes that they'd get their second chance.

"I'm really so-" Byul was about to say another apology but Yongsun interrupts her. Its not what Yongsun wanted to hear from her.

"Please, don't..." Yongsun pleads, looking at Byul but quickly looking away because of the heaviness of her stare. She's trying to hold her tears as much as she could.

"Yongsun..." Byul called, tilting Yongsun's face in her direction. "I never got to thank you."

Yongsun furrows her eyebrows together in confusion, her mind didn't understand but somehow her heart did.

"Thank you for letting me go." Byul clarifies.

At this time, Yongsun's at the edge of her limit; it felt like she's about to break into pieces.

"Byul, let's fix this." Yongsun pleads before she could stop herself.

But Byul's silence was deafening.

Yongsun lets the waterworks flow. "Can't we at least try again?" Yongsun wanted so bad to bring back what they had -what they lost.

Yongsun didn't hear an answer from Byul, but she felt wrapped around her arms securely.

"Yongsun...don't." Byul whispers against her ear before kissing the top of her head. "We already had our chance."

Byul cups Yongsun's cheeks after pulling away from the embrace. She searched Yongsun's eyes. "You were strong enough to let go of me once...I hope you'd find it in you to let go of me completely."

What was Yongsun supposed to say after that?

She wasn't sure, in fact, she didn't have words to form any response. She kept quiet.

Yongsun couldn't define exactly what she was feeling. She didn't feel like her heart breaking wasn't an accurate term, maybe her heart is grieving. Because the last time, her heart got broken because Byul left, and she could hope that Byul would come back...but this time, this time, it felt like she has no choice but to accept that Byul can't come back, because it seemed like the part of Byul that was in love with Yongsun is now gone.




A/N:

This is a moonsun centric angst just because. Haha

The wheebyul part would have to come later. That moonsun angst was too much for me to write. I hope you understand. uwu

I'll try my best to make it worth the wait.