The Best Thing I Ever Did

Jinjoo One-shots

A teenage girl is seen walking towards the front gate of another lady's house - a common occurrence in the eyes of the latter's neighbours, especially on weekday mornings.

"Good morning, auntie!" She greets - or maybe slightly yells at - the older lady standing in the front porch of her home, watering a few potted plants near the front gate.

"Oh, Minju! Good morning. Come in! Have you eaten breakfast?" The lady, old enough to be her mother, responds, and opens the front gate for the young girl to enter; she sets the watering can aside and enters her home with the high school student trailing after her, closing the front door after they both enter.

"I ate breakfast on the way here, don't worry." The younger reassures, smiling slightly at the older lady who was already preparing to make a move to the kitchen -most likely to prepare breakfast or lunch for her daughter.

"By the way, where's Yujin?" Minju asks, noting the absence of the lady's daughter. At the mention of her daughter's name, the lady let out a soft sigh along with a chuckle.

"Yujin? Probably still in dreamland. She wouldn't respond no matter how many times I knocked on her door."

"Aish, that kid. I'll go wake her up now." Minju rolls her eyes, placing her bag by the dining table. The older lady chuckles again and ruffles the student's hair. "Thanks, Minju. I'm glad that kid has a reliable girlfriend like you."

Minju flashes the lady a quick smile before heading upstairs, blushing a little from the compliment. It definitely wasn't the first time she heard it, but she could never really get used to her significant other's mother's open praises.

"Ahn Yujin~! Time to wake up for school!" Receiving no response just like the girl's mother earlier, Minju decides to enter the room after several attempts of waking the former by knocking on her door.

"Yujin-ah! If you don't wake up now, you're gonna be late for school! And first period is BYJ's!" Minju warns as she enters the room and makes her way to the other girl's bed.

"Aish, seriously- hey, why're you sweating so much?" Shaking the girl's shoulder slightly, the older of the two feels an abnormal amount of heat from her skin. The younger was usually warmer than she was, but Yujin's skin was far too warm for Minju to dismiss it as her usual body temperature. "Yujin??"

Finally, the mentioned wakes up and looks groggily at Minju. "Minju? Is it time to go to school?" The girl's hoarse voice paired with her sniffling completely catches Minju off-guard, and her first response is to touch her forehead before retracting her hand quickly.

"Hey, you're burning up! What happened after you dropped me off yesterday? You caught a cold?" Minju asks worriedly, heart aching for the sick girl lying in bed. Yujin rarely gets sick, but when she does, she suffers as though she were on the death bed due to cancer. Minju settles down on the side of the bed, pushing away the younger's bangs from her face as Yujin continues sniffling while rubbing her eyes sleepily.

Yujin recounts her experience helping an old lady carry her groceries home, lending her her scarf as the old lady kept shivering. Her grandson was a tad bit too playful and stuffed snow down Yujin's shirt, rubbing it on her neck and anywhere his hands could reach. The old lady apologised for his behavior and offered her bathroom for Yujin to wash up, but the student declined her offer as she was rushing home to complete her assignment - after which she fell asleep before she could even remember to wash up.

Exasperated, Minju runs her hand through her hair. How can someone be so kind and stupid at the same time? She then notices Yujin trying to sit up and pushes her back onto the bed.

"No going to school for you today. Stay home and get this cold out of your system!" Minju sternly instructs the younger who was already pouting.

"But today's the class presentation-"

"To hell with that, you're not allowed to go to school today. Got it?" Minju glares, and the younger nods grudgingly. Minju's expression softens as she cups Yujin's face, caressing her cheek with her thumb. She must be really sick to not put up much of a fight.

"I'll let auntie know that you're sick. Listen to her and rest properly, alright? I'll drop by after school to take care of you."

Yujin nods obediently like a child, and stretches out her arms. "Cuddle me before you go, please?"

Awww sjxnkanxks she's so adorable, what a baby. Unable to resist the younger, Minju leans down and hugs Yujin tightly. She removes herself from the hug reluctantly and kisses Yujin on the forehead, her lips not only burning from the former's high temperature but also from their rare little intimate moment.

"I'll be going now, get well soon baby." Minju pats the younger's head and receives a sleepy nod and a soft "have a good day at school" in response before stepping out of the room as quietly as possible and heading downstairs.

"Oh? Where's Yujin?" Yujin's mom asks when she sees Minju come down alone and pick up her bag, now in a down mood as compared to her neutral but slightly excited mood when she first entered the house.

"Yujin-ie's down with a cold, so she's not coming today," Minju explains with a hint of worry and disappointment in her voice, "she lent her scarf to an old lady and her grandson stuffed snow in her shirt and on her neck."

"Oh my... alright, I'll handle her from here then. Thanks for letting me know." The lady smiles kindly at Minju who returns the smile. "Let me know if she gets too difficult to handle." Minju jokes, and Yujin's mother laughs.

"Don't worry about me, I'm her mother for a reason," her mother responds. "By the way, Minju, take this." The lady passes Minju a lunchbox and a sandwich. "Sandwich for you to munch on the way to school, and lunchbox for obviously, lunch. Yujin told me you eat so little at school, what's this I hear about only drinking iced tea for lunch? Growing girls like you need to eat more, especially pretty ones like you!" Yujin's mother nags.

"You didn't have to, auntie." Minju blushes from the care given by her girlfriend's mother, and her heart softens because where else could she find such a parent who treats her like their own child? Most parents would strongly disagree to Minju's relationship with Yujin but here Yujin's mother was, pampering her as if she were her own. "It's my job to take care of the person who tames that puppy. Now off to school, Minju. I know I'll see you later, so just leave the lunchbox here when you're done. And take this, too. Yujin's lunchbox. Just give it to Hyewon, so the food won't go to waste."

Knowing she wouldn't be able to put up a fight against Yujin's mother, Minju nods obediently just like Yujin earlier.

"I'll get going now."

"Of course, Minju. Have a good day at school." Minju smiles at the last sentence from the older lady and leaves for school in somewhat lifted spirits from her earlier slightly down mood. Like mother, like daughter.

-

"Huh? Minju, you're alone today?" A girl who has similar characteristics to a duck asks as she and her girlfriend spots the taller walking past the school gates alone.

Turning, Minju spots Yujin's best friend along with her girlfriend walking hand in hand towards her.

"Yeah, Yujin's down with a cold today."

"Huh?!" The duck-like girl gasps. "I thought idiots don't catch colds!!"

Giggling a little, her girlfriend smacks her shoulder. "So you say, but Yujin's the top of the class unlike you!"

Another gasp. "Jo Yul! I thought you were on my side!"

Minju laughs at her friends' antics, mood being lifted again. "Alright Yena, enough whining. Good morning, Yuri."

"What is this biasness? Why does only Yuri get a 'good morning'? I need my bestie back." Yena grumbles, and the other two laugh again before heading to class together.

-

"Minju, I know she's your girlfriend, but that doesn't mean you can take Yujin's lunchbox just because she's down with a cold. Even I wouldn't do that." Hyewon comments as Minju and Yuri enter the classroom, spotting a lunchbox in Minju's bag - an unusual occurrence. After all, between the two, only Yujin makes edible food. Hyewon would know.

Minju blushes in embarrassment as Yuri laughs. "I didn't take her lunchbox! Her mom made it for me because Yujin told her I wasn't eating well in school." She explains hastily before glaring at the other girl. "And don't say it like as if you don't steal everybody else's food!"

Hyewon expresses her understanding through raised eyebrows and her lips forming an 'oh'. "Looks like you've scored yourself a great mom-in-law. Aren't you glad. If only I weren't Yujin's cousin..."

Minju rolls her eyes, preparing her textbooks. "You only think she's great because of food." She pulls out Yujin's lunchbox from her bag, placing it on Hyewon's desk. "Here you go. From auntie. So Yujin's food won't go to waste."

Hyewon grabs the lunchbox and hugs it to her chest tightly, sighing.

"I really love auntie so much. Minju, wanna be Yujin's cousin instead?"

"Zip it before I take that lunchbox back."

-

The day passes as usual before the class presentation finally begins. Soon, it was Minju's turn. Yuri decides to secretly take a video by hiding her phone behind her pencil case, planning to send it to Yujin later on.

Minju takes a deep breath in front of the class, trying to calm her nerves as she remembers how Yujin would normally calm her down with a slight giggle and a kiss on the crown of her head. You can do it. You're Kim Minju, you can do anything.

"The best thing I ever did was meeting Ahn Yujin. If not for her, I wouldn't be here presenting because I wouldn't even have anything to present, I wouldn't be the Minju that greets other classmates, and I most definitely wouldn't be the Minju that entertains Yuri and her girlfriend."

Hearing Minju's small joke, the class erupts into laughter while Yuri pouts. At the positive response given by her classmates, Minju gains little more confidence and speaks louder.

"Before Ahn Yujin, others would know that I didn't have friends. People knew the name 'Kim Minju' because she was 'the prettiest girl in the whole grade', but they didn't know the person that name belonged to. That changed when Ahn Yujin came along. She brought not only 1 disaster, but 2 disasters known as Choi Yena and Jo Yuri-"

"-I don't deserve this-"

"-into my life and I realised that maybe some disasters were blessings in disguise."

"I take it back, I love you Kim Minju."

"A classic example of cheating on your girlfriend, folks." Minju jokes again, bringing the class into another round of explosive laughter.

"Ahn Yujin is like Shakespeare's work. I could never quite understand just how her brain ticked, but whatever she tried to convey, she did it through her actions and that was more than enough. Most people try to make their relationship look perfect, but she wasn't like that. She taught me both petal and thorn about love, that love wasn't just about sunshine and rainbows, it was also about stormy nights and heartaches."

The class fell silent, all agreeing that Yujin was an enigma, a classmate that was hard to figure out - you could have a thousand conversations with her yet still know nothing about her. But here Minju was, a changed person, sharing what their classmate was like. What Ahn Yujin really was, behind the constant smiles and seemingly naive personality.

"I became the Kim Minju standing here today because of Ahn Yujin. She brought the sun to the place where I once saw clouds. She believed in me so much, I started believing in myself. I laugh more often, I have people who stand by me and whom I can call 'friends', I'm more confident and most of all, I'm happier. Thanks to Ahn Yujin. And that concludes my presentation on the best thing I ever did."

The class (including the teacher) erupts into a chaos of cheers, whistles and applause for Minju's presentation, all deeply impressed by the words that left her. Yuri smiles and sends the video over to Yujin immediately.

The day continues uneventfully to Minju's relief and soon, the bell indicating the end of school sounds. For the first time, Minju packs her things in record time and leaves the classroom immediately, along with a smirking Yuri.

-

Minju exits the school building only to spot a familiar tall figure standing by the school entrance. She squints and there Ahn Yujin is, standing in all her glory, with messed up hair she obviously didn't bother to address, sporting a black shirt, denim jeans and a long black coat, as well as a medical mask that covered her nose and mouth.

"Ahn Yujin! Aish this kid!" Minju mutters under her breath, speeding up her pace to reach the taller girl quickly.

"Yujin!" Minju calls and Yujin turns, flashing her a smile. Minju couldn't actually see her smile, but Yujin's eyes turning into half-crescents tells Minju everything she needs to know about how the other is feeling. Yujin was smiling so brightly Minju could literally see the waves of happiness radiating off the sick girl.

"What're you doing here? I thought I told you to rest properly and that I'll drop by after school, this Ahn-daengdaeng!" Minju scolds, slightly glaring at the taller girl.

"I saw your presentation!" Yujin exclaims excitedly, hoarse voice still present from morning. "What?" Minju raises an eyebrow, surprised by the new information. Yujin whips out her phone and flashes the video Yuri sent her for Minju to see, and the latter blushes. "Yah! Where did you get this from?"

Yujin quickly stuffs her phone into her pocket before Minju can make a move to snatch it away, grinning. "Yah, you-!!" Minju's threatening words was interrupted by a series of coughs from Yujin, to which she quickly responds to by rubbing her back.

"Ugh- you know what, never mind. Let's get you home quick so you can rest up. You didn't even fix your hair, gosh. And why are you wearing such thin layers, it's winter and you already have a cold, are you crazy?" Minju nags, and the taller of the two chuckles. "I wanted to see you as soon as possible."

The shorter girl rolls her eyes and prepares to leave for home. "Let's go, before your cold becomes worse." Yujin grabs her by the wrist, stopping her from moving past her spot. "Thank you for whatever you said. I'm really happy about it. I love you, Minju." She thanks sincerely, looking at Minju with such tenderness in her eyes that if Minju didn't feel soft she probably wouldn't be human.

Minju holds both sides of Yujin's face, pulling her head down as she stands on her tiptoes to kiss her on the forehead. "I love you too," she replies softly. "Can we please go home now? I want you to hurry up and get well soon so I can stop taking care of a big baby and so I can stop making the extra effort to reach your forehead."

Yujin grins, and nods her head eagerly. "Alright." Minju lets out a small appreciative smile, and holds the taller's freezing hand in her own, beginning their walk home at a slightly faster pace than usual.

-

"Your hand is freezing cold." Minju complains as the couple makes their way back to Yujin's house.

"The rest of me is warm though. Especially my heart." Yujin jokes. "You know, I think the best thing I ever did was meeting you too. And the best thing I never did was that I never broke up with you, and that we're still together. And I really treasure that lots." She continues, becoming very attentive of Minju's reactions.

Ears red, Minju looks up at Yujin and smiles. "That's good to hear."

"I love you, Minju."

"I love you too."