Chapter 2: Wish Tree

55,365 minutes

“What do you mean you aren’t even sure she was real?”

Joohyun glanced sidelong at the girl walking beside her, step for step and pace for pace, monolid eyes filled with curiosity. A messy bun sat atop the girls head, wispy tendrils falling down about her temples and forehead. A simple red t-shirt and black leggings was all the girl wore with bright red Sketchers, a canvas duffle hanging off her left shoulder.

“The entire encounter just felt,” Joohyun bit her lip as she sought the right word to describe what she felt as they moved down the narrow sidewalk, the late afternoon sun beating down upon them. “Surreal. It was just surreal.” Her button down shirt, blue and white stripes of heavy linen, had long been shed from her body and simply tied about her waist in favor of the plain white undershirt as the day grew warmer and the breeze turned still.

The side street was almost empty, the sound of cars growing distant the further they drifted away from the main street. She felt herself breathing easier as they moved deeper into the neighborhood, the heavy press of crowds always uncomfortable.

“What is weird,” Seulgi said as she turned to move sideways, hop skipping side to side, keeping pace with Joohyun, “is that it’s only 4 in the afternoon and you’re not in your office. I was startled when my phone rang and you asked me to go for a walk with you. What’s up with that?”

“I finally found a manager for the Gangnam locations,” she said with a relieved voice. Looking up, she smiled at the bright blue sky, bereft of clouds. “I can finally settle down into doing the big picture work again. Sure, I lose a little off the bottom line paying for a regional manager but not working 15 hours a day is worth it.”

“I’m glad,” Seulgi replied with a wide grin, giving Joohyun a playful punch on the arm. “Do you know how long it’s been since we got to spend an afternoon together? At least two years?”

“Wow,” Joohyun said with a low whistle. Turning her head to regard the girl beside her, she nodded, “That sounds right. Ever since I inherited the business, my life got crazy, didn’t it?” It had been two and a half years since she had finished her degree in business administration and, as way of graduation present, her grandparents retired from their laundromat and dry cleaning business, handing it over to her.

At first she was thrilled, the stress of applying for jobs and competing in an already highly competitive corporate environment dissipating in an instant. That thrill was quickly dashed by the long hours as she learned the business and set plans to expand. In those two and a half years she had opened a dozen new locations, all spread throughout Seoul.

“So, back to this spirit,” Seulgi said making quotation marks with her fingers, “You never believed in the supernatural or anything before and now you’re talking about some ghost girl.”

“Right?” Joohyun said hesitantly as she shoved hands into her jeans pockets, lips tightened as she remember the vision of this vibrant girl. The look of pure delight that blossomed on those sharp features and the exuberance in her motions, the excitement when she spoke. The surety of what was going to pass. “I just have a hard time accepting that she was real.”

“Was she,” Seulgi said as her lips curled into a grin, voice sly, “cute?”

“I would say she was strikingly pretty,” Joohyun replied thoughtfully, the girl’s image still fresh in her mind. “More than that, though, she felt like a force of nature. I’ve never met anyone who just seemed to radiate happy energy.” She could still she the girl skipping down the hill, arms swinging back and forth like a carefree child. “And her voice. Beautiful. I swear I had heard it before, though.”

“My, my, my,” Seulgi said as she turned to walk straight on again, swerving into Joohyun to bump the woman playfully. “The way you’re talking, I’m almost wondering if you’re ready to move on. I haven’t heard you talk about another girl like this since,” her words fell short as Joohyun’s head whipped around, black hair thrashing and swirling about her face as a dark storm seemed to pass across the woman’s features.

Rattled, Seulgi quickly held up her hands apologetically and took a step away to create a safe distance between them. “Sorry,” she said in a contrite voice, “I shouldn’t have brought that up.”

Huffing, Joohyun simply stared ahead, “She played her guitar and sang, like it was some OST for a drama unfolding right in front of our eyes. It was almost like a dream.” With a laugh, the storm on her face broke, thinking about that bright girl infecting her with happiness. “It was like a whirlwind swept over me, pulling me into a short few minutes of craziness and then,” she reached out and snapped her fingers, “poof. Gone.”

“And what was it about numbers you were rambling on about earlier?”

“That’s the weirdest part of it all,” Joohyun said, excitement creeping in to her voice, “She patted my knee, said some long number and told me that’s how many minutes it was until I met my soulmate.”

“Wait,” Seulgi said as she quickly grasped Joohyun’s wrist, forcing the woman to skid to a stop there on the sidewalk. The bell on a bike chime before veering around them as Seulgi turned Joohyun to her, voice and face turning serious as their eyes met. “So she told you two people were going to fall in love, and you witnessed it happen like she said, and afterwards told you how long until you found your soulmate?”

Joohyun blinked her dark, brown eyes, lashes fluttering quickly before she replied with a simple, “Yes.”

Heaving a sigh, Seulgi rolled her head forward, both hands falling to grasp Joohyun by the shoulders. She slowly started shaking the woman, her voice filled with incredulity as she spoke, “And you seriously didn’t try to find out more? Get more information from her?”

“Seulgi,” Joohyun said flatly, eyes looking at her friend like she was out of her mind, “It’s just not realistic at all.”

“But you,” Seulgi sputtered as she looked up with wild eyes, “You SAW it happen! She told you they were going to somehow meet and fall for eachother and it happened right in front of your eyes. She could be some kind of love shaman!” The girl’s eyes grew wider by the second, excitement filling her face. “I should find her and ask her what she sees for me!”

Laughing, Joohyun gave Seulgi a playful poke in the ribs making the girl jump and clutching at her side. “You’re already deeply in love, you dope. Why do you need her to tell you otherwise?”

“Yeah, I am totally in love right now,” Seulgi said with a grin as her eyes scrunched into crescent moons. Pulling her hands from Joohyun’s shoulders, she held them to her chest, clasped as though praying. “But wouldn’t it be awesome to have it verified by a shaman or whatever she is?”

“You’re a dork,” Joohyun said affectionately as she grabbed Seulgi by the hand and started walking again, pulling the girl along with her. They fell into silence for a half block as they passed by apartments and small offices, trees lining the street affording them a touch of shade. Her mind replayed the events of the morning, trying to recall the melody the strange girl’s fingers plucked on that old guitar.

A loud churning noise followed by a grumble broke her reverie followed by a soft, “Sorry,” from Seulgi beside her. 

“Hungry?”

“I guess I didn’t eat enough this morning,” Seulgi said bashfully as the walked together, hand in hand, a habit left over from their childhood. A habit that had first irked Seulgi’s girlfriend but Joohyun was unwilling to let go of this one little comfort that Seulgi gave. “I spent all morning working out a new choreography. There’s a new group debuting soon and I’m trying to give them something powerful. I guess I just danced a lot and need food.”

“I think there’s a small sandwich shop just a ways up ahead. Let’s fill your growling stomach before you turn into an angry bear.”

They settled into talking about Seulgi’s work as they walked, the small dance studio that began churning out back up dancers and the occasional idol. It was a labor of love for Seulgi, the culmination of an adolescent dream turned reality. Joohyun was always happy to listen to the girl’s enthusiastic descriptions of her dances, talking in dancers jargon she never fully grasped but was willing to play along.

As they drew near the sandwich shop, she found herself coming to a sudden stop, Seulgi continuing for a second before almost falling over, getting yanked back. Her eyes took in the small seating area outside the restaurant, wrought iron tables, round and intricate, surrounded by similar chairs. A large tree hung over the tables, it’s branches casting a wide net of shade. 

It was a large, purple nylon guitar bag that caught her attention, leaning against the edge of a table. Taking a step back, Seulgi waved a hand before Joohyun’s face, “Hello. Joohyun?”

Joohyun nodded as she looked at the inhabitants of the table, two girls sitting and talking animatedly. One a pretty girl with long, black hair and pouty lips painted a bright red leaned back on the metal chair, legs crossed while she slowly swung a foot back and forth. “That’s her,” Joohyun said as she raised a hand to point at the girl sitting back towards them.

The girl's short dark hair that fell to shoulder length, the dark blue jeans that hugged those skinny legs and flannel shirt, hanging loose over narrow shoulders, were the exact same as this morning. As they watched, the girl turned in her seat and bent over, ping the front pouch of the guitar back and pulling out a notebook. “What a pretty side profile,” she thought.

Seulgi gasped, the sudden noise making Joohyun jump and grab her chest out of shock. “Her!?” Letting go of Joohyun’s hand, she pointed at the girl in the flannel shirt as though seeking confirmation. A simple nod of affirmation from Joohyun made her face light up.

“Omo, you’re not going to believe this,” Seulgi began as she swung her canvas duffle around to her front. With a giddy grin, she zipped it open and peered down, rummaging through the contents. “I know it’s in here,” She muttered before finally pulled out a cd jewel case, displaying it as though it were a new-found treasure for Joohyun to marvel at. She held it out for Joohyun and nodded for her to take it.

Slender fingers grasped the case, Joohyun’s brows knit in confusion as she looked down at the front cover. A stark white background with a single holly sprig adoring it and the words, “Wish Three” were written across the top in a festive script. “Turn it over,” Seulgi said as she bounced on her toes, lips curling up into her biggest smile, eyes scrunched so tight Joohyun was certain the girl couldn’t see.

Flipping it over, her eyes widened, a black and white image of the singer before her. Her eyes darted to the small table, taking in the back of the slender girl before looking at the picture in her hand one more time. She suddenly understood the excitement overtaking Seulgi.

“Isn’t this the indie singer you’re always listening too?” She realized the voice was familiar due to how often Seulgi had listened to the girl’s songs. Every time she visited her friends apartment, the soft sound smooth music and that amazing voice filling the air.

“It’s Wendy,” Seulgi suddenly blurted out. “Introduce me!”

“Yah. It’s not like I know her,” Joohyun said as she rolled her eyes. “I barely even spoke to her this morning.” Before she could protest further, Seulgi had her by the shoulders, forcibly turning her to face the two girls and started pushing. “Hey! What are you doing!?”

“I want to meet her,” Seulgi said quickly as she tried to make herself disappear behind Joohyun, uncharacteristically bashful as they drew nearer and nearer. “I’ve been to a ton of her shows but never got to talk to her. You’re my in.” Rolling her eyes, Joohyun simply accepted her fate. She knew it would take an argument to dissuade Seulgi, one that would only leave her friend puffy faced with tear stained cheeks. 

“I figured out the melody this morning and it all came together,” she heard the girl saying as they drew near the table, her long haired companion leaning over, glancing down into the composition book with notes and lyrics jotted down in disarray.

“How can you make heads or tails of,” the long haired woman’s words slowed to a halt as Joohyun and Seulgi came to a stop at the table. “We have company, Seungwan.”

Joohyun watched as the girl slowly turned her head, big brown eyes glancing up to look at her and Seulgi. The girl’s head cocked ever so slightly as she squinted at them before sudden realization lit up her face as their eyes met. “Her eyes remind me of a soft blanket,” Joohyun said internally, the thought seeming to come out of nowhere.

Jerking upright in her seat, Seungwan pointed at Joohyun as she exclaimed, “Ah! From this morning!” Looking across the table at the taller girl across from her, now watching with an amused smirk, she said excitedly, “This is the girl from the bench earlier! The one I shared that special moment with.”

“I thought you might not remember me,” Joohyun said as she gave the pair a polite bow. “My name is Joohyun and this,” reaching up, she grasped Seulgi’s hand from where it perched on her shoulder, forcibly dragging the girl from around her back to stand at her side, “is my friend Seulgi.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you Joohyun and Seulgi,” Seungwan said as gave a polite bow of her head in return. She swung her hand to indicated her companion sitting across from her, “this is Sooyoung.” She bit her lip, blinking a moment before giving a rolling, musical laugh. “Then again, it’s not like we’re just meeting. That was earlier. Now we’re just learning names! I’m Seungwan, by the way.”

Joohyun blinked in confusion as she looked at the girl, her head cocking as brows furrowed, forehead scrunching to create lines. “I thought your name was Wendy?”

“That’s her stage name,” Seulgi suddenly blurted out before breaking into a wide grin. Excited energy flowed from her as she gave a deep bow, her head almost hitting the edge of the table. “I’m a huge fan.”

Seungwan’s lips broke into a wide smile, eyes squinching tight as she gave a bow of her head to Seulgi. Across the table, Sooyoung rolled her eyes and picked up her drink from the table, lips capturing the straw as she took a long sip. “A fan? I don’t have many of those,” Seungwan said with a tiny voice.

“Are you kidding?” Seulgi asked as she looked at Seungwan, eyes never leaving the girl’s face as she slowly stood. “You’re really popular in the indie music world, though.”

“She is,” Sooyoung said cooly as she gave Seungwan a soft kick beneath the table. “She’s just good at downplaying herself when it comes to her music. Her shows are always packed,” Sooyoung leaned forward slightly, voice exasperated, “and if you ever went on a music show you might hit it big.” 

Joohyun watched as Seungwan rolled her eyes, obviously used to hearing this from her friend.

“I told you,” Seungwan began with a shrug, “I don’t belong up there with all those pretty idols who dance around.” She gave a dismissive shake of her head. “Anyway, now is not the time to have this argument again, Sooyoung. We’re making new friends here.” Sticking her tongue out at Sooyoung, she turned to flash Joohyun an apologetic smile.

“I hope I’m not being too forward,” Seulgi said shyly, eyes downcast as she bashfully kicked at the concrete with the toe of her shoe, “but I was hoping I could get you to sign a CD?” Seulgi held out the CD, still clutched in her hand, her face full of hope.

“Omo, you’re so cute,” Seungwan said as she reached out to take the CD, giving Seulgi her most winsome smile. “How can I refuse?” Reaching into the front pocket of her guitar bag again, she dug around a moment before pulling out a permanent marker. Pulling off the cap between her teeth, she muttered, “What would you like me to write?”

Seulgi clapped her hands happily as she quickly said in a rush, “Just write To Beargi and I’ll be happy!”

“Beargi?” Sooyoung glanced up at the girl with her messy bun and moon shaped eyes, the question repeated in her gaze.

“It’s her nickname,” Joohyun said as she gave her friend a pat on the shoulder. “I gave it to her in middle school.”

With a nod, Seungwan quickly dragged the felt tip of the marker across the glistening plastic case, signing it “To Beargi; A cute girl who made me smile. Wendy.” She couldn’t help but feel proud whenever she got to sign a CD or picture. She had spent a lot of time practicing the stylized lettering of her Western name as she prepared for debut. Even with her moderate success, it was rare for her to write it for someone else. Outside of her shows, she rarely had the pleasure to run into a fan.

Handing the CD back to Seulgi, the look of pure giddiness on the girl’s face made her own heart leap.

“So,” Joohyun said slowly, feeling awkward just hovering there, standing near the pair, “about the minutes until I find my soulmate thing…”

“Oh boy, here we go,” Sooyoung interjected as she leaned across the table, hand giving Seungwan a small push. “You really need to stop telling people, Seungwannie. One day you’re going to wind up in a mental hospital.”

“She saw it happen for real, though,” Seungwan retorted as she pointed at Joohyun, “You know it’s real too!”

With a roll of her eyes, Sooyoung sat back and swung her gaze to Joohyun, lips drawn into a tight line before speaking with an exasperated voice, “Why don’t you two have a seat with us? Now that you’ve opened pandora’s box.”

Like a flash, Seulgi was in a seat next to Seungwan, the tiny girl blinking in surprise. “I suppose we’re sitting with you,” Joohyun said in a droll voice before stepping around Sooyoung and settling into the last open seat around the small bistro table. 

“So, you can see how long before someone finds their soulmate? Exactly how does that work,” Seulgi asked as she turned in her seat to fully face Seungwan, genuine curiosity in her eyes and voice.

“Well,” Seungwan began slowly as she watched Joohyun settle herself, seeming to take care in adjusting her shirt so as not to sit on it, angling her seat just right to face them all. She caught Joohyun’s eyes as the woman looked her way and gave a wink, “I normally say it’s when someone meets their soulmate but it’s more complicated than that.”

Seulgi leaned forward, elbows resting on the edge of the table as her arms formed a support for her chin. The girl’s head cocked as she regarded Seungwan, features fast with interest.

“Complicated how,” Joohyun asked as she brushed her lap with hands. “Not saying I actually believe any of this,” she quickly said, trying to convince herself more than anyone else, “but Seulgi is obviously very interested.” She wasn’t going to admit it herself but she found the entire idea fascinating and wanted to know more.

“Mmmhmmmm,” Sooyoung noised dubiously as she glanced sidelong at Joohyun, obviously not believing the older woman’s lack of interest.

“Well, I have had a lot of time to think about it and work it out. What I can see,” Seungwan pointed above Joohyun’s head to the spot where those ghostly numbers twisted, glowing brightly for her to see. “I see numbers that tick down, every minute, until someone realizes love counter pointed in someone else.”

“Counter pointed in someone else,” Seulgi mouthed slowly, face scrunching as she pondered those words.

“So I see a countdown not to the moment you meet your soulmate,” she scrunched her brows as she pondered a moment before continuing, “or maybe I should day destined love, but the moment when you recognize the connection.” Face splitting into a grin, she looked between Seulgi and Joohyun, happy to have someone other than Sooyoung to talk about this with.

“What about me,” Seulgi suddenly asked, sitting up straight in her seat as she pointed vaguely above her head. She bounced in her seat, eager to hear what Seungwan was going to say. Her excitement was met with a cheerful laugh as Seungwan’s eyes stretched upwards, squinting as she looked for something incorporeal floating above Seulgi’s head.

“I think,” Seungwan said in a cheery tone, “you have already met your destined love.”

Seulgi gasped loudly as she brought a hand up to cover , her face the picture perfect expression of happiness. She looked over to Joohyun with wild eyes before saying slowly, voice filled with awe, “I was right. She totally is the one I am meant to be with.”

“I see you have a believer,” Sooyoung said playfully as she watched Seulgi. Eyes turning speculative, Sooyoung took a long sip of her drink, gaze resting thoughtfully on Seulgi before finally asking, “So, you’re seeing a girl?”

A tiny squeak of surprise escaped Joohyun’s throat as Seulgi suddenly blushed and looked away. Joohyun’s fist curled into a ball as she watched Sooyoung’s face, gauging the girls expression, ready to defend her lifelong friend if the taller girl dared to say anything cruel about her life choices. “Yeah,” Seulgi replied softly.

“I can’t really say I’m surprised,” Sooyoung said with a shrug, voice turning wry. “Most of Seungwannie’s fanbase are raging lesbians.”

“Yah, Park Sooyoung,” Seungwan blurted out, eyes casting daggers at her friend, voice turning stiff, “Show a little tact, okay?”

“Sorry, sorry,” Sooyoung said quickly as she held up her hands, eyes glancing between the other three girls at the table. “I didn’t mean for it to sound disrespectful or anything. It’s just the reality of it. Most of your fans are really into girl love.”

“I know,” Seungwan said quickly as she reached over to give Seulgi a comforting pat on the arm, “but we have to be considerate of everyone’s feelings. You know as well as I do that love can happen anywhere and between any two people.” She turned to offer a weak smile at Seulgi, “Sooyoung is just blunt, she’s also annoyed that she has a famous friend who she can’t use to meet guys.”

Joohyun watched the play between the two, her fists slowly unclenching as she relaxed, a sudden respect welling up inside of her as she watched Seungwan gently put her friend in place. She felt relieved knowing Seungwan wasn’t repulsed, letting out a pent up breath unconsciously held in.

“It’s okay,” Seulgi said with a failed attempt at a wink, both eyes flashing closed and open at the same time, “I’m not exactly out but I don’t really hide it either.”

“So, how did you know she met her destined love,” Joohyun suddenly asked, drawing all eyes to her.

“To be honest,” Seungwan started, her cheeks flushing in a faint pink blush, “I was sort of guessing. I can’t see any numbers over her head.” Reaching up, she waved her hand over Seulgi’s head, passing through the spot those numbers would float for her to see. “That means one of two things. She either met her destined love already or she’s destined to never meet one.” Joohyun’s lips drew into a deep frown as she listened.

“But you’re just too pretty and cute and adorable for me to believe you would never find that one person,” Seungwan said as she reached out to give Seulgi’s cheek a pinch, the girl blushing at the sudden familiarity being offered by her favorite singer.

“So some people never find their destined love,” Joohyun said with a frown, the thought of it tugging at her heart, making it feel heavy. Biting her lip, she found herself looking around, eyes drifting to the empty space above people's heads, wondering. Beside her, Sooyoung gave a soft chuckle.

“I do that sometimes too,” Sooyoung admitted as she watched Joohyun’s eyes dart from person to person around the. Eyes filled with mirth, bright lips curling into a wry smile. “I know I can’t see what Seungwan does, but every now and then when she’s talking about it, I find myself trying.”

With a sudden blush, Joohyun quickly gazed down and into her lap, hands wringing and embarrassment washed over her. “I don’t know,” she said softly, “I just like thinking that love is out there for everyone.”

“Oh, that doesn’t mean they won’t know love,” Seungwan quickly said, voice raising an octave as she leaned towards Joohyun, seeking to comfort the woman. “Everyone gets to know love! It’s just that not everyone gets to know love with their soul mates. Even still, it’s a beautiful thing.” Seungwan noted the way Joohyun’s shoulders relaxed, cheeks going slack as though her words were like a calming salve.

“Except you,” Sooyoung said, piercing eyes settling on Seungwan. Their eyes met as something silent passed between them, a flash of a conversation that old friends could make with just a simple glance. Joohyun could feel a sudden unease between the two before Seungwan broke the darkening mood by twisting up her face comically, sticking her tongue out at Sooyoung.

“Oh hush, Sooyoung,” Seungwan finally said as she tapped her fingers on the edge of the table, fingernails clacking out a slow rhythm. “We’ve been over this a hundred times. I’m okay with my situation.”

“Situation?” Joohyun leaned forward, wondering why she was so curious when she wasn’t even sure she believed the whole notion of it all.

“Oh, it’s nothing,” Seungwan said as she waved the question off. Turning her eyes to Joohyun, she offered a warm smile that threatened to melt the woman with it’s brilliance before flicking her gaze upwards, eyes squinting. “If you want, I can tell you the exact date and minute you meet yours,” Seungwan offered.

“Don’t do it,’ Sooyoung quickly interject as she placed her drink on the table quickly, reaching out to grab Joohyun’s forearm with ice cold fingers. “It’s better to let it happen organically.”

“I regularly offer to tell her how many minutes she has left but she always refuses,” Seungwan said as she pointed at Sooyoung.

“Because I don’t want to know,” Sooyoung said with a cool voice as she reached up to twirl a strand of black, silken hair about a finger. Her voice grew wistful, eyes turnly glassy as she spoke, “I want to meet him and fall in love without the clock ticking. I want to live in that moment and let it happen freely, so I don’t want to know.”

“I can respect that,” Seulgi said slowly. “I guess it’s like the difference between people who read the last chapter of a book first and the ones who want to be surprised at the ending, right?”

“How unusually astute of you,” Joohyun teased only to find herself at the end of a buffet of light, playful slaps from Seulgi’s hands. A round of laughter filled the air as the foursome devolved into giggles. “I’m not sure I want to know,” Joohyun finally said before biting her lip, a mask of uncertainty on her face.

“Then think about it.” Snapping her fingers, Seungwan’s face lit up before grabbing her guitar bag, pulling it into her lap. Rummaging through the front pocket, she in her lower lip, eyes scrunching tight in concentration.

“She looks like a hamster,” Joohyun thought, finding the girl adorable.

Pulling a small stack of advertisement handbills from her bag, she quickly pulled two off the top and laid them out on the table in front of Joohyun and Seulgi. “How about this. I’m playing at a new club opening this Friday in Hongdae. Why don’t you think about it until then. Come see me play and you can tell me then. I promise, I will one hundred percent respect whatever you decide.”

Joohyun pondered the offer a moment before nodding, a hand falling to rest on the handbill in front of her. She was willing to let herself entertain the notion that Seungwan was for real. “Okay, it’s a deal.” The sudden beam of happiness that lit up Seungwan’s face, the way the girl’s cheeks seemed to puff up as eyes scrunched with her smile, the white of her teeth flashing as her lips drew so wide Joohyun thought the girls face would split in two. It made her want to laugh.

“I’m coming too,” Seulgi quickly said as she grabbed the flyer in front of her. “Is that okay?”

“Of course it is,” Seungwan cooed as she flipped her notebook to the last page. Taking the marker in hand again, she popped off the lid and looked between the two girls. “Give me your last names and I’ll put you on the list. It’ll save you from having to pay the cover charge.”

“Bae”

“Kang”

Jotting down their names, she capped the pen and folded the notebook shut before shoving them both into her guitar bag again, zipping it shut. “Done.” As she spoke, the soft buzz of her phone radiated out from her shirt pocket. Digging it out, she glanced at the lock screen as an alarm notification that simply said, “Music Lesson at 5” was written across it.

“I have to give a music lesson in 10 minutes,” Seungwan said as she quickly glanced up at Sooyoung. “Mind if I leave first?”

“By all means,” Sooyoung said in a sarcastic voice, “Just run off and leave me with two complete strangers.” Her eyes sparkled mischief, voice lilting as she teased, “Perhaps I’ll tell them all kinds of stories about you and shatter that image of Wendy the vocalist. Remember sixth grade?”

“Go ahead,” Seungwan challenged. “You’re a heavy sleeper and I have a key to your apartment,” she said as she stood, swinging her guitar back onto her back. She made a face at Sooyoung before turning to Seulgi and Joohyun. Making a clicking noise with her tongue, she shot them finger guns and a wink before declaring, “See you on Friday!”

Before anyone could respond, Seungwan had turned herself around and leaned forward, tiny feet peddling quickly as she took off down the sidewalk looking as though she might topple over from the weight of the large guitar bag. “She looks like a little kid when she does that,” Sooyoung said before looking over at Joohyun. “It’s cute though, right?”

Laughing, Joohyun nodded. Picking up the handbill, she gave it a quick look and felt her stomach drop. The black piece of paper had images of diamonds and pearls stretching across the edges as a border and “Grand Opening: Black Velvet Club” written in elegant lettering, glistening with glitter. She glanced up at Seulgi with heavy eyes, the girl looking at a duplicate in her own hands.

“Is this?” Seulgi’s eyes slowly looking up to regard her friend, concern flashing over her features.

“Rosies new club. Yes,” Joohyun said softly, shoulders hunching forward as she felt the energy seeping out of her body.

“Do you think she’ll be there?”

“Most definitely”

“Are you still planning on going?”

“I don’t know.”

With a raise brow, Sooyoung crossed arms over her chest and leaned back in the chair, foot waving back and forth as her eyes darted between the two, watching as they fell into a solemn silence.

Authors Notes: I updated the story foreward to explain when chapters will be released. Sometimes they will come out close together, sometimes there will a bit of time as I work on the story. This one is very close to my heart and I want it to come out right.