Chapter 6

His Fallen Angel

Jinki had called him his friend. This certainly meant that their connection had changed again, but was this something good? Or was this some kind of omen for what was to come? The second time, Jinki had actually hesitated before asking for control, which confused Jonghyun immensely. There was absolutely no reason to be nice, but he felt himself warming up to his guardian angel. How could he even think of being anything but nice, to someone who had basically saved him from getting beaten up, and was right now, squealing in his head like an excited child? Like two sides of a coin, Jonghyun knew that Jinki would also have two sides, just like everyone else. After all, he had experienced it himself, when Jinki tried to burn his house down.

"I want to ask you something"

(Yes?)

"The second time we spoke, you almost burned down the room. Why?"

(That was the only way to scare you enough for you to invite me)

"Why did you need to be invited?"

(Well, inviting us is pretty symbolic. It signifies trust between the host and the angel)

"Host?"

(Well, that's what you are. I'm able to take control of your body and use it)

Jinki didn't want to let Jonghyun know that he could also easily control his mind. At this time, there was no need for Jonghyun to know anything more. Just the fact that he was being trusted was enough for Jinki. He felt Jonghyun could do with a lot of improvement from his confidence to his sense of style and Jinki was more than prepared to change him. 

Jonghyun sat thumbing through a fashion magazine that he found right at the centre of his dining table. Knowing for a fact that he hadn't kept it there, Jonghyun did allow the thought of a spirit or ghost roaming around in his apartment to cross his mind. He knew for a fact that Jinki was only in his head, and didn't have a physical form. 

(You're wasting your time, Jonghyun)

"I don't understand you"

(I mean, why are you looking at fashion magazines when you dress so horribly?)

That jibe hurt. While it was true that Jonghyun never bothered about what he wore, he liked to appreciate those who dressed well. 

"I could dress like this if I wanted to"

(Prove it. Let's go to the hair salon first. Your hair needs work, too)

This seemed planned. Now, Jonghyun was sure that it was Jinki who had somehow arranged for the magazine, as he seemed to want to effect some serious changes. In any case, perhaps Jinki was right. After making an appointment, Jonghyun went to the salon and sat in the chair looking through pictures of how he wanted his hair to look like. Jinki's terse voice mumbling 'No' to everything he looked at wasn't making his decision any easier, though. When he saw a picture of a person with two-toned hair, Jonghyun heard a small noise of approval.

"This? You think this is good?"

(I think it will suit you. Get a caramel colour with blonde for the fringe)

"I would look like lasagna"

(Just do it)

Since there was no other way, Jonghyun did as he was told, and ended up looking much better than he'd thought. The contrast between the two colours made his sharp features more noticeable. He had to admit, although grudgingly, that Jinki really did have good taste. Next up was a clothing store where Jonghyun was forced to spend on a leather jacket, several pastel coloured clothes, and most surprisingly, a pair of red pants.

"Red pants? Am I a clown?"

(Well, you act like one, so you may as well dress the part)

"There's no need to be so rude. What kind of guardian angel are you?"

(I never said I was one)

In any case, Jonghyun was starting to get heartily tired of having this creature around, when all he received were insults and sarcastic remarks. 

"How long do I expect you to stay in my head?"

(Ooh, someone's getting touchy)

By now, Jonghyun had figured out that Jinki was really nice to him when he wanted something, or when he was kept occupied.

************************************************************************************

Jinki was starting to get really bored, as Jonghyun seemed even duller and drearier than ever. Since there didn't seem to be any kind of excitement, it was up to Jinki to create some. He actually felt quite proud of his role in changing Jonghyun's appearance. Controlling Jonghyun's mind was something Jinki hadn't done yet, which he assumed would be really amusing. The worst part of Jonghyun was the fact that he had really strong willpower, which Jinki wouldn't be able to bypass when Jonghyun was awake. However, Jonghyun in his REM sleep state was a different matter entirely. Now that was something that seemed quite promising, and Jinki couldn't wait to try his luck. As usual, Jinki sent forth pleasing aromas and memories to help Jonghyun sleep, and when he was sure Jonghyun was in deep sleep, Jinki slowly tried to control his mind and body. At first, Jinki tried to stand up and ended up sliding off the bed, face down. After a few more attempts, he was finally able to stand up straight. As Jinki still hadn't got used to Jonghyun's body, it would take some more practice before he was ready enough to go outside. In the beginning, it almost felt like Jonghyun was a puppet and he was the puppet master, but now it felt like they were both fused together. Taking a few uncertain, baby steps around the room, Jinki slowly started to pick up the pace and run around the apartment, only to crash into a wardrobe. Feeling absolutely woozy, Jinki sat at the edge of the bed until the room stopped spinning. Feeling adventurous, Jinki looked through Jonghyun's memories as a five-year-old and chose one thing he wanted to do. Carefully standing on the bed, he started jumping rather vigorously, all the while waving a pillow around his head, like a lasso. Stopping once he felt dizzy, Jinki lay down in the same position as Jonghyun and entered his dream nonchalantly. Grinning as he saw that Jonghyun was dreaming about the first time they spoke, Jinki left Jonghyun's mind.

Jonghyun woke up with a lot of unexplained bruises on his body, with absolutely no idea how they got there. The most logical explanation he could think of was that he'd fallen down while getting a glass of water.