Fourteen

Miss Independent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

What happened last night felt like a dream but the pain of rejection kept reminding him that it was not. It’s real. This morning, Minjung tried to play it cool as if what happened the night before never happened. He couldn’t bring it up because he knows what she’s going through at the moment.

He knows she’s pushing him away because of Han Taejin. And he’s constantly asking himself if Minjung still feels something for the person who broke her heart.

“Did something bad happen?” Junmyeon asked, making Jongin snap back to reality. Jongin greeted the partner right away.

“No, sir. I was just thinking about some family stuff,” he lied.

“How’s your father anyway?”

“He’s doing great.”

Junmyeon looked at Minjung’s office then back at Jongin. “Did anything happen last night?”

Jongin shook his head. “Nothing happened. Boss did not even make a mess in the living room.” He decided to keep the rejection thing to himself.

Worry was casted on Junmyeon’s face after a while. “I just hope this day ends quickly.”

It’s the meeting day with HY Fashion and Jongin’s sure that Junmyeon’s only concern for the day is how Minjung will hold up. Jongin couldn’t imagine how the meeting would go. How would Minjung react to seeing Han Taejin again? He’s sure that the wounds of the past have been opened. It’s going to be a long day.

The silence between Junmyeon and Jongin was broken when Minjung opened the door of her office. They two of them looked at her right away. She looked like she’s going to war.

Not a single hair was sticking out from her ponytail. Pieces of shining crystals were dangling on her ears. Her eyes were like those of a cat with her eyeliner and dark eyeshadow. The shade of her lipstick was darker than the usual shade that she uses in a daily basis. There was not a single wrinkle on her black and white power suit.

A small smile formed on her lips when she noticed that the two were standing there speechless. “Let’s go. I don’t want to be late for this meeting. I bet it will be interesting.”

Before the two could say a thing, she was already strutting to the door. The two followed her right away and Jongin noticed how the employees looked shocked to see Minjung with a very different style. It’s not a bad thing though. They actually liked how their boss looked like she’s going to crush anyone on her way. It’s a breath of fresh air. But somewhere in Jongin’s heart, he knows that Minjung’s covering her pain with that strong façade.

The ride to HY Fashion’s Headquarters was a quiet and Jongin couldn’t help but look at Minjung through the rearview mirror every now and then. Even Junmyeon couldn’t say a thing to make a small conversation. They just let Minjung collect her thoughts in silence. They both know she needs to calm herself after what happened in her office yesterday.

HY Fashion’s Headquarters was in a bigger building than Glam. Being one of the biggest local fashion brands, it’s no brainer that it has 3 floors of the building as its office. They’re in a different level – from bags, shoes, accessories to clothes. And Minjung knows that so as much as she hates Han Taejin, she couldn’t screw up the collaboration just because of her personal feelings. There are people who she’s responsible for. She has employees depending on her.

When the three of them made it to the meeting room, they were welcomed by the owner of HY Fashion, Mrs. Jeon, a very attractive woman in her late 50s. For someone who’s as successful as her, Jongin was not able to detect any arrogance in her. She actually reminded him of Minjung for some reasons.

Mrs. Jeon and Minjung started having a little talk. Junmyeon and Jongin sat not far from Minjung. From what Jongin had heard, it looked like Mrs. Jeon and Minjung knew each other in a personal level.

“Mrs. Jeon used to be Minjung’s teacher back in college,” Junmyeon informed with a soft voice when he noticed that Jongin was staring at the two ladies. “Minjung worked in this same company after graduation for 2 years.”

Jongin nodded, processing the information that Junmyeon shared. No wonder they looked close. The corner of his lips tugged upwards while looking at Minjung who was chuckling. She looked like she forgot that she’s going to see Han Taejin when the meeting starts. It’s a good thing.

The seats around the big table got filled up after some more minutes. Jongin saw Han Taejin approaching the podium. The former looked at Minjung’s direction and noticed how she was sporting a serious expression.

“Good morning, ladies and gentlemen,” he greeted with a small smile while looking at all of them. He did not give Minjung any special attention. Han Taejin just looked like he’s there to do his job and nothing more. “My name is Han Taejin and I am the overall supervisor of HY Fashion.”

He proceeded with the meeting smoothly, showing the data through a PowerPoint. He’s good with his words. He’s your model speaker – a confident and charismatic one.

“As we all know, HY Fashion has a diverse market target. We cater to all ages so this collaboration with Glam is a step we’re taking to spice things up. What we need now is to establish a relationship with our customers based on trust and-”

Taejin halted and his eyes narrowed at Minjung who scoffed lightly.

“Is there something wrong, dear?” Mrs. Jeon asked, turning to Minjung.

Minjung looked at Mrs. Jeon with a sweet smile. “Nothing’s wrong.” She then turned to Han Taejin who was still looking at her with a serious expression. “I like the word you used there, Mr. Overall Supervisor. Trust.” She let that word drag along her lips and tongue.

Jongin noticed how Junmyeon let a soft sigh leave his lips. Han Taejin stiffened as if Minjung pressed a button that made him uncomfortable.

“Such a big word, don’t you think? Trust and loyalty. Tell me, Mr. Overall Supervisor, do you know what those words mean?” Minjung’s gaze did not waver at all.

Jongin saw the way Taejin clenched his jaws before flashing her a charming smile. “Of course, ma’am.”

“Good to know,” Minjung chirped. She looked at Mrs. Jeon. “I was just asking. I do agree with him that we need to establish a relationship based on trust. HY Fashion is already a big name. Our company’s just starting to gain attention so there might be people who would be questioning the collaboration that we’re going to do. On our part, we need to show them what we’re capable of.”

Mrs. Jeon looked pleased by Minjung’s little explanation. The former turned to Han Taejin, signaling him to go on. Before proceeding to his presentation, Taejin looked at Minjung’s direction. The slight change in his expression did not escape Jongin’s radar. He looked frustrated, guilty and annoyed at the same time.

Jongin knew Minjung made the first shot. And he’s not sure if Taejin will retaliate.

 

 

“What was that about?” Junmyeon finally asked, looking at Minjung through the rearview mirror. Minjung had her eyes shut. They’re currently on their way back to their office after the meeting. “I know he’s a son of a but are you sure that you’re ready for whatever he’s going to do next?”

Minjung kept silent.

“Minjung,” Junmyeon sighed.

“Don’t ask me. I don’t even know why I said those words,” she finally replied with a resigned tone. She sounded like she’s done for the day.

Junmyeon pressed his lips tightly together and just darted his eyes on the road. Jongin kept quiet during the whole drive, questions invading his mind.   

After what felt like forever, they made it back to G

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter