Thirteen

Miss Independent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“All the designs are ready for production. We’ll start it today so that next week, we’ll have half of the collection to start with the photo shoot.” Nayeon looked down at her folder when she paused. “Just like last year, the Design Team will be divided to go over the production. Since the demand for our S/S collection is still high, we might not have every worker on board for our F/W collection.”

Minjung went through the data that was provided for her. Their sales for the first half of the year are really promising. It’s just mid-summer but they’re already preparing for the next half of the year. They have a lot to do so every minute counts. The designs have been decided. The production and photo shoots are next to be accomplished.

“Let’s do what we can do with the resources that we have. The same thing happened last year but we were able to survive it so let’s just keep our fingers crossed that we’ll be able to accomplish everything on time,” Minjung commented, looking at the rest of the employees inside their meeting room.

The employees nodded in approval.

“Then, I think we’re done here,” Junmyeon said, clapping his hands to signal the end of their meeting. He stood and smiled at everyone. “Let’s keep doing our best. Fighting!”

When the crowd dispersed, Jongin organized everything that was talked about during the meeting. He needed to make a report about it. He was busily going over what he had taken note of when he saw Minjung and Junmyeon talking at a corner.

After that night, they both acted like nothing happened. Minjung never brought it up and he, on the other hand, never had the guts to bring it up during their small talks. She looked like she has fully recovered from the stalker attack. It was a relief for Jongin.

He felt his phone vibrating and so he fished it out from his pocket.

From Jinri: I’m outside your office. Can you come out for a moment?

His brows furrowed, thinking why his sister’s suddenly paying him a visit. It’s not a bad thing though. He carefully grabbed the tablet and the folder which were lying on the table then he stood. Without making any unnecessary noise, he nodded his head towards Minjung and Junmyeon before taking his leave.

Jinri was leaning on the wall when he got out of the office. A big eco bag was sitting on the ground beside her.

“What are you doing here?” he asked.

“Well, hello too, dear brother. Glad you asked me how I’m doing. I’m doing fine actually,” she stated, sarcasm dripping from her words. She rolled her eyes but smiled in the end. “Mom sent some side dishes. I went to your place but the landlord told me that you left. Where are you living then?”

Ah, right. I never told her. Not that it’s something that he would like Jinri to know anyway. “I’m living somewhere else,” he answered. That was a very vague answer and Jinri narrowed her eyes, catching something weird with his answer.

“You’re not living in a sauna, right?”

“I’m not,” he sighed. He picked the eco bag up and realized how heavy it was. He frowned at the idea that their mother went through all the trouble of making them side dishes. “Are you giving everything to me?”

Jinri shook her head. “I’ll come to your place and we’ll divide them equally. I and my roommate could use some homemade food. I’m tired of eating the same thing.”

“W-What?”

Jinri narrowed her eyes once again. “Don’t tell me you’re really living in a sauna.”

“No, I’m not. It’s just that I’m living with a couple of guys so bringing you there is not really a good idea. You know, all men are animals.” That was a smooth lie. He waited for her reaction.

“Including yourself?”

“Me? I am-”

“Jinri?”

Jinri’s eyes widened when she heard Minjung’s voice. Jongin turned around.

“Unnie,” Jinri squealed as she ran towards Minjung, pushing Jongin out of the way in the process. Jongin stared at his sister who’s currently throwing hearts with her eyes.

“What are you doing here?” Minjung asked with a smile. She looked really fond of Jinri.

“I was just delivering some side dishes for my brother.” Jinri did not even bother to look back at Jongin.

“Really?” Minjung’s eyes drifted to his direction then back at Jinri. “Do you not have classes today?”

“My morning classes got cancelled.”

“That’s good then. Do you want to have some coffee with me? I’m going downstairs anyway.”

Jongin swore he saw Jinri’s eyes sparkling. The latter nodded immediately.

“That would be an honor.”

Minjung chuckled and it sounded like music in his ears. “I’ll be taking her then,” Minjung stated, looking at him. Jongin dumbly nodded his head before looking at Jinri. She looked like she had no intention of sparing a second for him. He sighed when they started walking away.

In such a short span of time, Jinri’s acting like she’s pretty close with Minjung. He’s worried that his sister’s being nosy to Minjung’s dislike. But then, looking at the two laughing like they’ve known each other for years makes him shoo away the negative thoughts. Minjung looked like she’s found a new younger sister.

Taking a deep breath, he looked at the bag that he’s holding. Thinking that he should sort out the side dishes that Jinri’s going to take with her, he dragged himself back to the office.

 

 

Jongin noticed it right away when he stepped inside the office. The usual hustle and bustle inside the room looked like it was doubled. He found himself standing in the middle, staring at the organized yet chaotic flow of people standing and running from table to table.

“Welcome to hell.”

He looked to his right and saw Wendy giving him a lopsided smile. She had a cup of cold coffee in her hands. Her eyes then drifted to the chaos right in front of their eyes.

“It’s just that time of the year when the time frame for making clothes for all seasons clashes,” she explained with a sigh. “But then again, it’s a nice thing to be this busy. It just shows that Glam’s skyrocketing.”

“I can tell that just by looking,” he stated, nodding. “It’s fascinating.”

“And with the collaboration that we’re doing with HY Fashion, I assure you this is just the beginning,” she added. “Well, enough with the small talk. We both need to get to our stations. Good morning. Fighting!”

A smile formed on his face as he held his right fist up, mirroring Wendy’s ‘fighting’ posture. “Good morning too. Fighting!”

Walking to his desk, his eyes roamed around. The Design Team looked really busy. They all had their tailor's dummies wrapped in fabrics. The Marketing Team were having a meeting and he was sure it had something to do with the designs to be used for the company’s internet page. For a clothing line that’s operating and selling through the internet, Glam is really making it big.

He put his bag on his desk and looked at Minjung’s office. The blinders were left hanging low so he couldn’t see if she’s there or not. He then picked the tablet where the schedule of the week was organized before walking to Minjung’s office. He knocked on the door before slowly pushing it open.

“Ma’am?”

“Yes?” Minjung asked, taking her eyes off from the dummy in front of her. She was holding a mat of pins on one hand and a piece of paper on the other.

Jongin stared at her for some seconds, taking in the carefree image of his boss. He’s seen her without makeup and walking around the apartment barefoot for a week now but seeing her in her office barefoot while wearing her usual office attire is a new scene.

“I’m here to show you your schedule for the week,” Jongin finally informed as he tapped on the tablet.

“Can you read it to me?” she asked before continuing what she’s doing. She grabbed a pair of scissors and started cutting out a long piece

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter