Chapter 3: Perfect 10

55,365 minutes

Joohyun felt on edge, her shoulders pulled in tight and hunched as she let Seulgi guide her through the throngs taking over Hongdae streets. Buskers and dance crews were filling the street, crowds forming around them to watch the impromptu performances. She hate crowds. She hated the feel of people crushing in about her and the loud noise that always accompanied drunken groups, talking animatedly about “the next round.”

Even more so, she hated the stares. The way men would leer at her as she walked by or the jealous looks other women would throw her way. She always felt like she was under a microscope when she dressed up and went out in full makeup. She much rather enjoyed the anonymity of a plain hoodie and faded jeans.

“Hang in there,” Seulgi said, the girl’s fingers grasping at Joohyun’s wrist in a death grip, afraid the woman would run given the change. “We got all dressed up and took a cab all the way out here so we might as well see it through.” 

She had spent over an hour rummaging through her closet, trying to find something stylish that still fit her. It had been a while since she had bought new clothes that weren’t for work. Going out and partying had fallen off her to do list, responsibility having caught up with her. She had to settle for a old jean skirt and blue, frilly top that hung off the shoulders.

“I shouldn’t be going,” Joohyun said, her voice raised to fight over the crowd and music. “I haven’t even made a decision on this yet and if I run into her,” her voice trailed away, knowing she didn’t need to finish the sentence. Seulgi knew the pain she had been in, how the long hours had ground her down and the loss of her making it almost unbearable.

“It’ll be okay,” Seulgi said, dragging Joohyun around a corner, the crush of people suddenly growing light as they moved down a more somber street, filled with quieter bars and lounges compared to the vibrant clubs and restaurants behind them now. She breathed a sigh of relief, her shoulders going lax. “I’ll be there with you and I can kick her if you want me to.”

Joohyun blinked a moment before breaking into a fit of giggles, the image of Seulgi’s face contorted in rage and throwing punches just too foreign, too impossible really, to even be considered.

“I could do it,” Seulgi said, voice hurt.

“I know you could,” Joohyun said soothingly even if she didn’t believe it. “You can let go now, I promise I’m not going to turn around.” She rubbed her wrist slowly as Seulgi’s hand slipped away, skin dimpled with fingerprints.

“Oh, it’s right there!” Seulgi pointed ahead to a sign hanging off the side of a building, concrete steps leading up to a black door where a pair of bouncers stood, a red velvet rope stretched across the entryway. There was a small line of people waiting, lined up down the sidewalk. She looked at them curiously as she passed, wondering at the fact that the line was made up entirely of women.

“Don’t we have to wait in line,” Joohyun asked as they drew closer to the entrance.

“You really never go to clubs, do you?” Seulgi shook her head and looked over her shoulder at Joohyun, a smirk pulling at her lips, eyes dancing with mirth. “If you’re on the list you get to go right in. Let’s hope Seungwan actually put us on it, right?”

“Oh,” was all she could reply as they quickly moved up the steps. As they reached the top, their eyes began to stretch upwards, mouths falling slack as their heads were almost bent fully back to regard the man now turned to face them. Tall and imposing, his shoulders were easily as wide as Seulgi and Joohyun’s put together. 

“Names?” His voice was heavy, almost guttural as she looked down at them.

“Kang Seulgi and Bae Joohyun,” Seulgi said cutely as she slid her hand into Joohyun’s, fingers lacing tight as she beamed up at the man with her crescent eyes. His rough demeanor melted beneath that soft gaze, unable to resist just how cute this tiny girl was, a rolling chuckle filling his throat as he looked at the clipboard clutched in his hand. 

“Ah, here you are. Welcome to Club Black Velvet.” With that he unhooked the velvet rope and stepped aside as the second man, much smaller but equally as wide, swept the door open for them.

Stepping through, Joohyun had to admit it wasn’t anything like she had expected. She remembered, two years ago, sitting outside a convenience store eating instant ramen, Rosie and Lisa across from her, animatedly talking about their plans to open an intimate club. “It’ll be like walking into a gorgeous house, with multiple rooms and soft jazz or R&B playing.” 

Now, standing in what felt like the foyer of a mansion with dark travertine floors and cherry wood paneling on the walls, she began to understand just what Rosie meant. “This must have cost a fortune to decorate,” she said with a low whistle as they stepped through the entryway and into the main room.

The heady scent of oiled wood and booze seemed to roil in the air as she glanced about, taking in the large room. Heavy, crystal chandeliers that sparkled in the dim light hung in a long row down the room’s center, leather chairs and couches scattered about with gilded floor lamps around the perimeter that cast long beams up the wood paneled walls. A bar stretched along the wall to her left, rows and rows of alcohol set out on display.

Women lounged on the furniture, talking amongst themselves as waitresses in black slacks and metallic tops that glittered in the soft light moved about delivering drinks and taking orders. In the far corner she caught a glimpse of a black lacquer baby grand piano, beside it a worn second hand guitar in a stand that felt out of place. A guitar she knew.

“This is amazing,” Seulgi said with awe in her voice as she looked about the room. “Good for Rosie.”

“Good for Rosie, indeed,” came a voice beside them causing the pair to jump to the side in unison. Glancing over at source the voice, Joohyun felt that weight in her stomach grow heavier as they fell on the tall woman with blonde hair and almond shaped eyes, leaning against the bar while dressed head to toe in designer clothes. She watched as the woman’s wide lips grew into a warm smile. “I never thought I would see the pair of you walk through these doors and at the invitation of Wendy nonetheless.”

Joohyun fought to still her beating heart, her mind telling her to run away from this place. To pry Seulgi’s hands from her arm and just flee. As though reading her mind, Seulgi nudged her with her hip before flashing a soft, squishy smile at Lisa. “To be honest, we almost didn’t come but I told Joohyun that what she had to say to Seungwan was of utmost importance.”

They watched as Lisa’s brows raised, sounding amused as she asked, “You’re on first name basis with her and have something important to say to her? I had to admit, I was surprised when she asked to put your names on the list.” Those large, expressive eyes seem to bore into Joohyun, goosebumps rising on the patches of exposed skin on her neck and arms. “You’re not going to rattle the talent before she’s supposed to take the stage are you?”

Rolling her eyes, Joohyun shook her head. “Nothing like that. Don’t misunderstand Seulgi, she’s just stirring up trouble.” The unabashed grin that overtook Seulgi’s face let Joohyun know she was speaking the truth. “We’re just recently acquainted and she offered to help me with something and I’m here to talk to her about it.”

“Wendy’s set doesn’t start for a short bit,” Lisa said with a sigh as she pushed herself off from the bar. She towered over the pair, her eyes looking down at Joohyun with a touch of sadness pulling at their corners. “Since you’re friends, I’ll take you to her dressing room. Come on.” Turning, she beckoned for them to follow with a crooked finger.

As they walked, Lisa swept a hand to encompass the main room, “This is the biggest room. We call it Square One because it’s square and it’s the first one,” she said with a sigh, “Rosie wasn’t too creative about it.” She led them into a long hallway lined with sconces, soft lights that flickered and wavered like candlelight giving it almost an eerie feel. Small tables of dark wood with slender legs were nestled against the walls decorated with plants and small pictures.

Passing another room, Lisa casually motioned at it, “Square Two. Same as One only smaller.” Their glanced in as they passed, and it was indeed, a smaller copy of the first one only it lacked the stage for music. Large speakers were mounted on the walls, one in each corner. “We pipe in the music from the first room here.”

As they began to draw near the end of the halway, the paused at another doorway, this one smaller than the others. Lisa stood at the edge and beckoned them to peek in beside her. Huddling, Seulgi and Joohyun looked in. “It’s very… red.”

“It is,” Lisa said with a laugh. “We call this the Red Room.” Bright red paneling ran halfway up the walls, giving way to cream wallpaper with large red flowers and hearts speckled across it. Couches and chairs of crushed velvet, all in different shades of red, filled the room. Chandeliers of red glass hung in a concentric pattern, moving towards the center of the room. Looking across, past the small gathering of people, Joohyun could see another doorway, darkness beyond it. 

“What’s that room,” she asked as she pointed it’s way.

“That’s a small room for things like poetry readings and stuff. It’s just rows of chairs and a single stool with a lone spotlight,” Lisa said slowly, obviously not wanting to expand upon it anymore. Joohyun’s eyes narrowed as she glanced over at the woman who was turning her face, hiding her expression with a fall of long, blonde hair. That heaviness in her stomach felt like a ball of iron. 

With a wave, Lisa started to the end of the hall where a single, white wood door almost blending into the wall stood closed. A small plaque engraved with “Staff Only” was screwed onto it. “This is the dressing room. She’s in here,” Lisa said before reaching up and knocking on it twice.

With a creak, the door cracked open, a single dark eye visible from within and a soft voice saying, “Yes?”

“Joohyun and Seulgi are here to see you,” Lisa said as she stepped aside, the pair of girls coming into Seungwan’s view.

“Oh,” Seungwan said as she flung the door open, face suddenly lighting up. Joohyun heard Seulgi give an appreciative whistle, one she couldn’t reproduce. It was like the wind had been out of her lungs. A tight, slinky black dress hugged the girl’s shapes, tiny curves that screamed out to be seen, pale skin that seemed to glow, almost forcing the eyes to pay attention to her. A long slit rode up on one side of the dress, glimpses of pale skin beneath flashing as she moved, tantalizing.

“You’ll catch flies,” Lisa suddenly said before giving her a nudge. Clacking shut, Joohyun looked away and up, wondering just what had come over her.

“Thank God you guys are here,” Seungwan suddenly said as she stepped aside. “Sooyoung was supposed to be here to help me get ready but she’s running late.” Her eyes settled on Joohyun’s, worried and pleading as she asked, “Can you give me a hand?”

“Of course we can,” Seulgi blurted out as she gave Joohyun a soft shake to knock the woman to her senses before stepping into the room. 

“I’ll leave you girls to it,” Lisa said as she gave Joohyun an appraising gaze. She took a step and paused, placing a hand on Joohyun’s arm to stay the woman. “Make sure you say hello to Rosie. She felt like she was forced to choose between you two after the breakup and she hates it. You were her friend first and she really misses you.”

Joohyun felt moved by the genuine tone of Lisa’s voice seeping past the lingering bitterness that threatened to rear its head any time her ex was alluded to. Finally, she nodded and place a hand on Lisa’s, giving it a familiar squeeze. “I will. I promise. I miss her too.” With a final smile between them, Lisa strode away, heels clacking loudly against the hard, shining floor.

Inhaling deeply, she closed her eyes and steadied herself before stepping into the dressing room, closing the door behind her. She looked around, noting the start difference between this small room and the rest of the club. Unadorned walls of simply white and a wall of lights with a long dressing vanity on one end and a simple couch on the other. Blinking, she pointed to a large blanket, tacked onto the wall at its corners, covering the area where a mirror should be. “What’s that about?”

Seungwan had settled into a small swivel seat at the vanity counter, legs crossed delicately as she shrugged, cryptically saying, “Just a superstition thing.” 

“Oh, I totally get it,” Seulgi said as she plopped down onto the couch, bouncing a few times to test it out. “I have my little rituals before I perform. 8 almonds. I have to eat 8 almonds. Afterwards I can go out on the dance floor and just kill it.”

“Almonds,” Seungwan said with a laugh. “You’re an odd one, Seulgi.”

“You’re the one with a blanket covering the mirror, Seungwan.”

“Good point, Seulgi.” The girl’s entire face lit up as she gave a loud guffaw of a laugh, Seulgi quickly joining in.

“So, you needed help with someone,” Joohyun said as she looked around, uncertain of what to do, trying hard not to stare at the Seungwan’s exposed neck. She wondered what the girl’s skin smelled like before shaking her head, trying to banish the sudden thought.

“I can’t do my makeup on my own,” Seungwan said as she bent over to pick up a silver makeup case. Unceremoniously sliding it onto the counter, she undid the retraining snap and opened it up. “I’m used to do doing light makeup without a mirror but I can’t do stage makeup alone.” She gazed up at Joohyun, concern tugging at the girl’s sculpted lips, eyes soft and warm.

“I’ll help,” Joohyun said after a long moment, moving to settle in the seat beside Seungwan, turning herself to face the girl. “I was in theater in high school and am used to doing makeup. It’s going to be soft lighting or will there be a spotlight on you?”

“There will be a spotlight. I’m going to going between the piano and a mic stand depending on the song. The concept is y lounge singer so dark red lipstick” Seungwan’s eyes fluttered closed as she leaned towards Joohyun, neck stretching out to present her soft face for the woman. “I’ve already done the foundation and concealer. I just need my eyes and lipstick done.”

Joohyun bit her lip as she let her eyes roam over the girl’s features, so pretty but unique. Her gaze slid downwards, taking in the slope of Seungwan’s neck before spilling to narrow, pale shoulders that would shine bright beneath those lights. Clearing , she turned her attention to the makeup case. “What color lipstick do you want?”

“Bright red,” Seungwan said before her voice fell low, a seductive tone pouring out from , “I want all the girls swooning over me.”

“I’m pretty sure I know at least one who will,” Seulgi say playfully. The soft pink that splash across Joohyun’s cheeks like it was painted with a brush lost on Seungwan, eyes still closed tight. "You're a perfect 10 in that dress."

Joohyun glanced into the makeup case before pulling out a small tube of liquid lipstick, bright red and glossy. “I’ll do the lipstick first,” she said timidly. Her eyes fell on Seungwan’s lips, the fullness of the girl’s bottom lip, the way they jutted out, felt so attractive to her. Clearing , she unscrewed the cap and drew out the long applicator, glistening bright red.

Hesitantly, she reached up to cup Seungwan’s chin with a hand, feeling like the girl’s skin was going to set her on fire. She focused on those lips, afraid to look anywhere else. “What is wrong with you,” Joohyun scolded herself internally. “It’s only because you haven’t touched someone in forever.” She began dragging the applicator across the girls mouth, watching as soft pink turned red, the small creases and crevices soaking up that color.

Seungwan’s eyes fluttered open, brown eyes like liquid honey as she watched the look of concentration on Joohyun’s face. The soft touch of the woman’s hand was like fire against her skin, hot sparks exploding on her cheeks. She watched the woman’s lips form into a soft pout, eyes scrunching ever so slightly.

“Done,” Joohyun said as she looked up, eyes suddenly caught in the soft warmth of Seungwan’s large eyes. She felt heat rising on her skin and though for a split second how easy it would be to just lean forward and place a kiss on this girl’s soft lips. Her head moving forward ever so slightly as though her body might just do that, a scent rolling off Seungwan, fresh and light, rising up to meet her senses. She inhaled softly, eyes twisting in curiosity. “Why do you smell like fabric softener,” Joohyun whispered.

“If you rub fabric softener sheets on your skin, it keeps mosquitos away,” Seungwan said slowly, even more conscious of the woman sitting so close.

With a forced cough, Joohyun quickly tore her gaze away, capping the lipstick bottle and placing it in the makeup case. She sat there, staring down at her own lap a long moment, the only sound in ears the beating of her heart. “I’m not ready,” she thought. “I shouldn’t have come here tonight,” racing through her mind. Across the room, sitting cross legged on the couch, Seulgi watched the pair with a placid face. 

Suddenly standing, Joohyun mumbled quickly, “Seulgi’s better at eyeshadow than I am,” her eyes glancing anywhere and everywhere except at Seungwan. Before Seulgi or Seungwan could open their mouths, she was out the door, shutting it with a loud clack behind her. She stumbled a step before placing a hand on the wall for balance. 

“Get a hold of yourself, Joohyun.” Taking a few, deep and relaxing breaths, she looked behind her, guilt suddenly taking over. She desperately wanted to go back through that door and apologize. More than that, she wanted to touch Seungwan’s face again. She wanted to stare at those lips. She hated that she wanted it.

“Too late to go back now,” She said to herself before walking down the halway on unsteady feet. She passed the small door to the Red Room and stopped, backing up to look across at the darkened doorway. She wondered why Lisa had been so circumspect about it. Stepping into the room, she wove her way around the furniture and people until she reached the far end.

Placing a hand on the doorframe, she stuck her head in, surprised at the sheer contrast of this room to the others. The travertine floor gave way to dark wood, hand scraped and gorgeous, with rows of black chairs with leather seatings, brown so dark they were almost black, and walls painted charcoal grey. What caught her attention were the pictures, stretched out in even intervals around the wall.

Blue skies and distant horizons, soft billowing clouds, all captured inside golden frames. Lights hung above them, shining down brightly to make them stand out against the darkened, somber feel of the room. Pictures that were never meant for others to see. Pictures taken in private moments, captured as physical manifestations of memories.

That iron ball in her stomach burned red hot, a sudden flash of anger washing over her. Turning on heel, she stomped through the room and down the hallway, people shuffling and jumping out of the way.

She placed her hands on the bar edge, eyes narrowed and dark, nostrils flaring as she glanced at a slender redhead talking with a bartender, giving instructions in a loud and animated voice. Steeling herself, Joohyun called out, “Rosie.”

The redhead spun around, eyes wide in surprised hearing her English nickname said in a voice she had almost forgotten. She started to run down the bar, her face filled with delight only to slow, steps growing smaller and smaller, as she saw the look of fury on Joohyun’s face. Her voice wavering, unadulterated happiness slipping to worry and distress as she simply asked, “Joohyun?”

She clenched her jaw, closing her eyes as she bit back harsh words. Her nails dug into the hard wood of the bar, her shoulders shaking as she slowly looked up. As calm as she could, she asked, “Who gave you permission to use my photos?” Rosie’s face sank as she wrung her hands, stammering but not making any real words. 

“I did. You gave them to me, I gave them to Rosie,” came a voice from behind her. A voice that made her world screech to a stop. A voice that regularly played in her ears, a memory she couldn’t shake. Her hands relinquished their biting grip on the bar as she slowly turned, that anger turning to dread.

They were face to face, cat like eyes staring at Joohyun, filled with ice. Lips painted a dark red, ones that were hers once to kiss at will. Soft cheeks that were once hers to caress. Black, silky hair drawn back into a ponytail to show off the woman’s lovely face, one that she had seen in tears and in ecstasy. 

“Jennie,” Joohyun said in a whisper.

In the hallway, Seungwan watched the pair before raising her arms, index fingers and thumbs formed into a box as she framed the pair. “48,861 minutes. Their numbers match,” she said softly before making a camera noise with , a picture to place in her memory.

Authors Notes: The chapters keep rolling out quickly on this story. I'm worried I might be going too fast? I'll still keep to my planned released method but I am sure it is going to slow down starting next week when my work schedule picks back up again. Next chapter you'll learn more about Seungwan and her past. Some of the questions I've had in the comments will finally be answered.