Chapter 4

Black Meets Pink : Cold Night and Cherry Blossoms (JenSoo University AU fic)

Through the halls of Yonsei’s College of Music, the sound of a violin’s cry can be heard. Inside the music hall, Chaeyoung is by herself passionately playing Pablo de Sarasate’s Zigeunerweisen, Op. 20 (A/N: listen to the piece here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-My4X_OBNtI to set the mood. It’s beautiful!)

 A renowned violinist—that is what she is. But more than her talent, Chaeyoung Park is known as the daughter of a very prominent family in South Korea. Her mother, Jiwoo Choi was the only daughter of the late Minshik Choi: founder of their family conglomerate business, The Golden Chain, Inc. After Chaeyoung’s grandfather died, her father, Sungwoong Park took over the family conglomerate business as the new Chairman and CEO. Sungwoong is rather an honorable and simple man who is best friends with Jisoo’s father, Seongsu Kim, when they were in college. Just like Chaeyoung and Jisoo are.

Chaeyoung does have an older brother, Chanyeol, who gets all the limelight being the heir and future of the family business. Jisoo was supposed to be engaged with Chanyeol but all of it did not happen after a very unfortunate incident happened three years ago.

Being the child who is lesser known to the public, you would think Chaeyoung’s life is easy. Well, you’re wrong. Her vicious mother certainly would not allow that. Because her brother was gifted, her mother did not want her to be overshadowed. Chaeyoung was forced to learn and do other things and excel at it. One day Chaeyoung found her mother’s dusty old violin and curiously started fiddling. Jiwoo walked in and saw her daughter playing. After that, Chaeyoung’s mom became obsessed with making Chaeyoung the best violinist.

 So here we are.

In the quietness, the final sound of the bow touching the string resonated loudly. Chaeyoung's eyes were kept closed; her heavy breathing was steady, until she heard someone clapping in a corner. When she opened her eyes and searched for her lone audience, she saw a random girl who was coincidentally just passing by the theater but stayed to watch Chaeyoung's entire performance. She was sitting at the farthest back with her two thumbs up. Her straight bangs covered her forehead neatly and she was utterly impressed by the performance. To thank her unexpected audience, Chaeyoung lowered her head slightly as a small bow.

Just then her phone started vibrating. Chaeyoung checked who it was although at this time, she already knows it’s her mother calling.

Before she picked it up, Chaeyoung heaved a deep sigh first. “Yes, mom?”

“I’m sending the driver to pick you up.” Her mom said in the other line.

“But Chan—”

“Your brother is flying to Hong Kong with your father so he can’t pick you up. Come home quickly. The Professor from Julliard is on his way here to give you an exclusive violin lesson.”

Chaeyoung’s sigh was even heavier this time than just before she answered the phone. She could be sad that Chanyeol can’t pick her up from school this time. Or she could be tired from the long hours of practice and now her mom is telling her to practice more with a music teacher from abroad. Maybe she’s both. All Chaeyoung knows is she was really looking forward to hanging out with Jisoo later. But since Chanyeol is in Hong Kong, it’s highly unlikely that she can.

her mother wouldn't accept no for an answer, so with a dispirited voice, Chaeyoung just answered, “Yes mom.”

As soon as she ended the call, Chaeyoung heaved another sigh and then started packing her instrument into its bag. She almost forgot about the random girl who was watching her but she was still there.

“Hello,” Chaeyoung curiously started to which the girl replied heartily.

“Hello!”

She was all smiles that Chaeyoung couldn’t help but smile a bit too. She only said hello but Chaeyoung could tell she had a very distinct accent. But it’s definitely not an accent from the countryside. Anyway it was just a thought.

Suddenly, Chaeyoung’s phone vibrated again. ‘That was quick.’ She thought, thinking it’s the driver picking her up. But when she read it over, it was a text message from Jisoo.

Chi~<3<3
You’re coming tonight right?

It’s the fourth time Chaeyoung has sighed deeply. Refusing to reply right away, Chaeyoung walked out of the theater, passing by the girl earlier