Someone New

Its You All Along

CHAPTER 3



When Yongsun arrived at Irene and Seulgi's cafe the red velvet girls along with Hyejin and Wheein were gathered in a circle, they seemed too absorbed about something that they didn't even notice she arrived.

"You look cute together." she heard Yeri say as she walks over to them.

"Moonbyul looks genuinely happy." Yong heard Seulgi note.

Hearing her girlf- ex-girlfriend's name immediately sparked her interest.

"What are you guys looking at?" she asks as she looks at them expectantly, they all looked like they have seen a ghost which ticked her off in a wrong way because it meant that whatever they were looking at, they probably didn't want Solar to see, which is exactly why Yongsun became more curious.

"What's that?" she asks Wheein, noticing that they were looking at Wheein's phone.

"Oh, just my photos from the solo project I've been working on, Yongsun-ssi." Wheein replies, and Yongsun can see right through her lie.

"Moonbyul looks genuinely happy."

She wanted to think that Wheein is telling her the truth; that it was just photos of her, but her instincts were telling her otherwise. Her stomach feels hollow. At the back of her mind she's telling herself to just pretend its nothing, let her believe that its nothing, but her curiosity got the best of her.

It has something to do with Byul and she wanted to know what it is.

"Can I see?" Solar asks, smiling as if her nerves weren't on edge, extending her hand, asking Wheein to give her the phone.

Wheein gives it to her with ease, she guessed that was a good sign, but she can feel that the other girls were watching her as they hold their breaths; that's not a good sign.

"You look cute together."

Could it really be possible? Yongsun didn't like what she's thinking, but her intuition tells her that there's a big chance that she might be right.

Yongsun knew that Wheein's been crushing on Moonbyul for a long time; she knows because she sees the way Wheein looks at Moonbyul at times, she just didn't know to what extent. She let it slip off her mind thinking its just admiration. She didn't like to think too much to it.

She remembers having petty fights with Byul when she gets jealous of Wheein sometimes.

She takes a deep breath before looking at the photo, her shoulders relax when she sees a photo of Wheein with Sik-k, but there's still doubt in her mind so she slides the screen to the next picture.

Wheein stands beside their leader to see the pictures that she's looking at but Yongsun hides it from her.

"Unnie..." she laughs nervously, "why are you hiding my photos from me?" she asks even though she had a pretty good idea on why.

Then she sees Solar's eyes widen a bit, it looked like she just dissociated. The frown on her face tells Wheein that Solar saw what she shouldn't have seen.

Turns out, Solar wasn't really being petty all those times she gets annoyed at Moonbyul for being too close to Wheein; she remembers Moonbyul saying that she's being unreasonable, that Wheein's not even an option.

She laughs at how ridiculous that sounds now.

Its possible that they are just good friends who look cute together, that Moonbyul looks genuinely happy because she's with her close friend Wheein. Yongsun desperately want to believe that but right in front of her is a picture of Moonbyul with her hand on Wheein's left cheek and her lips on the right. She felt the urge to slide to another picture but she didn't know if her heart can take to see more.

"Unnie-" Wheein started but Solar cut her off.

"Moonbyul looks happy." Yongsun smiles, she's genuinely happy to see her star that happy, but in the pit of her stomach and in the pit of her soul she feels a dull ache knowing that it wasn't her anymore that's making Moonbyul happy.

Wheein knows its a question rather than a statement, her unnie didn't have the guts to ask her directly but she knows what she meant by it so she nods, looking at the floor to avoid making eye contact with Solar.

"That's good." Solar managed to say, even though were growing dry by the second. "How long?" she asks, putting on a smile even though all of them knew how she must've felt inside.

"Unnie, I didn't...I don't know how to tell you." Wheein looked genuinely sorry, and Solar really wanted to say that its okay, she wanted to make it light and joke about how three months have passed any way.

But it wasn't okay for her. She wasn't okay.

At least Solar thinks it was after three months, since Moonbyul emphasized to her the 'three month rule'.

She didn't know why she even asked, she really wasn't even curious when it started, what matters is that Moonbyul found someone else to love and it hurts like hell knowing that.

"I'm happy for you." Yongsun stated, and Wheein was reasonably skeptical about her statement.

"Yongsun-ssi, you don't have to." Wheein replied just above a whisper. Solar didn't have to say it when they both know she didn't mean it. She doesn't have to be happy for them when they both know she's hurting. Wheein knows that feeling all too well and she knows Solar didn't deserve to feel that kind of pain.

But Solar meant what she said. Wheein has been such an angel and she deserves to be loved back by someone she loves; she wishes it wasn't Moonbyul, but nonetheless, she's happy for Wheein.

And Moonbyul; Solar knows she's in good hands.

"Unnie, you're not mad, are you?" Hyejin asks. She finally feels like she can breath freely.

It was so hard for her to keep the secret from Solar knowing that the girl was depending on her to keep her in the loop with what's happening in Moonbyul's life.

"No, Hyejin. I'm a little disappointed that no one told me earlier but its understandable." Solar says with a smile.

Wheein really feel bad seeing Solar smile as if she wasn't hurting, its her unnie after all, and she's been there; she knows how it can be self destructive.

But she doesn't think she's in any position to comfort Solar right now.

"Unnie, I'm sorry." Wheein didn't know what else to say.

"Wheein, its fine. I'm just shocked but, I'm okay. I'm the one who broke things off between us, remember?" Solar replies, justifying why they really shouldn't be worried about her.

"Are you sure you're okay, unnie?" Seulgi asks with concern apparent on her facial expression.

Yongsun smiles. "It's been months. I'm fine." She managed to say with a stable voice. She wants to say that she has moved on but its too much of a lie to tell.

"That's good because Seulgi and I have an announcement to make next Thursday and Moonbyul already agreed to come." Irene says carefully, indirectly preparing Yongsun for what might happen next week.

Its going to be different. Yongsun will actually see Wheein and Moonbyul together...aware that they're a couple, and the other girls are wary about what might transpire.

"I won't make a scene like Moonbyul did the last time, don't worry." Yongsun jester-ed. Solidifying the point that she's fine.

"Unnie, don't worry, we'll be there if you ever need distractions." Wendy offers; Solar and Wendy grew closer since Eric asked Yongsun to help her with Wendy.

Solar smiled at her. "Thank you." She simply replied.

The girls tried their best to change the direction of their conversation to a lighter topic.

But Hyejin can't shake the thoughts of Solar trying her best not to make Wheein feel bad about it, just like how Wheein kept her feelings inside all this time not to ruin someone else's happiness, and so Hyejin thinks, that maybe the noble thing to do is believe Yongsun when she tells them she's okay.


Later that day, Wheein told Moonbyul that Solar already knows about their relationship.

Moonbyul didn't say much about it.

She knows Yongsun will eventually caught on even if they don't tell her. They're in the same girl group after all, they have been seeing each other a lot. Yongsun will find out one way or another.

Moonbyul's just glad she wasn't there to see Yongsun's reaction.

Besides, Moonbyul thinks it wouldn't be a big deal to Solar since she moved on first.

"Is it okay for you to come?" Wheein asks Moonbyul, refering to Seulgi and Irene's invitation; she didn't want to put her girlfriend in an uncomfortable situation.

Girlfriend. Its almost a month since they became official but Wheein still can't believe she get to call Byul her girlfriend. The words still feels foreign to her but she has no doubt she'll get used to it.

"Why wouldn't I be? You're going to be there. That's all the reason I need to be okay." Moonbyul says genuinely.

But Wheein can't help but laugh. "I still can't believe how greasy you are."

Moonbyul smiles, her nose scrunching up, "It makes your heart flutter though, right?"

Wheein smiles, nodding enthusiastically and giving Moonbyul a quick kiss on the lips. "It does."

Hyejin groans. "Get a room." She teases.

Earning a laugh from the couple.

They were too caught up in their own little world that they forgot their friend is just right beside them.

"Do you want a kiss from me too, Hyejin-ah?" Moonbyul offers with a smile that's too greasy for Hyejin to handle.

Hyejin rolls her eyes while giggling. "I'm not sure you can handle me, Byul-ssi."

Moonbyul gasps and Wheein laughs, but before the rapper could think of a better comeback Wheein asked her again.

"Are you seriously okay to come though?" Moonbyul can't help but smile at how concerned Wheein is about her feelings.

Moonbyul feels guilty about how oblivious she was about Wheein's feelings before; she takes a mental note to make up for that.

"Wheein, I meant what I said. I'll be okay as long as you're there." Moonbyul replied.

"Wheein, I think you're more worried than Byul-unnie." Hyejin remarks. "Are you going to be okay?"

Wheein took it as an opportunity to best friend instead of answering. "As long as you're there Hyejin."

Hyejin groans. "Byul-ssi's greasiness has really rubbed off on you."

The three of them laughed again. They were having fun, and have been having fun, but something about Thursday makes Wheein feel uneasy.

Its weird because they've been seeing Solar all this time, but it feels like they'll see her for the first time in years.

And Wheein should be happy that this time she's not the one in the sidelines, she's not pining for someone she can't have anymore.

She should feel triumphant, but she can't get herself to be completely at ease.


Solar shouldn't be nervous. It isn't her first time seeing Moonbyul. And she's going to Seulgi and Irene's Cafe, like she always do; she's not going to a date or something, so she's really frustrated at herself for being too concerned with how she would look like, or what dress she should wear or how early she should get there.

But she knows exactly why, and that makes her even more frustrated.

She ended up wearing the suit she bought for herself which happened to be one of Moonbyul's favorite outfit for her. She said she looked really sophisticated wearing it.

When she arrived at the Cafe all of them were already there except for Byul.

Considering that Wheein is already there, she assumed that Moonbyul might not be coming after all, and she laughs to and at herself. She breathes in relief but there was a feeling disappointment that dawned on her.

But before Solar could process her thoughts she heard a voice she can recognize at any given time.

"Did you all miss me?" And there she was the orange haired girl she once loved- she still loves.

Everyone was so excited to see her. Moonbyul has always been so fun to be with, so no wonder the Red Velvet members are gushing about how they missed her.

Solar can't help but stare at Moonbyul, she didn't even care anymore if she gets caught staring, but then Moonbyul stops in front of her, and its as if Solar's heart stopped as well.

Moonbyul is smiling directly at her, looking as if she's happy to see Solar, and Yongsun can't help but smile back.

"Hi." Moonbyul greets.

Solar wanted to slap herself to see if she was dreaming, she didn't know what to say or how to react. She wanted to say that she missed Moonbyul too, but she wasn't sure if its okay to say that, so she settled with a 'hello', but she didn't get a chance to do so because Moonbyul walked past her walking towards Wheein.

She isn't sure if the disappointment that she's feeling is because she didn't even get to respond or the fact that Byul didn't acknowledge her outfit.

Solar watched as Moonbyul kissed Wheein on the cheeks, how Wheein blushed probably because she's still not used to receiving such gestures from Byul.

Solar could swear she heard a cracking sound right where her heart rests.

"Yah, Seulgi, what's this big announcement of yours?" Moonbyul asks her friend, the rest of their conversation was really a blur for Solar, all she could see was the way Moonbyul treated Wheein like a princess; the way Moonbyul used to treat her.

She also noted how Byul didn't stay at Wheein's side all the time, how she lets Wheein have her own conversations with the other girls while she has her own; she lets Wheein be her own person, something that she would have wanted when they were still together.

Solar then hears a clink as Seulgi continuously hit the wine glass with her spoon.

"I don't know how to tell you this, so I guess I'm just going to say it straight." Seulgi started, she was evidently nervous, but Irene holds her hand and squeezes it reassuringly, causing her shoulders to relax.

"This is not really going to be straight though-that's a very misleading statement" Seulgi rambles seriously, making everyone laugh. "Irene and I..."

"We already know you're dating, Seulgi." Moonbyul teases, earning a laugh and causing Seulgi to roll her eyes at her.

"Yeah, everybody here knows that" Seulgi agrees, "But we're actually already engaged." she states as both her and Irene flashes their rings, making everyone else at loss for words.

Seulgi and Irene are engaged.

Solar can't believe it. They've been together for only a year, and now they're engaged, but it made sense knowing that time really shouldn't be a measurement of love. Heck, Moonbyul and her were together for five years and look where they are now.

She almost pities herself how Seulgi and Irene looked so happy. They acknowledge the reality that their marriage might not be legal, that it can't be acknowledged by the law in their country, but they didn't care.

They were in love and that's all that mattered to them. What matters to them is that they know they love each other and they're going to have a beautiful ceremony of their love.

And maybe its too late to think about how it could be her and Moonbyul; but she still wonders what would've happened if only she stayed longer, if only she was stronger.

The night passed quickly and soon enough they were bidding goodbyes at each other.

Solar hugged each one of her friends saying her farewells, and the next thing she knew she was left with Moonbyul, at the side of the road.

She didn't know how to act, she didn't know if they're already in speaking terms even after chatting with Moonbyul a little bit at the party; after all, Moonbyul might just be trying to act civil with her around their friends to avoid an awkward atmosphere.

So she shyly says, "Bye." she didn't even bother checking if the other girl heard her, she tried to walk away fast.

"See you." she hears Moonbyul say, making her stop in her tracks.

"What?" Solar asked, dumbfounded.

"At the studio." Moonbyul smiles at her as she clarifies.

"Yeah." Solar acknowledges. "I almost forgot." she smiles.

"Will you be okay?" Moonbyul asks.

And Solar smiles. "Of course. Will you?" she asks back.

"Yeah." Moonbyul casually said without missing a beat. "By the way, I can drop you off if you want." Byul offered and Solar almost agreed, of course she wanted to spend more time with Moonbyul but then the other girl continued, "I'm sure Hyejin and Wheein won't mind having a short detour." and then she was reminded of their current situation; she shouldn't take pleasure in being with Byul anymore because its not going to be fair to Wheein.

"No that's fine." Solar declined politely, "I already booked a taxi, its actually already there." she points to her service car. She wanted to catch up with her members and riding with Byul would be a great opportunity to do so, but she doesn't think she could fake a smile the whole ride.

It's not that she's bitter.

She's happy that Moonbyul is okay now. It looks like Byul really did move on; that's what Yongsun wanted in the first place, but she's questioning herself on why she doesn't feel all that happy.

Instead she feels as if a part of her just died. She figures that maybe its hope; hope that maybe Byul would take her back.

Because even if Byul seemed like she already moved on, Yongsun wasn't ready to move on one bit.

Sure, she was the one who broke up with Byul, but it never meant that she didn't love her anymore. It felt like it was the right thing to do. She did it for them. They had to grow separately.

"Oh. Okay. Bye then." Moonbyul greets her again as she pulls her close for a quick hug.

She expected Byul to wait for her, because she really believed that Byul is her person. She really thought no matter what happens they'd end up together.

But right now, knowing that Byul is this happy, knowing that she already have someone like Wheein to take care of her; she thinks she had been naive and stupid after all.

Solar expected this night to be her wake up call. She expected that seeing Wheein and Moonbyul together would slap her back to reality that there's no going back now. But she came home with more questions and a little more hope in her mind than before.