Chapter 20: Love is the Way

55,365 minutes

It felt like those quiet moments before a storm where the air smelled of salt and earth. The wind would go still and clouds would brew in the distance foretelling a terrible torrent about to befall you. Everything seemed to slow, breath held and a chill pouring down her back. The stoniness in Joohyun’s face, the way the woman’s eyes seemed to be sharp as razors, lips pressed into a light so tight she thought Joohyun’s face might crack. It was the way Joohyun’s nostrils flared that scared her the most.

“What is going on?”

Sejeong’s simple question, aired in a voice full of confusion, eyes reaching from Seungwan and stretching to the woman at the doorway, seemed to snap the world back into motion. Joohyun’s hands lid from the door, fingers curling, twisting into a tight ball. From the corner of her eye, she could see Seulgi tense, take a step forward as though ready to leap between Sejeong and Joohyun.

Seungwan opened to talk but a flick of an eye, the sharp but small shake of Joohyun’s head rendered her silent. The woman stepped forward, the tight line of her lips breaking, curling, corners rising upwards. The soft pink of Joohyun’s lips seemed to glisten as she drew closer, eyes now intent on Sejeong as she spoke in a saccharin voice, “Would you mind letting go of my girlfriend?”

Sejeong went stiff as a board, eyes slowly turning to Joohyun, growing wider as those words settled on her. Seungwan slowly began to push with her palms, distancing herself from Sejeong. The girl seemed to stumble backwards, stunned, lips working wordlessly. Clearing , she struggled to find her voice. It cracked as she finally found it, “Sejeong, this is my girlfriend, Joohyun.”

Seugwan looked over to her girlfriend, a smile forming on her lips that quickly began to falter. The look of intensity in Joohyun’s eyes, fury burning behind them, her steps like a wild animal stalking its prey, making her wonder if she should run away. From the corner of her eye she could see Seulgi, worry on her face, slowly starting towards them. “Joohyun,” she whispered as the woman stepped in close. Their toes bumped together, the sweet fragrance of lavender and vanilla wafting up to fill her senses.

Joohyun’s eyes settled on Sejeong and her lips blossomed into a wide smile. There was something about that smile, malicious and dangerous all at once. A small hand reached up and cupped Seungwan’s chin, nails caressing her earlobe. Joohyun pressed into her, head tilting back. The woman’s breath was like a summer wind, hot and moist. Seungwan opened to ask what she was doing when, when a yank, she was pulled in tight to the woman.

Her knees felt like they might collapse as Joohyun’s tongue wormed into , the woman’s arm encircling her waist, pulling and tugging, shuddering against her. She was being claimed, Joohyun clearly showing that Seungwan was hers. There were shocked gasps in the room quickly followed by muted conversations. She might have been able to understand them had she the ability to focus on anything but Joohyun.

The kiss lingered, slow but demanding, their bodies shuddering together. It was Seulgi’s voice, halfway between laughter and seriousness, “This is a place of business you two,” that broke them from one another. Slowly, Irene drew back, mouth slack and cheeks flushed, eyes closed as she sighed. With a rapid flutter of lashes, Seungwan felt her cheeks color a deep read and she turned her head away from everyone, embarrassed and afraid to meet all of those eyes.

Joohyun’s eyes slowly opened, surprise and shock on the woman’s features, the angry heat having turned to a smolder. With a slow breath, lips quivering, Joohyun found her voice. “We shouldn’t wait too long. Everyone is going to be meeting us at the snack bar soon,” Joohyun said, loud enough to make sure everyone heard. Fingertips traced along her cheek, teasing and tender, before Joohyun drew back. 

“We should go,” said one of Sejeong’s teammates, the girl quickly stepping up and grasping her by the shoulders. Wendy had almost forgotten her old lover was there, the all consuming feel of Joohyun’s lips and body, having sent her reeling. She looked over at Sejeong and felt her stomach grow hard and heavy, tears welling up in the corner of the girl’s eyes. 

She wanted to say something, to try and somehow keep Sejeong from crying, but she knew this wasn’t her place anymore. They had a past, one that had been long and filled with both happiness and agony, but it had to stay in the past. As the girl group crowded around Sejeong, protective and furtive in trying to drag her away, Wendy felt the girl would have the support she needed. 

For a moment, their eyes met, and Wendy could see the regret in them. Regret at having waited and regret at letting Wendy go all those years ago. A simple glance that spoke so much to her. “Goodbye, Sejeong,” she said as the group swept out through the front door of the dance studio. She could hear the muttering of the girl’s, angry and full of disparaging words for her and Joohyun but to her credit, Sejeong put it all to an end.

“Don’t,” she heard Sejeong’s voice, fading as they disappeared down the hallway, “she doesn’t deserve to be called names.” 

“She’s pretty,” Joohyun suddenly said, head turned, eyes glancing over her shoulder as the door fell shut, Sejeong and her group now hidden from view. “I’m sorry,” Joohyun then blurted, head falling as she reached out to grasp Seungwan by her wrists. “I don’t know what came over me,” the woman said, her voice full of apology. 

“You were jealous,” Seungwan stated with a small laugh.

Joohyun pouted at her, eyes tightening as she said, “She was hugging you and it was either I kiss you or I kill her.” 

With another laugh, Wendy leaned forward, her motion quick, and she placed a peck on Joohyun’s soft lips. The woman reeled back in surprise before blushing. The way her cheeks grew pink, eyes downcast and the way her shoulders drew in together made her look adorable in Seungwan’s eyes. “You’re cute,” she whispered, giving words to her thoughts.

“Thank you for not spilling blood in the lobby of my studio,” Seulgi said with a smirk as she edged towards them. It was clear Seulgi was still uncertain, her eyes sizing up Joohyun, waiting to see if an outburst was imminent. “So, that Sejeong was...”

“Seungwan’s ex-girlfriend,” Joohyun said with a quick nod. There was a coolness in her voice that made everyone shiver as Joohyun continued, “what exactly was she doing here?”

“They’re the new group I choreographed their debut stage for,” Seulgi said slowly as she stepped up beside them. Her body was glistening, the scent of exertion seeming to pour off the slim woman. “I know I told you about them,” Seulgi said slowly before glancing sidelong at Seungwan, “I had no idea. The world is pretty small sometimes.”

“Do you need closure?” Joohyun asked suddenly, brows drawing down into a deep furrow. Seungwan cocked her head, looked at the worry that was pouring across her girlfriend’s features. “You can run after them.” The quick change, cold anger to concern, made Seungwan smile. 

“I think any doors that were left open have been slammed shut,” Seungwan said as she slowly drew away. Joohyun’s fingers tightened about her wrist, keeping her from pulling away. “I’m sorry, Joohyun,” she began, her voice falling soft and apologetic. “She just kind of leapt at me and then you were walking through the door a moment later.”

“I know,” Joohyun said quickly. “I was already in the doorway when she leapt at you. I’m not angry at you, Wannie.” The woman heaved a long sigh and rolled her head back, eyes casting upwards, “I honestly just reacted seeing some girl I didn’t know jumping on you. If it had been Sooyoung it would have been fine. That’s to be expected.”

“Don’t tell Sooyoung that,” Seulgi said with a laugh. “She might try and push and see just how far she can go.”

“Wannie is mine,” Joohyun said with a growl. Her head tilted down, a single lock of hair falling across her face, eyes glaring and lips in a feral curl. There was a wildness about Joohyun right now, her aura pulsing, and Seungwan found herself even more attracted to her. Joohyun’s features then began to slip, cheeks going slack and eyes darting sidelong. With a pointed sniff of the air, Joohyun said, “Seul, did you want to shower before we all go out?”

“I was going too,” Seulgi said with a dramatic roll of her eyes. “No making out on the couches, okay?” While Joohyun shot a glower at Seulgi and Seungwan stifled a laugh, Seulgi gave a wink and stepped away, turning towards a doorway behind the front desk.

Joohyun pulled Seungwan towards a couch against the far wall, white leather with wood legs and trim, settling them both down on it. They sat angled towards each other, knees bumping and hands locked. “You really should talk to her,” Joohyun said softly. “I’m sure she needs closure as well. I know what happens when you go too long without closure.” There was no need to mention Jennie’s name. It hung there, floating in the air.

“I will,” Seungwan said with a nod. “I don’t think right now is the time, but soon.”

“Good,” Joohyun said softly.

***

A low fence of wrought iron circled the yard of the snack shop, the scent of tteokbokki filling the air as they drew close. The sun had fallen behind the tall buildings of downtown Seoul, making its final descent behind the horizon. A chill was beginning to settle over the darkened yard, long picnic tables already starting to fill. 

Seungwan was walking hand in hand with Joohyun, swinging their arms like little kids, just happy to be in one another's presence. They had spent every free moment they had together, Joohyun occupying her nights and mornings, frequent texts and calls. Tomorrow that would change, promotions going into full swing. But tonight Seungwan was looking forward to being with her and their friends.

Seulgi skipped ahead of them, a happy bounce in her step, all the way to the small gate that separates the yard of the snack shop from the street beyond. Grabbing the top of the gate, Seulgi stepped aside and swept it open. “After you two,” she said with a smile.

As they stepped into the yard, their eyes casting about, Jisoo leapt up from her seat at a table at the far end of the yard, thick green grass stretching from the walkway to it. A tall tree with drooping branches and quaking leaves, fluttering dark and light in the sunset, stretched out over the table. “Seungwannie,” Jisoo yelled and waved them over wildly.

Her hand slipped from Joohyun’s and she darted across the grass, arms outstretched. Jisoo hurried to meet her, the pair crashing into each other with a laugh as they hugged. They spun in place, laughing as Seulgi and Joohyun skirted around them. “Okay you two,” Joohyun said as she settled onto the bench opposite Jennie at the table, “You’re girlfriends are over here.”

Seungwan and Jisoo separated, both looking at one another with a smirk. They had wondered if their sudden friendship, fast and strong, would create some kind of jealousy with their girlfriends. Jennie had voiced complaint but Joohyun seemed to take it in stride. Hand in hand they walked towards the table. “Tonight is on me,” Jisoo declared, “as a celebration for your comeback.”

“That is very kind of you,” Seungwan said as they reached the table. Their hands unfurled and they settled down, directly opposite one another, hips tight against their girlfriends. Seungwan felt Joohyun’s fingers immediately press to her leg beneath the table, caressing, teasing. A small shiver rolled down her back. Joohyun always went out of her way to touch her, taking every opportunity to express her love with a kiss of caress. 

“Hey,” Joohyun said across the table, hesitance in her tone and demeanor, the simple greeting directed at Jennie. Fox like eyes reached across the table, Jennie seeming to take a long moment, pondering what to say.

“Hey,” she finally responded.

“They’re quite the talkers,” Jisoo said teasingly. “At least they’re not fighting,” she said, looking across the table to Seungwan.

“Right?” Seungwan said with a chuckle. “That would make for a terrible time. If a fight broke out would you and I have to fight too?”

“I’d win,” Jisoo said and held up her arm, rolling back the sleeve of her black t-shirt and flexing her arm. She paused and looked at her lack of a bicep, frowning and then with her other arm tried to push up the skin, forcing a bicep to form. Seungwan found herself giggling.

“Oh, God,” Jennie said and her head rolled forward, a look of defeat on her face.

“I think we just have to accept what’s happening,” Joohyun said to Jennie. She reached across the table, slow, hesitant before tapping gently on Jennie’s arm. The girl looked up in surprise, taken back by the warm smile being sent her way from across the table. “Right?”

Jennie seemed to ponder that simple question, eyes narrowing and her hands wringing before finally heaving a sigh. She leaned over into Jisoo, head falling to rest on the girl’s shoulder, arms slipping along the curve of her lower back and said, “I think you’re right. It’s like we’re all destined to be together like this.”

The word destined settled on Seungwan, made her glance at Jennie and wonder how things were going to play out. She could feel Jisoo’s eyes on her, most likely pondering the same thing. Jisoo had cooly accepted Seungwan’s story, not voice disbelief at her purported powers or visions. Instead, Jisoo had simply gone along and agreed to help make sure both Jennie and Joohyun were at the same place at the appointed times.

She was lost in thought when Yeri appeared at the head of the table, the short girl dressed in dark blue jean shorts and yellow tank top, tanned flesh exposed in the dimming light. “I am here,” the young girl cried, throwing her arms over her head as though she was proclaiming victory of who knows what. 

“Come to me,” Seulgi said with a wide grin, eyes scrunching into small crescents, arms held out to Yeri. The small girl scrambled onto the bench beside Seulgi, wrapping arms about her lover and placing a long, steamy kiss on her lips. When Yeri drew away, eyes fluttering and a look of adoration in her eyes, Seulgi blushed deeply and whispered, though there was no harshness in her words, “Not in public.”

Smiles erupted along the table, everyone watching the pair as Yeri reached up and grasped Seulgi by the cheeks, trying to smooch and kiss her even more. Seulgi gave a yelp and twisted her head, trying to avoid the girl’s puckered lips and failed. Yeri placed another kiss, long and demanding on Seulgi. 

“I always thought you two were such a fun couple,” Jisoo said as she leaned forward, smiling blissfully. “Oh,” Jisoo said, suddenly perking up. “Rosie and Lisa are busy at Black Velvet but said we should come by later.” She looked around, gauging everyone’s reactions.

“We’d love to,” Joohyun said as she glanced over at Seungwan who nodded her agreement. 

“Love to what?” Sooyoung’s voice came from behind Seungwan, a catch in the girl’s throat. She could see the squinted looks on the faces across from her, Seulgi canting her head curiously. With her own brows furrowing, she turned her head and blinked.

Sooyoung looked radiant, her silken hair falling soft across her shoulders. A cream color crop top showed the soft expanse of her flat stomach with pale skin and wide hips. Jeans hugged her legs and eyes were turning to regard her, all with looks of appreciation. Her cheeks were red, eyes puffy, the stains of tears on her cheeks. Sungjae was standing beside Joy, a brilliant smile, the man almost bouncing on his toes. She had her right arm hooked about his, her other shoved into her pocket.

“Sooyoung,” Seungwan said as she the bench and started to stand but Sooyoung pulled her hand out of her pocket and placed it on Seungwan’s shoulder to stop her. She felt herself gasp, eyes growing wide at the glittering diamond, princess cut on a rose gold band, adoring Sooyoung’s ring finger. With slack mouth, eyes as wide as saucers, Seungwan glanced up to find Sooyoung’s lips curling into a smile unlike any she’d ever seen on the girl’s face.

She’d seen happy Sooyoung and smiling through sadness Sooyoung. Laughing Sooyoung or teasing Sooyoung. All forms of smiles but this one, so wide, her gums and teeth visible for all to see, was the purest and happiest one of them all. “We’re engaged,” Sungjae said and he puffed up his chest, eyes full of Joy.

The table exploded, everyone stumbling off their benches and running around to pile about the pair. Seungwan was dragged into Sooyoung’s arms, the tall girl enfolding her, voice heavy as she whispered, “Are you happy for me, Seungwan?”

“Happy?” she said as she smiled up at Joy, the warm sensation of tears building at the corner of her eyes. As more arms were thrown about them, crushing them, Seungwan said, “I knew this would happen at some time.”

“Because our numbers matched,” Sooyoung said, a certainty in her voice. 

“Because your numbers matched,” Seungwan said with a firm nod. 

***

They had entered Black Velvet noisily, laughing and playing, their bellies full of beer, soju and tteokbokki. The news of Sooyoung’s impending nuptials had turned the event into a dual celebration, one for the newly engaged pair and one for Seungwan. She didn’t mind it all, eyes watching the way Sungjae was doting more on Sooyoung, this was a moment long in the making.

When Lisa had met them at the bar, curious as to the atmosphere surrounding the group, she wound up leaping into Sooyoung’s arms and pepper the girl’s cheeks with kisses, saying that drinks would be free all night for them. This only served to make Yeri happier and as the night went on, drunker.

They all piled into the Red Room, taking up a series of red, velvet couches that surrounded a table. Lisa and Rosie took a break from their work, bringing a tray of drinks with them, before settling down to enjoy some time with their new, larger group of friends. “Congratulations,” Rosie was saying, her voice high and sweet, hands clutched to her chest. “You both are such a lovely couple. Lisa and I knew you two were going to get married.”

“You weren’t the only ones,” Sooyoung said as she eyed Seungwan. 

“When do you guys think you’ll set a date?” Lisa asked as she reached up to take Rosie’s hands, pulling them into her lap. “We’d be more than happy to help cater. We have a fully functioning kitchen afterall.”

“Probably October of November,” Sungjae said before leaning into Sooyoung and placing a kiss on her cheeks. “I wanted to do it right away but she wants a wedding. 4 or 5 months is still a rush but we think it’ll be enough time.”

Seungwan could see the way Sooyoung looked at him, eyes dripping love, lost in the happiness of her engagement. Even though she knew it would most likely happen, having watched their numbers count down together. They had all gone to a theme park, Sooyoung and Sungjae on a tea cup ride, spinning and laughing, when as their numbers struck zero he told her he loved her for the first time. It was a moment forever etched in her memory. She’d watched people fall in love and been happy for them but never as happy as watching it happen to her oldest friend.

“I’m sorry, Seungwan,” Sungjae said, snapping her out of her memory. “You’ll be left living alone when we marry. That is unless you want to live with us,” he said, his voice unsure. She couldn’t tell if he was being considerate of her and worried how she might take it or if he wanted Sooyoung alone and to himself. “We talked about it and it would be fine.”

“No,” Seungwan said with a shake of her head. “You can’t have me underfoot as newlyweds. I know what you’ll be doing and I don’t want to have to hear it,” she said with a laugh. Sooyoung didn’t blush. She didn’t laugh either. Instead, Sooyoung’s lips curled into a smirk and the girl gave a slow, flirty wink.

“I’ll be buying a house about that time,” Joohyun said, leaning forward, putting a just emptied shot glass down on the table. Seungwan could smell the alcohol on Joohyun’s breath as the woman placed a hand atop hers, fingers slowly riding up to caress her wrists and forearms. “You can always live with me.”

Seungwan could feel eyes settling on her with a mix of emotions. Seulgi’s countenance was one of surprise while Yeri and Jisoo both seemed to beam at the idea. Jennie’s face was emotionless, the girl hiding what she felt at hearing those words, simply sipping from her beer and looking away. Rosie and Lisa looked at one another, silent words passing in their eyes, undecipherable but they wound up smiling and nodding at each other. She could only take it as their approval.

“How much have you had to drink?” Seungwan asked and Joohyun shook her head.

“Not much,” Joohyun grinned. The woman leaned over and Seungwan could feel the shape of Joohyun’s body against her own, s crushing against her arm and breath hot as she whispered into her ear, “I’m serious. I know it’s fast and the logical part of my mind is telling me to slow down, but I’ve done slow. I don’t want that. I want you.”

“I want you too,” Seungwan said. She thought about her apartment, how she and Sooyoung had been sole roommates for years. Memories of her best friend burning eggs on the stove and leaving wet towels on the bathroom floor. Things that would normally be thought of as annoying, but to her, were endearments. Sooyoung was beautiful and amazing but imperfect. Now Sungjae would see that side of her. The thought of being alone in that apartment with just memories washed her with a sense of forlorn sadness.

“Let’s do it,” she declared. Joohyun gave a yelp that startled everyone, making them jump, and she threw arms about Seungwan. She pulled Seungwan against the high back of the couch, nibbling at her cheek and wrapping hands about her. 

“Get a room, you two,” came Jisoo’s teasing voice.

They were going to, Seungwan thought. They were going to.