One

Miss Independent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Click.

Click.

Click.

Satisfied by how the photo shoot is going, Minjung couldn’t help but smile. She looked at the computer screen which was displaying several cuts which were just taken a minute ago. The blaring sound of the music together with the sound of the camera actually sounded good to her.

Being the owner of one of the rising clothing lines, Minjung’s been busy overseeing everything – from the designing, to production, marketing and even delivering. She’s been named as one of the influential people in the fashion industry and she’s up for the challenge of maintaining that title.

Her phone suddenly rang and she quickly answered it. “Hello.”

“Ma’am, the secretary of Ms. Gong of ST Group called a while ago. She was asking if the meeting this afternoon will push through.”

Minjung shut her eyes, realizing that she completely forgot about her schedule. She massaged her temples and sighed. “Call her back and tell her that I’ll meet her as scheduled. And please move my morning schedules for tomorrow to some other time if they’re not that urgent. I need to go to the factory tomorrow morning.”

With her last instructions, she hung up and looked at the model who was wearing the clothes that she designed.

“Why are you here?”

Minjung turned around, meeting her good looking friend slash partner. Junmyeon flashed her a smile and she did the same. “What else? I’m here to supervise,” she replied. Junmyeon approached her and he looked at the computer screen. He nodded in approval.

“The photos look so good.”

“So what’s the news?” she asked.

“Well, they’re willing to invest but there’s one condition. They want to be the overall supervisor of the business.”

“What?” Her voice sounded louder than before.

Junmyeon slowly turned to face her. “I knew you’d react like that so I said no to their condition. I know how much this business means to you. And I know that you want to supervise it.”

“Good thinking,” Minjung nodded. “What kind of condition is that anyway? They don’t even know how to handle clothes.”

With the rising demand for Glam’s products, there’s a need for bigger production which means a need of a lot of money for it. It was Junmyeon’s idea to look for investors. Unlike her who only knows designing clothes and making them, Junmyeon’s the man for the money matters.

“We’ll be able to find an investor who understands this line of business soon enough. Don’t worry,” Junmyeon said as he patted Minjung’s back. The latter nodded.

“By the way,” she started. “You need to join me for the meeting with Ms. Gong this afternoon. I need you to charm her. I think she wants to invest.”

“Okay. No problem, boss.”

Minjung frowned at the word ‘boss’. She told him a couple of times to not call her like that since they’re partners but he keeps on using that word. She’s not sure if he’s just teasing her or what.

“Have you gone over the resumes that I sent you?” he asked and Minjung shook her head right away. “You know, you’ll thank me later if you take my suggestion to heart. You need to hire a secretary who can work by your side. You’ll die if you insist on scheduling everything on your own.”

“I can do it. Besides, I can just call Seulgi when I need to re-schedule things.”

Junmyeon sighed. “Seulgi’s the head of marketing department. She has so much on her plate. She’ll have no time to breathe if she needs to take care of-”

“Okay. I got it. I’ll hire a secretary.” She sounded like she really gave up. Junmyeon can be pushy if he wants to.

Minjung looked at her ringing phone. Sumin – the caller ID read. She answered it right away.

“Hel-” She paused and her brows shot up. “What?!”

 

 

Sighing for the nth time, Minjung looked at the girl in front of her. The latter was slowly transforming into a panda with her mascara and eyeliner messed up because of crying. Minjung passed her a pack of tissue which she quickly grabbed.

“Jiyoung, stop crying. You’ll start having breathing problems if you keep on crying,” Sumin, the girl sitting beside the crying girl, said. Sumin started slowly patting Jiyoung’s back but the latter looked like she has no plan of stopping.

“H-He said that he has changed. I-I can’t believe he cheated on me again,” Jiyoung managed to say in between ugly sobs. She blew her nose noisily before making ugly crying sounds again. Minjung crossed her arms in front of her chest and leaned back on her seat.

“He really changed. He just did not clearly say that it was for the worse. Not all changes are for the better,” Minjung finally commented. Sumin gave her a warning from saying anything with her signature deathly glare but Minjung could feel her nerves getting riled up. “Park Jiyoung, crying won’t change anything right now.”

“Minjung, stop it,” Sumin sighed, knowing what her friend’s going to say next.

“That son of a cheated on you twice even before you two got married. We- I told you to not get back together with him but you said that he changed. You insisted. Once a person cheats, there’s a probability that he or she will do it again. I warned you. You married him-”

“Lee Minjung,” Sumin called out, trying to stop her.

“-despite all the things that I’ve been telling you. You should’ve known better.” Those words came out without filter.

Minjung noticed how Jiyoung clenched the tissue that she was holding. She was sure that her words hit Jiyoung hard but then again, sometimes you just need to give it straight than use flowery and indirect words. It’s called tough love.

“You’re right, I should have known better,” Jiyoung said with a soft voice. “I’m sorry that I’m not as bright as you. I’m sorry that I’m-”

Sumin sighed out loud. “Jiyoung, that’s not what she meant by-”

“-not as bright and logical as you.”

Minjung stopped herself from rolling her eyes. She made a conclusion that talking to Jiyoung at the moment’s not going to be productive at all. Nonetheless, she kept a calm expression while staring back at her friend.

“I forgot that I’m talking to you – Lee Minjung – the ever logical woman who does not make a stupid mistake. Lee Minjung, the woman who has her head over her heart all the time.”

Minjung did not flinch at all. “Your head is placed over your heart for a purpose,” she calmly stated. “I’ve made

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter