Seven

Miss Independent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Are you even allowed to go to work?” Jiyoung asked, looking at her friend who was organizing the papers to put in her bag. She threw the green squishy ball across the room and the two dogs went running after it.

“Yes, I am. It was just an appendectomy.”

“Yeah, just an appendectomy,” Jiyoung sighed. “Just be thankful that Jongin came at the perfect timing. If he was not here that day, God only knows what would’ve happened. I told you to visit a doctor and get a real diagnosis. But no, you went on, self-diagnosing and popping pain relievers like multivitamins.”

She had heard that same line a hundred times for the whole week now – from the hospital to her apartment. Jiyoung’s starting to sound like her mother – at least like how she remembered how that felt.

“Are you even listening?” Jiyoung asked with an exasperated sigh. She threw the ball again, letting the furballs ran after it once again.

“Yes, mom,” Minjung replied, rolling her eyes but smiled nonetheless. She knows that Jiyoung’s just looking out for her just like how she looks after her friend. The nagging’s part of their relationship. “And I’m sorry for not taking care of myself. I promise I’ll do better.”

“You better. You’re a pain in the but I love you so don’t get sick without my permission.”

“Aye, aye captain,” Minjung made a saluting gesture as she watched her two dogs approach Jiyoung with the green ball. Jiyoung patted their heads like always and they started wagging their tails. They looked like they’re in trance, jumping up and down, eyes on the ball that Jiyoung hand in her hand.

“I better get going,” she commented while looking at her watch. Jiyoung looked up at her and nodded.

“Take care. I’ll take the boys to Sumin’s clinic then we’ll go for a walk. Oh, and tell Jongin ‘thank you’ for what he did. That guy needs recognition.”

“You don’t need to remind me. I was thinking of that.” Minjung grabbed her keys and then walked to the door. “Bye.”

 

 

She’s had enough rest and a lot of time to recover. Jiyoung and Sumin made sure of that. She barely managed to get every office work done because her friends wouldn’t let her stay up late. Junmyeon’s been overseeing the company for a week and he’s been updating her about what’s happening.

For a week, she’s only talked to Jongin on the phone to give him things to do. She has already thanked him for what he did but it’s still different to say it in person.

The sound of cheers coming from the office made her snap back to reality. As the glass door came open, her employees became aware of her presence and they started greeting her – welcoming her back to work.

“What’s the big fuss about?” she asked, scanning the whole floor. They were all standing, smiling from ear to ear. She was sure it’s something good.

“Our sales just tripled,” Junmyeon replied. Minjung couldn’t believe her ears. Her jaws dropped in surprise.

“And this is the reason,” Seulgi stated as she made her way to Minjung while holding up a tablet. She recognized the dresses worn by the people in the pictures. They’re from their S/S collection. Big name celebrities and idols have worn clothes from her line in different occasions and it had made headlines. “Congratulations, ma’am.”

She felt like she’s in cloud nine. “Wow. That’s…awesome.”

Junmyeon started clapping his hand and the rest joined. She couldn’t hide the smile on her face. “Congratulations,” they all cheered.

“Congratulations to all of us. You guys are the best,” Minjung stated, clapping for employees. “This would serve as a motivation for us to keep moving. Let’s do our best for the other half of the year. Let’s make our F/W collection make headlines as well.”

Cheers roared and she couldn’t help but chuckle. They’re a lively bunch and she’s just thankful that she has crossed paths with them. They’re a great team and they’re her family.

“Great way to welcome you back, isn’t it?” Junmyeon asked when the rest of the crowd dispersed in good mood. Her friend had a very bright smile on his face.

“It’s too good to be true,” Minjung replied, nodding her head. “I feel like I’m dreaming.”

“Well, you’re not. This is the reality and you deserve all of it. You’ve been such a good employer and partner. We’ve come a long way.” Junmyeon patted her shoulder.

“A very long way,” Minjung nodded. It took them more than 3 years to get the attention of the public. The first two years were so bloody. She thought of giving up. They took out loans to start the business. It all started from a small room with 10 employees. They personally designed and sewed the clothes.

Along the way, they met good people who gave them the opportunity to grow. HJ Textiles and Mighty Corporation became their business partners. They provided fabrics and machines respectively. During the first half of their 3rd year, they started a bigger production and they were starting to see the light. They were named one of the rising clothing lines. And now that they’re approaching their 4th year, she’s crossing her fingers that everything’s going to be better.

“Your dear secretary’s in the storage room,” Junmyeon stated when he noticed that she was looking around as if trying to find someone. Minjung’s brows furrowed.

“What’s he doing in there?”

Junmyeon shrugged. “Go find out on your own.” He started walking away, waving his hand with a smile. “I’ll be off then. My meeting’s in 30.”

“Take care.”

She watched as he took his leave. After a while, she was walking to the storage room. The door was open. There he found Jongin on a ladder with a flashlight in his mouth, changing the lights. He had his earphones on so she was sure that he had no idea about the fuss outside a while ago. She just stared at him.

His neck tie was hanging loose around his neck, a button or two opened and sleeves rolled up to his elbows. She was in the middle of examining every nook and cranny of his features when he turned to her. He quickly yanked his earphones in surprise and when he moved, the ladder wobbled.

“Oh my god,” Minjung exclaimed in surprise, eyes still on him as he held on the ceiling to keep his balance. She clutched her chest, trying to calm herself. “For Pete’s sake, be careful. I don’t want anyone dying in this office.”

“Sorry,” he quickly apologized, still holding unto the ceiling with the flashlight on his other hand.

“What are you doing here anyway? I don’t remember hiring you to be a handyman.”

Jongin slowly climbed down the ladder and switched the light on. “I just changed the bulb. They were acting up and it’s very dark in here without it.” He followed her line of sight, landing on a tool box with some screws and a screw driver beside it. “I fixed the racks as well. They were wobbling a lot and I thought someone might get hurt if they fall.” He his chapped lips as he waited for any reaction.

“You should’ve just called for a handyman to do all of these,” Minjung sighed as she met his gaze.

A shy smile came to his face as he removed his glasses. He wiped his forehead with his handkerchief. “I used to be a handyman so this is ac

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter