Chapter 1

Daddies

"Aarrgghhh, I'm hurt somebody help me!" Yukhei screams in fake desperation. He has lied himself down on the couch in a weird position to add some drama. . "Wieeuuuuwieeeuuuuwieuuuuu" comes from the other room. Mei storms into the living room, all dressed up in her doctor outfit. She smacks her medical kit onto his stomach. "What is wrong, patient" she screams. Yukhei thinks he should advise Mei from ever wanting to become a doctor. 

"Well, now my ear hurts" he says. "Then, let me take a look at it" Mei says. She grabs one of her tools and starts poking it into her fathers ear. "Oh, I see there is something broken here inside". "What?" he shouts "Oh no doctor what should I do". "Well, first we need to put this band-aid on" she says and sticks a pink Hello Kitty band-aid all over his ear. "Second of all, you should give the doctor some candies". She smiles mischievously. "I don't think the dentist would approve of that doctor" Yukhei says. 

He takes a glance at the clock and curses "". "What? Daddy" Mei asks. "Chips I said chips you can get some when you get home from school okay?" Yukhei says. "Yeayyyyy" Mei yells while almost slapping me in the face.

"Come on princess we need to hurry, school almost starts". Yukhei takes Mei to her room and gives her some clothes: a red T-shirt and black dungarees . While Mei changes he makes the two of them lunch and places it in their bags. A black backpack for him, and a small Dora backpack for Mei. He soon feels a little figure hugging his leg. Yukhei Mei's hair and puts her up on the kitchen counter, so he can put her hair up in a cute little ponytail. "My pretty princess" the tall man says as he taps Mei's nose. She giggles softly before asking to be put down. 

They put on their shoes and coats and Yukhei makes sure Mei's zipper is closed fully before putting her scarf, cap and mittens on. All purple and Dora themed of course. "So let's go" her dad says. "Daddy you forgot my backpack" she says. He runs back to the kitchen to grab their bags to come back and see Mei laughing. "You're not laughing at me are you?" a smile prominent on his face. "Yes because you're a bit silly daddy" she says while running out of the front door. "Oh I'll get you" Yukhei screams before closing the door and running after her.

When they get to Mei's preschool they walk to Mei's class. Her teacher Taeyong greets them: "Hello Yukhei, hello Mei". "Hello mister Taeyong" Mei screams, then fist bumps Taeyong and shouts a "Goodbye daddy" while running into the classroom. "Where is my goodbye kiss?" her dad shouts, only for it to fall on deaf ears. "I mean at least you got a goodbye right?" Taeyong says. "Yeah, sorry for being late again I totally forgot the time" Yukhei tells Taeyong who just responds with an "I wouldn't have expected otherwise Yukhei". He smiles telling me he'll see me later and then runs away to try and stop a boy from eating crayons. 

Yukhei walks out of the school towards work. It's not like he doesn't have a car or a driver's license, he just doesn't want to be that parent who drives their kid to school even though the school is only five minutes away from their home. Being a single dad of a four-year-old at twenty already gets you enough stares, there's no need for any other subjects to be judged on.

Yukhei's legs feel sore and he's totally out of breath by the time he reaches the cafe. It's a small but cozy cafe located near the campus and the shopping centre. Making it one of the most popular cafes for students and teens in the neighbourhood. He opens the doors of the cafe while he apologizes to Johnny for being late to work once again. "It's okay dude if I would have to take care of an over-enthusiastic, loud four-year-old, I don't think I would even show up" he says. "When is Mei coming to visit us again?" Yukhei's colleague Yuta asks "she is so adorable". "I don't know" he says while smiling at Yuta's comment. While Johnny and Yuta start bickering about who is most liked by Mei, he puts his apron on and gets ready for a day of work.

Yukhei sighs, happy that his day of work is over. It's not like his work is bad. Although dealing with grumpy students and flirty college girls who can't seem to get the hint aren't the best thing in the world. But it's bad when his colleagues start talking about their boyfriends once again. ("Winwinie is so cute yesterday he...") Which always ends in them telling Yukhei to go on dates and trying to set him up for blind dates with people they know. 

He guesses it's just hard for them to understand that nobody wants to date a twenty-year-old dude with a kid. He knows he isn't bad looking, neither an and everything always seems fine until the date in question gets to know he has a daughter. Then their eyes usually get so big Yukhei wonders if they're going to pop and his date will get away first chance they'll get. Not necessarily from him but mostly from the responsibility that comes with raising a kid.

Yukhei arrives at Mei's school later that afternoon, almost late because he and Johnny got too engrossed in talking about storyline wishes for the next season of Arthdal Chronicles and the eternal debate of Eunseom vs Saya,. Yukhei walks inside. A boy runs into him and he catches him before he falls. "Hey bud, try to watch where you're walking okay? You might get hurt". The kid nods. 

"Ash be careful or you'll fall once again". A young brunette says while patting the boy's head. "I'm sorry, I'm usually not this late, so I told him to hurry but I forgot he's really clumsy, guess that runs in the family" the brunette now says to Yukhei. Who laughs while the other continues "Thank you so much for catching him I really couldn't bear to have another hole in his jeans again". "It's nothing really" Yukhei says. "We really should get going, oh god mum's gonna murder me" the brunette says the last part more to himself that to Yukhei and the two of them walk away mumbling a "Bye".

Yukhei continues his way to the classroom to only see Taeyong and Mei left. "Daddy" Mei screams while running into his arms. "Hello princess, did you have a good day?". "Yes because mister Taeyong is awesome" she says gesturing to the said man. "I'm pretty sure he is" Yukhei agrees. "I'm sorry I'm late again, I was going to be on time, but this kid Ash ran into me, and then his brother started apologizing for what felt like an hour" he explains. "Ash always falls, he even dropped his birthday cake" Mei says and she giggles. "That's not his brother, that's his dad" Taeyong adds. "What but he looked so young" Yukhei says. Taeyong laughs "You're not the only young dad out there Yukhei". "Why have I never seen him before?' he asks. "Simply because Mark is always early and you are always late" Taeyong says. "Oh..." Yukhei says. 

"Daddy, let's go home. I want my chips" Mei whines. "I hoped you had forgotten about that" her dad tells her. "I can't forget food dad" she says with the most serious expression on her little face. "Well, then we should get going" Yukhei says. They say their goodbyes to Taeyong and go home.