Goodbye Kiss

Its You All Along

"So that's it?" Wheein asks, startling a sneaking Byul, freezing her to her spot at the middle of their living room.

Moonbyul wanted to leave their apartment and stay at their hometown for a while before her flight since their promotion has ended. She talked to Hyejin about it, but she didn't know where her and Wheein stand, so she's not sure how to approach the girl, hence why she's sneaking out in midnight.

"I know two months is short...but don't you think I deserve a proper goodbye?" Wheein asks, her facial features as sharp as a knife, as she clenched her jaw.

"Wheein-" Byul was about to explain herself, but Wheein didn't give her a chance to.

"First, you told Hyejin to ask my permission about your plan, not bothering to ask me personally, then you go sneaking in the middle of the night- to what? Avoid me? Were you even planning to talk to me at all?" Wheein demands an answer judging by the way she sounded and the way she looked at Byul.

Wheein is mad, and Moonbyul is confused as to why she feels happy about it.

Maybe part of it was because it reminded her of how they would have petty fights and how Wheein looked cute when she's mad, but mostly because Wheein have always put her first.

Even when Wheein's mad, Byul could feel like she's holding back, as if, if she gets too angry she'd lose Byul.

And now she's not holding back anymore...

"Are you really just going to stand there and ignore me?" Wheein huffs in disbelief, snapping Byul out of her reverie.

"I didn't know how to talk to you." Byul admits. "I want to - of course - but...I feel so ashamed for hurting you." she confesses, looking at the ground because of the guilt that's still clouding her heart.

"You don't have to." Wheein replies in a much gentler tone. "I entered a relationship with you, because I love you." Byul was taken aback at how easy it was for Wheein to say it, but she really shouldn't be, because love doesn't always just stop at the end of a relationship . "I know what I was getting into. So no, I'm not mad at you." Wheein reassures Moonbyul, although saying that she can't would've been a more accurate term.

"You should be." Byul replies almost automatically.

She knows right from the start, that Wheein was her rebound. They both know it. Byul couldn't have possibly moved on from Yongsun that easily; but Byul hoped -just as much as Wheein- that Byul would learn to love her.

And she did. God knows she did.

But it didn't seem like she loved her enough.

Wheein shakes her head, taking Byul's hand in hers. "I'm the one who got tired. I thought I could bear the pain as long as we're together, but I couldn't see you pretend like everything's fine while your heart still have its bruises. I couldn't stand how I couldn't do anything about it."

And its not like Wheein could hate Moonbyul even if she tried.

For months, Wheein has been patient with her. The younger girl never pressured her on moving on. She was just...there; always available when Byul needed her. And yes, maybe Wheein didn't completely heal her wounds, but she made the pain bearable for Byul and the rapper couldn't thank her enough for that.

It was Moonbyul's turn to shake her head. "You deserve so much better."

And Wheein almost laughs because who ever said she wanted someone better? All she ever wanted was- is Byul; that should be the end of it, but the world proved to her that that's not how life works.

"I wanted you though." the words escaped Wheein's lips.

"You might not believe me, but I wanted us to last; I wanted you to be it for me." Byul smiled sadly, "But I realized that maybe I'm not the one you need." Byul really tried to be better to deserve Wheein, but it didn't seem like it was ever enough.

"I'm starting to believe that too." Wheein answered truthfully. It's starting to make sense to her that maybe the reason why the universe let them be together is for her to be enlightened that Byul isn't the one for her.

"You're going to find that person, Wheein-ah." Byul tries to reassure her.

Wheein smiles and shakes her head again, "You make it sound like I'm looking for the one." Wheein comments; she's not. "I was never searching for someone to love. I was contented and happy being by myself." she states. "But I guess life had different plans and I stumbled upon love in the form of you."

Moonbyul couldn't help but smile at the purity of how Wheein said it. It was a genuine statement that matched Wheein's content smile, that for the first time, made Moonbyul's heart feel light without the guilt nagging on her for the possibility of not being enough for Wheein.

"I'm going to be fine." Wheein promises; to herself more than to Byul. "It might take some sleepless nights, but I'll eventually get over this sadness." she states placing a hand on Byul's cheek.

Byul leans in at her touch. "I'm sorry."

Wheein wanted to say that she's sorry too. She's sorry that they didn't work out. She's sorry that they didn't last like she hoped for.

But more than being sorry, she was thankful.

And so she shakes her head, "No." she disagreed. "You don't have to be sorry. We both tried our best." Wheein replies, acknowledging Byul's efforts. Wheein acknowledges now that they both gave it their best.

They need to stop blaming themselves for something that just couldn't be helped if they wanted to heal. 

No matter how Wheein waited for it for so long, no matter how hard they triedif something doesn't fit; it just won't. 

"Our relationship might be short-lived but it was my happiest moment." Wheein declared. "So please don't be sorry for something that made me feel such joy." she proposed. 

Next thing they know, Byul was crying.

She thought she'll leave Korea with a heavy heart of knowing that she broke the very person who helped her heal.

But Wheein's right in front of her, wiping away her tears, giving her forgiveness- no- telling her that there's nothing to forgive.

Byul didn't even know where to start. She couldn't articulate how grateful she is for Wheein, for having the chance to experience the beautiful person that she is. All her thoughts, everything that she wanted to say, a 'Thank you' summed it all up.

"Thank you, Wheein." Byul said gratefully as tears flow from her eyes. She didn't have to elaborate it; Wheein understands.

"Thank you too." Wheein doesn't know if her tears dried out from crying too much since their break-up, she's just glad she isn't crying.

"Wheein-ah..." Byul trailed off, contemplating whether she should continue what she's about to say but then deciding to proceed. "I love you." 

Wheein smiled, before her tears finally came rolling down, and this time it was Byul's turn to wipe away her tears.

It's funny how she could easily believe Byul's words now, in contrast to when they were still in a relationship. Maybe its because this time there's no reason for Byul to say it, no obligation, no pressure, but she still said it; because she meant it.

Wheein recognizes that Byul didn't say it in hopes of getting back with her.

Byul said it so Wheein knows. So Wheein believes so.

And Wheein nods her head in acknowledgment causing Byul to smile with contentment.

"Byul?" Wheein asks reluctantly after a while. "When we broke up I- there's one thing I regret not doing."

Byul tilts her head. "Do you regret not giving me my monthsary gift?" Byul jested, hoping its not to soon to crack her joke. In her defense, she really wanted to hear the complete version of Wheein's song dedicated to her like she was promised.

Wheein almost rolls her eyes at Byul for ruining the moment, but finds comfort at Byul's awkward and hesitant chuckle. "No. Not that."

"Then what?" Byul asks.

Wheein placed her hands on Byul's shoulders and proceeded to tiptoe to level with Byul's height, leaning in but then stopping right before her lips reaches Byul's. Her eyes searched for Byul's as she asks for consent.

Moonbyul's breath hitched as she gave Wheein permission.

The kiss was brief, but it didn't lack the passion they used to have. It was sweet and pure.

And none of them were crying.

There's still pain...in both their hearts. They recognize that it won't magically disappear with a single conversation or a single kiss. But they both acknowledge the fact that time would help them understand why they didn't work out for now.


It was a day after Moonbyul's flight. She was at her rented apartment in Japan, eating her lunch while watching- listening to a kpop music station when she heard a very familiar voice.

Your shadow, your back
I’m used to it
My days draw you again
They’re long and repetitive

At your small kind acts
My trembling feelings overflow
But I’m waiting for a chance
Behind you

The spot you passed
It’s lonely but I want you more
Even your warm scent
As if you just passed by

On a tired and sleepy night
I want you even in my dreams
Even if it’s just one second a day
Stay by my side

Stay with me

Moonbyul almost spat the coffee she was drinking when she realized that it was the song...

Waiting through this long season
I’m used to it
My heart looking at you
Why does it hurt so much?

It was their song...

I’m emptying myself
and filling up with you
But it’s hard to have your heart

The spot you passed
It’s lonely but I want you more
Even your warm scent
As if you just passed by

On a tired and sleepy night
I want you even in my dreams
Even if it’s just one second a day
Stay by my side

I’m not there in your world
I know this too well
My heart is getting weaker
It’s filling up with worries about you
Like this

The spot you passed
It’s lonely but I want you more
Even your warm scent
As if you just passed by

On a tired and sleepy night
I want you even in my dreams
Even if it’s just one second a day
Stay by my side

It was the song that Wheein promised her. The song that was supposed to be a gift for her.

...And now it's Wheein's gift for the world.



A/N:

Fun fact: I'm constantly listening to Jung Wheein's Shadow everytime I write a Wheebyul centric chapter. Haha