Chapter 23

Black Meets Pink : Cold Night and Cherry Blossoms (JenSoo University AU fic)

 

retro-revival-sgdi-sarah-gallop-design-inc-img~1cd1b4d402783649_4-7196-1-2ba07b6.jpg

 

Jisoo-nim
I have something to tell you
1 image attached
Can we meet? I need to talk to you.

 

Jennie waited. The moment she read Jisoo's message, she sat there waiting at that same table at the convenience store. She's extra nervous at the moment. Wondering how Jisoo would approach her after she sent her the picture. After Jennie's visit at the prison to see Jisoo's father, she decided to be more honest and tell Jisoo everything. That Yerim is Jennie's sister and that she is safe and happy in New Zealand with her parents and Jisoo should know that so she sent her a picture of Yerim. Honestly, Jennie doesn't know what to expect.

Jisoo finally came. Looking a little distraught, and there's a bit of urgency in the tone of her voice when she asked Jennie questions. Most of it pertaining to the picture Jennie sent her, why she has it and how is Jennie related to the girl in the picture. Jennie explained everything.

"That's my sister, Yerim." Jennie smiled. "She was once your sister too."

Jisoo scoffed at the statement. Mocking herself. But aside from that Jisoo reacted pretty similarly as her father when Jennie visited and told him everything too. There was relief knowing that Yerim found her family.

"Yerim told me everything. It's the reason why I came to Korea. I've been admiring you for a long time, from afar. Wishing I would one day meet my sister's savior."

"Not everything." Jisoo blurted. Eyes misty with guilt. Just the thought of Yerim still thinking of her as a hero gives a bitter taste in Jisoo's mouth and a stinging in her eyes.

"What do you mean?"

Jisoo's jaw clenched. Fighting the urge to breakdown right then and there. She remained firm, despite the tears rolling down her cheeks. Jennie was confused so she asked again.

"What do you mean not everything?"

"I'm glad Yerim is doing well and has found her family. Truly, I am grateful for that. For you. But I am not the hero you think I am."

"But Yerim told me. You rescued her. You held her hand and you ran away together!"

"Yerim was ten!" Jisoo yelled which took Jennie a bit by surprise, "She was just a kid an--and I was barely an adult! She knew nothing! Everything she told you was just a lie! a facade! If you really knew what happened three years ago, you wouldn't be following me around like a puppy anymore."

--

Three years ago.

"You did well my love..." Jisoo couldn't even look straight at her father's eyes as he kept repeating that phrase. The atmosphere was gloomy and it's still broad daylight outside but it's a place where not even a little ray of sun could enter. Jisoo just looked down the entire time while his father talked through the telephone on the other side of the window. She was hiding her tears. They were angry tears and she didn't want him to mistake it for sad tears while he talked so annoyingly calmly.

"I don't resent you..."

"Stop saying that!" Jisoo shrieked.

"I know you can't even look at me right now because you hate me." Seongsu still continued. "But remember that Jisoo. You may resent me but I don't. I did it because you're my daughter and I love you. And I'm doing this, still because of the same reasons."

"I said shut up! Shut up! Shut up! SHUT UP!"

That would be the first and list time Jisoo visited her dad in prison. Jisoo smashed the telephone into the glass window that separates her from her dad inside where he just started serving his sentence for murdering the Chairman of The Golden Chain, Inc. Yes. Chaeyoung grandfather. Chaeyoung's mom was absolutely rabid at the "lucky" minimal sentence of only 5 years in prison.

The entire trial was like hell for Jisoo. Her father was pleading guilty and Jiwoo Choi made sure she never forgets that she's the daughter of a murderer. On top of that she had to testify and tell the court the horrors that occured that night.

--

It has been a while since Jisoo last visited the orphanage. She was already a first year attending university so she became too busy travelling from Seoul to the orphanage and back every weekend. But she was finally able to make time and see the kids she missed so much. She couldn't wait to see the girls faces again when they come runnie to her calling "Eonnie!"

Or so she thought.

When she arrived, it was quiet. None of the kids were playing soccer at the lawn. Which was weird because they loved running around as kids should. Maybe they were all just inside gathered by the fireplace to be warm. Jisoo went into the building and cheked but... the kids weren't there as well.

Jisoo started feeling uneasy. Although Jisoo has to admit, this uneasy feeling has been there for a very long time here in the orphanage.

A staff came out from the office and saw her. The staff recognized her right away and led her into the office and offered her some beverage.

Jisoo couldn't help but wonder and ask, "Why is it so quiet? Where are the girls?"

"Your father and Chairman Choi took them out to the aquarium today!"

"Oh... okay. Will they be back soon?"

Just then, a van pulled up at the soccer field. It's the kids. Elated, Jisoo rushed outside to see them finally again after months. The kids weren't able to hide their glee when they saw their beloved Jisoo eonnie as well! Jisoo was swarmed by hugs. Her dad who drove the girls here couldn't even have a chance to say hi to his own daughter.

One by one, Jisoo greeted each kid until her smile faltered when she realized one of them isn't here.

"Pa, where's Yerim?"

--

Jennie sat there, confused and in shock of the revelations Jisoo is telling her.

"That's right. I established the orphanage with my dad so rich pricks like Chairman Choi and his business partners could have a pick of which one they fancy to exploit. Like raising pigs in a farm."

Jennie, hearing this, finds it preposterous. It's ridiculous! She laughed thinking it's a joke. But Jisoo's eyes pinned down on her so menacingly and she knew she wasn't joking.

"Surely y-you... didn't know..."

"Does it matter?"

Jisoo felt Jennie's gaze towards her change. She felt a little disappointed to see it, and it hurt, perhaps a bit more than she expected. But Jisoo was already prepared for it. She watched Jennie, who felt too conflicted to stay there, slowly back away and leave. Jennie started running home. All she could think of at the moment was her sister.