Ten

Miss Independent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The silence was suffocating and it’s all the air out of Minjung’s body. Jongin hasn’t said a word after the small exchange of ‘are you okay’ and ‘how is he’ questions. His gaze was cemented on the road and Minjung could see that his mind’s somewhere else.

Back at the hospital, he insisted to stay but his mother was adamant. She wanted him to go back and take a rest. He couldn’t do anything because his uncle said the same thing. And so they made an arrangement. Jongin would visit in the morning before going back to Seoul.

Minjung made a sharp stir to the right and stepped on the breaks, stopping the car on a wide space near the main road. Jongin looked at her in surprise. Without saying a word, she got out and walked towards the railing.

Confused, Jongin followed her and he watched her climb up the railing, sitting with her legs dangling on the other side. Her eyes were on the sea right in front of her. He’s the one scared that she might fall. She looked over her shoulder, meeting his gaze.

“Let’s take a breather. I might fall asleep driving.”

“Do you want me to drive?” Jongin asked, making his way to her side. He stood, not daring to climb up the railing. He might lose his balance and meet his creator at an untimely event. Instead, he leaned forward, resting his arms on the railing.

“No. I want you to breathe.” A small smile spread on her face and he knew what she was talking about.

A few seconds of silence followed.

“Thank you for being there,” Jongin started. “My mom seemed to have calmed down a lot. Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.” A long pause. “Your father searched for your mom right away the moment he regained consciousness when I got there. He was worried that she’ll be crying again. They looked so…good together.”

She was not sure if Jongin sensed the envy in her voice. She bit down all the unexplainable emotions rushing in. All the memories are trying to cloud her mind at the moment.

“They’ve been married for 31 years now. From what I’ve heard, they dated for like 5 years before getting married. I think my mom was the one who pushed my father to propose to her. My dad was scared to make a lifelong commitment but I guess he was more scared to lose my mom so he tied the knot.”

Minjung stared as Jongin’s face lit up with an amused smile.

“That’s nice.” She didn’t know why but those words sounded so empty to her. Her heart’s being squeezed little by little.

“You know that feeling when you look at your dad and feel like you’re safe?” That was a rhetorical question. “I still feel that way until now. I know I’m already 30 but my dad’s like my anchor. Seeing him sick makes me so worried.”

Minjung pursed her lips into a thin line, contemplating if she should pat his back and say consoling words.

“Unfortunately, I don’t.” Those words slipped out of unconsciously. She wanted to hide because she couldn’t meet Jongin’s curious eyes. That’s what she wanted to do but it felt like all the emotions she’s been hiding inside were starting to overflow. She swallowed the lump inside .

“I grew up in an orphanage.” She tried to sound distant and unaffected. From the corner of her eyes, she saw Jongin shift on his position. She was sure he’s looking at her with pity. “When I was 10, I got adopted. That was the first time I felt like I had a normal family. You know, with a mom and a dad.”

Jongin remained silent as he listened intently. Minjung couldn’t find the will to stop the words coming out from .

“They couldn’t have a child of their own so they adopted me. Two years later, they got divorced. My adoptive dad said that he can’t go on, playing like a happy family when he does not feel the connection anymore. I was adopted, I guess, to make their marriage stick but it did not happen. My adoptive mother took care of me until she got sick and eventually passed away.”

Minjung clasped her hands tightly. She’s never spilled her honest feelings before especially to someone she’s barely known for a month now.

“I was just 15 at that time so I went back to the orphanage. No family took me in after that. Who would want to adopt a teenager? Then I met Madame Park, years after. She took me in and treated me like her own child. When I entered the picture, her marriage was crashing. I just knew it. Her husband used to beat her up. One day, I went to the house and saw her beaten almost to death. I took the matter to my own hands and reported that bastard.”

“I’m sorry to hear that,” Jongin managed to say.

“Yeah, me too.” Minjung straightened her limbs. “He was put behind bars and he died there. I wouldn’t say that I’m sad about that.” She tried to put a humorous smile on her face. “I guess I have a very bad relationship with marriage. I saw 2 marriages get broken before my two eyes. Oh, it’s 3 – adding Jiyoung’s failed marriage with that son of a .”

“It was just a bad timing for them. I guess they met the wrong people and ended up on the wrong side of the spectrum.” Jongin was trying to reason out. He could see why Minjung’s being sensitive about the topic of marriage. He just remembered how Junmyeon warned him about not talking about it. “I believe that when you find that one person, you’d hold on unto that marriage like nothing else mattered in the world.”

Minjung turned to him and he held her gaze. Under the moonlight, she still looked stunning. Jongin was trying to convince her that his words are not just empty shells. He wanted Minjung to believe in him.

The corner of her lips tugged upwards. “I envy your unwavering belief.” She looked away. “I gave up on that a long time ago. Marriage, commitments and promises are not for me.”

Jongin felt his heart being stabbed multiple times. It felt like she’s putting up her wall and he couldn’t find a way around it.

Minjung climbed down from the railing and stretched like nothing happened – like they did not have that conversation at all. He figured out it’s just her way of retreating back to her safe zone. She’s talked about a very personal stuff about her life. He thought he should be thankful that she has let him in even if it’s for a short time.

“So,” she started and Jongin looked at her. “I did not know you fight. Like, the fist to fist kind of fight.”

“Ah,” he looked down at the blood stains on his shirt. “I just crossed paths with Jinwoo’s minion and we had a small talk.”

“With your fists involved?” she asked, raised brows. An amused smile was playing on her lips.

“He started it. Besides, I was just looking out for some people.” He shrugged.

“Good to see that your glasses are in one piece.” She chuckled, walking towards the car. “So how was the opponent?”

A triumphant smile came to his face. He knew it was wrong to smile at that situation but he couldn’t help it. It’s beating a bully’s in the first place.

“He got what he deserved.”

And just like that, the mood changed.

 

 

“Earth to Minjung.”

“Huh?”

“You weren’t listening, were you?” Sumin asked, frowning.

“Sorry. I had something in my mind,” she replied, not trying to lie her way out. “What were you talking about?”

“I was talking about Hyebin’s wedding tomorrow. Jiyoung and I will come to your apartment. We’ll go together.” Sumin was trying to look for any resistance in Minjung’s reaction but found none. She knew how Minjung feels about going to wedding halls and doing anything that’s related to a wedding. <

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter