Twelve

Miss Independent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jongin tossed and the bed that he’s lying on. He couldn’t believe that he’s in Minjung’s house. Last night, she made an offer that was so hard to resist. He wanted to decline but she reasoned out that she was doing it because she owes her life to him. She made it sound so convincing and so he found himself in her apartment unit minutes later.

She also said that he’s free to stay there until his injuries heal. She even made sure that he got back half of the rent that he paid.

Now, he’s not sure if he made the right decision. He’s been thinking about it and he always came up with the same conclusion – it’s going to be awkward between the two of them.

A sigh left his lips as he stared at the ceiling. He’s been awake for an hour now but he couldn’t find the courage to step outside the room. If he sees her outside, would he greet his boss ‘good morning’? What would he say after that? Ask if she slept well? Yeah, that would make the whole situation less awkward.

Ugh.

He reached for his phone and stared at the screen. It’s almost 7. Making up his mind, he rolled off the bed and headed for the door. Minjung’s still not up. He carefully closed the door behind him and headed to the living room. He might as well do some cleaning.

Minjung’s house is not really the definition of organized. Papers and pieces of fabrics were scattered all over the carpet and the table. Some clothes were left lying on the sofa. He started picking up the papers when one of the retrievers approached him. Basing from the color of his dog tag, it was Happy.

Happy playfully tried to nudge him, making a place for his head in his arms. Jongin smiled. “Hey,” he whispered, trying to stay quiet as possible. “I’m trying to clean here. Go and play with your brother.”

As if Hunter heard that, he lifted his head and stared at them before going back to his beauty sleep. Jongin looked down at Happy who was starting to get cheeky with him. He gave in and ruffled the furball’s head.

The sound of a door creaking open made Jongin look back. Minjung got out from her room and he found himself staring for a second or two. She had a robe barely hanging over her shoulder, revealing a slight sight of heaven. Jongin looked away. He could feel his cheeks burning up. Why is his eyesight so sharp that specific morning?

He started acting like he was busily doing his own business. Happy barked and he jumped in surprise. He heard her gasp and he was sure she became aware of his presence there. He figured out that she forgot that he’s staying with her which explains the lack of clothing.

“You’re up?” she asked after some more seconds. Jongin took that a signal to turn around. Now, she had her robe tied properly. He noticed the tinge of pink on her face and he wondered if his own face was not a dead giveaway.

“Yes, ma’am. Good morning.”

“Good morning too.” Minjung then proceeded to pour herself a glass of water. Jongin continued picking up the papers when Happy jumped at him, making him let go of the pieces of paper he had in his hands.

“Happy,” Minjung called out but the retriever looked like he was enjoying Jongin’s company. “Happy,” she called out again. Happy fell on fours and looked at Minjung. She clapped her hands, signaling him to go to her. Like a good boy, Happy ran towards her and showered her with morning kisses. She chuckled.

Jongin watched. She looked pretty even without makeup and all those pretty clothes. She looked ethereal even with her visible morning hair. That must be something about having a crush, having someone you like. He or she looks good in your eyes no matter what.

In the middle of staring, Jongin looked down at his feet when he felt the hem of his pants was being pulled. Hunter was playing tug of war with his pants. Jongin crouched and Hunter let go. The latter stared at him. Jongin picked a toy under the table and showed it to Hunter. The retriever reacted right away. He started wagging his tail.

A smile formed on Jongin’s lips. “Wanna play?” he asked, waving the toy. Then, he threw the toy not far from them. Hunter went running after it. Happy then went dashing, taking Jongin by surprise that he fell on his .

The sound of Minjung’s soft chuckle did not escape Jongin’s attention. He did not dare look back at her. He knew that if he did, he might end up embarrassing himself even more. He just decided to watch the two furballs fight over the toy.

 

 

“You what?”

“I know you heard me loud and clear.”

Sumin was genuinely surprised when Minjung told her that she offered Jongin to stay at her apartment for the time being. If the wide eyes and the hanging open mouth were indicators, then she was really surprised. Sumin blinked a couple of times as if processing what she just heard.

Minjung started playing with her drink, shaking the ice cubes with her straw. It took her a lot of courage to tell Sumin about it. Jiyoung’s still on her way but she spilled it earlier than planned. It just happened that way.

The surprised expression on Sumin’s face subsided. Then, the corner of her lips started to curve up into what looked like a teasing smile. Minjung hated herself for telling her.

“I was not expecting this at all,” Sumin commented, the smile on her face getting bigger. Minjung wanted to walk out. Sumin leaned forward, resting her elbows on the table. “So you went to the hospital after all that talk of you being busy, huh. I knew you’re such a softie.”

Minjung rolled her eyes and pushed Sumin back to her seat. The latter leaned back, still with a grin on her face.

“I shouldn’t have told you,” she said under her breath.

“Oh and leave it as a surprise? Would you rather let us find out that you’re living with him when we give you a surprise visit?”

The thought of it made Minjung silent. No, she’d rather not.

Sumin raised a brow. “So…” she dragged, obviously giddy about the topic. “Tell me, how did he react?”

Minjung pressed her lips tightly before sighing. “He looked surprised when I gave him the offer. Who wouldn’t be?”

“Uh huh,” Sumin nodded, prodding her to continue.

“He actually hesitated. Well, if it was me, I would do the same thing. He turned my offer down.”

“But you insisted.”

Minjung rolled her eyes once again. “Not that kind of-”

“And?” 

Minjung held in a frustrated huff. “I explained to him that I was just doing it because he would recover faster in a cleaner and better environment. You should’ve seen the room that he was staying in. It was like my room back then. I don’t know but I was able to convince him and before I knew it, he was already at my place.”

“Uh huh,” Sumin muttered, nodding. “From my point of view, I think he likes you.”

“Sumin.”

“What? I’m just saying. If I’m a man and I have the hots for a girl, and that girl suddenly offers her place for me to stay, I would accept it.”

“Or maybe he’s just concerned about recovering f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter