Chapter 14: Rose Scented Breeze

55,365 minutes

Seungwan sat perched on the edge of her couch, elbows resting on her knees as her hands hung loosely clasped together. She was staring at nothing. The rustle of Sooyoung moving about down the hallway, shifting from bathroom to bedroom as she was busy getting ready for work, was the only sound in the apartment. The curtains had been thrown open, the window cracked to let in the cool spring air, the scent of cut roses on the air.

Her bed had felt empty when she woke up, her arms instinctively reaching and searching for someone not there. She had laughed at how quickly Joohyun’s presence became familiar to the point where she simply expected the woman to be there when she woke up in the morning. In a way it also irked her only in that she had found someone who could break down the walls she had erected just when her life was getting busy. Her lazy days of writing music and teaching piano were coming to an end.

Closing her eyes, she thought about the whirlwind schedule ahead of her for the day. A radio interview in the morning followed by a meeting at her company to go over the schedule for the next month and finally a photo shoot set to stretch into the evening. “It’s good though,” she whispered to herself. There were so many things she had wanted and for her music to touch people had been one of her greatest wishes. She genuinely loved music and wanted to share it with others whether it garnered her fame or not.

But right now, most of all, she wanted to be with Joohyun.

“What time do you have to leave,” Sooyoung asked, the girl’s head poking out from the hallway. A moment passed with no response, her eyes rolling as she watched Seungwan simply sit on the edge of the couch, lost in her pensive state. Stepping fully into the living room, Sooyoung strode across the small living room in long, bold steps to slip in front of Seungwan. Reaching out, she poked Seungwan’s forehead with a long, red fingernail and said, “Earth to Seungwan.”

Blinking, Seungwan jerked and reached up to clap a hand over her forehead, eyes scrunching shut, lips twisting as she yelped, “Ouch! What did you do that for?”

Smirking, Sooyoung smirked down at Seungwan, placing her hands on her hips as she leaned over and said in a soft, playful voice usually reserved for playing with puppies, “Because you weren’t answering my question. What time do you have to leave?”

“In about 30 minutes,” Seungwan said, her face and voice abashed. Pushing herself off the couch, she drew herself to a stand. Her face softened, eyes turning liquid as she looked at Sooyoung. 

“What’s with the look,” Sooyoung asked when Seungwan stepped into her, slender arms slipping about the girl’s ribs, drawing her in for a hug. Sooyoung’s eyes widened in surprise, her voice filled with confusion as she asked, “What is all this?”

“Thank you,” Seungwan said in a happy voice, eyes shut as she rested her head on Sooyoung’s shoulder and began to rock the girl back and forth. There was a genuine thankfulness in her voice as she squished her friend again and said, “Thank you for helping Joohyun.”

“Oh,” Sooyoung said before breaking into a low laugh, returning Seungwan’s hug. “She must have told you I was helping her.” Seungwan nodded against her shoulder. “You’re not mad?”

“No,” Seungwan stated emphatically.

“Good,” Sooyoung said as she reached up to grasp Seungwan by the shoulders, separating them enough so she could look at her friend’s face. There was friendly love in her gaze, happiness on her lips as she said, “She’s perfect for you, Seungwannie.”

Seungwan blushed, lips curling into a lovesick grin. “I think so too. I’m so unbelievably scare but she’s just..” Her lips pursed, eyes rolling upwards as she sought for a word to explain just what she felt about Joohyun. “Perfect,” she settled for, knowing it still didn’t encompass the depth of what she was feeling. “How easy it would have been if she and I had matching numbers.”

“I don’t think so,” Sooyoung said quickly. “I would never want to know if someone had a matching number with me,” she began in a serious voice, her tone hushed, “because I would always be left wondering if I fell in love with them for real or because I thought I had too. I wouldn’t want to love someone with that question sitting in the back of my mind.”

Seungwan simply hugged her friend a long minute, letting those words sink in. “Huh,” she finally said in consternation. She gave Sooyoung a narrow eyed, speculative look and said, “You’re really a full of wisdom for someone who can be so evil, aren’t you, Sooyoungie?”

“I agree,” Sooyoung said as she cocked her head to the side. The girl’s red lips curved wickedly, eyes glinting evil as she suddenly asked, “So, how was it?”

Blinking, Seungwan’s brows furrowed as she asked, “How was what?”

Sooyoung’s evil smirk deepened, her brows wiggling as she said in a lewd voice, “We could hear you two. You get noisy when excited.”

Seungwan gasped, falling wide opens as panic settled in her eyes. She worked her lips, incomprehensible words slipping out as Sooyoung broke into a boisterous laugh. Slipping from Seungwan’s hug, the girl began to back away, giving a wink before saying in a teasing tone, “Certainly sounded like it was good.”

As Sooyoung ran into the hallway, a magazine, thrown from Seungwan’s hand, smacked against the wall where the girl had just been standing.

***

Seungwan shouldered her bag and stepped out of her apartment building, a strong breeze rushing over her. The long, yellow linen dress she wore billowed about her, her hair whipping and whirling. Reaching up, she began to quickly smooth her dark locks when she paused, a smile growing on her lips as she caught sight of Joohyun standing at the bottom of the steps.

She felt her heart skip a beat, her head swimming as she asked in a surprised voice, “What are you doing here?” She watched as Joohyun quirked a single brow, the woman starting up the steps towards her. Black dress slacks and a blue, button down dress shirt gave Joohyun a professional appearance. Seungwan had to admit she found the look appealing.

“Sooyoung texted me what time you were going to leave,” Joohyun said as she came to stand before Seungwan, a hand reaching up to rest on the girl’s upper arm, giving it a soft squeeze, “I figured that since you are busy all day, I could drive you to your first appointment.”

“I’d love that,” Seungwan blurted out in a loud voice. She quickly clapped shut and looked around abashed as Joohyun gave a low, throaty chuckle. “I really would,” Seungwan began after clearing , voice dropping almost to a whisper, “but do you have time? I don’t want you to neglect work.”

Joohyun shook her head. “I do have to get my work done but I’m just shifting my hours. Since you’ll be busy into the evening, I’m going to start my shift later so I could spend time with my girlfriend.”

That word made Seungwan’s lips burst into an involuntary grin, her entire body tingling. She swayed her shoulders back and forth, eyes scrunching shut as she smiled. “I love hearing you call me that, Hyun.”

Joohyun took Seungwan by the hand, “Then come along, my sweet, greasy girlfriend,” Joohyun said as she pulled the girl beside her. “I’m parked at my office so it’s just a short walk. I figured that would give us an extra few minutes together.”

“How very thoughtful of you,” Seungwan said as they descended the steps. “I don’t know how long the photo shoot is going to be later today,” she said with a sigh, her eyes glancing sidelong at Joohyun as they strode down the street, hand in hand, arms swinging. “But if it’s not too late, want to grab dinner together?”

“I think dinner would be nice,” Joohyun said with a pleased voice, “but how about I come over to your place instead of us going out?” She glanced at her girlfriend, a fire in the woman’s eyes, the set of her features making Seungwan wonder if she was to be dinner.

Clearing , Seungwan nodded, “I’d like that. In fact, I’d love to cook for you. I’m actually a fantastic cook,” Seungwan started, her voice gaining momentum as her eyes flashed excitement, “I always thought I’d be a chef if I didn’t make it in music. I guess you could say I love creating and food is such a wonderful way to explore new things!”

Joohyun threw her head back and laughed, guiding Seungwan closer to her side as they walked, happy to listen to the girl chatter. The excitement in the girl’s voice seemed to radiate into her movements, steps exaggerated, eyes bulging as she spoke, “I’m going to make you a romantic meal. Sooyoung has her dog trainer classes tonight so she won’t be home till late.”

The mention of Sooyoung suddenly made her blush, the way her friend had this morning. She sudden fell silent, lips drawing into a tight line as a shyness washed over her. “What’s this?” Joohyun cocked her head as she looked at the girl. “You shift gears so fast. One moment you’re excited and the next you look like a puppy caught doing something you’re not supposed to.”

Clearing , Seungwan said in a soft voice, “Apparently, the last night we were together camping, Sooyoung heard us,” she fell silent, unsure exactly how to phrase it without being crass.

“Exploring our carnal instincts,” Joohyun ventured, her voice calm and even. Seungwan hung her head, face filled with shame. “She’s a big girl,” Joohyun said with a chuckle, “but she won’t be there tonight to hear, right?”

Seungwan’s cheeks grew so red one might think she had been burnt by the sun.

***

Joohyun’s car rolled to a stop before a small building, unassuming on the corner of quiet streets. Two double glass doors were the only indication it was a radio station, the numbers 93.4 painted on them in bright red letters. “Here we are,” Joohyun said as she put the car into park, leaning forward to rest her arms across the top of the steering wheel, turning to face her passenger.

Seungwan was starting out the window, a low sigh on her lips as she unbuckled the seatbelt. “I haven’t done a radio interview in a while,” she said, turning her gaze to Joohyun. “I’m kind of nervous.”

Joohyun offered an understanding smile. “Just but the intelligent, vibrant, beautiful woman I know you are and everything will be fine.”

“Greasy,” Seungwan said playfully, reaching out to rest a hand on Joohyun’s arm. “Does the deal go the other way? Do you now owe me a kiss?” She watched as Joohyun’s eyes smoldered, the woman starting to lean over in her seat. “Whoa, wait up,” Seungwan exclaimed, her eyes darting about, looking out the windows to see if anyone was near.

Joohyun paused, the woman taking a deep breath to steady herself as she clenched her eyes. “Right, sorry,” she said, “probably not the best idea to do that here where someone could see.” Her voice was contrite as she smile wanly. “You really do drive me crazy,” she said in a hushed sigh.

“I’m glad I do,” Seungwan said with a grin. Reaching out, she took Joohyun’s hand into her own, thumb slowly tracing a circle in the woman’s soft palm. “This will be my kiss,” Seungwan said happily. “Whenever we are in public, and I trace a circle on your palm, think of it as a kiss.”

Joohyun’s face split into a beatific smile, eyes filled with warmth as she gave a nod. “I’d wind up wearing a hole in your palm with how often I want to kiss you.”

“Insatiable,” Seungwan said in a loving tone. “I have to get in there. I’ll send you a text when I’m done.” With another slow, circling trace against Joohyun’s palm, she grasped the door handle and swung it open. As she stepped out, she swore she could feel Joohyun’s eyes on her backside, hot and hungry. Closing the door, she gave a wink to Joohyun and waved before turning and heading towards the small radio station.

***

The intern looked haggard. His dark hair was shooting in all directions and black bags had formed beneath his eyes. His grey t-shirt was crumpled and wrinkled, stains of a hastily eaten meal strewn across the front. He handed Seungwan a piece of paper as he ushered her down the long hallway, “Here is the list of questions they are going to ask,” his words rushed.

The hallway was adorned with pictures and posters, singers dating back to the mid 80’s up through the most recent idol groups staring back at her. She wanted to pause and look, examine some of the singers that had come before her but was afraid to stop else she might earn the wrath of this tired college student.

“They usually stay on the course of these questions unless one of your answers gives them another direction to go,” he said as they reached a door halfway down the hall. A laminated piece of paper that simply read, “Waiting Room” was taped to the door. Swinging it open he ushered her in.

The room was surprisingly large, a couch of grey microfiber cloth was pushed against the far wall, a low table of dark wood before it, a doorway into the studio beside it. The wall to her right was a row of chairs, blue and white checkered fabric with stained wood arms and legs, something she would have expected to find in a doctor's waiting room. A round table sat in the middle of the room, eight plastic chairs with metal legs tucked in around it.

The left wall was a giant wall of glass that looked in on the radio studio, three tables arranged in a triangle format with microphones resting atop them. She could see the DJ at the other end, his baseball cap pulled down tight over his brow as he talked.

Their backs to her sat a handful of girls, all dressed in white and green cheerleader outfits. Their hair ranged from black to bright orange, all of them looked tall and thin, exactly what was expected from an idol. She shuddered, imaging that she could have been one of those girls had she gone the idol route.

“You can listen to the show if you want,” the intern said as he pointed to a speaker mounted on the far wall, a single volume dial jutting out from the bottom. “It’s turned down now but you can turn it up.” He motioned towards the wall of glass and the girls beyond, “They’ll be wrapping up shortly. From there it will be a 10 minute section discussing the current latin music trend in music. Five minute commercial break where you will go in and get ready then you’re on. Any questions?”

The look on his face made it clear he was desperately hoping she didn’t have any, ready to move onto the next task that had been dumped on him. She was tempted to ask something unnecessary and watch him die a little inside but instead shook her head. “No, I’m good.” As he gave a quick bow and left, she wondered if a bit of Yeri’s mischief had rubbed off on her.

Settling down into the seat, she looked over the paper, glossing over the standard set of questions she had grown used to. What was it like coming from Canada to Korea? How often did she get to go home? What inspired her music? Beyond the normal questions it ran into the silly, asking her to play word games or do a cute act.

A cute act.

She shuddered at the thought, the idea of having to act cute at someone else's request distasteful. She had been told she was cute naturally but wasn’t sure she believed it. As she was lost in thought, a tone chimed and she looked up. Through the window she could see the group of girls stand and bow, chatting with the DJ for a moment. Even though she had eschewed the idol life herself, she still had to admit it was a hard path to choose and had to respect anyone who did walk that path.

She was smiling at them, hoping the best for them when one of the girl’s turned, her brown hair billowing as she slapped the girl next to her, laughing. Her smile slipped. She felt the piece of paper slip from her fingers, falling in a lazy circle to land on the floor. “Run,” her mind told her but her body refused, her limbs locked where they were.

