Chapter I

Black Meets Pink : Cold Night and Cherry Blossoms (JenSoo University AU fic)

First day at Yonsei. It's a day that Jennie has been waiting for and finally it is here. She took a very deep breath the moment she stepped into the university premises. It took her three years to get here and she can't believe she made it! What better to do than to take all the time savoring the fresh autumn breeze and just breathe it all in. Everything was looking festive and everybody was loud with all the marching bands and whatnots. But what took Jennie's breath away the most was the orange moss covered administrative buildings. They call it 'The Castles' which is only fitting.

"All freshmen this way to the orientation please!" Jennie noticed a girl yelling at her post. She was wearing a yellow sash which easily identified her as a member of the student government. "Hey—you! You look like a newcomer. The orientation is this way." Much to Jennie's luck she was discovered and was caught off guard. "Come on, attendance is mandatory."

"But... I'm late for my first period." Jennie meekly reasoned. The yellow sashed girl only smirked at Jennie. But it wasn't the kind of smirk that judges. As a senior, it's pretty amusing to watch clueless freshmen.

"Sweetheart, there's always no class on the first day." She kindly informed Jennie. Although her tone did sound like she's posh but at least she's not snobby. "Except if you're from Engineering or the College of Science. The professors there don't give a  whatsoever. Are you?"

"Oh no." Jennie shook her head. "I'm from Social Sciences. I just didn't know."

"That's okay." The senior girl smiled. "You're a newcomer! You're suppose to be clueless. What's your name?"

"My name? Uh... it's Jennie. Jennie Kim."

"I thought you forgot. Anyway! I like you. You're pretty. Now here's your booklet, the orientation is this way. Go!" Jennie was a little confusedwhat, with the sudden compliment and the shoving of the booklet into the stack of books she was holding? And she didn't even say her name when Jennie did. That's not fair. The yellow sashed girl just practically pushed Jennie towards the venue.

Almost just a second before Jennie was completely pushed through the doorsjust before it closed back again behind her backshe caught a glimpse of the person that was the very reason why she's here in Yonsei in the first place. Passing by, in just a split second, carrying a basket. And just like that Jennie's day was completed. Her smile stretched from ear to ear. Although from the point of view of the other students inside the hall, she looked pretty dumb walking in the middle of the aisle, smiling like that like she was getting married.

--

Three years earlier.

In an apartment complex somewhere in Seoul, two girls are cooped up in a corner behind a couch, one girl, she’s no more than just a child of 10 years, was trembling like a cold duck underneath the older girl’s arm, crying and scared to her wits. The latter girl, a college student on her first year, held the younger girl closely to her. She was just as scared as the little girl was. Her heart was beating so hard she could feel her pulse in her temples. But despite that, she is protecting the little girl bravely. It was hard to see in all that darkness but she was making sure the child doesn’t witness the unspeakable scene happening in front of them.

Only the dim moonlight from the window was the source of light. And it reflected on the thick blood that was pooling on the floor, creeping and spreading like it was endless. A man was lying unconscious on top of them mess. ‘Is he dead?’ The older girl clutched the younger girl harder. Of course he’s dead. She was on the verge of panicking when another man’s silhouette moved in the shadow. The little girl was crying hysterically now. Staggering, the shadow crawled towards them and reached out to the older girl’s hand. He was smothered in blood and his expression was visibly terrified despite the scarce lighting.

“Jisoo…” The man uttered, sounding as calm as he could ever muster. But his lips and fingers were trembling. He leaned close and whispered something in her ear.

Jisoo, the older girl, remained in her spot but the tears began to flow uncontrollably. “Pa…” She cried in protest after hearing what was said. Her father’s eyes softened for a moment. But he was able to shake it off and he held his daughter’s hand firmly. There was determination and terror glinting in his eyes.

“Run.” Her dad told her as he let go of her hand. “Run!” He exclaimed louder.

Jisoo got up with the child and ran their way out of that place, not looking back; doing exactly what her father had told her to do.