Chapter 19: Automatic

55,365 minutes

“Is she going to start pitching in for rent?”

Seugwan looked up from the notepad on her lap, eyes blinking as she glanced to Sooyoung. The tall girl was standing in the kitchen, dressed in green scrubs and her hair drawn up into a high ponytail. She pursed her lips and watched as her room mate moved about, grabbing left overs from the fridge and shoving them into a lunch bag. “Why do you ask?”

Sooyoung gave a laugh before glancing over her shoulder at Seungwan, her lips drawing into a smirk. “She’s stayed here four nights in a row. I was just wondering if she was planning to move in at this point.”

A heated flush colored Seungwan’s cheeks as she looked down at her notepad again, a column of times and dates on the left margin with the corresponding schedules written out beside them. “Our apartment is just close to her office and with all the construction on the freeway it’s just easier for her to stay here,” Seungwan said in a calm voice. She didn’t feel calm, though.

“And all those strange noises coming from your room at night has nothing to do with it, I’m sure,” Sooyoung said, her voice playfully teasing an even deeper blush out of Seungwan’s cheeks. “I said you needed to get laid but I didn’t realize it would be every night.”


“Sooyoung,” Seungwan said, her voice a high pitched whine.

“I took the leftover bulgogi you guys didn’t eat last night,” Sooyoung said with a grin as she stepped out of the kitchen, her lunch bag held up in her hand to dangle on an outstretched finger. “It’s the least you guys can do for making it hard to sleep this week.”

“Oh,” Seungwan said suddenly, sitting up and pointing at Sooyoung with her pencil. “I almost forgot. Did you want to grab dinner with us when you get off work? We’ll buy.”

“Free food?” 

Seungwan gave a quick nod and Sooyoung’s grin deepend. “I’ll never say not to free food. Where and when?” Sooyoung asked as she moved to the entryway, placing her bag on the table and bending down to slip on her sneakers. She had honestly not minded Joohyun’s presence, the woman bringing a different kind of calm to the place. There was a new easiness in Seungwan, the girl’s chaotic energy seemingly drawn to a focus. 

“We’re going to meet up at Seulgi’s dance studio about 5:30 and then go to a snack bar from there. It’s supposed to have really good tteokbokki and ramyun,” Seungwan ventured. She gave Sooyoung a hopeful look knowing the girl would have preferred something more substantial. Sooyoung merely wiggled her lips side to side before shrugging.

“Okay, I’m in. Only because it’s free.”

“I’ll let Joohyun and Seulgi know,” Seungwan said as her face brightened. All of the people most precious to her were gathering tonight and it made her heart swell. She felt as though she needed it. The way her relationship with Joohyun had leapt forward, the way they spent their nights, had put a perpetual smile on her lips. It was enough to sustain her most days but tomorrow was going to be hard. Very hard.

When CEO You had decided she should have a comeback showcase the idea was foreign. She’d seen popular singers and idol groups do it but had never thought, never even bothered to consider, that she’d be holding one herself. Tomorrow she would be on stage, playing a piano and baring her soul the world through V-Live as she sang that song. Tonight she needed not just Joohyun but the entirety of her group of friends.

Sooyoung walked over, placed her lunch back on the coffee table and settled down on the couch beside Seungwan. “I want you to know, I’m happy for you,” Sooyoung said as she placed a soft hand on Seungwan’s arm. 

“I’m happy for me too,” Seungwan said with a goofy grin before laughing. The smile that split Sooyoung’s face pleased her. Her own features softened as she leaned over, resting her shoulder against Sooyoung and dropping her head to rest on the girl’s shoulder. “I wanted to thank you,” Seungwan began, her voice tender, “I don’t think this would have happened if you hadn’t been filling my mind with thoughts of moving on and accepting love.”

“You were living half a life,” Sooyoung said with a sight, “but now you’re fully living. If I helped you get there, then I’m happy for all those times I annoyed you.”

“A half life?” Seungwan asked, unsure what her best friend meant.

Sooyoung reached up and gently caressed Seungwan’s head, her voice sisterly as she spoke, “You only gave and never took. You watched others fall in love, you put your songs out there in the hopes of helping others feel that love but you never accepted it yourself. Only giving or taking love isn’t right,” Sooyoung said, her voice turning firm, filled with conviction. “You need to have both for a full life.”

Seungwan gave a little chuckle and shifted her gaze up, eyes on Sooyoung’s face, the determination that seemed to rest in the girl’s pretty features. “I get what you mean,” she said with a happy smile. “I’ll make sure to give Joohyun just as much love as she gives to me.”

“The way you both moan at night, you certainly have been,” Sooyoung said with a laugh. With bright red cheeks, Seungwan pulled away and started swatting Sooyoung on the arm. Laughing, Sooyoung began to swat back, their hands smacking arms and legs, never hard enough to really hurt. Finally Sooyoung just wrapped her arms about Seungwan, pulling the girl close, crushing her in a hug.

Sooyoung’s eyes fell to the notepad, now lying on the floor, and asked, “What’s going on May 30th? You have it circled in red. Do you start?”

“Sooyoung,” Seungwan said with a groan. “You don’t know my cycle by now?”

“No,” Sooyoung said as she began to caress hands across Seungwan’s back, feeling the small girl melt into her. “So, what’s going on May 30th?” 

“It’s when her numbers reach zero,” Seungwan said, her voice falling low. There was just the slightest quaver in it, less than Sooyoung would have expected hearing those words.

“Oh,” Sooyoung said as she placed a small kiss on Seungwan’s brow. “You got it figured out that far.” Seungwan nodded against her and Sooyoung squeezed her friend in her arms, “What are you thinking about it? I know you and the way you stress about things.”

“I’m okay with it,” Seungwan said. There was a truthfulness in her voice, a confidence that surprised Sooyoung. “I’ve come to grips with the fact that I won’t be her soul mate. Jennie and Irene will be best friends and they might have a connection that is disconcerting to me sometimes, but if I can have Joohyun’s love,” Seungwan began, a wistfulness filling her voice, “then I can be happy. I can have that full life you’re talking about.”

“This,” Sooyoung said, red lips pulling into her widest smile, so wide her cheeks felt like they might crack, “is the Seungwan I remember from when we were kids. Optimistic and full of energy. I Love it. I love you.”

“I love you too, Sooyoung,” Wendy said as she lifted her head, their eyes meeting. They sat there a long moment, simply holding one another, best friends. Seungwan wondered if she could have made it through everything, learned to be loved again, if not for this sassy girl. It didn’t take much contemplation to come to an answer. It would be a resounding “no.”

“I have to get to work,” Sooyoung said before placing a kiss on Seungwan’s brow and pushing her away. A loud noise of surprise filled Seungwan’s mouth as she was flopped over onto the other side of the couch. With a loud laugh, Sooyoung rolled off the couch, grabbed her lunch back and started towards the entryway. She stopped, pausing and looking over her shoulder at Seungwan, eyes growing soft.

“Seungwannie, I just want you to know I’m okay with Joohyun staying over whenever, no matter how much I tease you, okay?” The sincerity in Sooyoung’s voice made her smile and she nodded quickly. “Good,” Sooyoung said with a broad smile before heading for the door and leaving for work.

The apartment suddenly felt empty. Suddenly she was unused to it, having grown accustomed to her new life. For the longest time it had been just her and Sooyoung, sometimes Sungjae when he was about, but it had left her with a lot of time alone. Now her circle had expanded. Not only Joohyun, but everyone that came with her. She smiled to the empty room, happy with how full she felt not only in love but in friendship in general.

Her phone rang, the sound snapping her out of her reverie and she jumped where she sat. She quickly pulled her phone from her pocket and she grinned. Answering she said loudly, her voice filled with pleasure, “Jichu! I chose you!”

“Seungwannnnnnnnie,” came Jisoo’s husky voice through the phone. It had quickly become their little routine on their frequent phone calls. “Uh oh,” Jisoo said with a laugh, “Jennie is glowering at me.” Seungwan could only smile. It was amazing how quickly they had become friends, finding themselves falling into what they had in common. Jisoo had been an idol trainee at one point and loved singing. This, of course, wasn’t their biggest commonality. That was Joohyun and Jennie.

“She really is the jealous type, isn’t she?” Seungwan joked.

“Careful,” Jisoo said with another laugh. Seungwan could hear the smile on the girl’s lips. “Joohyun can be very, very jealous. Just don’t give her cause and everything will be fine.” Seungwan found herself furrowing her brows, trying to imagine a jealous Joohyun. She had seen the two sides of the woman, the consummate professional who could take charge of a corporation and the little girl who craved attention, tiny and playful. It had been hard to reconcile the two at first but she’d come to love that duality.

“I can’t ever imagine giving her reason,” Seungwan said and her voice turned dreamlike as she continued, “I look at her like she hung the moon.” Seungwan could swear she felt a smirk coming through the phone. “Anyway, I just wanted to check and make sure you guys would be there tonight?”

“Of course,” Jisoo said with a scoff. “If we’re lucky Jennie and Joohyun will finally have that fight they need and get past everything.” There was a squeak and the sound of the phone dropping. From the other end she heard the muffled sound of a struggle and Jisoo playfully yelling, “Help me! Help me!” Seungwan could only grin as she leaned back into the couch, listening.

A few minutes later, Jisoo’s panting voice came back over the phone, “Okay, I survived.”

“May 30th,” Seungwan suddenly blurted out.

“What?” 

“That’s when I think they are going to have their fight,” Seungwan said softly. “Think you can get out of hearing range of Jennie so we can talk?” Her voice had turned serious and a moment of silence hung between them. She held her breath, knowing what she needed to do. 

“Sure,” Jisoo said after a moment's hesitation. “Jennie, I’m going to go into the bedroom for a bit.” There was a muffled reply but Seungwan couldn’t make out what Jennie had said. “Okay, give me a few seconds.” She could hear Jisoo moving, the sound of shuffling feet and then the noise of a door closing. “Okay, I’m all alone.”

“Listen,” Seungwan said softly, “I wanted your help. We need to get Jennie and Joohyun together on May 6th, after 10pm. Just the two of them.” She knew it was bound to happen, the pair of them moving on, realizing they had a friendship that would last a lifetime. No matter that she believed she would have Joohyun, to be lovers, it was an inevitability. To try and stop it would be like trying to turn back the tides or to force the earth to spin the other direction. But if it was going to happen, she had decided, it would happen on her terms.

“Interesting,” Jisoo said in a confused tone. “But I’ll bite. Tell me why?”

Drawing in a deep breath, Seungwan began to story of her life and what she saw. She only hoped Jisoo wouldn’t think her crazy.

 

***

 

Seungwan felt tired. The final preparations for her comeback were done and she was left with the rest of the day for herself. It had taken her by surprise the lengths the company was going for this. Her V-Live was set to be grand with an elaborate stage, swathes of silken sheets in deep reds that reflected off a dark wood floor, a grand piano set in it’s center. She had felt the song peeling out from her when she sang it in practice, old pain touched by new love. 

Once it was done she’d taken a cab, trying to hurry across town to reach Seulgi’s dance studio before everyone was set to meet. She’d made her plans with Jisoo, both of them arranging for Jennie and Joohyun to be at the same place, alone. The chance of getting them together like that without subterfuge was almost zero and so they had plotted. Now she just needed to make Seulgi an accomplice for it all to fall into place.

When the cab pulled up before the tall building, she paid the driver and stepped out to feel the growing heat was over her. “It’s going to be a warm summer,” she thought to herself as she headed up the broad, concrete steps leading towards the officetel. Seulgi had sent her the directions, indicating that her small studio was located on the second floor. Apparently Seulgi had lived and worked here at first before moving in with Joohyun to save money.

It had been years since she’d stepped into a dance studio, her first days as a trainee. There had been the idea to put her into a group but in the end their CEO felt she was best suited as a soloist. Sure, some danced and sang, but her strength was her voice and they decided simply to focus on that. Sometimes she wondered what could have been, singing and dancing in the manner of soloists like Sunmi and Chungha. 

As she entered the main lobby, she passed a person that gave her pause. She furrowed her brows and glanced over her shoulder, a somewhat overweight woman with short hair and glasses hurrying by, a phone pressed to her cheek. “Where have I seen her before?” She pondered it a moment before shrugging her shoulders and heading for the elevator.

A nagging feeling of worry settled in her stomach, a sense of impending doom seeming to float in the air along with the strains of music pumping out of the elevator speakers. She couldn’t seem to place where it was coming from. The doors opened to a long hallway, wide and spacious. She stepped out and followed the numbers, counting suites till she came to a set of glass doors, frosted with the name “Sunny Bear Dance Studio.” She’d laughed when she first heard the name but it seemed fitting for Seulgi.

She stepped in and was immediately assaulted by the fragrance of vanilla and flowers that hid the subtle scent of sweat. “Welcome to Sunny Bear studios. How can I help you?” asked a woman from behind the counter that stretched out along the opposite wall. The woman was tall with sharp but pretty features. Eye makeup that ended in long points gave the woman a catlike appearance with dark, silken black hair pulled into a slick ponytail. Seungwan gave her a warm smile and crossed, leaning on the counter.

“I’m a friend of Seulgi’s. I’m just here to meet her before we go out for dinner,” Seungwan said. The woman narrowed her eyes and stared at her a long moment before realization of who she was dawned on her. 

“Omo,” the woman said as she clapped a hand to her chest, eyes growing wide, “You’re Wendy.”

“Guilty,” Seungwan said with a laugh as she held out a hand. “My real name is Seungwan, though.” The woman took her hand and seemed to blush, eyes falling downcast as they shook hands in greeting.

“I’m Seul-ki,” the woman said. “I’m one of the dance instructors here.”

There was a creak as a door opened, the sound of trap beats and low, thumping bass suddenly filling the air. Seungwan glanced over her shoulder to see Seulgi, flushed face and damp hair, standing there in breaths. She was standing in the doorway, the sight of a practice room with floating wood floors and walls of mirrors visible behind the woman. “Flirting with my staff?” Seulgi teased with a grin. “Don’t let Joohyun see that.”

Seungwan quickly pulled her hand back and then shook her head, “Just introducing myself.”

Seulgi pointed past Seungwan to Seul-ki and laughed, “Well, she’s as big a fan as I am. You should give her an autograph.” Before Seungwan could turn back to Seul-ki, the woman had already slapped a piece of paper and pen on the desk, a hopeful look on her face as their eyes met. Seungwan bit back a laugh. She took the pen and her lips curled into a pleased grin, the thrill of meeting a fan rushing through her, as she began to sign the paper.

Behind her she heard the sound of more voices, girls talking and chattering, laughing as they began to file out from the room beyond. “You girls have the choreo down pat,” Seungwan could hear Seulgi saying from behind her, “So you’ll do just fine on Music Bank. In fact, my friend over there is going to be on that same show.” There was a chorus of surprised voices and Seulgi called out to her, “Seungwan, meet the new group debuting this week. I’ve been helping them with their choreo.”

Seungwan set the pen down and turned.

“Seungwan?”

Her eyes grew wide and a chill poured down her spine as she saw Sejeong push out from behind her group, all dripping sweat and looking at her with a mix of smiles and wide eyes. She tried to summon words but could only gape as Sejeong rushed towards her, the girl dressed in leggings and t-shirt that clung to her damp body.

Sejeong leapt into her arms, “I can’t believe you’ll be there for my debut!” She instinctively wrapped her arms about the girl, years of practice. She could remember the feel of Sejeong against her, the way the girl’s ribs would feel on her arms, the way Sejeongs chin would settle on her shoulder as they hugged. It all came back to, like the was on automatic. “Say something”, she screamed at herself in her mind. She knew she had to stop whatever was happening. She began to put her hand on Sejeong’s hips, ready to push the girl back. 

The group of girls were all gigging and Seulgi was staring in stunned silence. It clicked. The woman she’d passed on the first floor was this group's manager. The sense of impending doom was her sixth sense. It knew what was waiting for her even if she hadn’t been able to put that piece together.

From the main door of the dance studio a single voice, loud and angry, rang out.

“What the hell is this?”

Wendy felt her stomach drop, that chill on her back turning now to stark ice. She slowly turned her head, eyes filled with dread as they settled on Joohyun standing there, hands on hips, eyes hard with fury and lips drawn tight. Only one thing came to her.

“Oh .”