Nineteen

Miss Independent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Fashion Week brought a massive crowd with it. People from all over the world came to the venue and made the streets like a big photo shoot venue. They were dressed in fancy, colorful, unusual and artistic clothes. Jongin had a hard time taking in every detail from all the flashy presentation.

Celebrities drew the most attention. He’s not actually sure if the photographers were there to take pictures of the clothes or of the celebrities who took their time walking down the red carpet. It was a new world that Jongin only heard from his sister.

Sitting beside Minjung, he made sure to observe. She looked so absorbed into it when the models started walking down the catwalk. She would take pictures, just like anyone else, of the clothes when she finds a piece that gets her attention. Remembering what Jinri told him to do, he snapped some pictures too.

“You’d look good in that,” Minjung whispered, leaning towards his ear as she nodded towards the model who was wearing a very dashing fall outfit.

“I don’t think I can pull that off. I’m not tall enough,” he commented back. She rolled her eyes playfully.

“Yeah, sure because I’m a giant.” She grinned.

“But I’m sure I can look good in that.” He nodded towards the other male model who was wearing a very unconventional outfit which Jongin found really bizarre but artistic nonetheless. He noticed that Minjung was stopping herself from laughing. He knew she just imagine him in that outfit.

Applause followed the ending of the runway show. The crowd started to disperse. Minjung led him backstage, pulling him by the hand. “Mia!” Minjung squealed when she saw a lady wearing a white blouse with plain black pants. Her hair was cut into a bob cut which framed her small face. She looked a bit older than Minjung.

“Minjung!” Mia squealed back as she opened her arms to give Minjung a hug. Jongin watched as they exchanged their greetings which he could barely hear because of the noise. There were a lot of people in the backstage, talking, giving interviews, taking pictures and just standing there – just like him. Models who looked like they belonged in the movie Avatar were making their way to the tents to get changed. For once, he felt like he’s a midget.

“Jongin.”

He turned to Minjung’s direction and she was gesturing him to join them for a picture. He quickly made his way towards them and stood next to Minjung. The flash from the camera took him by surprise and he wondered if his eyes were opened in that.

“It was so nice seeing you after a long time. I enjoyed the collection,” Minjung commented, holding Mia’s hands. The latter nodded with a smile.

“Thank you. I can’t wait to work with you. And I’m waiting for your own runway show. I promise I’ll be there.”

After exchanging a bit more greeting, Minjung and Jongin found their way out from the backstage. People were still hanging out around the venue. He looked at her and noticed the smile pasted on her face. She looked really happy for some reasons.

“Mia used to work with us at HY Fashion. That was when I was just a fresh graduate. She moved back to New York after 2 years then she opened her own clothing line.” She took a deep breath. “She made it big and I can’t be more proud than I am now.”

“You’re on your way there too,” Jongin stated. “Glam will make it big; more than what you could imagine.”

“I’ll take your word for that,” she said, nodding. “So, were should we go? I’m starving.”

“Are you asking me on a date?” he asked teasingly. She rolled her eyes at him, playful hitting his arm.

“Whatever.” She shook her head. They headed to where the car was parked. Minjung took out the key which Jongin snatched in lightning speed.

“It’s a date then.” He grinned wickedly. She’s sure he knows how cute he looks when he acts like that. And he’s taking that as his advantage. He opened the door for her and gestured for her to enter. “Milady.”

Minjung laughed as she entered the car. She watched as Jongin ran to the other side. He got in swiftly and started the car. “Are you ready to get your mind blown away?”

“What?” she asked in disbelief. She couldn’t contain the laughter inside. “You are one hell of a smooth talker, mister.”

Jongin just shrugged. “One of my charms, miss.”

 

 

Minjung could feel Sumin and Jiyoung’s eyes on her. They were staring at her intently. It’s the day that Minjung picked to tell her friends that she’s dating her secretary.

“What’s the announcement?” Sumin asked.

“Umm, well,” Minjung started. This day was more nerve wrecking than the day she announced that she and Taejin were getting married. “I’m dating-”

“Really? Oh my god!!”

“Finally!!!”

She looked at her friends in confusion. “I did not even finish what I was going to say.”

“There’s only one guy we could think of, Lee Minjung,” Jiyoung commented, grinning.

Figures. Well, that went good. I guess. Minjung stared at her friends who were still grinning. The two stood and enveloped her into a tight hug.

“You got yourself a good man, my friend. Jongin’s a very nice guy,” Sumin commented. “So how long have you to been dating?”

“A month now.”

“Aww, that’s such a lovely stage. You’re all lovey-dovey.” Sumin clapped her hands. “Spill the details. How is he? How many dates have you been to?”

“Sumin, you sound like a creepy old lady,” Jiyoung said, chuckling. Sumin rolled her eyes at her friend, not really minding looking like a creepy old lady at the moment. Jiyoung understands that. It’s been such a long time since Minjung let her heart open for anyone. Just like Sumin, she’s happy for her.

“I haven’t actually kept track of how many dates we have been to.” Minjung shrugged. “But we both enjoy staying indoors. He likes cooking and I love eating so it was a win-win.”

Sumin squealed. “I wish I could also find someone who loves animals like I do,” she suddenly commented before a teasing smile came to her face. “So you enjoy staying indoors?”

Minjung rolled her eyes at her friend’s suggestive words. “Sumin, get your head out of the sewer.”

Jiyoung and Minjung laughed but Sumin just shrugged nonchalantly.

“Tell us the highlights of what you did so far,” Jiyoung suggested, equally looking interested.

“I met his family. We-”

“You met his family?” Sumin and Jiyoung asked in unison.

“Yeah. That was like when we were dating for a week.”

“Oh, now I’m envious,” Sumin said, pouting. “What happened? What’s his family like?”

Minjung started telling them what happened that day but made sure to not say anything about what happened during their evening walk at the seaside and the fact that she slept with him on the same bed, cuddling. She could leave that much to her friend’s imagination.

An hour passed and the three of them talked about various things. The highlight was Minjung’s dating life. Sumin shared the story of her latest blind date which actually ended in a tragic way when she accidentally spilled her coffee on her date. The guy stomped off fuming, saying that she just ruined his branded suit. She actually thought that it was a relief that the date did not go well. She couldn’t imagine herself being with someone who would go off at her like that for an accident.

Jiyoung’s been busy tending to her flower shop and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter