Thunderstorm

Jinjoo One-shots

Minjoo is deathly afraid of thunder. Every cracking boom feels like it's trying to tear her apart. 

She has always spent every thunderstorm alone, with no one to protect her from the threatening rumbles and flashes of lightning. 

After multiple (futile) attempts to block out the terrifying sounds, Minjoo turns over and faces the other occupant of the queen sized bed. She contemplates as to whether she should wake the sleeping angel up for help, and hesitates because she is so at peace now, after all she loves the rain. 

Another clap of thunder sounds and Minjoo's hand that was hovering over the other's shoulder falls immediately, startling the sleeping girl awake. 

"Minjoo?" A husky voice calls sleepily. The lack of response makes her turn towards Minjoo who is cowering in fear, burying her face in her arm. 

"Y-Yujin..." Minjoo barely manages to call her name, on the verge of tears. "I–" 

A flash of lightning makes Minjoo flinch, and before the sound of thunder can reach her ears, Yujin pulls Minjoo close into her embrace, covering her exposed ear with a small pillow. The usually striking sound of thunder was reduced to a muffled 'boom'

Yujin releases Minjoo from her hold and Minjoo immediately feels the absence of Yujin's warmth, making her unconsciously pout.

"Wait here," Yujin instructs in her still sleepy tone, quickly climbing out of bed. She makes her way through the dark and Minjoo hears a soft but distinct 'bang', as well as an "ouch". Her heart swells at Yujin's actions – Yujin has always mentioned how much she loved the rain, and how she loved that it was the perfect weather for sleeping, but there she was, woken up at an ungodly hour, probably hitting her head against the door because she's blind as can be in the dark. 

Yujin shuffles back into the room just as quickly as she left, and pulls Minjoo up. She helps Minjoo into one of her oversized hoodies – because as much as she adores her own hoodies, she knows Minjoo loves them more – and drags her back onto the bed, using her left arm as a pillow for Minjoo. Yujin adjusts the comforter such that it surrounds Minjoo like a cloud, and hugs Minjoo tight. 

"You can go back to sleep now. I'm right here. You're gonna be okay. Hear my heartbeat? Just focus on that." Yujin mumbles, pressing a kiss to Minjoo's crown.

Minjoo responds with a weak nod and a kiss of her own, on Yujin's collarbone because that's the only place she can reach. The warmth and security she gets from Yujin's embrace remains unrivaled and Minjoo closes her eyes once more, surrounded by Yujin's comforting scent and the younger patting her back to lull her back to sleep. She finds herself tuning out the thunder and immersed in the calm and steady tempo of Yujin's heartbeat, and just seconds before she falls asleep she hears Yujin whisper,

"I love you. Sleep well, Minjoo."

Minjoo has always dealt with thunderstorms alone, but from now on, she has Yujin to protect her.