As the girl’s shuffled out of the door from the studio and into the waiting room, she held her breath, head rolling forward as she brought a hand up to cover her face, mind repeating, “Don’t notice me, don’t notice me,” like it was a spell that would turn her invisible.

“Seungwan?”

The voice hit her like a truck. She felt the wind rush out of her lungs, her head swim as she winced. She slowly drew her hand away, eyes rising to see her standing just a few feet away. A smile was plastered on the girl’s face. Seungwan her lips, suddenly dry, her field of vision narrowing until she could only see this pretty girl.

“Sejeong,” she said, softly, forcing a smile to her lips. 

With a giddy laugh, Sejeong ran to fall in the seat beside her. “Everyone, this is my old friend,” she said to her teammates, all now turned to watch with interest. “I showed you the video of her playing the piano and singing the other day, remember?” All at once their mouths fell open in recognition, stumbling over each other as they began to lavish Seungwan with praise.

Their words fell on deaf ears, her eyes locked into Sejeongs. She could barely mutter a thanks and bowed her head, the girl group doing the same. A moment later the door to the waiting room swung open, a ladies head poking in. Short cropped hair and heavy glasses with black plastic rims, she looked over the group and said in an authoritative voice, “We have to get going. The van is out front.”

“Can I have a few minutes,” Sejeong asked as she turned in her seat, her eyes pleading as she looked at her manager. The lady pursed her lips a moment, glancing past Sejeong to Seungwan and nodded. As the girls shuffled out, waving their goodbye’s to Seungwan, her hand raising to return them on sheer instinct, she wondered if this was how she was going to die. From shock.

As the door shut, Sejeong turned to her, reaching out and grasping her hand. Without a thought, Seungwan snatched it away, her face looking offended. Sejeong’s smile slipped, eyes falling downcast as she said, “I… deserve that kind of reaction, I suppose.”

Seungwan could see the dejection on the girl’s face and heaved a sigh, finding her breath and voice, “No, I was just surprised. I never really blamed you for what happened. I just had never thought I would see you again,” Seungwan said in a low voice.

“Same here,” Sejeong said as she dropped her hands into her lap, wringing them slowly. “I’ve thought about you a lot,” she blurted out before shrinking back. “I just didn’t know how to reach out to you.”

“My phone number never changed,” Seungwan said, her voice emotionless.

“Then can I call you sometime?” There was a hope in the girl’s voice that almost made Seungwan recoil.

“I doubt your girlfriend would like that,” Seungwan said. There wasn’t any bitterness in her voice. It was true that she had never blamed Sejeong for leaving her, knowing that it was the work of fate. She had settled the blame of her heartbreak squarely upon her own shoulders. 

“I don’t have a girlfriend.”

The wind was taken out of Seungwan’s lungs a second time, her face snapping to look at Sejeong with utter disbelief. She shook her head as though trying to clear it, her voice lace with incredulity as she asked, “You don’t have a girlfriend?”

“No, we broke up a long while back,” Sejeong admitted.

“How,” Seungwan blurted out before clamping shut, eyes bulging as she looked around. Learning forward, she lowered her voice to a whisper and spoke. “She was your soulmate. You two were destined to be together.”

Sejeong blinked before giving a low laugh, shaking her head ruefully. “You’re still on about that? You always did see it as black and white,” Sejeong said as she forced a smile to her lips. “She and I decided that we were terrible for each other as lovers but make amazing friends. She’ll be my best friend for life.”

Seungwan blinked, her mind trying desperately to absorb those words and their implications. She sat back, slack mouthed, eyes wide. She felt Sejeong’s hand fall on hers once more, fingertips slowly caressing the length of her fingers. The girl leaned over, mouth inches from Seungwan’s ear as she whispered in a voice that once set her on fire, “I remember when you were writing that song. I knew it was for me. When I saw the video of you singing it, I desperately wanted to see you again.”

Before Seungwan could utter a word, the door swung open, the manager stepping in and saying to Sejeong, “We have to go. Now.” With a final caress of her hand, Sejeong stood and offered a hopeful smile to Seungwan as she backed towards the door. There was hopefulness in the girl’s eyes, her words heavy with implication as she said, “I’ll call you. I miss what we were,” before slipping out the door.

At the other end of the room, the door leading to the radio studio opened. The haggard intern appeared once more, staring down at his clipboard as he said, “Five minutes.”

 

Authors Notes: I'm pretty sure everyone knew Sejeong would appear again with the hints being dropped along the way, though most probably thought it would be at a music show. Surprise! This story is going to be on hiatus for the next few weeks while I do my real life stuffs. Honestly, I think it's a good time to take a break and reset a bit. I'm also going to forcibly slow down the future releases as I feel that the quality of the writing has suffered due to the pace. See y'all in a few weeks!