Eighteen

Miss Independent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

With some of the relatives sleeping over, the room that was currently free is Jongin’s room. The kids were sprawled in the living room when they got back from their walk. The ladies who were still not married were sleeping in the master room with Mrs. Kim. Mr. Kim was with his brothers in Jinri’s room.

Minjung, now in her pajamas, sat on Jongin’s soft bed. His room’s neat and decorated with posters of his favorite movies. Books, some of which were school textbooks, were stacked on the side of the room. Her eyes landed on a couple of trophies. She stood and walked towards the table where they were sitting.

Judo?

The sound of the door slowly creaking open made her look over her shoulder. Jongin entered with a set of pink blanket and pillow. He noticed that she was checking out what the trophies were from.

“Those are from college,” he informed with a hushed voice as he closed the door behind him. He set the blanket and pillow on the bed. “I never even dreamt of winning those.”

She looked back at the trophies, wondering if the bullying that he experienced back in high school made him take up judo in college. A yawn escaped , signaling her that she should probably sleep. She retreated to the bed.

“You can take the bed, I’ll sleep on the floor,” Jongin said, as he grabbed his own pillow and blanket. She watched him lay a futon on the floor.

“Your body will hurt like hell in the morning,” she uttered, watching him fix his pillow. He looked at her. “I don’t mind sharing the bed. It’s yours in the first place.”

He stared at her like she just said that her dogs gave birth despite the fact that they’re guys. Honestly, she does not mind at all. It’s not like she’s suggesting anything. She suddenly remembered the passionate kiss that they shared during their stroll. Their rugged breaths. Her fingers playing his hair. She internally screamed.

He’s not thinking that I’m suggesting anything, right?

She was in the brink of panicking when she noticed that he just smiled – not the teasing smile but just a Jongin smile. She does not even know how to explain what kind of smile that was.

“If you say so. I will not play hard to get.” He then tossed his pillow and blanket back to the bed and he started folding the futon. He neatly placed the futon on the side before sitting on his side of the bed. “So…” he dragged. “Are you ready to sleep or not?” he asked, tapping on spot beside him.

Minjung dragged her tired body to the bed, getting on it once she made it there. She fixed her pillow and her blanket. They both smelled like lavender.

“Should I turn the lights off?” he asked and she nodded. He turned the lamp on the bedside table first before standing to switch the lights off. Minjung slid under her blanket as her head made contact with the pillow. Jongin sat on his side of the bed before taking his glasses off.

With his unstyled hair and without his glasses, he still managed to look really breathtaking. He pulled his blanket while lying on the bed. “Good night.”

“Good night,” she mumbled.

Five minutes later, she was still staring at the ceiling. Ten minutes later, she was sleeping sideways – looking away. Her eyelids were light like feathers when they were so heavy like elephants a while back. Maybe offering Jongin to sleep on the same bed as her was a bad decision.

She tried shutting her eyes.

Rugged breaths.

Her fingers playing with his hair.

His lips on hers.

Ugh.

She opened her eyes and grimaced. Raging hormones, anyone? A soft sigh left her lips as she turned around. To her surprise, she found Jongin sleeping while facing her direction. Obviously, it looks like she’s the one who’s thinking of a lot of things.

She stared at him, observing the slow rise and fall of his chest. His face looked so free of worry.

“Can’t sleep?” he suddenly asked, making her almost jump off the bed. “I don’t mind being stared at if that will make you go to sleep.” His eyes slowly fluttered open, meeting her gaze.

“You were pretending to be asleep?” she asked, sounding a bit accusing.

“I was dead as a log when I hit the pillow. I just suddenly felt like someone’s staring at me and that woke me up.” He shut his eyes again. He looked like he really just woke up. “You can’t sleep with the lights off?”

“No. I was just thinking,” she replied.

He opened his eyes once again. “Let your mind rest. It’s been a long day.” He then moved, adjusting his sleeping position. “Come here.”

She hesitated but when Jongin extended his arm to reach for her, she obediently obliged. He pulled her close to his body – close enough for her to feel the warmth from him. He placed his arm over her and his other arm under her head. He was like a big blanket, enveloping her body and saving her from the harsh cold wind. She liked how comfortable he felt around her.

“Why?” he asked when he noticed that she was still staring at him.

“You’re pretty,” she replied, not really thinking before answering.

He just smiled. “You’re prettier.”

“Don’t you find wearing glasses a bit uncomfortable?”

“Not really. I think I just got used to it. Why? Do I look prettier without my glasses?”

“You look pretty either way,” she answered honestly before moving closer. He smelled like mint and lavender. He smelled nice.

“Sleep,” he said with a soft voice, patting her head softly. “We have a long day ahead.”

And just like that, with her forehead on his chest, sleep found her in no time.

 

 

Saying goodbye to Jongin’s relatives was harder than she imagined. They all welcomed her with arms opened wide and they made her feel appreciated. Hyena was the last one she said goodbye to. The kid literally jumped at her to give her a hug. Being a cute kid, Minjung had a hard time stopping herself from squishing her plump and pinkish cheeks. Hyena even gave her a pink bracelet which she and her mother made.

Mr. and Mrs. Kim gave her warm hugs which she was least expecting. They even wished her luck with her business, saying that they’ll be praying for her further success. What more could one ask for? They reminded her again that she’s always welcome in their house.

Jongin’s uncles literally claimed her as their niece-in-law, saying that they will be readying baby clothes for the next year. Minjung couldn’t help but turn red because of their comments. Jongin just shook his head, giving up to his uncles’ antics.

Mr. Kim’s birthday celebration turned into a welcoming party – her welcoming party. And she honestly felt overwhelmed yet so happy. Her Sunday was literally a blast.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter